• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

In my opinion Tatl is a completely unlikable and irredeemable character, such that I cannot relate at all to people who believe she is superior to Navi. What's clear right off the bat is that she is a complete jerk to Link and she stays that way throughout the whole game. She does very rarely admit his capability but that is drowned out by her constant condescending attitude. The way she talks to Kafei is also disgusting and the fact that her dialogue towards him never changes even if you have already done the quest involving him only hammers in my distaste for her. On top of that, she is a hypocrite. During the cutscene where she explains how she met the Skull Kid, she implies that him assaulting the Mask Salesman to steal Majora's Mask was inexcusable regardless of how lonely the Skull Kid felt, but she obviously had no problem in assisting him during that crime. Not to mention that she would later willingly assist him in doing the same exact thing to Link to steal his horse and ocarina. As a result Tatl is at least partially responsible for all of the suffering that goes on in Termina, and she never suffers for it or even admits to her own responsibility in the matter. She literally had to force it out of herself to merely thank Link for all he has does at the end of the game, though not before telling him to just leave because she doesn't want him around for the carnival for some reason. It's utterly ridiculous.

People seem to give her a pass over Navi simply because she interrupts the gameplay less and I imagine they prefer her ringing noise over Navi's verbal cue. I think these are arbitrary reasons anyway because Navi doesn't even interrupt the gameplay that much. Certainly far less than Ezlo and Fi. Even Midna, who is one of the most beloved characters according to the fanbase, stops the gameplay to talk to you more often than Navi does. Not that I have any complaint with Midna because I lover her as much as anybody else. I just think it is such silly nitpick. The hate for Navi is beyond overblown obviously to the point where it has been a meme for years. The constant dismissal of her and the Water Temple are both tired clichés. I also personally appreciate how Navi never talks for Link when he interacts with other characters. I see it as a subtle form of respect for him and by extension the player. People will argue that not doing so makes her a non-character but if they are then going to point to Tatl as an example of a better character then I can't agree with that at all. Midna sure, but not Tatl.

In the final battle against Ganondorf, Navi mentions being unable to get near him due to Ganondorf's dark magic and she later apologizes to Link for that. Immediately showing more self-awareness, sense of agency and respect for Link that Tatl never shows. Following that when Ganon reveals himself, Navi exclaims that she is not going to be held back again and she is going to fight together with Link. What does Tatl do when Majora's Mask comes to life and discards the Skull Kid? She wants to turn tail and run, telling Link to play the Song of Time. When Link makes it clear he intends to follow the mask up into the moon, Tatl doesn't even want to go with him. She only begrudgingly accepts going when her brother Tael says he'll go, but of course not before insulting both him and Link by calling them both stupid. You would think she would jump at the chance to redeem herself by settling things with Majora's Mask and ending the suffering of Termina's people, of which she indirectly contributed to, but no. Makes me wish Tael was Link's partner for the game instead.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
In my opinion Tatl is a completely unlikable and irredeemable character, such that I cannot relate at all to people who believe she is superior to Navi. What's clear right off the bat is that she is a complete jerk to Link and she stays that way throughout the whole game. She does very rarely admit his capability but that is drowned out by her constant condescending attitude. The way she talks to Kafei is also disgusting and the fact that her dialogue towards him never changes even if you have already done the quest involving him only hammers in my distaste for her. On top of that, she is a hypocrite. During the cutscene where she explains how she met the Skull Kid, she implies that him assaulting the Mask Salesman to steal Majora's Mask was inexcusable regardless of how lonely the Skull Kid felt, but she obviously had no problem in assisting him during that crime. Not to mention that she would later willingly assist him in doing the same exact thing to Link to steal his horse and ocarina. As a result Tatl is at least partially responsible for all of the suffering that goes on in Termina, and she never suffers for it or even admits to her own responsibility in the matter. She literally had to force it out of herself to merely thank Link for all he has does at the end of the game, though not before telling him to just leave because she doesn't want him around for the carnival for some reason. It's utterly ridiculous.

People seem to give her a pass over Navi simply because she interrupts the gameplay less and I imagine they prefer her ringing noise over Navi's verbal cue. I think these are arbitrary reasons anyway because Navi doesn't even interrupt the gameplay that much. Certainly far less than Ezlo and Fi. Even Midna, who is one of the most beloved characters according to the fanbase, stops the gameplay to talk to you more often than Navi does. Not that I have any complaint with Midna because I lover her as much as anybody else. I just think it is such silly nitpick. The hate for Navi is beyond overblown obviously to the point where it has been a meme for years. The constant dismissal of her and the Water Temple are both tired clichés. I also personally appreciate how Navi never talks for Link when he interacts with other characters. I see it as a subtle form of respect for him and by extension the player. People will argue that not doing so makes her a non-character but if they are then going to point to Tatl as an example of a better character then I can't agree with that at all. Midna sure, but not Tatl.

In the final battle against Ganondorf, Navi mentions being unable to get near him due to Ganondorf's dark magic and she later apologizes to Link for that. Immediately showing more self-awareness, sense of agency and respect for Link that Tatl never shows. Following that when Ganon reveals himself, Navi exclaims that she is not going to be held back again and she is going to fight together with Link. What does Tatl do when Majora's Mask comes to life and discards the Skull Kid? She wants to turn tail and run, telling Link to play the Song of Time. When Link makes it clear he intends to follow the mask up into the moon, Tatl doesn't even want to go with him. She only begrudgingly accepts going when her brother Tael says he'll go, but of course not before insulting both him and Link by calling them both stupid. You would think she would jump at the chance to redeem herself by settling things with Majora's Mask and ending the suffering of Termina's people, of which she indirectly contributed to, but no. Makes me wish Tael was Link's partner for the game instead.

I genuinely hate all the companions in the series, simply becuase they are all irritating bastards but outta them all only Navi has an excuse as she is genuinely trying to help link out, the only companion who is on links side for no gain of her own (beyond being asked by the deku tree), Tatl was indeed an egotistical self centered asshole but i think her time spent with link was her punishment, she had to help in some way to redeem all the damage she helped cause.

Midna was an asshole who was out for herself and only had a change of heart when she was saved by link and even then was still intolerable with her demands.

Fi was a mechanical asshole whose constnat reminders of batteries was irritating beyond belief that and "5% chance of zelda definately going this way"

Ezlo i'm on the fence about he was definately an asshole hell through his own ego he put hyrule in danger and jesus forcing a kid through some of the dungeons is just mental like.

Zelda herself is probably the most useful and useless of all companions in the series, only one time does she provide a use and that's spirit tracks a game so arbitrarily crap i don't know if it should exist anymore, not to mention the times she can actually kill link in WW during the Ganondorf fight.

Water Temple was freaking amazing though, i wish they hadn't made things obvious direction wise in the remake, the thematic of water temple was illusion/how water makes a mirror of things and how water can take many paths and still be the right path was a good one

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I genuinely hate all the companions in the series, simply becuase they are all irritating bastards but outta them all only Navi has an excuse as she is genuinely trying to help link out, the only companion who is on links side for no gain of her own (beyond being asked by the deku tree), Tatl was indeed an egotistical self centered asshole but i think her time spent with link was her punishment, she had to help in some way to redeem all the damage she helped cause.

Midna was an asshole who was out for herself and only had a change of heart when she was saved by link and even then was still intolerable with her demands.

Fi was a mechanical asshole whose constnat reminders of batteries was irritating beyond belief that and "5% chance of zelda definately going this way"

Ezlo i'm on the fence about he was definately an asshole hell through his own ego he put hyrule in danger and jesus forcing a kid through some of the dungeons is just mental like.

Zelda herself is probably the most useful and useless of all companions in the series, only one time does she provide a use and that's spirit tracks a game so arbitrarily crap i don't know if it should exist anymore, not to mention the times she can actually kill link in WW during the Ganondorf fight.

Water Temple was freaking amazing though, i wish they hadn't made things obvious direction wise in the remake, the thematic of water temple was illusion/how water makes a mirror of things and how water can take many paths and still be the right path was a good one

KoRL?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava

Was a complete pain in the ass, who not only withheld information from Link and tried to blindly steer him around (hah somewhat amusing giving you send him in circles) but literally shoves link into danger because he thinks "hey this kid fits the stereotype, lets shove him into lethal situations and see what happens" KoRL is one of the worst right up there with Midna.

Also Wind Waker wasn't a good game with all it's sailing in general, the dungeons weren't bad but they didn't feel as fun as other series entries and sure as hell weren't the best aethetically. Suitable i guess if WW is your first game but not so great when compared to others.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Was a complete pain in the ass, who not only withheld information from Link and tried to blindly steer him around (hah somewhat amusing giving you send him in circles) but literally shoves link into danger because he thinks "hey this kid fits the stereotype, lets shove him into lethal situations and see what happens" KoRL is one of the worst right up there with Midna.

Also Wind Waker wasn't a good game with all it's sailing in general, the dungeons weren't bad but they didn't feel as fun as other series entries and sure as hell weren't the best aethetically. Suitable i guess if WW is your first game but not so great when compared to others.
Imagine having this bad of an opinion

Sword-Art-Online-Anime-Girl-Cry-Pandora-Hearts-The-Beginning-Toradora-Manga-GIF.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom