• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why can't Link just speak?

I don't know if you've noticed in the series yet, but there are two big words that are prevalent: destiny and fate. No, it isn't anything cool like in Kingdom Hearts. It's just saying that Link and friends are pawns in a scripted story. Link has never had the need to speak because he has never been an interesting character. He has never BEEN a character, really, except in Skyward Sword.

Not quite sure what you're saying, but I agree that themes of fate and the common reaction to it have played interesting roles in the series, especially in the 3d installments, SS specifically. However, I feel as though the perspective we've been given is rather one sided, mainly because we as the player aren't given a voice in the narrative. Perhaps if Link could speak, our thoughts and emotions would be better articulated in the game, and the thematic drive would be better communicated overall.

If they gave Link (and the rest of the franchise's characters for that matter) a voice actor and personality, it better be good. I don't want Zelda to have the kind of voice acting like Super Mario Sunshine or Sonic Adventure 2. I would be okay if the voice acting worked well, like in Xenoblade Chronicles, but otherwise it would ruin a whole game.

Uuuuhg, damnit, ok. I really really wanted to try to read this entire thread before posting, but I just keep coming up with too much to say. So what I'm going to say now is just my opinions on things. If it feels like I'm calling out or responding to anyone in particular, I'm not, I likely haven't even read what you'd said yet. Anyway…

First off, I cannot agree with the idea that Link cannot be given a voice or complicated dialogue because he serves as the player avatar. My evidence: Master Chief. He is by and large regarded as the almost quintessential gaming "Blank Slate", but he is by no means without a personality. In fact, for anyone who looks past all the pot shots about him being a non-character, there are actually many things you can surmise about John through his interactions with other people, and with Cortana, and more importantly, the differences between those two types of interactions. It paints a picture of a man who is no-nonsense, and who deals with other people in a very regimented line of authority. If you outrank him, you see and hear that in everything he says and does. If he outranks you, you get the same. But Cortana, he is very back and forth with, he is kinda glib with her and in turn responds well to her own sarcastic attitude. He debates the merits of ideas and plans with her, even though he usually defers to her judgement. But unlike any other character ever in any of the games, he does so not in submission to the chain of command, but out of mutual respect. All of this in turn shows you that he is a very detached individual in most cases, but is capable of deep interpersonal relationships. It just takes an incredible amount to get there. Not surprisingly, he only ever shows this sort of attitude to Dr. Halsey, Cortana's creator and real-life counterpart.

So to say that Link can't speak in order to keep him as a player avatar… is completely off the table. I can't think of ever hearing someone say they liked the Halo games or lore, but that 117 needed to "talk less" or that he broke their immersion. If anything, having something of a foothold of personality allowed what would normally have been a regular FPS to have moments of surprising emotional connection.

The second thing I'd like to bring up is that if Link were given real dialogue, and therefor allowed to showcase a healthy range or personality, it could arguably wind up improving the games in other ways. Think about this: how many times have you been playing a Zelda game, and either had to a) sit through a longwinded speech delivered by someone, only to respond with a single line or two that was just you agreeing to do whatever irritating chore the NPC was sending you on, or b) sat through two or more characters talking over you to each other, and then you still just agree to do whatever it is they want you to go do? The correct answer is "literally all the time, every time, because that is what happens." But imagine a scene in which Link is given equal weight in the discussion. Done correctly, it would actually give players more of a sense of immersion and agency, because they'd no longer feel like they were being bandied back and forth like a piece of driftwood on the tides of other character's wishes. It would also keep you invested in the entire discussion, instead of making you get through some of it and then shout "BLA BLA BLA OK OK TRIFORCE GANON SAVE THE THING YEAH I GET IT SHUT UP ALREADY."

The point is that, unlike in the 80's and 90's, we now have a monolithic catalogue of Link's exploits. We've been able to see through our history with him that he is not a blank slate, that he does have a few key defining characteristics to serve as a tentpost for wherever else a story might want to explore. We no longer need him to be a non-entity in order to immerse ourselves, because we get it. We're along for the ride. We know what the daring little lad is about and we're totally on board. Because the dynamic between the audience and Link has changed. Before, it was ourselves we took into the game, and used him to do it. But now, we're here for Link, to be him, to be the daring, courageous, eternally heroic Paragon for the land of Hyrule, and I think audiences are demanding that we be allowed to explore him more as a person (though they may not realize this consciously). Back then, it was graphics and gameplay that had loads of room to evolve, and story and character could take a back seat, no problem. But now, with graphical fidelity approaching the tip of the chevron, it's story and character that have nearly boundless room to grow. And I think by not giving Link more personality, Nintendo is curtailing their ability to deliver that.

Also, I'd like to point out further, that as he is now, Link is not a true avatar. Just one example to illustrate my point:

Early on in Skyward Sword, Zelda dumps your lumps over the edge to have you careen towards the ground, birdless. You nearly die, put her in danger, cause her emotional duress at almost having killed or hurt you with what should have been harmless fun, and you then have to go out of your way to find your Loftwing, nearly missing what is essentially your Final Exam. And what was the cause of all this? Someone who, at the time the player comes in, just seems to be a bulky blockhead who has caused you nothing but trouble with his band of cronies. At this point, you as the player totally have the right to be full blown pissed at the culprit. Now, if the Link in this game were truly an avatar for the player, then you'd be given a chance do do something to him to express your own emotions. Something covert and sneaky, or something overt, like shouting him down. And yet, you are never given this choice. Why? Because the game, the story, has a preconceived notion not only of Link, but of his relationship with these people. One that you aren't privy to, but can draw conclusions about from the things Link does and doesn't do in this situation. That's not an avatar, that's a character.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm not a fan of avatar characters. I tend to remember characters like Solid Snake, who have defined personalities and choices. Honestly I think I remember Ganondorf from OoT more than Link, because he has unique lines of dialogue and mannerisms. I want a hero I enjoy playing as, someone idealistic and whose example fills me with positive attitude. So yeah that whole "link to the player' concept never appealed to me too much. I still don't want him to talk. It's one of the things that makes the series unique and creates some unique writing decisions. I love this series too much to see it abandon its unique quirks and traditions. You may not agree, but it's my hope the series stays the way it is voice-wise.

Early on in Skyward Sword, Zelda dumps your lumps over the edge to have you careen towards the ground, birdless. You nearly die, put her in danger, cause her emotional duress at almost having killed or hurt you with what should have been harmless fun, and you then have to go out of your way to find your Loftwing, nearly missing what is essentially your Final Exam. And what was the cause of all this? Someone who, at the time the player comes in, just seems to be a bulky blockhead who has caused you nothing but trouble with his band of cronies. At this point, you as the player totally have the right to be full blown pissed at the culprit. Now, if the Link in this game were truly an avatar for the player, then you'd be given a chance do do something to him to express your own emotions. Something covert and sneaky, or something overt, like shouting him down. And yet, you are never given this choice. Why? Because the game, the story, has a preconceived notion not only of Link, but of his relationship with these people. One that you aren't privy to, but can draw conclusions about from the things Link does and doesn't do in this situation. That's not an avatar, that's a character.

Exactly.

There are a wide variety of similar situations in which Link's character is established, if not through his own facial expressions, then through the actions of himself and others. Every Link since Wind Waker (Minus maybe ALBW Link, as that story was seemingly more about Hilda and Ravio) has had an enormously expressive Link with a fully-established backstory. You learn through interactions with other characters what his feelings on situations are. You learn through his occupation and what kind of stuff he keeps around the house what kind of guy he is, what his hobbies are, his likes/dislikes, etc.

As long as we're on the subject of Skyward Sword:

Unlike most games, SS Link was head-over-heels for Zelda, which they went out of their way to emphasize through Link's expressions and actions. Dreamy-eyed stares and other tells were very frequently used. For being one of the more "real" looking Links, he had some downright squash-and-stretch expressions and scenes, which established him as a bit of a goofball. His bedroom had some handcrafts in progress. He was apparently notorious for sleeping in. And not that I think they were purposely trying to copycat recent movies or anything, but they gave him a slight Hiccup-ish air. (Especially considering at least one boss had to be defeated in-flight.)

Master Chief is the perfect example, one I use myself quite often. There's really no point in maintaining the illusion that Link is a blank slate. Most games have to establish Link as a totally new person to emphasize the fact that he is not the guy from 3 games ago or whatnot, even if he might be taking over a job the guy from 3 games ago left unfinished. Even if they claim to try not to define him, the fact is, they *do* define him.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Link does speak. In TP Telma says about his voice and in WW you can actually hear him say 'Come on' when calling a statue. SS also gives him speech options.
Why doesn't he speak more? That's the question. It is quite clear that he is a character in the newer games rather than a player avatar and therefore not having him say a lot does not help the player become him any more because that is not what happens. If the player was really supposed to be the main character then there would be a crazy amount of customization in terms of gender, build, facial features e.t.c

The reason is in the 3D games at least the follower is Link's mouth piece. The follower talks enough for 2 people combined and tells the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom