• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is It Link Never Lives in Castle Town?

This is just a thought that passed my mind just now.

Wouldn't Link's adventure be easier for him if he lived in Hyrule Castle Town? That way he would be able to see Princess Zelda quicker if the plot demands it?

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
He is not always not from Castle Town. If I'm not mistaken The Minish Cap has Link living in the Castle Town and I guess some others do as well.

Edit: Also, he's meant to be a Link between the city and the forest. And game mechanics. Keeping the plot interesting you know.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Yeah it could be easier providing he knew Zelda but at the same time he could just be a struggling peasant, and have never met the princess, I think it's bound to happen one of these days.

Night Owl

~Momentai
He lived in Skyloft, which is a fairly large starting town.
Maybe he doesn't care for city life which is why he lives just outside the city in some games.
Maybe it's easier to plunge him into a quest if the starting area is slow and sleepy.

Sure it might be easier if he lived in Hyrule; But even when he makes it with plenty of time, he still cant prevent the villain from turning zelda to stone, or something.
Just look at MC; you spend the whole morning with Zelda, and still can't stop vaati with your puny shield.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
The Hyrule Castle Town is more of a place for snobby, rich, top-class citizens. And Link isn't a one. And if he'd live there, there wouldn't be much adventuring to find Zelda or go to Hyrule Castle, (since that's usually in the games) and if Zelda's already near Link, I don't think it would feel like an adventure to walk a few meters, and be like:"Hiya Zelda! U fine? No monsters?". No, not like that.
Though it could be possible, that Link would live there first, and afterwards, let's say--- an earthquake would come, caused by monsters, and it would destroy the town, and Link would have to run away. (And if it's destroyed, the player could rebuild it.) And stuff.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I think this convention has to do with the Hero's Journey story that is prevalent across many Zelda games. In the Hero's Journey the protagonist (Link) leaves a comfortable, familiar place of relative safety to the greater world beyond. To the hero, this world is a strange place of strange people and danger and the hero is required to come to terms with this world and master it. In all of Link's starting areas (Ordon, Kokiri Village, Outset Island) Hyrule is spoken as if it is a legendary place of much import and many wonders that is often considered somehow separate from Link's place of origin. When Link crosses over in to Hyrule, this is like Luke leaving Tatooine on the Millennium Falcon, Alice falling through the Rabbit Hole into Wonderland, or Bilbo/Frodo leaving the borders of the Shire.

Contextually it makes sense as well. As Link, we the players have no familiarity with Hyrule. If Link lived there, he would know all the secrets, but we wouldn't. It wouldn't make sense that we would drive Link to find secrets when he, the protagonist, already knows where to find them if he were a resident of Hyrule all his life. But mostly, I think the narratives like to give the sense that Link is a stranger in an unfamiliar world.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Link generally seems to be an outsider in the games, which makes him distinct. If he was from Castle Town possibly it would detract from the character. Especially in games like OoT where his difference (especially to do with his clothes) is remarked upon by NPCs. It gives you a better idea of him being this hero. I agree with Castle too, it makes sense in context as a gamer.

Ya i think its that whole concept of a peaceful life before the storm. a city life would keep the player on his/her toes, and they would be completely ready when the plotline twisted. Living mellow gives it more of that 'holy crap we're starting!' feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom