• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Theater or Theatre: How Do You Spell It?

Which way do you spell this word?

• Theater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theatre

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinkfish11

Korean language student
Both are technically correct. Personally, I prefer theatre because it looks better on paper for me.

I've been curious about this for quite a while now. If you like, please post the reason for your choice.

Last edited:
We once should decide in school how we want to write from then on, American English or British English.
I decided I like British more, so I'm trying to use the British form of words if there is a difference.
So, I usually write theatre :)

Dan

I kind of prefer theater only because I like seeing words that are spelled how they sound.

It really depends on the place. In my opinion, if it's an auditorium of sorts where plays are acted out, I spell it as "theatre"; if it's a cinema for films, then it's a "theater". Plays and drama have been around for a really long time, so they definitely deserve to be associated with the older and classier spelling, while movies are more modern. That's how I've always looked at it.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I really don't think it matters. I am American, but I have been spelling things "favourite" "colour" "grey" "theatre" for most of my life. I really don't know why, but the words just don't feel right otherwise. I have to teach my Microsoft word spell checker every time I type on a new computer.

I really don't think it matters. I am American, but I have been spelling things "favourite" "colour" "grey" "theatre" for most of my life. I really don't know why, but the words just don't feel right otherwise. I have to teach my Microsoft word spell checker every time I type on a new computer.

You can just change the settings to "UK English"

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
It really depends on which theater/re you're talking about.

For going to movies, I spell it "Theater"

For going to plays, I spell it "Theatre".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom