• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why can't Link just speak?

Rock Lee! XD Ok I had good laugh at that. Like I said, I'm so used to him being mostly quiet that I don't care if I hear him speak, but a mixture of preprogrammed and choice based text would be nice to see more often.

Clearly Nintendo got their way, we're so used to him not speaking that a lot of us couldn't have it any other way. Though it'd be the ultimate troll move if Link's first spoken in words games that we ever hear is Excuuuuse me princess! XD

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
At this point in the series I think it is just ridiculous to keep him as the totally silent avatar only. That worked out in the early days when games had little story outside of what was spelled out in the instruction booklet, and in the immediate next generation when story was still pretty small and very secondary to the gameplay. To the point of things can be dropped or ignored and few fans would care to ask questions.

But now I really wonder just how long Nintendo can keep on going with the same 80's era philosophy of the main protagonist does not need a voice, an origin, a personality, and is very little more than a bot the player controls. Especially when much of the competition is forming very story driven games revolving around the personal events and feelings of the protagonist. Which ultimately leads to other tie in materials like novels, shows, etc. It is looking like the Zelda series is falling behind its peers in this area.

At this point in the series I think it is just ridiculous to keep him as the totally silent avatar only. That worked out in the early days when games had little story outside of what was spelled out in the instruction booklet, and in the immediate next generation when story was still pretty small and very secondary to the gameplay. To the point of things can be dropped or ignored and few fans would care to ask questions.

But now I really wonder just how long Nintendo can keep on going with the same 80's era philosophy of the main protagonist does not need a voice, an origin, a personality, and is very little more than a bot the player controls. Especially when much of the competition is forming very story driven games revolving around the personal events and feelings of the protagonist. Which ultimately leads to other tie in materials like novels, shows, etc. It is looking like the Zelda series is falling behind its peers in this area.

That's Nintendo for you. They still live in the past, so giving Link a voice isn't their top priority. Same for not giving their games something new to the gameplay other than better graphics.

It has been stated that Link's purpose is to serve as an avatar of sorts—a 'link' between the player and the game world. As part of that package, Link was given a blank slate as a means to allow the player to imbue their own personalities onto him. In order for this to work to the greatest effect, I think that it's best if he remained voiceless.

Yes, but we're not imbuing our personalities into him; the game is scripted in a very specific way, to draw from you a very specific emotion; Link is given personality through the context of the scene, primarily because the scene makes you feel a specific emotion. The game is imbuing its emotion into you, and you reflect that through Link; an ingenious idea, but not one which requires him to remain silent.

I do share your sentiments-- I do realize that giving Link a voice, yes, might feel a little awkward; You're comfortable with the way things are, I'm comfortable with the way things are, but I feel as though this is only true because of our own ignorance. This custom of a voiceless Link has become tradition for tradition's sake, with the same cardboard arguments put up to defend it. The Zelda community refuses to take the next step, but why? Why not give it a try? Why can't we stop citing age old philosophies that no longer ring true? Giving Link a speaking role-- reactionary, like I said-- will be a bit bumpy at first, but it can only go uphill from there.

Yes, but we're not imbuing our personalities into him; the game is scripted in a very specific way, to draw from you a very specific emotion; Link is given personality through the context of the scene, primarily because the scene makes you feel a specific emotion. The game is imbuing its emotion into you, and you reflect that through Link; an ingenious idea, but not one which requires him to remain silent.

I do share your sentiments-- I do realize that giving Link a voice, yes, might feel a little awkward; You're comfortable with the way things are, I'm comfortable with the way things are, but I feel as though this is only true because of our own ignorance. This custom of a voiceless Link has become tradition for tradition's sake, with the same cardboard arguments put up to defend it. The Zelda community refuses to take the next step, but why? Why not give it a try? Why can't we stop citing age old philosophies that no longer ring true? Giving Link a speaking role-- reactionary, like I said-- will be a bit bumpy at first, but it can only go uphill from there.
I would have liked to quote just one part of your post, but mobile is being a huge ass rn, you have no idea. lol

But yeah, what I meant in the paragraph that you quoted was that that is the concept that they were going for with Link's personality. Whether they did a good job at it, or whatever, is moot. I agree with you, though. I'm weird in that while I much prefer the status quo, I am open to whatever Nintendo decides to do. As shown time and time again, I'm going to buy and enjoy the game regardless. I'm such an oddball. lol

The Elder Scrolls does the same thing and it works for them. I don't think keeping Link silent is the problem. I am fine with the rest of the cast getting voice acting, but there is no reason Link needs it. It would turn me off, just as it would in TES.

ich Will

Not very nearfetch'd
I agree with Seth's post above. I could tolerate voice acting but Link shouldn't talk imo, like Skyrim.

I'm not really into cinematic-types of games so I can't say much, all I know is I probably wouldn't care much either way if Zelda had voice acting, if it benefits Zelda and most of the fans then why not. Depends on how they'd do it too.

Also, it hopefully wouldn't take up resources from the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Why does Nintendo have to go to one extreme or the other: Blank Slate or Complete Character? I like having a nice middle ground with a character who we can place ourselves in, but is still able to interact with the world around him.

guys correct me if im wrong,but i thought letting link speak and voice acting in zelda were two separate things

It could go either way with text or talking.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Sorry if this was already said. But it is relevant as it's what I notice. Nintendo at least has moved from Link being silent and there never being an indication that he says anything, to him very obviously having rather long dialogues we don't hear and don't see. So he is no longer a mute. I'd really like if he started being fully voiced, all the characters. Or at least him getting his own text dialogue. But I don't expect Nintendo to do that. They do like sticking with their traditions. When they change, it's usually something superficial like the controls and not the core identity of a game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom