• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What would you like Link to have.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
all they would have to do is incentivize alternative methods of combat
the mechanics exist, there's just not a reason to waste time and durability to look cool
People told me the same thing about being anything besides a stealth archer in Skyrim but I still ignored that playstyle for sword and board. There's no need to be stingy with the resources when they're so easy to replenish, and I say that as a hardcore hoarder.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Incentivizing doesn't exactly work on its own when the options are few as is. More options need to be added in addition to incentivizing the other options.
consider like, moblins getting tripped by sweeping attacks (and then being susceptible to a final blow), or expanding the elemental capabilities against certain monsters, not just ice and fire supertypes
like, guardians excel at this, having destructible legs. The only problem is parrying them is just faster, easier, and more efficient, so make it not that way.
I guess saying the Mechanics already exist was wrong: the physics for the mechanics to exist are already set in place

does this make sense

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
consider like, moblins getting tripped by sweeping attacks (and then being susceptible to a final blow), or expanding the elemental capabilities against certain monsters, not just ice and fire supertypes
like, guardians excel at this, having destructible legs. The only problem is parrying them is just faster, easier, and more efficient, so make it not that way.
I guess saying the Mechanics already exist was wrong: the physics for the mechanics to exist are already set in place

does this make sense
Yeah, I see what you mean. Makes sense.

Mikey the Moblin

Also, BotW has more combat options than any other game in the series. There's numerous ways to fight beyond swinging a weapon at things.
^^^^ this
botw is the most robust combat system in a zelda game to date, it just doesn't incentivize utilizing the numerous options you actually have at your disposal in favor of things like headshots or sneakstrikes

Mikey the Moblin

People told me the same thing about being anything besides a stealth archer in Skyrim but I still ignored that playstyle for sword and board. There's no need to be stingy with the resources when they're so easy to replenish, and I say that as a hardcore hoarder.
I ended up having a master sword in skyrim that re-infused those soul gem things that powered it so it never ran out of energy
I think that, given the option, people will gravitate towards what's most convenient and this applies to ingame logic as well

you can be an exception

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom