• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Would You Do If You Won The Lottery?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would choose to remain anonymous. Lottery fame pretty much only gains negative attention. People get jealous, start looking for favors, not to mention making yourself known for suddenly having money could also attract criminal attention. It's generally not a good idea to announce this in public.

As for what I would do - first I would pay off my morgage and student loans, make myself debt free. I'm pretty happy with where I am living, so I don't think I would change that - at least not right away. Maybe the temptation to build my own house and realize some of my childhood dreams would get to me eventually, who knows. I'd definitely go to more conventions, it's my favorite thing in the world and the fact that I now only can afford to go once a year is hard for me as I have to choose one out of all I want to go to. I'd buy myself a car, but just a small practical one - not really a car person.

Now, if it was a really big win, I'd set aside money for my nieces and nephews so that when they grow up they will have the means necessary to buy themselves their own house or apartment. The only reason I have my apartment is because my parents helped me out financially, so I know how hard it is to get a place as a single person on an average income. I'd figure out something good to get my parents and my sisters - depending on how much they would be willing to accept (we're all very proud people). I'd probably take my family on some holidays. I'd finally get around to taking my best friend abroad with me (intended to back when I had a higher paying job, but we never got that far). I'd take some friends with me to conventions (have a couple who've never been and who wants to go, but simply doesn't have the money for it).

Other than that I'd have to think about it some more. I don't really want that many big things in life. Maybe a better TV and some more consoles. I'm pretty content with the things I have - it's more about filling my life with more experiences :) I'd probably travel a bit outside of conventions, too, although I'm not much of a traveler.

Clank

Hmm
Definitely anonymous, Saying approx. $1,000,000 USD - Tax free

First pay off all my parents debt, fix the house etc. ~$250,000

Buy the best Christmas/Birthday presents ~ $100,000

Donate to FOSS, Mainly Linux Mint ~ $100,000

Spend on myself for things like new computer, Ps3, Wii U, Vacation ~ $ 50,000

Save for college, house, etc ~ $500,000

Or something similar

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
If I were to win the lottery I would first and foremost place it all in my bank before anything bad happens or before I get found out. After this I would use the money however I wanted, give a fair amount to my parents likely and then use the rest for my future, would for sure buy a lovely house and a nice car—also would buy some pricey jewelry for my girlfriend and visit her as soon as possible.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Huh.

1. Stash the money in a large amount of banks so it would all be insured.
2. Lifetime Season tickets for the Giants.
3. World Tour
4. DW Experience in Cardiff
5. Meet all my friends and host a huge party
6. But Decent camera equipment
7. Spend years making DW Fan Films
8. Move either to San Francisco, Britain, or Ireland.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Spend about 5-10% on paying off debt, traveling and other immediate wants. Set up a charitable trust. Put the rest in stable investments and live off the interest.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Repay my parents for the cost of college, then put the rest towards living expenses and grad school. Would be nice to be able to look at apartments without worrying so much about an extra $50/month rent.

Also getting a proper computer. I'm too cheap to spend even a few hundred on a good computer despite how much time I spend online.

Honest to god I'm the kind of person who would just put it all in the bank and not touch it for more than what I need to live off every month lol.

Austin

Austin
Drop out of school, buy an apartment near my girlfriend. Think about the rest in a few years.

bunny

birb overlord
Oh, dang... Well, hopefully I wouldn't be taken over by greed and hoard it all... I think I'd first donate 10% to some sort of charity. Then I'd probably put the rest into savings. I'm almost at the age where I'm gonna need to start paying for car insurance and college, so yeah...

octorok74

TETTAC
I would invest it all. And if I need to buy something I would use the interest my investment has made. That way I don't loose the original amount and I earn a lot from the interest. Bills can easily be paid off in this way. And I can relax for a lot. Oh, and I wouldn't tell anyone I won.

Winning the lottery has a habit of making family members turn on the winner. Jealousy gets to everyone.

Despite my not being in the UK, I'd like to remain anonymous, if given the option. As far as what I'd do...?
I'll be the first to say I am not selfless on any level. I'd spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house, a Tesla motors car, tons of books, a few games, and school before I gave anything to anyone else. After that, though, I WOULD donate a ton of money to NASA and the SPCA. Anything else left over, I dunno what I would do with.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
If I were to win the lottery, I would remain anonymous. If a big win (which it will be!), I would call the closest of my friends in other parts of the U.S. They will then be briefed on the ultimate plan. All of them would gather those they can easily bribe, and then it will start a chain. Soon, I will have an army of minions ready to do my bidding for money. My new found army would then begin to raid cities, razing them to the ground. The lottery money and money found within the cities would pay my soldiers. Soon, we will fight our way and take America! Not long after will we fight our way to world domination!!! Of which I would rule...for all eternity. Or maybe, I would just buy lots of expensive stuff...

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
If I won the lottery that gave me over 1 million dollars, I would

Give some to parents & older sister since I'm not over 18 yet
Buy a house for when I turn 18
Pay for college
Get a Car
Go on a cruise
Buy a Mac computer & give this one to a close family member
Give all my RL friends at least 100 dollars
Give everyone in ZD at least 50 dollars to thank for making this forum & thread that eventually led to this post
Buy gold/yellow contacts
Buy Senior items (Grad Gown, Prom Dress, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom