• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda What-Ifs

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
And be complacent, while never reaching the potential that is there? That's hardly any kind of philosophy to guide a company by if they hope to improve on what they created.
But they did, if you compare OoT and TP. OoT is a masterpiece, and TP is the improvement on the foundation OoT set.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
But they did, if you compare OoT and TP. OoT is a masterpiece, and TP is the improvement on the foundation OoT set.
But did they actually do anything new in a significant way? Not really. When you get right down to it, TP is pretty much the same structure that Ocarina established, and that ALttP established before it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
But did they actually do anything new in a significant way? Not really. When you get right down to it, TP is pretty much the same structure that Ocarina established, and that ALttP established before it.
I need to play alttp
Because it's a good structure, and TP does a lot of new things with it. Take the alternate form. In OoT, you can only transform in one place, but in TP you can transform anywhere and there's actual special mechanics besides just being smol. Or Ganon as the villain. OoT you know it's him from the beginning, which is fine, but in TP there's a mysterious new villain who turns out to be the underling of the same Ganon from OoT.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Because it's a good structure, and TP does a lot of new things with it. Take the alternate form. In OoT, you can only transform in one place, but in TP you can transform anywhere and there's actual special mechanics besides just being smol. Or Ganon as the villain. OoT you know it's him from the beginning, which is fine, but in TP there's a mysterious new villain who turns out to be the underling of the same Ganon from OoT.
Gameplay is a separate topic from story. Zelda hardly ever innovates on its stories. Majora's Mask is the most unique plot the series has, and even Aonuma has expressed that he's almost ashamed of how creative it is.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
How many people do you see praising Zelda's stories?
Gameplay is a separate topic from story. Zelda hardly ever innovates on its stories. Majora's Mask is the most unique plot the series has, and even Aonuma has expressed that he's almost ashamed of how creative it is.
They're fantasy adventure stories, something I enjoy. I guess they're not for everyone tho
even Aonuma has expressed that he's almost ashamed of how creative it is.
Can I have a source here?

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Can I have a source here?
He's never explicitly stated so, but his hesitancy to remake the game and desire to "fix" what he sees as the many issues with the original game as found in interviews has pointed to this. Poor wording on my part as I unintentionally made it seem as if he had said that clearly.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
He's never explicitly stated so, but his hesitancy to remake the game and desire to "fix" what he sees as the many issues with the original game as found in interviews has pointed to this. Poor wording on my part as I unintentionally made it seem as if he had said that clearly.
I was gonna say that seemed like putting words in his mouth. When you consider it was something thrown together in under a year and how it's so popular, it might be that he doesn't see it as his best work and resents it being popular.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
I was gonna say that seemed like putting words in his mouth. When you consider it was something thrown together in under a year and how it's so popular, it might be that he doesn't see it as his best work and resents it being popular.
Actually, I stand corrected, he did make very strong implications that he is at the very least somewhat ashamed of Majora's Mask.
Screenshot_2021-05-21 Was Majora's Mask 3D a Bad Remake (N64 comparison and review)(1).png
Screenshot_2021-05-21 Was Majora's Mask 3D a Bad Remake (N64 comparison and review).png

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They're fantasy adventure stories, something I enjoy. I guess they're not for everyone tho
Being a fantasy story doesn't give something a pass for subpar storytelling. Fantasy is my favorite genre of fiction, but if an author started releasing the same story with the same characters over and over, I'd stop reading them. That's just too much uncreativity for me.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
it wasn't popular for a while, it was considered a "black sheep" and "underrated" but then gradually grew in popularity, cult classic basically

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom