• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What would you like Link to have.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
you don't want to play as Link, play a game that isn't Zelda. There are plenty of those, so not sure why existing characters should get axed. Especially the most important one in the series who is also one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Taking Link out of Zelda is beyond absurd. There's no reason to not just make it an entirely different IP at that point.
A few people said the same thing when the Champion Tunic came around, and that ended up giving us the best looking Link yet. Changing the design around now and then doesn't have to make him unrecognizable. BotW Link is still very much Link, after all. I wanna see them continue to change his design up like that as we go forward. It's far more interesting than just variations of the same corny green tunic every time. Also, again, Pink Link!

Gorozoron

wild ride
like I've said, I think a small amount of customization to the point where link is still inarguably link (why does ZD spellcheck think "inarguably" isn't a word...?) is fine
but I don't think you can dismiss the "go play another game" argument by bringing up the gameplay because of what I already established
essentially, why should a specific subset of players get what they want at the cost of what another subset wants when one subset of players can get what they want from another series?

this isn't abount making points that stand or dismantling other points bro
k mate I wasn't even trying to dismantle but sure bro
this is a discussion we're all making points and some points are dumb so...

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
A few people said the same thing when the Champion Tunic came around, and that ended up giving us the best looking Link yet. Changing the design around now and then doesn't have to make him unrecognizable. BotW Link is still very much Link, after all. I wanna see them continue to change his design up like that as we go forward. It's far more interesting than just variations of the same corny green tunic every time. Also, again, Pink Link!
um nah the wild outfit is infinitely better looking than the champion tunic
but yeah botw link still *looks* like link, so it's fine

remember everyone, side-parted hair, pointy ears, and glorious sideburns!

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
According to the people who have made Link the main character of every Zelda game.
Main character implies that Link is relevant to the events of the game. You could easily replace him with anyone else serving the same role and nothing would change. He's never been the focus anyway. The central focus is usually on the events and characters around him.
If you don't want to play as Link, play a game that isn't Zelda. There are plenty of those, so not sure why existing characters should get axed. Especially the most important one in the series who is also one of the most iconic characters in gaming. Taking Link out of Zelda is beyond absurd. There's no reason to not just make it an entirely different IP at that point.
I never said Link should get cut. Just that they should be fully customizable. Keep him, just make him a full avatar.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
um nah the wild outfit is infinitely better looking than the champion tunic
but yeah botw link still *looks* like link, so it's fine

remember everyone, side-parted hair, pointy ears, and glorious sideburns!
friendship ended with the green tunic now champion tunic is my best friend (trousers of the wild more like booty shorts of the wild)

"...sideburns flowing like golden waterfalls..." Paya knew what was up!

Mikey the Moblin

friendship ended with the green tunic now champion tunic is my best friend (trousers of the wild more like booty shorts of the wild)

"...sideburns flowing like golden waterfalls..." Paya knew what was up!
honestly, I've never really complained about it mostly because you can eventually unlock them and because cosmetics aren't quite so important to me

but link's iconic green tunic is really important to me
the moment where you finally get it in every game that you start out in something else is always special and significant in some way, so I appreciate that they made it feel like an achievement, but I would rather have had it be the other way around, with the champion's tunic being the reward for completing 120 shrines, because it just came way too late

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
honestly, I've never really complained about it mostly because you can eventually unlock them and because cosmetics aren't quite so important to me

but link's iconic green tunic is really important to me
the moment where you finally get it in every game that you start out in something else is always special and significant in some way, so I appreciate that they made it feel like an achievement, but I would rather have had it be the other way around, with the champion's tunic being the reward for completing 120 shrines, because it just came way too late
As I go back to those games I personally almost always prefer what Link was wearing beforehand. The only time I don't is TP because the Ordon clothes look like a raggedy hobo suit (though the TP iteration of the green tunic isn't much better lmao). But yeah, lobster shirt > hero's clothes and skyloft civvies > knight's unifrom easily for me. Champion Tunic is just such a good looking design, I rarely ever took it off unless I was fighting the weather.

But this isn't really a thread for talking about how I think the green clothes are corny, I guess. I just wanna see more outfit designs. I'm a huge sucker for fashionable customization. BotW's armor system is definitely something I want Link to continue to have.

Mikey the Moblin

As I go back to those games I personally almost always prefer what Link was wearing beforehand. The only time I don't is TP because the Ordon clothes look like a raggedy hobo suit (though the TP iteration of the green tunic isn't much better lmao). But yeah, lobster shirt > hero's clothes and skyloft civvies > knight's unifrom easily for me. Champion Tunic is just such a good looking design, I rarely ever took it off unless I was fighting the weather.

But this isn't really a thread for talking about how I think the green clothes are corny, I guess. I just wanna see more outfit designs. I'm a huge sucker for fashionable customization. BotW's armor system is definitely something I want Link to continue to have.
I agree with you re: costumes, but actually it was triforce heroes that pioneered the costume changing really

as far as what I wore ingame, I most often swapped between stealth and attack power as they were by far the strongest
so, what would be best for a compromise is a range of powerup costumes that look identical to link's green tunic with color palette swaps, of course

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I agree with you re: costumes, but actually it was triforce heroes that pioneered the costume changing really

as far as what I wore ingame, I most often swapped between stealth and attack power as they were by far the strongest
so, what would be best for a compromise is a range of powerup costumes that look identical to link's green tunic with color palette swaps, of course
Oh yeah, you are right about TFH. That was a pretty fun mechanic. But definitely not just color swaps. OoT all over again. Boooooring. (I'd still probably pick the blue one like I did in OoT but please give me actual outfits)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Something else I want Link to have: more combat options. BotW's combat was fine but bland. Bringing back other techniques (like the hidden skills) along with abilities like more stylish stealth kills and whatnot would be great.

Mikey the Moblin

Something else I want Link to have: more combat options. BotW's combat was fine but bland. Bringing back other techniques (like the hidden skills) along with abilities like more stylish stealth kills and whatnot would be great.
all they would have to do is incentivize alternative methods of combat
the mechanics exist, there's just not a reason to waste time and durability to look cool

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Personally I enjoyed flurry rush and perfect guard far more than the hidden skills (same goes for parrying in WW), but I do like the idea of combat skills. I just prefer they be less situational.

Also, BotW has more combat options than any other game in the series. There's numerous ways to fight beyond swinging a weapon at things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom