• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things to Keep from Skyward Sword

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I approve of this list except for returning to previous dungeons and areas in the overworld. That reminded me too much of the turn handheld Zelda took with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Retracking is never a bad thing but it should be instituted more sparingly and wisely like in Ocarina of Time.

Well, returning to dungeons is a great idea so long as the return has different puzzles in a new area.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
- Wii MotionPlus*
- Adventure Pouch
- Real-time item menu*
- Upgrade system
- Dungeon-style overworld
- Overworld bosses
- Story-involved main antagonist
- Stamina Gauge
- Action-oriented dungeon bosses
- Improved enemy AI and blocking techniques
- Returning to previous areas
- Returning to previous dungeons
- Improved storytelling

I agree only with perhaps 7 of these and those are the:
Upgrade system- this was just a fun part of the game and gave reason for me to collect things.
Overworld bosses- were so underused in SS. I want to see allot more of them in the next Zelda.
Action orientated bosses
Story involved antagonist- I would love to see a more involved antagonist, and I hope that next time around it will be Ganondorf.
Improved enemy AI- Who would not want this?
Improved storytelling- I love story in games, I love participating into the engaging and interesting stories told in Zelda. SS definitely told its story well and combined with cinematic cutscenes it provided one of the best storytelling experiences in Zelda.

In the case of the Motion +, I would not mind if they used it again , but I would like to see them use the Gamepad, If I had a say in the matter I would probably tell Nintendo to try the Gamepad out for the next title. The real time pouch menu would be on the pad so it would not be like in SS and therefore I don't agree on that in this particular case, if the next title was motion + for sure then I would agree. I thought the stamina gauge was a one time thing, there was probably a couple of good uses for it in SS but it really did not contribute much and it's link, link does not have stamina, in other games he can go on for ever lifting weights that the rest of us can only dream of being able to lift. Why change that? As for the dungeon style overworld, that was one of my biggest problems with the game. I want an overworld with things to do in it, but I don't want it to be puzzles. I want action and exploration. SS's overworld looked unnatural, like it was something designed for a game not somewhere that could be a real place. So next time around I want to see something very different to SS's overworld.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I want an overworld with things to do in it, but I don't want it to be puzzles. I want action and exploration. SS's overworld looked unnatural, like it was something designed for a game not somewhere that could be a real place. So next time around I want to see something very different to SS's overworld.

Well, I would prefer there to be an open hub in the center of the land of Hyrule in order to balance out the puzzle areas. I'd prefer them to only be leading up to the dungeons.

Btw, I don't get the "not looking natural" thing. Since when has Zelda ever looked natural? It's always been a world that could never exist in real life, despite the fact that it has some realistic things in it. It's a fantasy series. A world looking natural is one of the last things the series needs to do.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I liked the upgrade system, DEFINITELY keep the beetle. I also enjoyed being able to fight the bosses again, thats legit and they should keep it. The stamina gauge should go -__- it just should.

- The story: I sware to freakin' God if Zelda Wii U has a shallow story like the majority of the Zeldas I'll cry. To spoil me with the impeccable story of Skyward Sword than turn back to the dark ages of Zelda storytelling is pure torture.

- Characters like Groose: I realize every character cannot be like him, but I want a character(s) that has as much character development and emotion that Groose had. You can tell a lot of thought was put into Groose, every line that he said, every movement that was made, beautifully scripted and executed. I WANTZ ME MOREZ OF GWOOSE!

- The dialogue: I think Skyward Sword had some great dialogue. In fact, I think it has the second best dialogue in the game. I was impressed.

- The upgrade system: Skyward Sword had an extremley shallow upgrade system, but atleast Nintendo tried. I like the idea of more RPG elements entering the Zelda series so I hope to see a new and improved upgrade system in the future.

- The stamina gauge: I thought it added a simple yet effective element to the gameplay, combat specifically. No longer can you randomly do spin attacks to save Zelda! Nintendo, I approve.

- The economy: Finally rupees had value! I loved the Bazzar. How it convenietly had all the shops in once place. The Zelda equivalent of a mall..., sort of. I liked how the shops were positioned and where they were located, and I liked how rupees were useful.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I can definitely see the good in most of these, however, some of them I have doubts about. Not that they will be completely horrible for the series, just that I have my doubts about making them staple.

Wii Motion Plus
I enjoyed the Wii-Motion plus and do indeed feel that it can improved future Zelda experiences. The only thing is, the old way of fighting wasn't bad either. In fact, everybody loved it. The saying "If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it" comes in. Both the new way and the old way of fighting are well received so rather than making the mainstream only Wii-Motion plus, a good mix of both may be necessary here.

Adventure Pack
Agree

Real Time Item Menu
Agree

Upgrade System
My beef with this is that the Zelda series already had an upgrading system, it just wasn't as forward as SS. Rather than collecting things, you either had to earn an upgrade by beating a minigame and/or sidequest, buy the upgrade, or do some Random series of events that lead to you getting it. I did like seeing this change in SS, but Personally the other experience is more "out there". SS's experience takes away from the exploring factor. Rather than returning to a specific spot where you know you can get an upgrade as in SS, it seems more adventurous to go out and find exactly how upgrades can be made.

Dungeon Style Overworld
I disagree with this. A dungeon style overworld makes the game feel more linear and leaves less for exploration. Majora's Mask's overworld is much more my preference. Multiple sidequests and little secrets have generally been popular in the Zelda franchise. Also this takes away from the dungeon experience. Dungeon atmospheres should be left to dungeons, that way everything has the right feel to it. An overworld is meant to explore, a dungeon is meant to traverse through, so leave the dungeons in the dungeons.

Overworld Bosses
Fine with this

Story Involved Main Antagonist
Agree very much so

Stamina Gauge
Iffy on this. It was a nice breath of fresh air (heh, see what I did there?) but nothing about it mandates that it continue. It seems awe inspiring at first, but it is very possible that this method could get old in future Zelda's. Zelda continues to manipulate ways to make Link travel faster (Personally, I liked the Pegasus Boots the most) and I think the manipulation should continue.

Action Oriented Bosses
I'm too stupid to know what this means

Improved AI Enemy Blocking Technique
No, but I don't really have a good reason to back it up. Logic says that this is a good improvement. I just got a gut feeling.

Returning to Previous Areas
I don't understand this since this has been established in Zelda games for a while now.

Returning to Previous Dungeons
This I'm iffy of. It could be a good idea if executed correctly (really anything can) but dungeons usually only serve one purpose. The game that made returning to dungeons fun was MM in which you could go back and collect the fairies that you forgot, or just skip straight to the boss battle.

Improved Storytelling
This I disagree with. SS's may have been better at "telling" a story, which is debatable, but the way it did it made SS very linear. Also, you feel very stop and go-ish (not a word) at the beginning because its trying so hard to set up the story. Also, when scenes automatically activate, it takes away from the challenge. Rather than looking for the right Person to talk to, BAM, you automatically know because a cutscene interrupts you because it tells the story better. IMO, TP has the better design for story telling when it comes to Zelda games. You have to do the right things to activate cutscenes and they are generally short or they flowed so that you really didn't feel like you were stopping in the middle of the game.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Here's a quick list of the things from Skyward Sword that I think should become staple in the Zelda series. (Those that would only apply to console Zelda will be marked with an asterisk.)

- Wii MotionPlus*
- Adventure Pouch
- Real-time item menu*
- Upgrade system
- Overworld bosses
- Stamina Gauge
- Improved storytelling

What do you think the series should keep from Skyward Sword?

Edit: Do know that I realize many of these should be improved on in the future.

Perhaps not the adventure pouch unless it is improves upon, as you say. Nice to see an island of positives in a great sea of negativity.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
- Wii MotionPlus*
- Adventure Pouch
- Real-time item menu*
- Upgrade system
- Overworld bosses
- Stamina Gauge
- Improved storytelling

I don't agree with all of these, but one thing that I think should definitely return is a fully orchestrated soundtrack. In the next title, however, I'd like for the music to revert from the atmospheric tone it has taken on and move back to the intensive music that used to be a huge trademark of Zelda. The music of the past, such as Termina Field, stimulated players to explore for hours, so if tracks of that impelling quality could make a comeback then I believe the enjoyability of each new game will return and maybe even excel their predecessors.

skybird11

state alchemist
i don't know about you guys, but i don't use potions too often. I'd like a game with a great difficulty that almost (if not definatly) ensures that you run out of hearts. thus making potions more useful. and to add to that, maybe make fairies less common. not too rare, but not simple finds.

SS made an effort to make potions seem important with the large stall and upgradable potions, but it was still missing something

Random Person said:
Dungeon Style Overworld
I disagree with this. A dungeon style overworld makes the game feel more linear and leaves less for exploration. Majora's Mask's overworld is much more my preference. Multiple sidequests and little secrets have generally been popular in the Zelda franchise. Also this takes away from the dungeon experience. Dungeon atmospheres should be left to dungeons, that way everything has the right feel to it. An overworld is meant to explore, a dungeon is meant to traverse through, so leave the dungeons in the dungeons.

How does a dungeon style overworld contribute to greater linearity? If anything it does the exact opposite with an enemy or puzzle around every nook and cranny. I'm also confused by the bolded part. sidequests and secrets naturally go hand in hand. Also, A Link to the Past proved the secrets are here to stay in the franchise with its numerous cave collectibles.

Random Person said:
This I'm iffy of. It could be a good idea if executed correctly (really anything can) but dungeons usually only serve one purpose. The game that made returning to dungeons fun was MM in which you could go back and collect the fairies that you forgot, or just skip straight to the boss battle.

Completely agree with you concerning Majora's Mask. I actually don't recall returning to any Skyward Sword dungeons except for the Skyview Temple although my memory may be failing me. Skyview though was a nice fusion of all six previous dungeons.

Random Person said:
This I disagree with. SS's may have been better at "telling" a story, which is debatable, but the way it did it made SS very linear. Also, you feel very stop and go-ish (not a word) at the beginning because its trying so hard to set up the story. Also, when scenes automatically activate, it takes away from the challenge. Rather than looking for the right Person to talk to, BAM, you automatically know because a cutscene interrupts you because it tells the story better. IMO, TP has the better design for story telling when it comes to Zelda games. You have to do the right things to activate cutscenes and they are generally short or they flowed so that you really didn't feel like you were stopping in the middle of the game.

This I disagree with. Skyward Sword provided a more fluid and immersive storytelling experience than any previous installment. Cutscenes pulled you into the action especially those involving Ghirahim following completion of the Lanayru Mining Facility and right before Link's final confrontation with him. Also, most dialogue included pause for a player choice revolving around three usually humorous choices. The story went full circle and was a great adventure of a romance. For once in its long history, an installment answered more questions than it created.

This thread reminded me of one element from Skyward Sword that I would prefer to not see return and that is dowsing. Don't get me wrong, it was great for uncovering secrets but even after accustoming myself with it, nevertheless seemed a bit tedious. It did however lend greater purpose not only in the context of story but also gameplay for Fi.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Wii Motion Plus
I enjoyed the Wii-Motion plus and do indeed feel that it can improved future Zelda experiences. The only thing is, the old way of fighting wasn't bad either. In fact, everybody loved it. The saying "If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it" comes in. Both the new way and the old way of fighting are well received so rather than making the mainstream only Wii-Motion plus, a good mix of both may be necessary here.

My thoughts are that Nintendo should have multiple control schemes in future titles, basically like Axle said in his most recent video.

Upgrade System
My beef with this is that the Zelda series already had an upgrading system, it just wasn't as forward as SS. Rather than collecting things, you either had to earn an upgrade by beating a minigame and/or sidequest, buy the upgrade, or do some Random series of events that lead to you getting it. I did like seeing this change in SS, but Personally the other experience is more "out there". SS's experience takes away from the exploring factor. Rather than returning to a specific spot where you know you can get an upgrade as in SS, it seems more adventurous to go out and find exactly how upgrades can be made.

I'm talking about upgrading Link's actual items, not getting larger quivers and bomb bags and the like.

Dungeon Style Overworld

Can't disagree more. While I do think there should be some kind of hub in the middle to explore (or something along those lines), the areas leading up to the dungeons should be puzzle-oriented. Games like MC and ALttP really benefited from this, and it's something people often ignore. It helps keep the action fluent and really builds up the anticipation of getting to the dungeon. Traveling across barren and boring terrain for about 15 minutes is, well, boring. What SS did with its overworld was not. I'm just tired of seeing fans whine and complain saying that Zelda's overworld needs to be all vast and spacious when all that does is typically create bland and uninteresting scenery.

Stamina Gauge
Iffy on this. It was a nice breath of fresh air (heh, see what I did there?) but nothing about it mandates that it continue. It seems awe inspiring at first, but it is very possible that this method could get old in future Zelda's. Zelda continues to manipulate ways to make Link travel faster (Personally, I liked the Pegasus Boots the most) and I think the manipulation should continue.

I don't see how it could get old. Lots of things in the Zelda series have been used over and over again (such as the targeting system) and they haven't gotten old. The Stamina Gauge is something that made us plan out our moves before we executed them and prevented the spamming of the Spin Attack (something that was really easy to do in games like TP). Of course, if more parkour were to be implemented, it could get in the way of that, but I'm sure Nintendo could find away around that. They always seem to do with these sort of things.

Action Oriented Bosses
I'm too stupid to know what this means

Bosses that focus more on the combat rather than a puzzle aspect (i.e. the "stun phase" style).

Improved AI Enemy Blocking Technique
No, but I don't really have a good reason to back it up. Logic says that this is a good improvement. I just got a gut feeling.

It really aids the combat. Not sure why you'd have a gut feeling that it wouldn't work.

Returning to Previous Areas
I don't understand this since this has been established in Zelda games for a while now.

Not like it was in SS. It worked a lot like Metriod this time around. We returned to a previous area, meandered through a bit of familiar territory, and gained access to a previously blocked-off area via a newly-received item. It was really cool and gave each province great diversity.

Returning to Previous Dungeons

Of course it would have to be executed properly. I'm not asking for it to be executed badly. That'd be silly.

Improved Storytelling

Disagree heavily. I find more story involvement to make games more immersive and interesting. I'd rather the second half of future games to feature some open choice in which dungeons can be done first, but the better storytelling should stay. It enhances the game ridiculously. To each his own, I suppose, but I just can't see why you wouldn't want a better story.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I agree with most of the original list except the stamina gauge. I liked the abilities that went with it, but I could only dash for a good four to five seconds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom