• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Voice Acting In Zelda Wii U

As I've said in many threads, I am not a fan of full voice-acting in the Zelda series, but I think it might be neat to see partial voice acting in the next installment. This should be limited to cutscenes among the game's main characters, but the NPCs should remain voiceless. Well... I'll just say, if anything, the NPCs could still have voices, but they should be limited to simple phrases, much like Beedle and the others (i.e. "Thank you!" and "Bye!"). Text boxes should remain intact.

It would destroy some of Zelda's awesomeness. I hate games that have the character say stupid little comments after they kill or solve something

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I hope not, Zelda doesn't need voice acting for it to be considered a great game. Zelda has always worked without voice acting and it needs to stay that way.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As I spend time with other games and other sites, more and more I find myself hating myself for having opinions that are pro-conservative Zelda (except, I love OoT and that probably will never change -- best game ever for life). Among those opinions is the opinion of "OMG NU VOCER ACTINS ZLEDA DUN NED" that oh so many fans like to push out into the online world.

I'll try to rack up a list of things that were whined/complained against in the Zelda series but eventually happened anyway:
  • The switch to 3D - many fans of the original quad-series (LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA) were very unsure of three dimensional graphics in a Zelda game. [not a majority of them I don't think.] However, when Ocarina of Time released, it met insta-praise, and look where it stands now.
  • Different ways of play - many fans of the original controller + buttons method have booed any different kind of way to play the Zelda series. However, the DS games with their stylus-exclusive gameplay have worked quite well. Different, yes, but definitely works [I myself am attached to buttons + analog stick]. The same can be said with SS and the 1:1 swordplay rather than mashing B, though I still would rather have mashing B as an option.
  • Cel Shading - After Spaceworld 2000, everyone wanted a realistic Zelda. We got TWW instead, and while people complained about the cartoony, childish graphics...none can deny that they did nothing but complement the gameworld of The Wind Waker.

And now we have voice acting. Yes, the CD-I games were bad. Did Nintendo have anything to do with them? No they did not. Hell, Nintendo doesn't do much in regards voice acting -- Charles Martinet doesn't fully voice Mario in any of his installments.

What reason exists that makes voice acting in Zelda invalidated besides "I USED 2 LINK BEING SILENT SO VA WUN WORK" and the fact that Nintendo may or may not screw up, hire the wrong cast, and lose money? After all, it isn't like an option to disable voices is impossible to implement (it isn't -- in all good games you have the option to turn down the volume of sound effects, background music, etc.) so that way, the ones who are conservative fans can have silent Link and those who desire beneficial change can have voiced Link/NPCs.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes. Voice acting would tremendously benefit Zelda. It adds emotion to the dialogue and brings the characters to life. So long as Link remains silent (which we all know he would be), Nintendo can't go wrong by using voice acting in the Zelda series. Saying otherwise is plain silly.

I don't want voice acting in the series, If it would happen I could life with it but please don't make Link talk -.-
He's a link between the player and the character, so I can connect a lot better with the game if he doesn't talk.
It gives me the space to give my own opinions.
Also I don't think he has anything interesting to say at all. If he would go on the complete game with talking about
things that happened (that we already saw) it wil get boring, we understand what he says to other characters when a short talking scene appears so speaking is not needed. With voice acting link will also talk at the begin of a battle or when he falls. So at the end of the game, you just want to kill him. Because he would breaks through the action and that would make him just as annoying as Fi.
Also in every Zelda game is a big dialogue with explanation. I can understand that some people don't really understand everything the first time they hear it. The text box makes it clear enough.

Nononono. I'm a purist; keep Link the silent protagonist aside from his grunts and such. Voice acting in Zelda games would just cause problems, I feel; it would either be flat-out terrible or decent but people would still complain.

The Hylian thing is interesting, but I still don't know....

NintyRift

Here and There
I don't really think it needs voice acting....at all... I like the way it is. But if they did do it, PLEASE DO IT WELL. Don't give link a voice either, that's just stupid.

M

Mamuta

I say no; UNLESS they can do it really well. I'm playing Xenoblade Chronnicles right now and I think they did a poor job on the voice acting, but i'm sure it's possible to do a decent job. but until then, no voice acting please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom