• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is It About Zelda?

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Some people's answers to posts are based off of why they play Zelda. If this is already a post, I apologize cause I wanted to respond to it yet couldn't find it, but I started wondering "Why do we personally like Zelda games?" Some like them for the temples, some for the side quests, some for the bosses, some for the cool items, some just because it's a whole other fantasy world.

I know for me, the number one attraction is the world. The worlds of Zelda have their own history, rules, and physics that we get to dive into and figure out how they work. How is it for you?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Hmm... well, the reason for my initial attraction to Zelda is probably pretty sad to most of you.

It's because Zelda was the closest thing to a good RPG I could find on a Nintendo system after Square stopped making Final Fantasy games for Nintendo. To be honest, I felt like I was "settling for" Zelda when I first got into it, because I was a die-hard RPG fan (to the point that I even liked Pokemon back then). It was just more along the lines of my tastes than Mario.

These days, now that I have options for 3-D RPGs, I find that I don't have the patience to think that way anymore. I've discovered how tedious it is to constantly worry about unbalancing my character by increasing the wrong attributes, killing an NPC I need to keep alive, training weapon skills, and wear/tear on weapons/armor.

Basically, I like Zelda because it's somewhat open-ended like an RPG, lets you change out equipment, take things in bottles for later use, and use items in certain situations (but not to the point of being tedious), requires a certain degree of thought to beat enemies and get past traps in a way you don't see in platform games, but is still linear enough that you can't screw up anything essential without getting another chance. It's like a cross between an RPG and a platform game that gets rid of the hairier complexity in RPGs, as well as the overly linear and repetitive nature of platform games.

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
I must agree with you. Its nice to play a video game that makes the fantasy world seem so real. Part of me actually believes that Hyrule is a real place that I will see in person one day :P Haha, lame but true. The music was something that always got me. Ocarina of time just solidified my life of Loz so much more. From that point on, the music in combination with the fantasy world coming alive, made me fall in love with the series that much more. <3 Aw, how sweet.

Austin

Austin
That's actually a very tough question. I can't really say I love Zelda so much, and I really do love the game series. I've beaten them all and I continue to replay them over and over.
My guess is the fact Nintendo created a world with their own characters, creatures, and towns/land marks. During the old school days, competition over video games weren't as vast as they are today. So Nintendo having their own console, create a game series that had a more intuitive story line then Mario. Let me add that back in the day, story lines were rare. It was you played a video game just for fun without a use of a story line to follow.
Then continue creating a game with a good story line, and each game making the story line more exciting. Also adding new graphics and characters to make the game more new, but keeping old ones to bring back memories.

That's why I think Zelda is so loved by man.

DesertDweller

Love Truth
What's it about Zelda for me? It depends on the particular game. A few such as AoL are purely for the stellar and engaging gameplay. Most however, for me, are primarily because of the variety and diversity of characters, each with their own sub-story to tell if you talk to them.

I guess that's a subset of the "it's a whole new world" option. :)

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
A good question indeed. :)

Well, the main reasons why I play and enjoy Zelda is because it usually is set in a medieval world where magic and swords are prevalent and that there are many different creatures and people that reside in the worlds that Zelda is set in. Also the characters that appear in the series each have a certain charm to them that makes me want to get to know them and see what happens to them as the story goes on. The stories and music that each game has are two more reasons why I play the games.

I have many more reasons as to why Zelda interests me, but I cannot think of anymore at this moment.

CZG

After more than 20 years, I'm still trying to find that out.
I love the first LoZ, and I also like ST a lot. But, there are not much similarities between those games.
In terms of the impression the indivudual games gave me anyway.

Except that you are running around with a sword while dressed in green most of the time. But that's not much of a reson to like a game, is it? While the music is great thoughout the whole series, it's not the only reason for me to buy this stuff.

I think I just like the casual gaming feeling that I have, while playing these series.
Yes, this even applies to LoZ and AoL. You only have to use a d-pad and about three buttons man!
The beginning is easy, the end is pretty challenging but not next to impossible or anything.
And, there are no things in the game that you can't beat without knowledge from outside the game or anything.
(although walking through the wall in the second quest took me a year to discover...)

RPG games are so lenghty at times. While they have interesting stories, you need to fight many, many battles to get somewhere in terms of getting stronger. I prefer finding a Heart Container in a secret place over battling hundreds of enemies to gain a bunch of experience points and a few stat points if you are lucky. Then you've gone up one level, another 30 levels to go before you go the the final boss.

Games like Gran Turismo are fun when you are technically interested in tuning cars and when you paid attention at school. Games like first person shooters are fun if you are into that thing and they usually seem to be most fun playing online. Maybe they made it easier now, but some years ago, I would not know how to play a game on the Internet. Servers? Ping? I still don't know what all that means. And I'm not interested either.

You just jam a Zelda game in your console or handheld and play it.

Mario is good too, but way more frustrating and challenging. Like, it's really made to loose lives.... But you get 'em almost just as easy. Mario's lives are designed to last for a short time. Zelda games are more focussed on the long play instead of a short, timed stage you have to beat quickly. Of course, you can die, but otherwise it would not be exciting when you wouldn't have sweaty hands and a fast heartbeat when facing the final boss.

And it does have a story. I'm not much into Pac-Man, Pong, Bust-A-Move, Tetris and those games. Nice findings on Tetris, awesome inventions, very smart. But very boring too! I just can't play these things more than 10 minutes.

One more thing that made the games great was a world where you can walk around, instead of a level that you never see again unless you get a game over.... You could actually walk back and forth and even re-enter a dungeon. Awesome!

Casual gaming does the trick for me I think. In a very balanced video game series. Great music, good graphics, nice motions, complex stories and with some very relaxing gameplay combined with some peak moments to keep you on your toes.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
For me, it was always a combination of the story and of the LoZ universe itself. The world of LoZ is so big, diverse, beautiful, and more than anything, open ended. With each game we get a new world to explore, usually set several hundred years after a previous game, and little explanation of the history of the land. We get a brief prologue in some cases, and various references to other events in other games, but never a fully defined story between the stories. This has been enough to create an enthusiastic Timeline community, but I'm not so much interested in that as I am just filling in the gaps. It's fun to try and imagine how the people adapted to the great flood between OoT and WW, or what Link ended up doing after leaving Termina, or even little things like Linebeck's history and world of origin.

Speaking of that, it's also the characters. Every LoZ game brings out some memorable characters, and I love to meet them, learn about them, and theorize about them. The LoZ games actually make the world feel real to an extent in that you actually get some satisfaction out of saving the people you're saving.

I guess in summary, the most appealing thing about the LoZ series (for me anyways) is its immersive world.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Well for me the most obvious choice is that OoT was the very first video game I owned at the age of 7. In many, respects I can relate it to the fact that I support Liverpool football club, I live on the otherside of the country from the Liverpool, however they were the first team I ever saw play so naturally I supported them. I think of Zelda in the same way, I have a massize amount of respect and loyalty to Zelda... if anything bad were to happen to the game, God forbid, I would probably be quite heartbroken.

Secondly, I love games which are based in the traditional Medieval setting, it just makes the game seem just that little bit more real compared to games such as Mario where a plumber grabs the tail of a dragon-turtle, or Sonic where a blue spiked hedgehog can run faster than the speed of sound. Ahem, yes.

Zelda rules!

RPG has always been my favorite genre in games.
Still, my most beloved franchise is not Final Fantasy neither Dragon Quest, it's Zelda. :)

And I think the main reason for this, is that Zelda is a memorable game.

Hyrule exhales personality and beauty. The game is memorable in each and every way. All the exciting moments, the gorgeous musics, the dungeons, the exploration and it's discoveries, everything is remarkable in a way no other games could achieve! There are so many characters, each one more interesting than the last, to the point Zelda fans don't even call them NPCs! Actualy, most of us know the name of almost all the characters in the series! (o_O)

Making the first step into Hyrule Fields and watching it's sunset for the first time is just like... beautiful.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
well what attracted me was the way you could explore the world of Hyrule and do what you wanted. You could find treasure (piecesof heart, rupee's) you could always fight enemies and I loved the end when you fight Ganon or Ganondorf. But what really got to me has to be the expansion of weapons the ability to have money and that you where always exploring deeper into the world of Zelda.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
The storylines and the music attracted me to Zelda. Not much more than that. I have fallen in love with it over the years after I played OoT

U

UltramarineZora

I was attracted to the Zelda gameplay by three words: Medieval-based Times.

I adore the weapons used by Link, from slingshot to Longshot and Bow/arrow. The variety of weapons to use is amazing, and I love the different ways in which Link can hold/swing a sword.
The adventure, as well, the whole 'saving princess zelda while going through many hardships' is just like many Medieval stories. The struggles that Link face along the way kind of are attention grabbers, which simply suck you deeper into the game. You may also think of your own feelings for Link; such as 'maybe Link could like this girl, hate this farmer, become friends with him...' and so on.

c:

U

UltramarineZora

Medieval-ness

I was attracted to the Zelda gameplay by three words: Medieval-based Times.

I adore the weapons used by Link, from slingshot to Longshot and Bow/arrow. The variety of weapons to use is amazing, and I love the different ways in which Link can hold/swing a sword.
The adventure, as well, the whole 'saving princess zelda while going through many hardships' is just like many Medieval stories. The struggles that Link face along the way kind of are attention grabbers, which simply suck you deeper into the game. You may also think of your own feelings for Link; such as 'maybe Link could like this girl, hate this farmer, become friends with him...' and so on.

c:

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
The Zelda games are really unique. I love they gameplay, I love the stories they have, I love the characters, etc. I really enjoy playing the games because they give me something to do, and it's something I could play all day. I've gotten into it from my mom, and I don't think anything could make me stop liking the games. I've loved the story in all of the Zelda games that I've played. They're all really good. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom