• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What would you like Link to have.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
Except the entire series isn't about Link. Ultimately Link is the lens through which the player experiences the adventure. How he looks or what gender he is doesn't affect that.
Well... it kinda does. We've had a blond-haired, green-tunic-ed, male link since the beginning of the franchise. We can't change that now.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Give Link pink hair like the old ALttP sprite. Canon Pink Link!
If link were customizable, I'd be down for hair color and hairstyle to change

More like animal crossing than a wrpg

Because it is important to me as a player that link remains the player character of the zelda series, and offering full character customization would make me sad. I'm a traditionalist of course so I would prefer every zelda game to be quite similar most times, but I would accept a lot of changes before accepting the canon removal of link and his reincarnations

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member

Gorozoron

wild ride
tbf they give Link a consistent look mostly for marketing but that shouldn't stop customization
I mean in other games with customization there's usually a canon look they use for brand recognition and marketing material like monster hunter's stories obscure example but whatev or modern Pokémon
now it doesn't affect anything but there's no reason not to change for it would be a improvement
and there would be no reason for certain people to complain link is a empty husk with no character because he would now be a avatar

Mikey the Moblin

I mean in other games with customization there's usually a canon look they use for brand recognition and marketing material like monster hunter's stories obscure example but whatev or modern Pokémon
pokemon is another good example of the level of customization that would probably be okay
the trainers are uniquely shaped in such a way that they could (almost) never be mistaken for anyone but the main character regardless of hair color or shape

According to whom?
According to the people who have made Link the main character of every Zelda game.
Options for the player. Simple options. Let the players play as a traditional Link if they want. Offer options if they don't. It's that simple.
If you don't want to play as Link, play a game that isn't Zelda. There are plenty of those, so not sure why existing characters should get axed. Especially the most important one in the series who is also one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Taking Link out of Zelda is beyond absurd. There's no reason to not just make it an entirely different IP at that point.

Gorozoron

wild ride
According to the people who have made Link the main character of every Zelda game.

If you don't want to play as Link, play a game that isn't Zelda. There are plenty of those, so not sure why existing characters should get axed. Especially the most important one in the series who is also one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Taking Link out of Zelda is beyond absurd. There's no reason to not just make it an entirely different IP at that point.
but people love the series for other things such as the gameplay... and everything else, like every other character
Link is barely a character he's a husk a link for the player
and we're not asking to remove link but allow the player to change his appearance

Mikey the Moblin

but people love the series for other things such as the gameplay... and everything else, like every other character
Link is barely a character he's a husk a link for the player
and we're not asking to remove link but allow the player to change his appearance
zelda gameplay isn't exactly unique to zelda, and thanks to botw zelda games don't have a set gameplay pattern any more so the worldbuilding is the only thing they have in common now, and spinoff games share that

Mikey the Moblin

so my point about the characters still stands
like I've said, I think a small amount of customization to the point where link is still inarguably link (why does ZD spellcheck think "inarguably" isn't a word...?) is fine
but I don't think you can dismiss the "go play another game" argument by bringing up the gameplay because of what I already established
essentially, why should a specific subset of players get what they want at the cost of what another subset wants when one subset of players can get what they want from another series?

this isn't abount making points that stand or dismantling other points bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom