• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does TV Suck?

Omega Fury

I ain't mad bro!
Look what's on all the time through out the United States, stupid TV shows. There's only fewer good TV Shows, A lot of channels have gone downhill because they can't put nothing good on TV that doesn't include people complaining about their lives.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I think part of what you're experiencing is growing up; a lot of the cartoons and shows you see today are of what is essentially the same groundwork as the cartoons/shows of yesteryear. What you found back then is what you stuck to as a child, but when you see the same stuff in a different skin, it seems to be "stupid" because you didn't grow up with it.

Although, I can vouch for many channels that hosted some of the greatest cartoons ever (CartoonNetwork, Disney, Nickelodeon) having fell from grace. It's natural; you can't keep up talent forever! :P

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I kind of agree with you. There isn't much on TV that I like. The only thing I really watch these days is the show NCIS on the USA Network. Other than that, I don't really watch anything on TV. Most of it is either crummy reality shows or stupid sitcoms. And I hate both reality shows and sitcoms.

Omega Fury

I ain't mad bro!
The only good shows i watch is Tosh.o and Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory. Fantasy Factory is the only better MTV show because they don't act like 4 year olds (Rob mostly does)

bunny

birb overlord
Ehh, I sort of agree with you. Whenever I turn on the TV it's all about people's dramatic personal lives or depressing stuff on the news. However, there are still a few shows that I enjoy watching like Adventure Time, The Big Bang Theory, and I kind of like Bones, but it's starting to go down the drain. Other than that, the only TV shows that I watch all come from Japan. xD America's TV is slowly becoming all junk. In fact, when my dad flips through our TV channels, he calls it the "crap lap." In other words, he's just curious if anything good is on, but he knows there won't be.

Television broadcasting companies care about positive ratings and viewership more than anything else. This often leads to channels filled with old hit programming hesitant to branch out new directions for fear of losing ground to their competitors.

Television is also one of the more expensive media outputs with license renewal required every five or so years, Less and less firms are gaining control over a larger share of the market.

I don't watch television much anymore and created a thread on the topic earlier this month but it is good for reminiscing old favorites from time to time. The Internet is an easier and quicker method to access your favorite programs.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I watch little TV shows anymore. The only two I regularly watch anymore are Fringe and Supernatural (although I'm hoping to get into Breaking Bad and Community), and I absolutely despise most "reality" tv shows and sitcoms. Laugh tracks...I can hardly stand them....

If it sucks, you might be watching too many documentaries on Black Holes. Or you just have an :eek:nion:

However, it does appear a lot of things have been dumbed down for the stupidity of our current world. Take a lot of the remakes of Looney Toons, for instance. People don't know that Wile E. Coyote is dropping anvils on Road Runner is for pure comedy and that they shouldn't actually try that in real life, so they have to make stupid humor for stupid people. [They've done this in literature, too. A lot of school libraries have banned Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss for promoting general stupidity].

Have you ever heard of the old television show, The Three Stooges? My dad, sister and I used to watch that show a lot together. And then, they recently came out with a movie based off of that show, but with a more modern twist and whatnot. And there was not a single food fight. The Three Stooges' reputation on food fights in the actual shows were amazingly entertaining. And then, because of stupid people and the uncommonness of common sense, they had to include a little clip at the end of the new movie, just before the staff roll, explaining that whacking people on the head with hammers was not a safe thing to do. I know this is regarding a movie, but it's the same thing for a lot of things--especially for children's shows. *coughSpongebobcough*

Not only that, but a lot of television series start going downhill after the scriptwriters begin to run out of ideas, and as the actors get themselves into trouble *coughCharlieSheencough*. The best time for a series is after it just takes off and the characters' roles are established. "I guess you could say that... Two and a Half Men really lost its..." *puts on shades* "Sheen." No, but that really applies to anything on television, not just sitcoms like that. I'm glad the show Everybody Loves Raymond ended when it did, because the actor who played the role of Frank Borone--Peter Boyle--passed away shortly after, and the show would have just deteriorated without him, as his role was one of the funniest in that series.

But, back to black hole documentaries... documentaries can be some of the only legitimately good things on television now. Especially when you have random guys interjecting: "I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens!" Except, National Geographic seems to play more things related to drugs than science anymore, so meh. Yeah, there's a show called American Greed on MSNBC, and there's a show called American Weed on NatGeo. What has the world come to?

It's just because humanity is suffering an onslaught of the stupidity plague and the species is too... ignorant... to try to correct it. :eek:nion:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
There isn't much point of watching TV anymore. The Internet will probably replace television as the main entertainment medium in a similar way to how television replaced the radio. Sure, we still have radio in cars but not so much in homes anymore. Now that television shows can be viewed on the Internet there isn't really a reason to watch television will all the advertising and the fact that you can't watch the exact show you'd like to watch at anytime (unless you record it). In terms of actual programs, I wouldn't know what shows there are in America. Here in Australia there isn't much that interests me though.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I can agree that there are a lot of crap shows being made, but I do always seem to find at least one or two current shows that I really love and enjoy. Current shows I love right now: Doctor Who, Castle, Lost Girl, Bones, NCIS - to name a few. And I'm sure that by the time those end I will find one or two new shows that I'll love as well (I'm a TV addict, lol).

It depends on your taste I guess because right now, I'm loving my TV. TLC, Animal Planet, A&E, NATGEOTV, I hardly even watch normal TV anymore, its all docus and "reality tv" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom