• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Voice Acting In Zelda Wii U

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy
With The Exception Of Grunts, Giggles, Etc, No Zelda Game To Date Has Actually Used Voice Acting To Tell It's Story. Do You Think Nintendo Should Experiment With This Using Zelda Wii U? Should Link Be Given A Voice Actor With Dialogue?

Personally, Why I Don't Think Nintendo Needs To Add This, It Would Be Something Interesting To See.

I dont think voice acting would ruin the series. It would just make it so people who can't read could enjoy the story. I think it would make the game more movie like. I did enjoy the voice acting in metroid prime 3.

No no no no no. Voice acting should be kept out of the Zelda series. One of the things that makes Link's character so relatable is that he doesn't have a severe personality. You understand his motives and feelings just from his expressions and body language. Imagine, if you will, Skyward Sword with voice acting. Half of Link's lines would be something along the lines of "I need to save Zelda." By the end of the game, you'd just want to kill him.

Link in general is a surprisingly 2D character. He's brave, and he cares about Zelda. That's about it. As gamers, we don't care. We can project whatever personality traits we'd like onto him. Link serves as a "link" between the player and the game, and without voice acting, it's easier to put ourselves in Link's boots and get more involved with the story line. His relatively non-existent personality would become completely apparent with the introduction of spoken lines.

Nope. Nope nope nope. I will probably never change my mind on this issue. Zelda is a beautiful game because it doesn't need voice acting or hour-long cut scenes to make you care about the fate of its characters. It's done a remarkable job by not succumbing to current gaming trends and still maintaining loyalty among its fans. The series has already proven time and again that it doesn't need voice acting to be great. If it a'int broke, don't fix it.

R

Robgoro

I'm going to have to lean on Beckira's response for this one. Zelda isn't exactly "the greatest story ever told" and, unlike games which have voice acting (Skyrim, Fallout 3, The Old Republic, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted being a few examples), it doesn't have a compelling narrative.

As western game developers have come to dominate the industry and more and more franchises are starting to cast experience, big name actors (like Liam Neison or Mark Hammel), people have come to associate depth or quality with that trait, and, quite frankly, that's an opinion that's culturally bound and extremely premature. My opinion on voice acting in Zelda has changed quite a bit after Kid Icarus: Uprising, if only because of how brilliantly handled the script was...but, on the other hand, it's grand orchestral score was made to compliment the dialogue. The game's design was poured into a flirtatious and energetic dialogue, and the world design was meant to be as sporadic and nonsensical as the relationships and characters it created - but I digress. This is the best way I can summarize this "debate"

In general, people feel the need to be told a story, not to play one.

When people talk about voice acting in Zelda games, it usually comes with a slew of other criticisms regarding the openness of the world, the repetitiveness of dungeons and the seemingly narrow use of some items. This is when you step over the "I think the series could be better" line and into "I want Zelda to be like my favorite game" territory. The reason Zelda can get away with not having voice acting is because of the richness of nonverbal gestures and complimentary soundtrack (seriously, how many renditions of the Groose theme were there?) - and it works. Zelda isn't a game that can really benefit from voice acting, either - I (albeit personally) don't think that it adds any more richness to the world and, in some cases, you have to edit the language to make it sound like things people would actually say.

Think about the way you write a formal essay for class. Now think about giving a presentation to the class on the same subject. You're likely going to change the way you communicate simply because the way we deliver messages in text is much, much different than how we deliver them in verbal situations.

Where the idea of Ghirahim with a flambouyant voice actor tickles me heart, I don't think that Zelda needs voice acting. I'm willing to believe, though, that if Nintendo did decide to implicate such a design change - they'd do it right.

There is so much potency in the subtext of Zelda's grunts, giggles, laughs and screams that filling the spaces between dialogue is all but challenging. Those sounds, like Mutoh's scream or Batreaux's yelling contests, is really all you need to characterize their "voice". No, personally, I never want to see Zelda turn into a franchise that's marketed with big names and fancy voice actors. It's doing what it needs to do to maintain it's nostalgic value while earning some semblance of modernity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think voice acting might work if it was only in a few cutscenes, like in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. The rest of it should be just text. I wouldnt want Link to have too much dialogue though...like was said before, we can see ourselves as him better without a lot of dialogue. That's the beauty of silent protagonists.

I pretty much second Beckira and Robgoro on the matter.

There was a thread here not too long ago that suggested the characters should be fully voiced, but speak in the fictional language of Hylian. I personally really like this idea and hope it makes it way to a Zelda game someday.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The legend of Zelda does not need full on voice acting at all. It will be too much of a hassle to have both Voice acting and naming the character.

Last edited:
There was a thread here not too long ago that suggested the characters should be fully voiced, but speak in the fictional language of Hylian. I personally really like this idea and hope it makes it way to a Zelda game someday.

I don't see how that would be totally different from the way it is now. Rather than just grunts, giggles, etc, they'd be spouting nonsensical wording.

Although when I think about it in practice, all I can picture is The Sims...

R

Robgoro

I don't see how that would be totally different from the way it is now. Rather than just grunts, giggles, etc, they'd be spouting nonsensical wording.

Although when I think about it in practice, all I can picture is The Sims...

All I can picture is Okami...

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy

That Sounds Like A Neat Idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom