• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
A link to the past exists as a prequel to LOZ. You can't just put ALTTP after LOZ and say "see it works now"
the same ganon exists now in two completely different time periods, and in the wrong order
If you disregard the official timeline completely, it can make sense.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
Except it doesn’t make sense specifically because you’re disregarding the timeline.
I'm pretty sure there's a footnote at the end of the timeline page that says the timeline is subject to change by players perspective, when new evidence show itself or something. Which really could mean anything.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I'm pretty sure there's a footnote at the end of the timeline page that says the timeline is subject to change by players perspective, when new evidence show itself or something. Which really could mean anything.
It means “we decided to change the placement of this one game that we weren’t the ones to make in the first place, shut up.”

The fact of the matter is that nearly every single game in the timeline prior to BotW has had some piece of official material confirming its placement within a year or so of its release. The timeline in Hyrule Historia exists and is the way it is for a reason, because these games have always been made with a timeline in mind.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
It means “we decided to change the placement of this one game that we weren’t the ones to make in the first place, shut up.”

The fact of the matter is that nearly every single game in the timeline prior to BotW has had some piece of official material confirming its placement within a year or so of its release. The timeline in Hyrule Historia exists and is the way it is for a reason, because these games have always been made with a timeline in mind.
I doubt they had an actual timeline before Ocarina of Time.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
I doubt they had an actual timeline before Ocarina of Time.
Zelda 2 says in its manual that it’s a direct sequel to Zelda 1

Link to the Past says in its manual that it’s a direct prequel to Zelda 1 and that the version of Link and Zelda are ancestors to the ones in the first 2 games meaning that not only was there a timeline but reincarnation of Link and Zelda was also a confirmed plot point back then.

The only game prior to OoT that doesn’t specifically state under no uncertain terms that where it takes place is LA, but even it says that it takes place immediately after Link defeats Ganon and has multiple references to LttP within the game itself so it very obviously takes place after LttP and before Zelda 1.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
Zelda 2 says in its manual that it’s a direct sequel to Zelda 1

Link to the Past says in its manual that it’s a direct prequel to Zelda 1 and that the version of Link and Zelda are ancestors to the ones in the first 2 games meaning that not only was there a timeline but reincarnation of Link and Zelda was also a confirmed plot point back then.

The only game prior to OoT that doesn’t specifically state under no uncertain terms that where it takes place is LA, but even it says that it takes place immediately after Link defeats Ganon and has multiple references to LttP within the game itself so it very obviously takes place after LttP and before Zelda 1.
I mean, to be honest, it feels like they just shoe horned in the downfall timeline because they didn't know what to do with those games in the timeline.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
I mean, to be honest, it feels like they just shoe horned in the downfall timeline because they didn't know what to do with those games in the timeline.
Yeah the downfall timeline does seem like a cop out, but OoT was always meant to take place before LttP so it’s less that they needed a place to put those games and more that they needed to think of a way to have them there without conflicting with WW and TP, which were always meant to take place in alternate timelines from one another.

Daku Rinku

Dampe’s Acolyte
ZD Champion
Unpopular opinion, I would like to see Ganon as a Hylian. His Gerudo Form is not his true one, I believe he could shape shift like Sauron and infiltrate Hyrule.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Adventure of Link is a great game.

The Water Temple is neither an excessively difficult dungeon nor the hardest dungeon in the game. Additionally, it's a top tier dungeon all around.

Tri Force Heroes is really fun and the cheesy story really doesn't matter.

Skyward Sword's motion controls are fine.

Breath of the Wild is heavily flawed and far from the definitive Zelda experience; not only is it not the best Zelda game, I would argue it's not even top 3.

Ocarina of Time does not hold up as much as the highest rated game ever should.

Exploring the Great Sea is great.

City in the Sky is the single worst dungeon in the entire franchise.

I'm sure there are more I have, these are just the first ones I could think of.

I would say most of these still hold up, but I'd like to add a couple more:

- BotW2 should absolutely not reuse BotW's overworld.

- Majora's Mask is the greatest Zelda game, greatest Nintendo game, and perhaps greatest video game in general.

- Button controls for SSHD were a bad idea (came up with this one after trying them).

- The Triforce Shard Hunt is not that bad

- Tingle is actually a hilarious character who I'm glad gets to be recurring.

- Age of Calamity's story is actually pretty good.

- Most of the one-off villains are far more compelling than Ganondorf has been in any of his appearances bar TWW.

- ALBW is better than ALttP and the rental system is fine.

- Anyone who says TP has item usage problems is just wrong.

- If BotW becomes Zelda's "future" then I may not stick around for the ride.

Yunobo was fine. Never really understood why people hated him.

Also, idk if this really counts as unpopular, but Revali is the best champion.
Guess I'll add a few more to this ever-growing list lol (none of these opinions have changed btw)

- Tears of the Kingdom is a better game than Breath of the Wild, to a fault, simply because it's the same game just with more stuff. It basically removes any reason to play its predecessor, thereby making it a terrible sequel.

- I don't hate the shrines as a "replacement" for dungeons, I just wish there were fewer blessing shrines.

- Echoes of Wisdom is bound to be a breath of fresh air and I'm super pumped for it.

- Hyrule Warriors is the best iteration of Ganondorf to date (idk how unpopular this is).

- The "calamity era" games, including Age of Calamity, have some of the series BEST soundtracks.

- Ganon(dorf) is a tired villain who needs to be shelved for an indefinite period.

- The Spirit Flute is fun to play.

I'll continue trying to come up with more and will probably post in here again someday.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Yeah the downfall timeline does seem like a cop out, but OoT was always meant to take place before LttP so it’s less that they needed a place to put those games and more that they needed to think of a way to have them there without conflicting with WW and TP, which were always meant to take place in alternate timelines from one another.
While the downfall timeline probably didn't exist from the beginning, SMS did a bit of research iirc that supports the theory that the downfall timeline was an internal consistency by the time wind waker was released

thePlinko

ZD Legend
While the downfall timeline probably didn't exist from the beginning, SMS did a bit of research iirc that supports the theory that the downfall timeline was an internal consistency by the time wind waker was released
Oh I know that, I’m just saying that Windwaker is the reason why it exists in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom