• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Water Dungeon is the Best?

Which Water Dungeon is the Best?

• Swamp Palace: ALTTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angler's Tunnel: LA

• Catfish's Maw: LA

• Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly: OOT

• Water Temple: OOT

• Pirates' Fortress: MM

• Great Bay Temple: MM

• Dancing Dragon Dungeon: OOS

• Mermaid's Cave: OOA

• Jabu-Jabu's Belly: OOA

• Tower of the Gods: WW

• Lakebed Temple: TP

• Ancient Cistern: SS

• Total voters

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I chose the Ancient Cistern because I am not a fan of water dungeons in general, but I liked the Ancient Cistern because it was just a little different from previous titles stylistically.

I should add I actually really hate OoT water temple. I know people say the fun is in the challenge but I don't see the fun in going on a wild goose chase around a huge and confusing temple and having to constantly change the water level/your boots all to end up with a really easy boss. Dark Link was good but other that, ugh.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Lakebed Temple!! I just love the pretty design, and I love the armor Link gets for it. It is thee best armor Link will ever wear <3

ZeldaFAYZ6251

Twilight Princess Lover
I love the Lakebed Temple (First, because TP I think is the best game ever <3) for the puzzling floors and the cool water things like the way to the Key for the Boss Room. But I also love the Water Temple in OoT because of the music and Dark Link and Morpha is kind of fun to defeat because it is so frustrating.

Majora's Cat

How about that
While I believe that all water dungeons in The Legend of Zelda have their own merits, the one that always stood out for me in terms of puzzle design, atmosphere and sound design was the Great Bay Temple in Majora's Mask. But I guess I'll explain why I don't think the other dungeons I've played measure up.

The Water Temple of Ocarina of Time may be the most generic looking water dungeon to date, but it's understandable since Ocarina of Time was Nintendo's first stab at a 3D Zelda adventure. The developers were likely more focused on simply making a water-themed dungeon without worrying about making it multi-colored or trying to carve out more eye-pleasing shapes for the dungeon's architecture. It is infamous for being confusing, but I explained in an editorial why players are exaggerating. The problem is that there is enjoyable gameplay to be experienced in the dungeon, but it's simply hidden behind a shroud of unconventional design choices: similar-looking hallways stretching in every direction on three different floors, a multitude of tiny rooms and a map that makes the player feel overwhelmed by the dungeon's perplexity.

The Lakebed Temple of Twilight Princess works with levers and aims for an ancient stone colossus of a dungeon that greatly resembles the style of the Zora's Domain. The flow of water must be altered to open up new paths, courtesy of the large rotating staircase in the center of the room. While I do believe that the Lakebed Temple has very creatively designed puzzles, the song that plays to accompany it isn't memorable nor catchy. It looks much prettier than the Water Temple and certainly doesn't lack atmosphere, but I believe that the Ancient Cistern and Great Bay Temple succeed Twilight Princess' water dungeon by far in that field.

Ancient Cistern is an intriguing concept. The Heaven and Hell levels might have seemed like an excellent during development, but the latter of the two worlds of Ancient Cistern was not emphasized nearly was much as the former and feels lackluster. The basement level could have been expanded and more detailed. Being a Japanese Hell, one would expect its enemies to be demonic... and they are, but only in appearance. The Cursed Bokoblins attack in hordes but are dreadfully afraid of the Whip and Sacred Shield. Slashing madly at the Bokoblins is enough to slay them, as they have no way to defend themselves. The upper level looks, sounds and feels like a sacred oriental palace brought to life. Its downfall is the under-utilization of its main item, the Whip and average dungeon design. After a second look, there isn't anything extraordinary about the way the cistern handles dunngeon progression. Climbing platforms and jumping across gaps is rewarding since the layout is creatively designed consisting of lotuses and rounded platforms.

Other water dungeons have unmistakable themes but the Great Bay Temple isn't simply an ominous, fish-shaped form surrounded by an eerie mist. The clangs of advanced machinery and pipes make for some interesting platforms, and the directions of flowing water has quite the effect on Zora Link as he tries to breeze through the underwater sections of Great Bay. Little does he know that power of rushing water makes entering the holes to other rooms a bit more difficult than he originally expected. What really sold the experience was the different colors of the pipelines, leading Link in the right direction. Not to mention that Gyorg is one of the truly indelible boss fights in Zelda, Great Bay Temple hovers near the top of my list of the most spectacular dungeons.

Lakebed Temple for me. It has a really aquatic feel to it, the layout makes it a challenge, the Clawshot, of course, is an awesome item, the mini-boss is interestingly grotesque and the boss is one of my favourites in the Zelda series.

As a second, I'm going for the Water Temple. It's a dungeon I dread, yet it's the challenge that makes it entertaining. The mini-boss is cool (and the only one I have trouble with), the boss looks good and the Longshot rocks!

WHY CANT WE PICK MORE THAN ONE lol. My fav would be the Water Temple OOT Great Bay Temple MM Lake Bed Temple TP and Mermaids Cave in OOA (i love the time mechanique plus you get a new never before been used item)

Zorth

#Scoundrel
The Great Bay Temple, it was a really unique dungeon that incorporated the game's mechanics very well (any dungeon of MM really). I loved how the puzzles involved switching between Zora & Human form and certain rooms worked when a certain current of the water was switched on, add the stray fairies side quest, ice arrow puzzles, awesome boss fights & fitting music and we have a winner!

I voted the Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword. Aesthetically, it was totally different from anything seen in Zelda up to that point, and the contrast between the light, golden upper floors and toxic, morbid underground section was genius. Puzzle-wise, it presented some pretty clever obstacles to me and was enjoyable to solve. Combat-wise, its mini-boss was engaging and its actual boss was freaking epic (even if it was one of the glorified puzzles I hate seeing in bosses).

My second vote would be the Catfish's Maw from Link's Awakening. I don't seem to recall there being quite as much water to accidentally fall into, and its boss was not the disappointing giant Angler Fish from Angler's Tunnel. Most water dungeons are limiting and kind of tedious for me largely because of the water, but I don't remember the water of Catfish's Maw presenting any real trouble to me. Can't say the same for every other water dungeon, so it takes second place on my list.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Toss up between Lakebed Temple and Ancient Cistern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom