• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

DivineDragoness

Bombergirl Xtreme
Skyward Sword was an almost perfect version of the 3D Zelda formula, but didn't get appreciated because of forced motion control combat.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This seems to be rather unpopular, at least on this site: Tears of the Kingdom's story was excellent and one of Zelda's best. Lots of emotional payoff and the main story quests were exciting and well-played-out. The lore it introduces really isn't all that contradicting if you think critically about it for like five seconds. It is so strange to see people react to the "Rauru was Hyrule's first king!" thing. When that was first stated, my initial gut reaction was to be like huh. well that can't be right. must be a refounding then. And it's so weird to see people think it literally means the first, very first ever, Hyrule, when there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary. It's kind of amazing to me how many people took it that way yet from my perspective it was very obviously meant to allude to a refounding. Fascinating how that works. It's a shame that there aren't a lot of people willing to engage with this in good faith, either, just preferring to assume bad or lazy writing. It's not fun to talk about it with people who do that. So it just goes in circles. This game's story is almost as divisive as Skyward Sword's existence. I'm not saying people can't think what they want about it, or that everyone who thinks its the original Hyrule does that, but it's still a shame the way it seems to bring some unfortunate things out of some folks out there.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
This seems to be rather unpopular, at least on this site: Tears of the Kingdom's story was excellent and one of Zelda's best. Lots of emotional payoff and the main story quests were exciting and well-played-out. The lore it introduces really isn't all that contradicting if you think critically about it for like five seconds. It is so strange to see people react to the "Rauru was Hyrule's first king!" thing. When that was first stated, my initial gut reaction was to be like huh. well that can't be right. must be a refounding then. And it's so weird to see people think it literally means the first, very first ever, Hyrule, when there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary. It's kind of amazing to me how many people took it that way yet from my perspective it was very obviously meant to allude to a refounding. Fascinating how that works. It's a shame that there aren't a lot of people willing to engage with this in good faith, either, just preferring to assume bad or lazy writing. It's not fun to talk about it with people who do that. So it just goes in circles. This game's story is almost as divisive as Skyward Sword's existence. I'm not saying people can't think what they want about it, or that everyone who thinks its the original Hyrule does that, but it's still a shame the way it seems to bring some unfortunate things out of some folks out there.
I will agree with you on the main story quests being good, mainly the regional phenomena and Sage of Spirit. The memories quest was fun to do, and some interesting nuggets in the cutscenes, but Zelda's fate was dumb and the fact they went back on it was dumber.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I will agree with you on the main story quests being good, mainly the regional phenomena and Sage of Spirit. The memories quest was fun to do, and some interesting nuggets in the cutscenes, but Zelda's fate was dumb and the fact they went back on it was dumber.
Zelda's fate had my crying in a good way personally. **** was so good. The fact that it makes you go oh **** she was there with you all along... not herself but still with the echoes of her duty spurring her on to help you... the way she came in for the final battle... I didn't even mind that they walked it back because it was so emotionally satisfying. I absolutely loved everything about it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Zelda's fate had my crying in a good way personally. **** was so good. The fact that it makes you go oh **** she was there with you all along... not herself but still with the echoes of her duty spurring her on to help you... the way she came in for the final battle... I didn't even mind that they walked it back because it was so emotionally satisfying. I absolutely loved everything about it.
What was your thoughts on Gandorf eating his stone and the whole segment after that? Imo it could have ended with you killing him in the basement, some sort of epic finale there. I hated the entire concept of the demon dragon thing, the actual fight was stupidly easy, and then it ended with Zelda being freed. Would have been much more satisfying if you stabbed him in the head a la Wind Waker, destroying his secret stone.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What was your thoughts on Gandorf eating his stone and the whole segment after that? Imo it could have ended with you killing him in the basement, some sort of epic finale there. I hated the entire concept of the demon dragon thing, the actual fight was stupidly easy, and then it ended with Zelda being freed. Would have been much more satisfying if you stabbed him in the head a la Wind Waker, destroying his secret stone.
I actually loved that, too. I made for an amazingly epic finale even if it was an easy battle. The fight before was already satisfying enough. Spectacle fights are cool ways to finish too. Zelda coming to help was exactly what I was most hoping for in the final battle so I got that and then some. Plus the BGM was amazing. I have no reason to be dissatisfied with it personally.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
please tell me the mountain of evidence then, I'd definitely feel better if it's what you say but I haven't really had a reason to believe so, outside of speculation

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
also this is the perfect example of why it's so baffling
you're here saying it's not contradictory b/c it works when placed on this side of the chronology, while moblinking says the exact same thing but places it in a different side

so what the ****, which is it??

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
Yeet.png

When the two greatest things collide. Had me laugh pretty hard when I saw it.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
The thing that’s bad to me about the story is that it’s a bad continuation.

We hear hardly anything about the champions in the game aside from like a few dialogues of Mipha and Daruk and Urbosa. But I don’t recall Revali ever being mentioned. And all the Calamity stuff feels very much brought up and then forgotten. The Shrine of Resurrection isn’t even there anymore, which is dumb.

There could’ve been a much cooler continuation than this story of finding Zelda on a wild goose chase

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The thing that’s bad to me about the story is that it’s a bad continuation.

We hear hardly anything about the champions in the game aside from like a few dialogues of Mipha and Daruk and Urbosa. But I don’t recall Revali ever being mentioned. And all the Calamity stuff feels very much brought up and then forgotten. The Shrine of Resurrection isn’t even there anymore, which is dumb.

There could’ve been a much cooler continuation than this story of finding Zelda on a wild goose chase
That's a fair complaint, there could have been more. I personally think it's dumb that the people of Hateno don't know Link considering he was with Zelda everywhere she went (and he likely lived together with her in that house considering it was his initially and some of his things are still there i.e. the photo from the Champion's Ballad). The random people on the road I get; do you remember every stranger who did you a good turn once six years ago? Add to that Link is too humble to correct people to the point where someone will look at the Master Sword on his back and go "Is that the Master Sword? Nah no way you're too scrawny to be the hero" and Link will just be like "haha yep". But the folks of Hateno, Bolson, and Hestu should definitely know Link, even if it takes them a bit of interaction to remember.

But we also have to remember that Hyrule is recovering from the Calamity still and a big part of that process is moving on from the scars and allowing nature to heal. We see in many places the decayed guardians and the shrines that are no longer functioning have been very purposefully and neatly removed, likely due to Zelda and Hudson Construction clearing them up. We also see gloom and chasms take the place of other shrine and sheikah tech areas, which we know happened with the Upheaval. We can assume Ganondorf didn't want to make the mistake of having the sheikah tech bite him in the butt again. There's still environmental storytelling that leaves evidence of the past behind. And there's also the whole thing with the school in Hateno where Simon literally teaches the kids the story of BotW. It's still being carried on, but the past is being relegated to the past as it should be.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
please tell me the mountain of evidence then, I'd definitely feel better if it's what you say but I haven't really had a reason to believe so, outside of speculation
Copy-pasting this from my friend off discord cuz I'm lazy:

ganondorf can't have been below hyrule through the whole series because it literally doesn't make sense due to the castle being destroyed several times eg OoT and TP and the seal would have substantially weakened then
the other ganons aren't just possessions of the actual ganon who lost his memories because totk establishes ganondorf has his memories of his time as calamity ganon
the zonai castles (the lomei labyrinths) were made before the shrines of light were placed and because of that the master of boars and the ruler of owls and dragons predated rauru
they seal away the phantom ganon armor meaning oot ganon predated rauru
in the japanese sonia is stated to be from the hyrule clan which rauru then marries into
establishing a hyrule clan in the vein of the royal family was already present
the dusk claymore was placed in the thyphlo ruins which was created to commerate the totk imprisoning war sages and it would be really stupid to say this occurred after the founding of the kingdom because TP literally has the ancient sages use the sword and it's ****ing dumb to say they pulled the sword out just to try and execute ganondorf and then put it back after TP
the gerudo have pointy ears and green eyes.
like the botw era gerudo.
which would be really dumb if this game was pre oot
which
by the way
if it was pre oot
it could only really be 300 years prior due to twinrova existing as young women.
which is even more dumb because the zonai would absolutely be brought up.
like here's the thing
i am fully open to the reboot idea.
and i would be onboard with the reboot idea
if it didn't do the **** i mentioned.
they were conscious of gerudo ears.
in interviews, they started with tp ganondorf as the basis of ganondorf's design, who had pointed ears.
then they gave him round ears.
so it was a conscious decision to keep the other gerudo with pointed ears.
it was a conscious decision to have these zonai who predate rauru say they were guarding this ancient demonic armor.
it was a conscious decision to have oot still referenced via sidon's new tablets.
it was a conscious decision to have the dusk claymore in the game and placed where it was, which would only make sense post TP.
there's as much evidence in this game as there is in ST to believe this game is a refounding.
the only difference is due to this being the same actual geographical location people aren't catching on.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
We also see gloom and chasms take the place of other shrine and sheikah tech areas, which we know happened with the Upheaval. We can assume Ganondorf didn't want to make the mistake of having the sheikah tech bite him in the butt again.
This is an interesting thought, that he was having it fall where he wanted it to instead of just throwing stuff everywhere.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This is an interesting thought, that he was having it fall where he wanted it to instead of just throwing stuff everywhere.
Oh he was definitely purposeful about where he put the chasms and gloom. He used the gloom to decay all the weapons on the surface on purpose, so the people couldn't easily fight back against his forces. We know from that that he had full control of what he did with the gloom during the Upheaval. It's not a stretch to think that he was intentionally trying to get rid of more undesirable things on the surface than just the weapons, hence shrine spots and even old great fairy spots being affected.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Oh he was definitely purposeful about where he put the chasms and gloom. He used the gloom to decay all the weapons on the surface on purpose, so the people couldn't easily fight back against his forces. We know from that that he had full control of what he did with the gloom during the Upheaval. It's not a stretch to think that he was intentionally trying to get rid of more undesirable things on the surface than just the weapons, hence shrine spots and even old great fairy spots being affected.
ok, but then why does this only happen with some of the shrines? Why would Ganondorf only do this to some of the shrines? Hell, why would he do it to the shrines in general? It’s not like they can help Link again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom