• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Was Midna Key to the Story of Twilight Princess?

Was Midna Key to the Story of Twilight Princess?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't know.

• Total voters

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I've been going through my mind, trying to figure out why it is that I feel like TP's story is not as good as that of several other games.

The main thing that stands out to me is that I didn't develop an appreciation or liking of Midna, while most people who liked the story of TP did so. I've come to believe that this is the difference between people who like the story, and people who didn't.

Don't get me wrong... there are other nice touches, like Colin's display of courage, Ilia nursing Prince Ralis back to health, and being saved from the archers by your friends near the end. But the majority of the story seems to unravel and come apart without Midna.

So, my question is this... in your opinion, is the story of Twilight Princess so good that it could easily stand up without Midna, or is an appreciation of Midna necessary to appreciate the story of TP?

I'm not talking about the gameplay, that's obviously very good. My question is more about the story.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, Midna definately played an integral role in the plot of TP without a doubt. You go through three dungeons and she mysteriously knows a lot about the Twilight Realm and Zant and stuff like that and she comes off as somewhat selfish and arrogant. Then she and Link get attacked by Zant and she is on the verge of dying, wishing for Zelda to live in her stead after they arrive in Hyrule Castle again. Basically speaking, the main plot revolved around Midna. Midna was the key ingredient for TP's plot.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I loved Midna, and I felt that she was one of TP's few redeeming qualities. But the story being nowhere near as good as other Zelda games has to do with many things. I do think she was key in some ways, but in others... not so much. The story could have very well worked almost exactly the same without her. Zant could still have obtained Ganon's "blessing", only for reasons other than being jealous of Midna's being chosen to rule. Most of what she tells Link he could have figured out himself. Heck, he'd have eventually gotten out of that jail cell without her help, too. As far as needing a place in the plot, she wasn't necessary. It didn't revolve around her at all- it revolved around Ganon's trying to escape imprisonment and rule two worlds (hello, ALttP).

However, TP tried to focus on character development, and that's where she becomes necessary. Nintendo has constantly been telling us not to judge the book by the cover, and Midna's another example. They did it with Ganon in The Wind Waker, even. Midna's teasing of Link helped in both of their development. The only bad thing to come of it was Midna stealing all the spotlight and making it seem like Link was the sidekick. They could probably have worked on the development of other characters, but it would have felt forced. Afterall, you're busy saving the world, not walking little boys through puberty. Midna allowed character development to flow and evolve alongside battle and adventure.

So, no, Midna wasn't key to Twilight Princess' story. She was key to the area of character development. Still, that feeling of character development was necessary to make the game playable. Lack of true character development was fine for A Link to the Past which TP closely resembles in many areas, but that was a time when story and characters were divulged in the booklet, not so much in-game. Without the character development, TP would be very bland and repetitive. TP focused more on characters than anything this time around, and that's why TP wouldn't be enjoyable without Midna, despite whether one actually likes her or not.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Midna is the whole story. There is a reason you got out of the cell in the Castle, helped her find Fused Shadows, Mirror of Twilight.

Of course Ganondorf gave Zant his power and all that, but Midna was the one dragging Link into it. Of course, he was the Hero, and in the bottom it is Ganon that has the blaim, but Midna is the one putting the story on its tracks...

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think she ties it altogether. She is, after all, the titular Twilight Princess - almost the whole of the story was about her using you to get her kingdom back. There were all kinds of things going on in Twilight Princess, lots of little subplots (which is why I don't *care* what anyone else says, I think TP had possibly the *best* story out of all the Zelda games, "possibly" only because I'm rather partial to the story of Majora's Mask, as well - it was also complex and had many fine NPCs). What tied all these disperate stories together was the Twilight and the rightful ruler of the Twilight Realm (Midna) being restored to her position.

Think about it... as a character, that little imp almost overshadowed *Link.*

I love her, myself... she's a great deadpan snarker. I liked to sarcastically call her "Paperclip" at first when I first played the game (a reference to the Microsoft Office paperclip-character who bothers you when you don't want it to - remember, I played TP before I played Ocarina of Time and met Midna before I met Navi!) ... But, slowly and surely she started developing some softness, little hints of regret along the way until she became a full-fledged "good" character - a strong ruler who wanted to save her people.

I don't know that liking Midna is the key to liking Twilight Princess - I think that's a subjective thing, but I find that most people who (like me) really enjoyed the game enjoyed Midna as a character. And, as seen above, even people who didn't otherwise like the game - some of them still like Midna.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I felt Midna was more a catalyst for the story rather than key to it. That sounds kind of like a contradiction, but what I mean is that Midna's existence as a character was what got the entire plot moving, but she herself really didn't have that big a role in the story beyond setting it into motion. She was the reason Link escaped from his cell and met Zelda, but after that her only other unique roles in the plot were when Zelda made that sacrifice to save her life, and when she killed Zant. But the former wasn't vital to the story at all, and the latter was something Link could have done himself. So if you really think about it, all Midna did was start the story for us, as far as plot is concerned anyways.

There is also the fact that she, like most sidekicks, provides a lot of background information and story, but all the other major characters: Zelda, Zant, the Light Spirits, they all provided background too, so Midna wasn't key in that regard either. Most of what she said could have been told by either the Light Spirits or other Twili if we could talk to them.

As for the plot itself, I rather enjoyed the plot regardless of Midna's presence. She gave us random information and kept us on track but without adding much to the plot herself. She wasn't even there for most of the climax save for that one epic (though suicidal) attempt at chivalry. I think the best word for her role storywise is "narrator" since she's there with us...but not really doing much.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well the game isn't called 'Twilight Princess' for nothing. Midna seems like more of a vital role than Link, as far as the overall story goes. Link is just a faithful night with his own problems that happen to pop up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Link, such a thing would be blasphemous, but if you notice, up until Midna is supposedly killed by Ganondorf, every part with Midna in the overall story is focused on her, not Link. Ganondorf doesn't even talk to Link until the final sword battle. "Deny me then. Yes you and your little friend." This is how Link's role is viewed.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Bearing in mind that I am biased because I like TP's story (:)), I think it depends both on whether you wanted to change the character or eliminate her altogether. A personality shift would not cause a correspondingly huge shift in the story, though I do like that she's snarky and sarcastic. Though I think eliminating the character altogether would at least force it to change significantly and could worsen it.

One thing I like about TP is that it introduced a shade of gray to Hyrule, in that even good kingdoms can make mistakes. The world of Twilight had essentially been created as a prison. For whatever reason - either ignorance of the realm's evolution or pure desperation - the present-day sages threw an extremely powerful and known traitor into that realm. In my opinion the Twili would have every right to hate the world of light for such an action, and that was really what was key for me; despite her justified anger Midna had awesome character growth and grew to realize that there were good people in Hyrule, like Link and Zelda, and that if everyone were more like them, "Then maybe you'll do all right." Story-wise I think it helped to have a character to help represent the plight of the Twili, as it made it easier to relate to them. And it was a good parallel with Zelda to have that character be the Twilight Princess.

Eliminating the character would also change details such as needing Midna to enter the world of Twilight or using the warp portals. If we didn't have her to help Link change from wolf and back, then he'd have to do it himself, and I wouldn't want to have to change his characterization to explain it.

In sum, I definitely think she was key to the story as it was. Though I have written enough in the past that I know it's possible to take the same premise and write an entirely different story, so there's always that.

Hell, yes. like finding breaking the mirror and held the fused shadows, let you into the shadow world, and hints that kept you away from death, teleporting you and other items, turning you into a wolf and back

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Without a doubt yes. What happened in her world reflected also the world of Link. Link was the one who had to fullfill the prophecy in her world. She needed him to help her and she also used him. Midna did what most people here already said. She was the key in this story. It was all about her. First they had to search for the fused shadows and then for the mirror pieces to get into the Twilight Realm.

D

deathsword94

Personally, TP is my favorite game of the series, so I'm definitely gonna say Midna played a HUGE roll. She IS the Twilight Princess. In fact, she plays a bigger roll than Zelda.

P

PrinceRalis

o.k, no offense, but the answer is completely obvious! I agree with treehuggerpanda! Why else would the title be "The Legend Of Zelda:Twilight Princess"? of course the game revolves around midna

Exactly! I mean seriously, Midna saves Link's life, kills Zant, and Link falls in love with her(you can just tell at the end when Midna becomes Twilight Princess form, and when she leaves).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom