• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Are Your Saddest/most Emotional Games?

squadala

I don't like you either
This is a question that has been on my mind recently, and I've been wanting to ask it for a while now. So, what are the saddest/most emotional games you've ever played. We all might know how deep emotions can run in certain video games. But before I post I just want to point out that this thread has the potential to contain MAJOR spoilers, SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. Anyway, in no particular order here is my list.

MOTHER 3
If anyone here has also played this game I probably don't need to say any more. Only 30 minutes into the game your mother is brutally killed, later on your twin brother is brainwashed, you father loses it, and your happy little town and all of its peacful inhabitants are corrupted by technology and become selfish snobs. Forest animals are mutated into monsters and in the end your brother commits suicide and you are forced to destroy EVERYTHING you know. A strong theme is hope is throughout the game though.

MAJORAS MASK
This game is really emotional to me. The apocolyptic feel and everyone acting so dreary just demotivates me. The souls of heroes are lost and peoples lives are being ripped apart. A lot of the music doesn't help either. Though it is my favorite game ever, its also one of the saddest.

ANY POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON GAME
The main theme of these moderatley obscure games is that you are a human who somehow inhabits a pokemons body to help save the world. In the beginning you are given a partner that you interact with the whole game. In the end of all of them you leave your partner and go back to where you came from more or less. In my opinion the second series was the saddest, especially when Grovyle sacrificed himself.

LINKS AWAKENING
YAY! You saved the world, you awoke the Wind Fish, you got the girl and.... what? Where am I? It all turns out to be a dream. Everything you did was merely a mirage of what didn't happen. That really sucks!

EARTHBOUND
Maybe not as sad as it future game, but its close. Initially you leave the home and family you love to set out on the impossible quest of saving the world which was appointed to you by a messenger from the future. Towards the end your souls are placed in robots, and you head to a dystopic past knowing there's no possible way to return. Of course you do and the world is saved, but the hopeless feelings throughout this game landed it a spot on the list.

ANIMAL CROSSING
Now you may ask, "Animal Crossing doesn't even have a story, why is it on here?" Well at least in my household when a villager moves ITS AS IF GRANDPA DIED!!! I mean whenever one of your favorite friends spontanously decides to leave you forever, you feel like you never want to play again. Its especially bad when you hav'nt played in a while and everyones gone and your town is a wasteland.

So I apologize for all the spoilers in this thread. Please post your games here. Thanks!

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
I'm with you on the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.One of the reasons I love them is the story, and the events that happen along the way always make me get emotional, in happy and sad ways. I also feel the same with Animal Crossing. A neighbor will say they're thinking of moving and I always reply back" Don't go, stay here!" even though they leave anyway. :(

The most Emotional game I have ever played was Shadow of the Colossus, Its also one of the most atmospheric games I have played, though I have seen many people who have played it and don't feel any emotion connection to it (understandable, as the games story is very subtle). To name a Nintendo related game, I will have to say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2. There were some very emotional scenes near the end, these were also enhanced by great music. Specifically the incident with Grovyle, though the sadness of that plot point was sort of ruined in explorers of sky in my opinion.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Well I'm currently playing Aquaria. I'm not too far into it, but it has a very deep story, and we'll see how it ends up.

In Fire Emblem for the Gameboy Advance, when Eliwood retrieved the Sword from the cavern's and then he came outside with the rest of the gang, then
Nergal came in and try to kidnap Nil's from him, but then Eliwood stopped him. Then the Ice Dragon, (Ninian), came and then Eliwood killed the dragon. Once Nergal left, then Ninian, went back to her human form, then everyone went all- NO! NO! sob sob-

I found that to be very upsetting, and it made me cry myself.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

squadala said:
ANY POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON GAME
squadala said:
The main theme of these moderatley obscure games is that you are a human who somehow inhabits a pokemons body to help save the world. In the beginning you are given a partner that you interact with the whole game. In the end of all of them you leave your partner and go back to where you came from more or less. In my opinion the second series was the saddest, especially when Grovyle sacrificed himself.

For me, it was moreso the second set of games than the first set. Both sets were pretty emotional, though.

squadala said:
EARTHBOUND

For me, the only sad part is the ending. Because, you know, it's the ending. And the party's gonna go back to their everyday lives and not be together anymore.

Aside from the first two, I'd have to put Okami and Chrono Trigger in there. Granted I haven't beaten Chrono Trigger yet, but it has been VERY emotional for me.

T

TheTruth

Yeah to the pkmn mystery dungeon games, when I was like 5 or 6 I always cried at the end. Even though I know I stay in the game and play more.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Agreed, the PMD games are realy sad at the ends. Nearly every time i end one, i hold back tears. well not quite, but it makes me feel slightly upset. Especially the music. THE MUSIC IS SO SAD!!!

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Majora's Mask - Most of us have played this and know why I have it listed.

Silent Hill 2 - Between the music, voice acting, and overall story, this one is about about as emotional as a game can be IMO, especially near the end when James learns what happened with his wife.

Pop 360

Angel Beats Geek
Professor Layton & The lost Future.
I proper cried for at least 20 mins

SPOILER:
Poor luke, Layton:A gentleman never makes a scene in public
Luke:I'm not a gentleman yet :(:(:(
I hated it when luke left and when clive and layton had the scene from ten years in the past, I also cried when claire left.
(sorry I don't know how to do the spoiler hider)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Can't really say saddest, but I do have some emotional.

Twilight Princess
In this game, everytime Link feels anger or frustration, I am right there with him. When Link first encounters Midna, I thought "What a brat! I don't want to work with you." When Collin was kidnapped I thought "Oh, you are going to die." And when Zant put his Twilight around Hyrule castle after Zelda just gave up her "power" to save Midna, the slow growing anger on Link's said everything on how I was feeling. Whenever Link felt an intense emotion, I felt it with him.

Infamous
This game had my emotions going all over the place. It seems like everyone in the city just wants Cole to suffer, even the people he works with. The people Cole trusts are the people I trust. The people Cole hates are the people I hate. The moments that Cole goes from trusting to hatred are same moments I do. I want and feel what Cole wants and feels because he is put through such anguish that I can't help but side with him.

Norisom

Hero of Something...
For me they would have to be.....

Wind Waker
I chose this game because of the good times me and my step brother had with this game. We used to play it every single day, never using a walkthrough and finding everything ourselves. This is definitely my favorite game in the series and it is so special to me that I will only play on really really really special occasions.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
A few years ago when I had my surgery done, I could not walk, I had recently got Ring of Fates about a week before and since I couldn't walk I could only play it since it was the only game I had on me. After about two months of sitting on a couch while everyone else was enjoying there summer vacations. This game had made it's way into a very special and reserved place in my heart. Me and this game have been through a lot and I will always cherish my memories with it.

Animal Crossing Wild World/City Folk
These two games are quite simple to explain I was so obsessed with them that I literally tried to reset real life (no joke) so I could do things over. I played it all winter with my friend and we loved it. It was also a special game to a special person that I knew and we talked about it all the time until one day she moved away. Since this was all I would play around the time she moved. Whenever I play this I am reminded of her and the special memories we had. She is in the hospital nowdays and I wonder if she still plays.

Yume Nikki
So this girl named Madotsuki (Muh-dot-skee) is exploring her dreams which, to be blunt, are messed up. The images she dreams about insinuate mature, disturbing, and otherwise frightening themes. What really hit me with this game is the last thing Madotsuki does which is
commit suicide.
I don't think any other words are needed.
MOTHER
Why does everyone keep saying the third one is sadder? The third one was way too childish in its humor and sadness, and that kind of turned me away. Anyway, the original Mother really slammed me with its plot because
a husband and wife (George and Mary) get abducted mindlessly, after which George returns with a psychokinetic power that he stole from his alien captors. What made me sad is that someone who Mary took in and raised (Giegue), after which that 'someone' turns on her and calls his alien cronies to abduct her and George. Despite this, Mary still cares for Giegue. At the end, that someone curses the wife's name (hypothetically) which says he didn't care for her forgiveness and was a cruel heart-breaker.
Cave Story
Cave Story really moved me. First of all, the creator (Daisuke Amaya) recommended playing the game with no prior knowledge. I did just that. Everything hit me WAY harder than most others because of that. I cried when
Curly died. In addition to the timing, she was the one character you grew emotionally attached to, whereas you either fought or worked for everyone else, so their deaths were more like reliefs than griefs. But Curly's death stuck with me throughout the rest of the game, and I couldn't help but shed a tear whenever they referenced her in the last hour of the game. Then I found a walkthrough on my second playthrough, found out that you could save Curly and was like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAHT WAS I THINKING TO LOOK THIS UP?" That said, Cave Story feels VERY magical whenever I go back to it.

Last edited:

Caeda

Keyblade Master
For me, it's the Golden Sun series.

(MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE LOST AGE AND DARK DAWN)

At the end of the Lost Age, Issac and Felix are forced to fight a dragon that turns out to be their parents. (If you want to know who did it, it was the wise one.) The espesially sad part about that is that Issac knew what he was doing before he even drew his sword. I know that it turns out alright in the end, but it's sad nonetheless. And a little more then halfway through Dark Dawn, after activating the eclipse, those monsters that show up kill both a defenseless woman and Briggs. And on top of that, Sveta's brother desides to stay with the people of Belinsk and basically sacrafices himself. I think I'll leave it there for now because I'm about to cry just thinking about it.

Godkarmachine

Angry Megaman Fan
I'm with you with Majora's Mask and Mother 3, you forgot to mention the sunflower fields part though, where Lucas sees his dead mother and tries to reach her hand, falling from a cliff in the end...
For me i think....Megaman Zero 4, sad part of this game is the ending in which zero saves the world but ends up dead, Ciel cries through the staff credits but hopes Zero is still alive though... at the end a screenshot with Zero's destroyed helmet buried in the sand appears
In Luigi's Mansion, the moment when you enter the well and first see Mario inside of the painting in the Secret Altar and Luigi tries to reach him, that moment was sad for me, oh and the ending when Luigi cries, though that was a cry for joy xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom