• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Platformer Game?

Super Mario Bros 2. And by that, I mean the real one, not the American one. I love anything Mario, but this takes it for favorite because of how ridiculously difficult it is, which makes it the most fun out of all the others :3

Epwna

The epic turnip king
Well, It's a tie between Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Both amazing games, favorites in the series, actually.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
For me it's a tie between Super Mario World and Super Mario Sunshine. Yeah you heard that right, Super Mario Sunshine. I played Super Mario Sunshine before I had heard of Super Mario 64 so I thought this game was completely revolutionary.

And to this day is still think Super Mario World is the best platformer around. Maybe it was just because I was young when I first played it, but that game feels like it goes on forever. So many levels, and they're all diverse. Seems like platformers these days don't have as much content as they used to. I also loved the way the map screen was set up. I wish these New Super Mario Bros. games had one big map like Super Mario World had instead of taking a step backwards to the uninteresting SMB3 style maps.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Well, It's a tie between Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Both amazing games, favorites in the series, actually.

It's the same for me. I love both of those games. The stories are just amazing...the music's awesome too.

hmm... either super mario world or sonic 3 and knuckles. i can't believe no one else chose any sonic games. eh maybe it's only because i grew up with sonic. i also love super mario bros. 3 and sonic the hedgehog

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Man this is going to be tough. I'd consider a Sonic the Hedgehog game, and by Sonic the Hedgehog I mean one of the Genesis classics, not the newer and cruddier games like Unleashed. Man, that game is an absolute abomination! But I'm not going to talk about how bad recent Sonic games have been.

Anyways, the main candidates for my favorite platformer are Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario World.

Now, out of the three, Super Mario Galaxy is in my opinion my least favorite. Sure, the whole gravity aspect and all the cool space travel is awesome, but I feel that SMG2 pretty much made every aspect of the game better, including the comets. However, it also has a great story for a Mario game. It's nowhere near as great as Final Fantasy V as an example, but it's incredible for a Mario game.

SMW is probably my second favorite of the three because it has very diverse levels and it's actually pretty tough (curse you Bowser's Castle, CURSE YOU!). It also had great music (Koopa Kids, a lot of the level themes, Bowser Battle) and even today I say it's got some pretty good graphics in comparison to games. The Map was awesome too, it's actually the only Mario game I know of where the worlds are all just one big super image. They never did that with any of the other games.

SMG2 for the reason I listed above, but it also was rediculously hard if you ask me. Way harder than SM64 if you ask me and there were quite a few levels where I was dying nonstop and even some of the easier levels made me die. Hooray for 1-Up Mushrooms! The music, as with the other two games, was incredible and it produced a very favorite song in all of gaming (definately not an exaggeration) for me.

So yeah, SMG2 is my favorite with SMG1 and SMW trailing close behind.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Donkey Kong 64. That game was so much fun. Some parts were also ridiculously difficult. But it gave a lot more than I anticipated when I first put it in. It was also a lot, and I do mean a lot, longer than I anticipated I used to stay up late for hours playing the multiplayer with my siblings.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Banjo-Kazooie would win this as it is also my favourite game. When I first played it, I absolutely hated it. I in fact cried when I got it for Christmas because I hated it so much. But I started to play it, and fell in love with it. Everything about it is amazing. The levels, the music the characters. I could go on and on. It's one of the few games where I love playing through the entire game.
Now I really want my N64!

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
That's a tough one. I'm going to say Super Mario 64, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 was phenomenal as well. I also loved the 2D ones like Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3. So, I suppose my answer is all of them.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Im going to say New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The difficulty was spot on. For more casual gamers it was actually possible to beat the game! For more experienced/dedicated gamers you could spend a lot of time (and I spent a LOT of time) finding all of the star coins are beating the levels in world 9.

The graphics are awesome, the levels are superb, the best 2D levels ever made IMO, the bosses had some variation which was nice, and the final showdown was one of the best in Super Mario history. It managed to make platforming the focus of the battle, and I think it was great.

It's the best/most updated/most polished platformer I've ever played.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Man, there a lot of good ones from the SNES era - Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Yoshi'd Island...
I would just like to add that out of SMG1 and SMG2, I would definately pick SMG1; I just liked the game more. However, they are not in the running for my favorite platformer.
I just cannot choose between Super Mario World and Super Paper Mario.
If I really had to pick one, it would be Super Paper Mario. It was simply a fantastic game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom