• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things to Keep from Skyward Sword

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That was the point. Otherwise we would have been able to abuse it, and that would have been completely lame.
*cough*sidehopping, backwalking, damage boosting and other such things aren't lame*cough*
Hell I would venture to say that having us able to sprint without having the Stamina Gauge restricting us would do fans much more good. Less complaining and more sprinting!

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
*cough*sidehopping, backwalking, damage boosting and other such things aren't lame*cough*
Hell I would venture to say that having us able to sprint without having the Stamina Gauge restricting us would do fans much more good. Less complaining and more sprinting!

By limiting the sprint ability with the Stamina Meter, Nintendo created a more believable experience which went hand in hand with such additions as the Adventure Pouch and Upgrade System.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

-.- Yeah, they kinda are.

Yay, then there would be no strategy element to it! Then the fans would complain about that! =D

Aren't Zelda fans wonderful?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seems like, out of all the fans that voiced their opinion (not talking about strictly ZD), it's around 60% hate Stamina meter or have some gripe with it, ~35.5% are indifferent and the rest happen to like it. Whether it adds strategy or not isn't the problem; the problem is whether or not it gets in the way of fun. More people, again from those who have made their opinion known, seem to have a problem with the meter.

Oh, and my listed things aren't lame. Twenty one minutes, JJ. Twenty one minutes.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Seems like, out of all the fans that voiced their opinion (not talking about strictly ZD), it's around 60% hate Stamina meter or have some gripe with it, ~35.5% are indifferent and the rest happen to like it. Whether it adds strategy or not isn't the problem; the problem is whether or not it gets in the way of fun. More people, again from those who have made their opinion known, seem to have a problem with the meter.

I've also noticed these people tend to be the fans that complain about anything new added into the series because it's not "traditional".

Oh, and my listed things aren't lame. Twenty one minutes, JJ. Twenty one minutes.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're lame. The fact that they can be used to get to places faster is plain ridiculous and makes no sense. Sprinting and not being able to do it forever DOES make sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I've also noticed these people tend to be the fans that complain about anything new added into the series because it's not "traditional".

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're lame. The fact that they can be used to get to places faster is plain ridiculous and makes no sense. Sprinting and not being able to do it forever DOES make sense.
Orly?

Yeah no, sorry. Twenty one minutes would like to disagree with you. The sprinting thing is still just another limitation on Skyward Sword, which in the end makes it less enjoyable to the general player. Might be fun the first few times, but it just gets unbearable after a while. Removing the restriction of the stamina gauge or at the very least making it optional would make many players a lot more happy. Don't care if it makes sense for infinite running or not -- somehow fans will complain about guns and realistic graphics not making sense in Zelda, but silly restrictions somehow are a godsend...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Orly?

Yeah no, sorry. Twenty one minutes would like to disagree with you. The sprinting thing is still just another limitation on Skyward Sword, which in the end makes it less enjoyable to the general player. Might be fun the first few times, but it just gets unbearable after a while. Removing the restriction of the stamina gauge or at the very least making it optional would make many players a lot more happy. Don't care if it makes sense for infinite running or not -- somehow fans will complain about guns and realistic graphics not making sense in Zelda, but silly restrictions somehow are a godsend...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure rolling, sidejumping and all that other junk is much more limited and boring than sprinting. <.<

Garo

Boy Wonder
Here's what I think: I don't care because I know the Stamina Gauge is a brilliant idea and only aids the series. ^^

Yes, a gauge that runs out as you push around blocks to solve puzzles and then severely inhibits your actions when it is fully depleted is a great idea! Yeah. I hate the Stamina Gauge because at its worst it's needlessly punishing and at its best it's useless; if you're going to have a gauge that won't run out while you push blocks, why have that deplete Stamina at all? If you're going to place Stamina Fruits along the vines you have to climb, why bother having the gauge? It's not like it's in any danger of running out.

Then again, there are times when if you move too far in one direction you'll fall before you get to your destination/experience severely restricted movement. Then it's just punishing you for anything short of flawless execution.

And, most importantly: I MISS ROLLING.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yes, a gauge that runs out as you push around blocks to solve puzzles and then severely inhibits your actions when it is fully depleted is a great idea! Yeah. I hate the Stamina Gauge because at its worst it's needlessly punishing and at its best it's useless; if you're going to have a gauge that won't run out while you push blocks, why have that deplete Stamina at all? If you're going to place Stamina Fruits along the vines you have to climb, why bother having the gauge? It's not like it's in any danger of running out.

Then again, there are times when if you move too far in one direction you'll fall before you get to your destination/experience severely restricted movement. Then it's just punishing you for anything short of flawless execution.

It's not punishing you. It's making you plan out your tactics, increasing the amount of strategy in the game. If you just go in and don't pay attention to it, then you're going to pay for it, sure. But that's because you're not playing the game properly. To say that it limits you is vastly inaccurate. All it does is enhance the gameplay by adding an extra element to the mix. SS had more freedom with Link's abilities than ever before. That Stamina Gauge doesn't hinder that in any way. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying it's a bad idea when it aids the gameplay is just not logical.

That's a selfish personal reason to say something shouldn't be in a series, which should never be used in a debate.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend

Good point about rolling.

Regarding the Stamina Gauge, however, it's never overly punishing and if anything contributes to the greater realism Skyward Sword has to offer. I simply don't understand the hate for it. If anything, it should be hailed for adding a new dimension to combat and puzzles along with other new factors to consider like the Shield Meter.

Nintendo used the same liberal philosophy with Stamina fruit as with Bird Statues for saving and although they are spread graciously throughout, there will be times you find yourself far from one or the other and in need of its potential immediately. Also, the Bokoblin Horde in the Sacred Grounds say No to this post for the Stamina fruit was scattered around so ingeniously to allow for a fluid escape sequence.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
How does a dungeon style overworld contribute to greater linearity? If anything it does the exact opposite with an enemy or puzzle around every nook and cranny. I'm also confused by the bolded part. sidequests and secrets naturally go hand in hand. Also, A Link to the Past proved the secrets are here to stay in the franchise with its numerous cave collectibles.

Dungeons must be solved from beginning to end (don't think physically). In order to solve a dungeon you must first execute step 1, then execute step 2 and so on... Overworlds should provide freedom so that you are allowed to do step 27 first if you see fit. Or make it so that so that you could do step 1 first, but it would be easier if you did step 2 and then step 1. If you convert an overworld into a dungeon like place, you go from "free until you get to the step by step process" to "step by step by step by step" which provides a much more narrow experience. Essentially what your asking is that two areas with separate experiences still be two areas but have the same experience. In the bold part, I was saying that I prefer an overworld like Majora's Mask in which it mainly consisted of EXTRA secrets. (My bad for not using that word).

Essentially, MM is the best way to meet half way because it had mini dungeons prior to the actual dungeon, while still giving you free roaming areas.

This I disagree with. Skyward Sword provided a more fluid and immersive storytelling experience than any previous installment. Cutscenes pulled you into the action especially those involving Ghirahim following completion of the Lanayru Mining Facility and right before Link's final confrontation with him. Also, most dialogue included pause for a player choice revolving around three usually humorous choices. The story went full circle and was a great adventure of a romance. For once in its long history, an installment answered more questions than it created.

From this, I gathered that you interpreted my comment as saying SS didn't have better story telling. That wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that while it may have better story telling, which is another argument, its style of story telling was not suited for Zelda games because of how its effecting the gameplay itself. The bolded part in your statement I disagree with, but its not what we're discussing right now.

I'm talking about upgrading Link's actual items, not getting larger quivers and bomb bags and the like.

Like the remote control bombs you get in MC? Or the fire/ice arrows in OoT that provide more damage?

I still feel that finding a way to upgrade the items by traversing the land, rather than being told directly how to do it, is more what we Zelda fans are looking for. We tend to hate being given answers.

Can't disagree more. While I do think there should be some kind of hub in the middle to explore (or something along those lines), the areas leading up to the dungeons should be puzzle-oriented. Games like MC and ALttP really benefited from this, and it's something people often ignore. It helps keep the action fluent and really builds up the anticipation of getting to the dungeon. Traveling across barren and boring terrain for about 15 minutes is, well, boring. What SS did with its overworld was not. I'm just tired of seeing fans whine and complain saying that Zelda's overworld needs to be all vast and spacious when all that does is typically create bland and uninteresting scenery.

I'm not against puzzle-oriented lands. I'm against the puzzles in that land being like dungeons in which exploration is very limited. In SS, I was dissapointed in the world because I kept feeling like all I was doing was going forward. I couldn't stop and say "oh hey, whats that over there?" too many times, because the land was centered around that almost everything was SUPPOSED to be explored. And as far as the bold statement, in any entertainment, the majority fan opinion is used to determine the formula because how humans determine if something is "good" from any art point of view is if alot of people think its good. If alot of fans are saying it, then its probably a good idea. (Though I Personally don't think baron lands are too good of an idea, but I've never seen fans say that its good)

I don't see how it could get old. Lots of things in the Zelda series have been used over and over again (such as the targeting system) and they haven't gotten old. The Stamina Gauge is something that made us plan out our moves before we executed them and prevented the spamming of the Spin Attack (something that was really easy to do in games like TP). Of course, if more parkour were to be implemented, it could get in the way of that, but I'm sure Nintendo could find away around that. They always seem to do with these sort of things.
There are alot of things that many fans complain about is overused as well. You make some good points here, but all in all I was really saying that this could go either way. I'm not against it, but if Nintendo never does it again, I won't complain.

Bosses that focus more on the combat rather than a puzzle aspect (i.e. the "stun phase" style).

Oh, well in that case, I'll say what I always say. MM had the best style of boss fights. The bosses in MM all had formulas where you had to figure out the best way to defeat and defend yourself from the boss. But the best part was, with the exception of Goht, there were multiple good ways of defeating a boss. The SS bosses were okay and really fun, but they all had singular ways of winning. Sure they were action oriented, but the fun of Zelda is figuring things out. LOTS of things, even little things like how to beat a boss. Most average games probably find this annoying, but Zelda fans tend to love it.

It really aids the combat. Not sure why you'd have a gut feeling that it wouldn't work.
Honestly, me either.

Not like it was in SS. It worked a lot like Metriod this time around. We returned to a previous area, meandered through a bit of familiar territory, and gained access to a previously blocked-off area via a newly-received item. It was really cool and gave each province great diversity.
I still don't see much of a difference only that in SS it was more "in your face" about it. And if that's the case, I wouldn't want to see that in future Zeldas porque anyway you make a player feel like his freedom is taken away is bad design for a Zelda game. We want to be free! We want to explore!

Disagree heavily. I find more story involvement to make games more immersive and interesting. I'd rather the second half of future games to feature some open choice in which dungeons can be done first, but the better storytelling should stay. It enhances the game ridiculously. To each his own, I suppose, but I just can't see why you wouldn't want a better story.

In response to the last sentence, I wasn't arguing the story (but I will gladly do so) I was arguing the storytelling. As to the rest, Zelda has done a great job thus far interesting the player with their story in the way that they told it. SS style of storytelling is forceful onto the player. While they do give you choices to speak, you feel more like a slave to SS's story than most other Zelda games. SS tells you all the important information you need to know, up close and Personal, whereas other Zelda games, you found yourself wondering if you spoke to the right Person. It goes with what I've been saying this whole reply, SS is less free and keeps you on its own path which is not good for a game series whose fans love exploration and puzzle solving.

Garo

Boy Wonder
That's a selfish personal reason to say something shouldn't be in a series, which should never be used in a debate.

That's amusing. Everything comes down to personal preference in this discussion. I prefer rolling. That's completely valid.

Regarding the Stamina Gauge, however, it's never overly punishing and if anything contributes to the greater realism Skyward Sword has to offer. I simply don't understand the hate for it. If anything, it should be hailed for adding a new dimension to combat and puzzles

It is overly punishing though. As a person who repeatedly fell off vines in Ocarina of Time due to inconsistencies with the texture and the actual climbable surface, I am incredibly precise with my vine climbing. As a result, there were several puzzles throughout the game which resulted in falling off the vines because the gauge ran out - simply by moving along the vines. No indiscriminate spin attacks, no unnecessary sprinting (I ran everywhere, actually, almost never sprinting), nothing but climbing the damn vines. Further, limitation of movement is hardly a new dimension of puzzle solving; it's an impediment. When the only entirely new feature offered by the Stamina Gauge was sprinting is a feature that I don't recall ever being used in a puzzle solution, I don't think it qualifies as "adding a new dimension to [...] puzzles".

Nintendo used the same liberal philosophy with Stamina fruit as with Bird Statues for saving and although they are spread graciously throughout, there will be times you find yourself far from one or the other and in need of its potential immediately. Also, the Bokoblin Horde in the Sacred Grounds say No to this post for the Stamina fruit was scattered around so ingeniously to allow for a fluid escape sequence.

This is a problem. Inconsistencies with placement of Stamina Fruit result in either overly punishing segments or entirely non-punishing segments. The extremes are bad, and a happy medium needs to be reached. Nintendo instead opted to either place too many, rendering the Stamina Gauge superfluous, or too few, creating an impediment.

It's not punishing you. It's making you plan out your tactics, increasing the amount of strategy in the game. If you just go in and don't pay attention to it, then you're going to pay for it, sure. But that's because you're not playing the game properly. To say that it limits you is vastly inaccurate. All it does is enhance the gameplay by adding an extra element to the mix. SS had more freedom with Link's abilities than ever before. That Stamina Gauge doesn't hinder that in any way. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying it's a bad idea when it aids the gameplay is just not logical.

As I mentioned above, it IS punishing you. "Planning out my tactics" when climbing vines is absolutely ridiculous. Further, sure, you can pay attention to it - but there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop its depletion other than to stop moving/holding onto the vines. So let's say you've got a moving block puzzle. You move a block - the meter is about to run out. Better stop and sit there while it regenerates! Isn't that engaging?

No. It interrupts puzzle solving rather than enhancing it. "Planning out tactics" translates to "stopping when it's almost depleted so you don't have to slug around for 20 seconds". That doesn't aid gameplay. It impedes it. Hence, it's a bad idea.

I could go on and on about how everything the Stamina Gauge accomplishes could be accomplished by adding a standalone sprint function and setting a timer/cooldown on a spin attack, but that's unnecessary at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom