• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Which first, Shadow or Spirit?

Teal

Useful Help.
Well i do the game in any order i want to i usally do the Spirt Temple first the the Shadow temple sometime am ging to do a 3 heart run and do the dungeons mixed up.

Tael.:fairy:

MW7

I'd like to argue that Shadow is intended to be last because there are more requirements to reach and beat it than there are for the Spirit Temple. I'm considering this without glitches BTW.

The Shadow Temple simply requires the Forest, Fire, and Water Medallions to reach and beat. But this is actually much more than the Spirit Temple requires.

In order to reach the Gerudo Fortress you need either Epona or the Longshot. In order to pass the River of Sand you need either the Longshot or Hover Boots. The Haunted Wasteland doesn't require the Lens of Truth. So all you need to reach the Spirit Temple is the Longshot. You can get the Longshot from the Water Temple without the bow because only the last 2 keys of the dungeon require the bow to get (those keys are needed to get the boss key). This means that you can reach the Spirit Temple without glitches prior to collecting any other temple medallions, and without entering the Forest, Fire, or Shadow Temples.

Once you have reached it (only requiring the longshot in this path) beating the Spirit Temple only requires you to collect the bow and Forest Medallion (complete the Forest Temple) so that you can go back in time to do the child portion of the Spirit Temple. This is because the scene where Sheik gives you the Prelude of Light (and then tells you how to go back in time) is triggered once walk up to the pedastal of the Master Sword with the Forest Medallion. You can then complete the adult portion of the Spirit Temple with the silver gauntlets from the child portion of the Spirit Temple. The megaton hammer is not necessary as commonly believed.

The Spirit Temple can be completed with only the Forest Temple beaten, the Water Temple entered but not beaten, and the Fire and Shadow Temples not even entered.

My logic is this: the Spirit Temple can be completed earlier in the game (as early as the second medallion you collect) than the Shadow Temple can be completed (the shadow medallion can be your fourth at the earliest without glitches), so the game designers intended you to do Spirit before Fire. I know this logic isn't perfect but I think it's just as good as pointing out that the Shadow Medallion is last on the status screen.

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
I Never knew there was a order well to be fair I just bought Ocarina of Time 3d but if you could do spirit temple first do spirit temple because um you should! :S

But don't you have to have the Hover Boots to get across the Desert Wasteland? So how can you do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple?

And after you beat the Water Temple, the next time you go to Kakariko Village it is on fire and under attack by an invisible shadow monster. Which is what Bongo Bongo is. Link is knock out, and when he wakes up, Sheik teaches him the Nocturn of Shadow. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the Shadow Temple comes first.

And I thought Bongo Bongo to be one of the easiest bosses in the game. :P

You can do the Spirit temple before the Shadow temple.
Here is how.
Do the Water temple getting the longshot.

Then go to the Haunted wasteland.
The first trial is the sinking sand,so fire your longshot and if you line it up correctly it will attach to a wooden block which then pulls you across.
I do it this way regular.

jamezrockz98

Link rockz like me. Yay!!
I think Shadow was meant to be first because in the 5 Silver Ruppee room in the spirit temple, there is one silver ruppee that you can only get with the hover boots (located in the shadow temple). You can get this rupee with normal boots but it's really hard....

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
I believe the Shadow was meant to be first and then finally the Spirit Temple. Yes, you can do the Gerudo Fortress then go grab the Lens and go back to the Haunted Wasteland, but it just never seemed right to me. I mean, if you go into Kakariko Village (which you have to do before going to either temple) it seems like it sets you up to go to the Shadow Temple first. Bongo Bongo escapes and attacks Link and Sheik. Grab the Lens and head straight into the graveyard to the temple.

I know the Spirit Medallion is placed before the Shadow, but my ten year old brain told me to follow the path that seemed the most clear to me.

Go to village/ go down well/ go to Shadow Temple right near well > Go to Gerudo Fortress/ go to village/ go down well/ go to Haunted Wasteland/ go to Spirit Temple

Shiek and Navi both mention the Shadow temple first, as does the OFFICIAL guide be Nintendo Power, so I'd say:
Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit, Ganondorf
I usually do it in the order of favorite to least favorite, except spirit can't come before forest or water, and water can't be before forest, so I do
Ice Cavern, Fire, Forest, Water, Spirit, Bottom of the Well, Shadow, Ganondorf.

Also, the reason Saria mentions the Spirit Temple could be that either A. you haven't got the song of storms, or B. you already did the well, so you have nothing left as a child but that

MW7

I think Shadow was meant to be first because in the 5 Silver Ruppee room in the spirit temple, there is one silver ruppee that you can only get with the hover boots (located in the shadow temple). You can get this rupee with normal boots but it's really hard....

There is another way. If you stand near the doorway at the far side of the room, you can longshot through the silver rupee to the climbable wall.

BigBig

Who needs a shield?
You can do Forest - Water - Fire like my friend did.

I also did Spirit - Shadow cause thats what I though you were supposed to do.

Ice Sage

these are words
I've always done the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple and for a long time I belived that was the way you were supposed to do the game.

Pen

The game is on!
I like to save the Spirit Temple for last, since Koume and Kotake are the bosses there and since they are the mothers of Ganondorf it seems better, plot wise, to play through the Spirit Temple right before Ganon's Castle.

Also, the Hover Boots may come in handy during the Spirit Temple, even if they are not necessarily required.

H

Hyrules_Ruler

I have always gone Shadow first after Water, for the sole fact that in '99,when I was 10, I bought a Prima Official guide for OoT for my original N64 version. And it led me straight to the Shadow Temple after beating Morpha in the walkthrough. So I still instinctively do it today. Wish I still had that guide...good collectible..

F

FireArrow

But when Sheik tell you about the sages when you first draw the Master Sword, in order she goes: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit.

M

Medix

Yes, I'd say the official order is Forest - Fire - Water - Shadow - Spirit.
But the first time I played OoT, I did Forest - Water - Shadow - Spirit - Fire. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom