• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What country is The Kingdom of Hyrule based on?

What country/continent do you think Hyrule is based on?

• Europe (England, France, Germany)

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • Africa (Egypt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Middle East (Israel)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
I think it was based from the netherlands and germany due to the netherlands having large, plain open fields and ranches and then also germany with its castles.

Necro the hell out of this:

So the main kingdom, with the field, the ranch and the castle, seem German or HRE. Kakariko in the older games is a classic thatched-roof English or Danish windmill town, but is now heavily Japanese. The Gerudo are obviously Middle Eastern / Ottoman-inspired (kind of racist tropes and all). The Lost Woods have always felt straight out of like a Celtic or Welsh legend. The Gorons are Italian because volcano, the Zora are Greek because faaaaaancy.

New Hyrule is America.

Hyrule is based on Persia. Ganondorf is Zahhak or Azi Dahhak.

Link is much more Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Japanese. That's what makes Zelda weird and unique.

The heaviest influence of main Hyrule is Medieval Europe, based on the castle(s), weapons, armors, buildings, and many clothing styles, with the occasional influence from elsewhere, to keep things interesting. This actually brings up an interesting topic, where I think many people are missing the boat on, at least a little. Many people have the perspective that understanding the game through a Japanese liens is the only way to understand the game. Yet, from the beginning, the game series has always reflected a focus on the Medieval, christian, European culture. This would suggest it is better to look at it through both lenses. Instead of looking at just the culture, and language, of the creators, but the source of inspiration as well.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Many people have the perspective that understanding the game through a Japanese liens is the only way to understand the game. Yet, from the beginning, the game series has always reflected a focus on the Medieval, christian, European culture. This would suggest it is better to look at it through both lenses. Instead of looking at just the culture, and language, of the creators, but the source of inspiration as well.
I disagree, the original language always better conveys the intent of any story, especially when we see numurous times that the translated version has errors. Think of it like the original language is as close to firsthand information that is possible, translations are secondhand and has potential to be altered, conveyed differently, etc. Just as a general rule, firsthand information is always better.

That's only regarding text, however. I agree with you that analyzing locations, scenes, thematic elements, etc... through varied lenses is always a good idea and can often shine more light on the games. Breath of the Wild being a perfect example, we can't limit it to only one cultural lens, it has geographic elements of various places in reality. The Taobab Grasslands are heavily inspired by the Baobab trees native to Madagascar. Laverra Beach and few other coastal areas in the game look to be influenced by beaches in California. Laverra Beach specifically gives me Big Sur Coast vibes. Meanwhile Lurelin Village is probably inspired by Hawaii. A lot of the rock formations in the Gerudo area look like mountains from Utah. And these are just a few examples, there are so many more, there are likely references to real places that I still haven't noticed yet.

I disagree, the original language always better conveys the intent of any story, especially when we see numurous times that the translated version has errors. Think of it like the original language is as close to firsthand information that is possible, translations are secondhand and has potential to be altered, conveyed differently, etc. Just as a general rule, firsthand information is always better.

That's only regarding text, however. I agree with you that analyzing locations, scenes, thematic elements, etc... through varied lenses is always a good idea and can often shine more light on the games. Breath of the Wild being a perfect example, we can't limit it to only one cultural lens, it has geographic elements of various places in reality. The Taobab Grasslands are heavily inspired by the Baobab trees native to Madagascar. Laverra Beach and few other coastal areas in the game look to be influenced by beaches in California. Laverra Beach specifically gives me Big Sur Coast vibes. Meanwhile Lurelin Village is probably inspired by Hawaii. A lot of the rock formations in the Gerudo area look like mountains from Utah. And these are just a few examples, there are so many more, there are likely references to real places that I still haven't noticed yet.
As I am looking into the field of translated works (in general because I'm not a linguist) I'm finding two perspectives on translations. The most common, especially in our hobby, seems to be that there is always degradation of information; something lost in translation, even if it is a really good translation, and very little is lost.

There is another perspective, though. There is the idea that translation offers an opportunity to expand upon the understanding of what is being said. This is more of an ideal to strive for, in my mind, rather than a current defining state of the series, though.

The translations should be good enough to compare, and derive a combined meaning, that is superior to just one, as apposed to one translation being better than another. I want the translations to be of such high caliber to be able to gather a better understanding by even comparing the Castilian version. While I don't think we are fully there, I don't think the English version is completely broken, either. When we do find a difference, we should dig into the difference, rather than toss out anything that isn't Japanese. We should ask why that difference is there. (is it an error? Is there a pun that doesn't translate? Is there an idea that the team is trying to expand upon? And, so on.) We should dig deeper, rather than simply assume.

As an example: Apparently, 10,000 is commonly used, in Japanese, to mean an uncountable number. I have seen people bring out the direct translations, where 10,000 is used, so they push that the English concept of the actual numerical value is correct, and it is a literal 10,000. Yet, if the intent were for it to be uncountable, the theorist is off base, especially if the translation is more vague about how much.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
A lot of the rock formations in the Gerudo area look like mountains from Utah
if you want to make something look like utah, you use stratification, arches, and a LOT of red
I wouldn't say gerudo highlands is particularly emblematic of anywhere in the american southwest due to the lack of sagebrush, but if I had to pick any state I'd say arizona

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
if you want to make something look like utah, you use stratification, arches, and a LOT of red
I wouldn't say gerudo highlands is particularly emblematic of anywhere in the american southwest due to the lack of sagebrush, but if I had to pick any state I'd say arizona
Idk I just feel like there are a lot of red/orange rocks, a fair amount of arches, and stratified rocks

So, what country does everyone think Hyrule is supposed to be based on? I don't think it's Oriental as Hylians have Christian like characteristics, The Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time and earlier LoZ games have a Christian theme. The Book of Magic in The Legend of Zelda even has a cross on it, like The Holy Bible, a Christian book. Some fans have speculated Hyrule is like The Promised Land and is therefore based on The Middle East, specifically, Ancient Israel but the terrain in the game suggests a European setting, specifically, I'm thinking Northern Europe, such as England, or even France, maybe even Germany based on the lush fields and countryside.

What does everyone else think?
It LOOKS like it's Europe with Christianity, but in practices it's Shinto with the Royal Family are founded by a Goddess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom