• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie In Hollywood

figthersword

Hylian Coward
All I know is that if this does happen, it better be really good, and done really well, with a big budget. It has potential to epically fail. Like, Hollywood could NOT half-*** it at all. And if the words "Well, excuuuuuuse me, princess!" are in it, I may just commit suicide on the spot lol.

An epic fail? wow what a waste of money.

I think quite a few of us have wished to see a big Zelda movie. I think I'd like to see one too, but then again, there is huge potential for failure. The way I see it, it needs a big budget, the best actors, and a great script. If not, most of the fans would not be entirely pleased with it. I've seen the Super Mario Bros. Movie, and it wasn't exactly the same as the game it was based on. I think many fear that the same thing could happen for Zelda.

If only the IGN trailer wasn't a joke, then perhaps that could be a decent movie...

If that happens many zelda fanatics will give a negative comment. no matter how beautiful the movie is.

i KINDA hope they make one, except give it a big budget and great production values like they did with prince of persia. now THAT would be awesome.

Better expect that there will be a big budget if Zelda movie comes in the Hollywood. I estimated the biggest budget for that is the effects specially the fairy, enemies, including powers of ganondorf just like in OoT.

What do you mean, by Hollywood, as in filming there? Absolutely not, but if they were to make the movie, knowing how they film these kinds of films, it would be somewhere like New Zealand, Iceland, England, etc. If they do, I hope the commitment to it is strong, not just making the film to make it, but to really put a lot of effort into the production. The problem comes with motion-pictures like this, and it's really a succeed or fail situation. They could make it great, and it will turn out like Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, or fail like The Last Airbender or Prince of Persia.

You're right there is a possibility that this movie might epic fail :'( i hope it wont happens.

I thought Prince of Persia was awesome! Why did it fail?

My theory for that it's because there are to many effects on it.

Last edited:

Master

Upcoming
I think it would be hard to make zelda into a movie , knowing that movies take parts off the film and put in scenes that the director thinks is better

D

Dar

I've said it a million times. IF they make a LoZ movie, they better make it an Anime. The characters can actually look like the characters, the magical aspects would be dealt with better, the voices could be matched better, etc... CGI could work too, but it would probably cost more than the studio would want to spend. Anime is cheaper and, if styled right, better.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I'm pretty sure that a group of people got together and made a movie that premiered in Atlanta Georgia for one day. From what I understand, it did not go over quite well with Nintendo and it was removed from the showings list before it was released at other theaters. So, I think it has happened, it's just that Nintendo didn't like it, nor did they want it.

D

Dar

Yeah, it was a good try. I saw it and can say that it wasn't bad. It was a fan film and an indy film, so it didn't have the budget to really make it well. It doesn't really count in my opinion. A bigger budget would have been better. The title was Hero of Time btw, and you can still find it for DL for free online. It's not illegal to DL or own just illegal for them to sell it, since they don't have rights to the characters and stuff.
____

Having it NOT be a live-action movie is the point of having it be an Anime. I think they wouldn't really do it justice as a live-action movie.

Din Akera

Sniper
First of all I will say, I would absolutely LOVE for there to be a Zelda movie, but I think it is very doubtful. And there is one reason why: the audience. It would be almost impossible to make a Zelda movie that the general audience, the fans, the theorist, and the crazy fans would all like. The fact of the matter is, there will be a portion of the audience that will disapprove or be upset in some way. let me expand:

What would the story be? Movies are much more about plot than about process. Now, I'm not for a second saying Zelda doesn't have plot, because it has a ton! (some games more than others) But, what game would be best to use for the plot of the movie? Or, should they do a large overview of the timeline? (that would make it a really really long movie, but hey), or should the movie be a completely new plot (as if a new game release)? The most obvious choice would be to do OoT because of the scale of audience it would reach/large fan base and the note that it has been called the greatest game of its time and the greatest of the series (that is you opinion, don't hit me, I'm just saying it has been stated). BSome would argue that it is not he best game and the movie should be based largely on WW. Again, what I have said applies.

Secondly, what do you do about dungeon's and bosses? The plot cannot be simply going to each place and killing a big bad monster, with the little plot sequences in between. Yet, you could not remove this aspect, because the whole point of that portion of the plot is for Link to prove himself to be worthy of holding the triforce of courage. Not only what do you do with them, but how indepth should the story of each be. We learned in the manga about Volvagia (I know its not canon, but good story anyway!), but if this was to be done with each boss, plus the plot of the game, it would be a really long movie. Cutting temples and bosses would result in uproar that someone's favorite temple was not included in the movie and I'm sure there would be much "how could they leave that out?" statements along with "why did they put that in instead" Again this goes back to my ' you will not please everyone' comment. Depth would be great. Most Zelda fan's love depth, that is why some of us play the game. Yet the length would become a problem. If there was no depth there would be complaint about the point of it all. (Of which I would be a part of.)

This exact point applies to puzzles as well. Should there be puzzles? How many? How would you allow that portion of a movie to connect to an audience the way a game does? There is much, much, MUCH less involvement in a movie situation than a gaming one. So what is the point of putting puzzles in the movie? But if there were none, would it have a Zelda feel?

Going off of that last sentence, that is something that should also be considered in plot creation. What makes a story Zelda? Just a kid running around in a green hat trying to save a princess from an evil pig monster? Of course not, we all know there is way much more to it in that. But how do you even remotely decided what should or shouldn't be included?

Third, what do you rate it/what age should the movie be aimed at? Personally I like a good action and gore movie. I'd love to watch Link blow up King Dodongo fro the inside and slice through Ganon's face. But the games are not aimed at a mature audience, so I'm sure if one was made this would not be the level of violence. but the game does consist of violence and so should the plot (going back to the proving himself). So therefore, it should be aimed at a little bit of a younger audience, with less violence and gore. But what about all the older fans (like me) who want a little more?

Fourth, who should be involved with the making of the movie? Should it be an independednt party? Or should Nintendo play a large role in plot development, characterization, and all the other decisions that will come up. Having Nintendo involved would probably allow for the 'correct/canon' decisions to be made and bring the game to the screen. But, Nintendo makes games, not movies so this could also be a hinderence to have them involved. Having a third party could be beneficial with fresh/new ideas, yet it could be castostrophic in that they do not know all they should of the story to make it successful.

Fifth, who should be casted for each role? Most fans have their own idea of what Link, Ganon, Zelda, etc, look like, or at least picture something very similar to the game graphics. Not to mention the fact that link was originally supposed to be you. To make the player feel like they were in the game and were the one running around in a green tunic. Link's character evolved out of that, but that was the intent. So how can you cast someone into a role that has so much preconstruction?

I know this post is mostly just a bunch of questions, but tell me, how do you even remotely begin to answer them to create a successful Zelda film?
I know what I would do, but i can gareuntee it will de different from everyone else in this forum and reading this thread.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Din you had a great analysis of major decision that need to be in place before anyone could move forward with a movie.
What would the story be?
I would suspect that it would be largely original, but if not I think that Majora's mask would work well. I can pretty much invision a character who is realizing he's got another chance after the first encounter with skull kid at the top of the clock tower.
Secondly, what do you do about dungeon's and bosses?
Yes this is tricky, but that's another reason why MM would be good to do! There aren't a whole lot of bosses and they can grow in epicness throughout the movie.
Should there be puzzles? How many? How would you allow that portion of a movie to connect to an audience the way a game does?
I think that the Prince of Persia movie handled this quite well. He (the Prince) was put in various situations that required him to use his acrobatics. I feel puzzles could be incorporated if it was done sparingly and carefully and never repeating a puzzle format within the movie.
Third, what do you rate it/what age should the movie be aimed at?
I think this is what would prevent a movie from happening. Kids play video games, but older gamers are the ones who are pushing for the movie. I think i could be managed much like the games. The enemies could just fall over or melt or dissolve.
Fourth, who should be involved with the making of the movie? Should it be an independednt party?
NO! I think it needs to be done keeping very true the games, that means using writers and head of design teams in the mix with the script writers.
Fifth, who should be casted for each role?
Unknowns. Although I always think unknowns should act every role. Someone who can actually act, that is, not your typical action movie actor (i.e. Channing Tatum or John Statham)

I think its do-able, but it has to be hollywood. No one else could match graphics. Weta needs to be on graphics, costume and prop design, and a real cool Indie-esque director like Neil Blomkamp or someone like that.

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I would suspect that it would be largely original, but if not I think that Majora's mask would work well. I can pretty much invision a character who is realizing he's got another chance after the first encounter with skull kid at the top of the clock tower.

Ehhh...no. Majora's Mask had a great story and could probably be most easily adapted into a good movie if it weren't for one thing: It's the sort of story that can only be told in a video game. Groundhog Day had a similar concept, and there was only so much they could do with it. You'd be repeating the plot 4 times, maybe more, to make Majora's Mask work as a movie, which would make it boring and repetitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom