• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Which first, Shadow or Spirit?

I grew fond of watching my broder doing this order on the temples: Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit and Shadow.

I believe that is also the right order considering that giant platform in the Temple of Time were the Master sword is and also in Chamber of sages.

But as soon as you beat the Water Temple Navi in game says to go to Kakariko, plus i believe the nocturne of shadows is before the spirit song (yeah yeah i cant remember the name right now). It is forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit but of course anyone can finish it in whatever order they want, that's the beauty of it!

SheikahSoul

Decadence
But as soon as you beat the Water Temple Navi in game says to go to Kakariko, plus i believe the nocturne of shadows is before the spirit song (yeah yeah i cant remember the name right now). It is forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit but of course anyone can finish it in whatever order they want, that's the beauty of it!

But Navi is also sometimes not really clear in the head. She's blabbering about so much indeed. I remember a part when you were to find Zelda, and once you found her she then goes "HEY" and starts blabering about "where's Zelda we got to find her somewhere in the castle".

But I've enever heard her mentioning about going to Kakariko besides in the beginning when Sheik tells you to go to find that tool to get to the Forest Temple. In my game Navi has allways said after I finished the water temple. "I wonder who the next sage is. Let's find someone who might know" or somegthing like that.

Anyway, I have allways done the temples in the order this big platform in the Chamber of Sages tells.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..

Actually I'm pretty sure the order of the songs on the menu is Requiem of Spirit then Nocturne of Shadow (and then Prelude of Light). That being said I agree with you, especially the point you made in your earlier post about the events of the Spirit Temple preceding/setting up nicely the final showdown.

But Navi is also sometimes not really clear in the head. She's blabbering about so much indeed. I remember a part when you were to find Zelda, and once you found her she then goes "HEY" and starts blabering about "where's Zelda we got to find her somewhere in the castle".

But I've enever heard her mentioning about going to Kakariko besides in the beginning when Sheik tells you to go to find that tool to get to the Forest Temple. In my game Navi has allways said after I finished the water temple. "I wonder who the next sage is. Let's find someone who might know" or somegthing like that.

Anyway, I have allways done the temples in the order this big platform in the Chamber of Sages tells.

She always gives you hints on where to go next, it just so happens sometimes you are already doing it when she tells you, it's a game mechanic and as far as the game goes if you didn't do a certain task or start a temple she keeps telling you.
I think she hints to go there, but I could be wrong, either way as soon as you beat the water temple then whenever you enter Kakariko the cut scene starts. When I had a stratagy guide well back in the day it listed that way as well. In the end it doesn't really matter of course, but I have done it shadow-spirit so long it would seem weird the other way around lol

Actually I'm pretty sure the order of the songs on the menu is Requiem of Spirit then Nocturne of Shadow (and then Prelude of Light). That being said I agree with you, especially the point you made in your earlier post about the events of the Spirit Temple preceding the final showdown.

Yeah it just seems like the perfect set-up for it.
It doesn't matter the order so much anyways but it's the way I have always done it.

SheikahSoul

Decadence
She always gives you hints on where to go next, it just so happens sometimes you are already doing it when she tells you, it's a game mechanic and as far as the game goes if you didn't do a certain task or start a temple she keeps telling you.
I think she hints to go there, but I could be wrong, either way as soon as you beat the water temple then when you enter Kakariko the cut scene start. When I had a stratagy guide well back in the day it listed that way. In the end it doesn't really matter of course, but I have done it shadow-spirit so long it would seem weird the other way around lol

It doesn't matter the order so much but it's the way I have always done it.

I believe the cutscene is because we are free to choose. But I wouldn't trust the strategy guides as they aren't that canon in some things.
I trust the game itself and I've allways followed the order of the platform in Chamber of sages. My big bro did the same.

I believe the cutscene is because we are free to choose. But I wouldn't trust the strategy guides as they aren't that canon in some things.
I trust the game itself and I've allways followed the order of the platform in Chamber of sages. My big bro did the same.

I found this in a text dump:

When evil rules all, an awakening
voice from the Sacred Realm will
call those destined to be Sages,
who dwell in the five temples.
One in a deep forest...
One on a high mountain...
One under a vast lake...
One within the house of the dead...
One inside a goddess of the sand...

Shadow first according Sheik, I tried to find what Navi said but it's hard to find the right keyword as i am not really sure at all lol.

insanity76

It doesn't matter the order so much anyways but it's the way I have always done it.

Meeting Nabooru, who's 2nd highest on the ladder of Hierarchy among the Gerudo behind Ganondorf, and helping her try to overthrow him (although her motives are for her own personal gain), and facing & defeating Ganondorf's surrogate mothers are what do it for me. Engaging with those who are that close to Ganondorf in the Gerudo culture, you really get the feeling that Link is getting close to confronting him. After doing all that, it would feel to me like the Shadow Temple events would kill the momentum of the story's buildup to the final confrontation.

Meeting Nabooru, who's 2nd highest on the ladder of Hierarchy among the Gerudo behind Ganondorf, and helping her try to overthrow him (although her motives are for her own personal gain), and facing & defeating Ganondorf's surrogate mothers are what do it for me. Engaging with those who are that close to Ganondorf in the Gerudo culture, you really get the feeling that Link is getting close to confronting him. After doing all that, it would feel to me like the Shadow Temple events would kill the momentum of the story's buildup to the final confrontation.

That's exactly how I feel. You are going into the heart of Ganondorf's land, including his closest confidants being a major part of that chapter. So after rescuing the sage and beating the dungeon in the heart of enemy territory so to speak, then logically it seems the next thing to do is to take that evil itself head on.

insanity76

Also,

Shadow first according Sheik, I tried to find what Navi said but it's hard to find the right keyword as i am not really sure at all lol.

Here are her story/gameplay prompts for the adult quest in order:

016 : Should we believe what Sheik said and go to Kakariko Village?
017 : I wonder what's going on in the forest right now... I'm worried about
Saria, too!
018 : That cloud over Death Mountain...there is something strange about it...
019 : An arctic wind is blowing from Zora's River...do you feel it?
020 : Those Iron Boots look like they weight a ton! If you wear those boots,
you may be able to walk at the bottom of a lake.
021 : Let's look for someone who might know something about the other Sages!
022 : Have you ever played the Nocturne of Shadow that Sheik taught you?
023 : The desert...that is where Ganondorf the Evil King was born. If we go
there, we might find something...
024 : The one who is waiting for us at the Temple of Time...it could be...
025 : We have to save Princess Zelda from her imprisonment in Ganon's Castle!

She specifically prompts Link to explore the desert, but it comes up only after you've completed the Shadow Temple.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
I never knew you could do the Temples in almost any order. Of course the Forest has to come first because of the fairy bow. I always did the Shadow first because that's what Navi told me. But by looking at the medallion thingy I think the Spirit was intended to be done before Shadow. I always did them in the order Navi told me to. Now that I think about it.....do'h!!!

next time i play OoT im ganna try and do spirt first not shadow.... just to see if its true and you can do spirt before shadow.... but i think spirt is ment to come last cause you fight ganons mothers there

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I usually do the Spirit Temple first, because of the fact that I was so afraid of the Shadow Temple and Bottom of the Well levels. I believe that I also got through the Haunted Wasteland without the Lens of Truth, using some kind of guide that walked me through it in painstaking detail.

I personally think that the reason that rupee is so hard to get, is because it was meant to be a bit more challenging to reach. The Hover Boots make it easy, but I don't think it was meant to be that easy originally. They might have just moved the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple because they realized people might have too much trouble solving that puzzle without Hover Boots.

In any case, I would say that the Spirit Temple was originally intended to be before the Shadow Temple, and can still be done before it... but the game now expects you to do the Shadow Temple first, as you usually have to get the Lens of Truth to cross the Wasteland anyway, and the Shadow Temple is right there.

I've beaten the game both ways, though... and I think that beating the Spirit Temple last IS a bit more satisfying, because of all the cutscenes and such in there.

Z

ZeldaNut

I personally think that the reason that rupee is so hard to get, is because it was meant to be a bit more challenging to reach. The Hover Boots make it easy, but I don't think it was meant to be that easy originally. They might have just moved the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple because they realized people might have too much trouble solving that puzzle without Hover Boots.

The silver rupee in the room with the rolling rocks in that half-pipe shaped pit right? The rupee you speak of is around the middle of the pit, but suspended over your head, too high to reach, right?

Yes, where you entered the pit from the entrance door to the room, there is a rough wall you can climb down to get into the pit (or just jump in). That wall can be grabbed with the Hookshot. You just stand near the rupee, and put it between you and the climbable wall. Fire the Hookshot at the top of the wall, and you'll be pulled toward it, grabbing the rupee in the process. It's something you have to do quite often in other parts of the game. Lining yourself up with Hookshot targets and silver rupees, in order to get those rupees. Here it's easy to do as well. It's just a matter of realizing that technique when you get there. It does NOT require the Hover Boots, or some air-slash in mid-jump unorthodox technique. Just the Hookshot (probably the Longshot; it's a pretty long shot to the climbable wall). So forget about the Shadow Temple as a prerequisite to the Spirit Temple because of this rupee and the "necessary" Hover Boots. That's not true. The Hover Boots are NOT required to get the rupee.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I've always done the Shadow Temple first. Mainly because my least favorite part of the game is the Gerudo Fortress which you have to do before going to the Spirit Temple. The reason for this is the sneaking around. I hate sneaking around in games as well as in real life. Makes me nervous. >_>

...Anyway, yeah, I've always found it easier for me to as well as natural for me to the Shadow Temple first and then go to the Spirit Temple. Also by doing it this way it makes the story flow better in my opinion. It also helps me get ready to face Ganondorf next since the Spirit Temple is located in his original home.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I always did Spirit before Shadow. They're about the same in terms of difficulty, but Shadow Temple's one long gauntlet for the most part, and I never found the shortcut until my most recent playthrough. So I'd get the extra Heart Container and Mirror Shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom