• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why can't Link just speak?

Sorry if this was already said. But it is relevant as it's what I notice. Nintendo at least has moved from Link being silent and there never being an indication that he says anything, to him very obviously having rather long dialogues we don't hear and don't see. So he is no longer a mute. I'd really like if he started being fully voiced, all the characters. Or at least him getting his own text dialogue. But I don't expect Nintendo to do that. They do like sticking with their traditions. When they change, it's usually something superficial like the controls and not the core identity of a game.

Can you blame em? Nearly everytime they try something outta the box nowadays fans jump down their throats and throw a hissy fit

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Can you blame em? Nearly everytime they try something outta the box nowadays fans jump down their throats and throw a hissy fit
Ironically enough, most often for good decisions and not enough for the bad ones. But still, the decisions that get criticized rarely have anything to do the core structure of the games. It's always something else. Something more real world. Lately it's been hardware issues. Bitterly complaining that the 2DS and New 3DS are even a thing. Complaining that the small New 3DS isn't coming. Things like that. I agree with some, disagree with others. Still rarely has to do with the core identity of the games.

Ironically enough, most often for good decisions and not enough for the bad ones. But still, the decisions that get criticized rarely have anything to do the core structure of the games. It's always something else. Something more real world. Lately it's been hardware issues. Bitterly complaining that the 2DS and New 3DS are even a thing. Complaining that the small New 3DS isn't coming. Things like that. I agree with some, disagree with others. Still rarely has to do with the core identity of the games.

I was talking about the core identity of games. If they take a chance on trying new changes in a core franchise fans throw a fit because its not what they're used to. not all of em, but a lot do. I can't help but think that fans have some say in the stagnation of videogames. after all they're a business and they exist to line their own bank accounts when all's said and done

ich Will

Not very nearfetch'd
If anything, Nintendo's conservative approach to business has a more significant role in why they don't want to change much. That is how companies tend to work in Kyoto, or so it's been said.

LinkIsSexy

Kissing Link is like chocolate; rich and sweet.
Link can't speak because he's stunned by Zelda's beauty. FACT.

No, you have that wrong. He's too stunned by my beauty.

I think it's just because he doesn't need to. What's the point?

Exactly. And when you really sit down and take time to think about it, even though he doesn't speak with words, his eyes and facial expressions say much, much more than any words could.

I think it's just because he doesn't need to. What's the point?
There's been no need in the past because the script writers molded the npc's' dialogue to conform to Link's muteness. You only say this because you're ignorant, as is everybody, of just how much better conversation would be with a speaking Link.

If he could actually respond, dialogue wouldn't be limited to to just the npc's thoughts; you, as Link, could play an active role in conversation (and, by extension, story), could influence others' ideas and actions just as they influence yours/his, instead of just taking everything like a loyal dog.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
There's been no need in the past because the script writers molded the npc's' dialogue to conform to Link's muteness. You only say this because you're ignorant, as is everybody, of just how much better conversation would be with a speaking Link.

If he could actually respond, dialogue wouldn't be limited to to just the npc's thoughts; you, as Link, could play an active role in conversation (and, by extension, story), could influence others' ideas and actions just as they influence yours/his, instead of just taking everything like a loyal dog.

Okay

1.) Don't call people ignorant because they don't agree with you. It reminds me of a certain someone.

2.) Link is a combination of an avatar and a character in the story. Having him mute is just part of his avaterness.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman

As Snow said, please don't call people ignorant because they disagree. It is completely based on opinion, so that word has no meaning in this discussion.

And I think that the issue of Lnk having a voice will always come back to the character vs. avatar argument. IMO, Link doesn't need a voice, I prefer to imagine him as an avatar for me to feel immersed into the game. However, like Darkest said, why can't there be a middle ground, like SS (which had as much character elements that I'd like).

Okay

1.) Don't call people ignorant because they don't agree with you. It reminds me of a certain someone.

2.) Link is a combination of an avatar and a character in the story. Having him mute is just part of his avaterness.

1. Sorry if it wasn't clear-- I used "ignorant" as applying to all, including myself, and in the most raw sense of the word; as in, we are literally completely oblivious to any pros (and, I'll be fair, cons) to giving Link a voice, as we simply haven't experienced it; as in, we can't unconditionally support giving Link a voice, nor can we refuse to acknowledge the possibility, because we're all viewing the Zelda universe through a certain lens, and beyond that is an entirely new dimension. But we can hold a debate; and that's what I see far to little of.

Once again, sorry if you were offended-- it wasn't an attack on you personally, nor your opinion, but rather an explanation of why we can't necessarily argue there's no "point" to experimenting.

2. Did you... read my post? My entire argument was that muteness is not necessary to maintaining Link's avartar-ness.

Because Link shouldn't speak ever, and that doesn't have anything to do with the cartoon or the CDI games.

THANK YOU.

Link doesn't need words to speak his mind.

I think you're fooling yourselves. Unless displaying borderline primordial emotion counts as "speaking his mind," Link's done no such thing. Ask yourselves, when has Link actually expressed any intelligent thought?

His lack of speech is honestly just a setback at this point.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ask yourselves, when has Link actually expressed any intelligent thought?
I don't know if you've noticed in the series yet, but there are two big words that are prevalent: destiny and fate. No, it isn't anything cool like in Kingdom Hearts. It's just saying that Link and friends are pawns in a scripted story. Link has never had the need to speak because he has never been an interesting character. He has never BEEN a character, really, except in Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom