• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art The Hero of Spirits

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
come on I'm in the edge of my seat! I want more moreeeee! Congrats :D I guess nothing can be said to you, you're amazing, and the way you recycle all of the Zelda elements is just, wow.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Al said:
"I didn’t kill Vaati for the people who have died. I did it for the people who would have died."

Wat?

I loved this chapter, Azure! Less Tentalus, more story and exciting events! Layla's stern, strict side still makes me angry but hey! At least she's capable of feelings xD

When will Naomi make return?

im not a big fan of fan fictions. but this one, omg!!!! i couldnt stop reading!!! this is the most amazing fan fiction ever!!!!!!! i NEED to know what happens next!! BTW im only at like chapter 9.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you so much, Vanessa, Vanitas, Chameleon, and Chosen_Hero! It means a lot! :) Alright guys, I know it's been quite a while since I posted a chapter, but I hope you enjoy this one all the same! And in answer to your question, Van, Naomi will make an appearance again soon enough. Just you wait. ;)

Don't forget to participate in The Hero of Spirits: Sign-Ups! I will need Gerudo characters very soon, so please, sign up! :)

Okay guys, enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Five

The six Zoras pushed our ship through the water with impressive speed. We were just a few leagues behind Zordo’s ship.

“How much longer until we make it to Zora Hall?” I asked Seryph.

“Not much longer now. We’re almost there!” he replied.

I peered ahead, past Zordo’s ship. I couldn’t see anything that looked like a hall, or any kind of town for that matter. I couldn’t see anything but the ocean.

Soon enough, Zordo’s ship stopped in the middle of a large reef. It was kind of like a shoal, and it only enclosed the vessel on three sides.

“We’re here!” Seryph told me.

“But... there’s nothing here.” I said, confused. “Are you sure this is the right spot?”

“Just you wait and see.” Layla said with a grin.

I merely answered “Okay...” and continued to examine the surroundings.

We came to a stop in the center of the reef that surrounded us on three sides. We were side by side with Zordo’s ship. I couldn’t spot anything anywhere around us that looked like a town. Just when I couldn’t get any more confused, the Zoras who pushed our ship here dove underwater.

“What are they doing?” I whispered to myself.

All of a sudden, the water beneath our ship started to bubble. Before I could even blink, darkness enclosed our entire vessel.

“What’s going on?!” I shouted in surprise.

Then, the next thing I knew, the darkness immediately receded , and I found myself staring at unfamiliar surroundings.

I looked around, and found that our ship, along with Zordo’s, were floating in a small pool of water surrounded by deep blue stone on all sides. There was a steel railing, and the walls behind them were colorful, like a deep-sea coral reef. I looked up, and saw what looked like the surface of a bubble, about fifty feet above our heads. It completely covered the opening in the ceiling, as if it were holding back the water above it. The coral walls had various holes in them, like houses. That’s when it hit me. We were inside Zora Hall. But how did it happen?

“Layla, what happened? How did we...” I asked.

“It was the Zora’s guardian deity, Jabun. He brought us down here.” Layla explained. “Jabun is a mystical creature who lives with the Zoras down here, beneath the waves. He lives in the pool of water directly below us, although I’ve never seen him myself.”

I looked over the edge, and tried to see to the bottom of the pool of water. It looked quite shallow at first glance, but looking at it now, I couldn’t tell if there was a bottom.

“So we’re beneath that reef we were at a second ago?” I asked.

“That’s right.” Layla confirmed.

“The only reason I was able to find this place and get help,” Zelda began, “Is because there were some Zoras standing on top of the reef when I arrived.”

“Wow.” I said quietly.

I once again examined my surroundings. It was really beautiful, but I couldn’t help but question one thing.

“How does that bubble at the top work? Wouldn’t it pop if Jabun goes to the surface to carry us down?”

“That bubble is created through the grand protection of Lord Jabun. It will never break, no matter what passes through it.” a deep voice explained.

I turned to find that Zordo had boarded our ship while Layla and I were talking.

“Now then, I hope you don’t find me rude...” he continued. “... But you all are... quite late. Would you mind hurrying up and unloading your cargo? Considering the circumstances with Tentalus, I won’t charge you for anything that happens to be broken, however I do need you to unload immediately.” Zordo said sternly.

“You heard him. Get that cargo unloaded, you maggots!” Layla shouted.

A simultaneous shout of “Yes Ma’am!” reverberated throughout the walls of Zora Hall as Layla’s crew scrambled below decks. I suddenly felt hands pressing against my back and pushing me toward the stairs leading below deck.

“You too, Alphonse! Move it!” Layla’s voice commanded from behind me as she shoved me forward.

I did as I was told and dashed below decks to help the crew gather the cargo. It was at this point I realized I didn’t even know what we were delivering.

As I reached the cargo hold, I ducked out of the way of Milkovich, who dashed out of the threshold and back above deck, carrying a large barrel. As I entered the cargo hold, I suddenly had a large barrel of my own thrust into my arms.

“You take that one, Alphonse.” Seryph, who had handed it to me rather forcefully, instructed.

Without even replying, I eagerly rushed up the steps and back above deck. I noticed that a plank had been set from the port side of the ship to an opening in the rail on the edge of the stone wall that surrounded Jabun’s pool.

After Layla yelled at me to take the barrel “over there”, I crossed the plank and took my first steps on the cold stone floor. My footsteps echoed throughout the Hall as I rushed over to where Milkovich was setting down his own barrel. After doing the same, I followed him back to the ship and below deck.

I didn’t realize it myself, but I found myself getting excited. I started to wonder if this was what it was like to have a job. Had there been no Great War, I would have been able to grow up as a normal boy, and I would have eventually gotten a job. I started to once again feel the sense of normalcy I experienced during my birthday party with Rena, Saria, Naomi and Zelda.

As I continued to help Layla’s crew unload the cargo, I felt this twisting feeling in my stomach. I was beginning to long for that sense of normalcy. For the first time, I truly started to yearn for a normal life.

About thirty minutes had passed by, and all the cargo was successfully unloaded. I collapsed down, with my back to Seryph’s, panting.

“So... What exactly were we delivering?” I asked through my attempts at catching my breath.

“Steel. The Zoras need steel for various things, like their weapons and armor. We also deliver a bunch of things like silverware. The Zoras trade in things they can’t find in the ocean, and in exchange they pay us in gold. There’s a gold deposit deep down in Jabun’s pool, and since only the Zoras are allowed to go down there, only they can get to it.”

“I see... So this job pays well, huh.”

“Yeah. We make enough to get by.”

Seryph then said softly, in a whisper, “The Zoras are kinda stingy, though, so it’s just barely enough.”

I laughed briefly and said, “Well, you don’t have to worry about my share. I don’t exactly work for you guys, so you don’t need to pay me. I carry plenty of money with me, anyway.”

“... You’re a good kid, Alphonse.” Seryph said as he patted my left shoulder and stood up.

I got up myself, and walked over to Layla, who was leaning on the railing that surrounded Jabun's pool.

“Good work, Alphonse.” Layla said as I leaned on the railing next to her. “Thank you for your help. We got done a lot faster thanks to you.”

“Don’t mention it.” I said with a smile. “So... What now?”

“What do you mean ‘What now’?” she asked.

“Are we... staying here overnight? Or what?”

“Oh. Yes, we are. We’re leaving tomorrow morning. You can stick around if you want, or you can ask the Zoras to give you a ride to your next destination. They do run a ferry service, after all.”

“Okay. But I’m still kinda worn out from the fight with Tentalus. I think I’ll stay here for the night, too. Plus, I’m interested in Zora Hall. A little sight-seeing won’t hurt.” I told her.

“Okay then. Do what you want, Alphonse.” she said as she walked off.

I watched her back as she walked away, and noticed a little apprehension.

“What’s with her all of a sudden...” I said quietly to myself.

I spent the rest of the day wandering around Zora Hall with Zelda. I explored each nook and cranny, and I was thoroughly impressed. I couldn’t imagine how much skill and time it took to carve out all of the various rooms and tunnels throughout the reef without disturbing the natural environment. Zora Hall was truly a wondrous spectacle.

Later that night, the Zoras offered me a meal of fish. When I tried it, I was really impressed with the flavor. The Zora chef would have been a great competitor for Gracia, Saria’s mother, if she were still alive. The fish was definitely not one I’d ever seen before. I guessed that it was a deep-sea fish native to this area. Whatever it was, it was really tasty.

Surprisingly, I didn’t see any of Layla’s crew around while I was eating. I figured they decided to eat in their ship. I was kind of disappointed. I had been looking forward to sharing a meal with them again.

Late that night, I left the room the Zoras had lent me, and walked around. I was unable to sleep. Zelda had been left in my room, seeing as she had already fallen fast asleep.

As I walked around aimlessly, my thoughts returned to Layla. Why did she show apprehension earlier when I was talking with her? I couldn’t figure it out. As my mind raced with these thoughts, I found myself in the area with Jabun’s pool. I walked over to the railing, and looked down.

There was a strange light coming from deep beneath the water, and it illuminated the entire room in a light blue glow. I wondered if this glow had something to do with Jabun. I looked up from the surface of the pool, and raised my head to look at the bubble at the ceiling. It was very dark, so I figured that the light from above the ocean didn’t reach down here. It was night time, so there probably wouldn't be enough light above the water right now, anyway.

I looked around some more, and then I spotted Layla standing at the railing of her ship. I crossed the plank and boarded the ship, and approached her.

She seemed to have heard my footsteps, as she quickly turned around. “... Oh, it’s you.” she said upon seeing me.

“Yeah. What’s up? You don’t look too well.” I said, noticing a sullen expression plastered to her face.

“Well, I couldn’t sleep.” she said while turning back around to lean on the railing.

I walked up next to her and asked, “Is everything alright?”

“Why wouldn’t it be.” she answered without so much as a glance in my direction.

“Because it doesn’t seem like everything’s alright. At least not with you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she snapped, looking back at me.

“You look upset. Did something happen?” I asked, without faltering at her sudden anger.

Layla calmed down, and turned her gaze to the surface of the water. “Nothing’s wrong with me.” she said quietly.

“... Layla, you’re scaring me.”

She really was. Even though I’d only known her for two days, I’d never seen her act like this before. She was clearly upset over something, and for her to act like this was unusual for her.

“So what if I am.” she retorted without looking back at me. She kept her gaze focused on the water’s surface.

I sighed before continuing. “Listen, if there’s something bothering you, I want to help. And I’m not just saying that out of a sense of duty as the Hero of Spirits, I’m saying it as your friend. Now please, tell me what’s wrong.”

“... Friend?” Layla said suddenly.

“That’s right.” I said, not seeming to understand why she repeated that word.

Layla’s face became more pained, and I suddenly felt like I crossed a line.

“Uh-um... Wait, was that presumptuous? I-I mean, I consider you my friend, but I didn’t mean to imply that... that you thought of me as a friend too... So... um...”

As my words clumsily left my mouth, Layla suddenly hugged me.

“Uhm... Uh, L-Layla? What are you...” I stuttered as my face became red.

“I’m sorry...” she said quietly. Her face was buried into my chest.

“It’s just... I knew I would never see you again after this, so I tried to avoid you... I really wanted to be friends with you. You helped me so much... For the first time, I thought ‘I really want to be friends with this guy’... But when I thought about how I’d never see such a good friend again, I got really upset... So I tried to avoid you so it wouldn’t hurt as much when you left... But I just couldn’t... I can’t help feeling sad... I don’t want you to leave my life forever, Alphonse...”

As Layla sobbed into my shirt, I couldn’t help but feel moved. She just wanted to stay friends with me. I couldn’t believe how much of an impact I’d had on her. Was I really capable of making such a huge difference in someone’s life? I couldn’t help but wonder that.

As I thought about it, I remembered Naomi. She’d fallen in love with me in just a few days. And there was also Firo, the Anouki I met in the Snow Realm. He and I became close friends in such a short amount of time, too. As I thought about this, I understood that it really was possible. The amount of time had nothing to do with it. The strength of a person’s bond isn’t affected by how much time was spent, but the quality of the time that was spent.

For Layla, who lost her father at a young age, and only had a crew of men she was supposed to intimidate and command, the idea of having a personal bond with someone must be a new experience for her. It made sense that she would be upset about never seeing the person she made her first real bond with again.

I was about to open my mouth to say something to her, but we were suddenly interrupted.

Several loud splashes echoed throughout the Hall as ten figures burst through the bubble covering the top of the cave. Layla and I jumped apart and watched with serious expressions as the figures glided down and landed gracefully on the railings surrounding Jabun’s pool.

“Who are you people?” Layla asked.

The figure directly across from us grinned wickedly as he stood to his full height. “You can call me Danyel!” he cackled. “Me and my crew here want one thing: all the gold you can give us!”

“Gold?” I asked, surprised.

“That’s right! We know about the gold deposit down here! You’d better give us everything you can, unless you want to get hurt!” he screeched joyfully.

“Alphonse, these guys are pirates.” Layla whispered to me.

“In that case, we can’t let them hurt anyone or take anything.” I said as I drew the Lokomo Sword from its scabbard strapped to my back.

“Damn right.” Layla said as she rushed into her cabin to grab her lance.

“So you want to get hurt after all... In that case, I’ll be happy to oblige you!” Danyel laughed wildly.

The sinister laughter of Danyel and his pirates resounded throughout the room as they all drew their swords. As Layla returned, I said, “Are you ready?”

“Yeah. Let’s take these guys down, Alphonse.” Layla nodded.

I was impressed with how well she was able to adapt to the situation, considering her emotional state just before this happened. However, I pushed such thoughts out of my mind. It was time to fight.

“I’ll take Danyel and half the crew.” I said.

“Then I’ll get the other five.” Layla responded.

Layla took off from the ship, dashing across the plank to meet two of the pirates in combat. She swung her lance expertly, and knocked one of the pirate’s weapons from his hands almost immediately. As the shocked pirate doubled back, Layla swung her lance viciously, connecting with the man’s right side. The pirate was instantly knocked through the air and rammed against the coral wall with a loud thud.

Layla quickly turned around and parried the other pirate’s sword slash with ease. As the pirate attempted to attack again, Layla elegantly dodged the strike and maneuvered behind him. She smacked the lance against the left side of his skull hard, and he was knocked unconscious.

Two more pirates tried to gang up on Layla from both sides, but she spun her lance around like a whirlwind, taking them both down effortlessly. The fifth pirate leapt through the air at Layla, but she swiftly swung her lance towards him. The steel edge of the lance connected with the pirate’s torso in mid-air, forcing the man against the coral wall with a lot of force.

Layla, having finished her battles, turned to watch me fight.

I kicked off the ship’s railing hard, and as I did, I focused the Spirits’ magic in the soles of my feet. This power propelled me across the distance with lightning-fast speed. As I soared across the gap, I swung my sword. It came in contact with another pirate’s blade, who had just barely managed to get into a guarding position as I leapt at him. The force from my impact sent him crashing into the coral wall, and he fell to the floor in an unconscious state.

The other pirates stared at me in amazement, but soon recovered and leapt at me. The first one I took down while he was still in the air. I jumped and struck him with a half-spinning blow. He was sent reeling into the wall. As I landed, the next pirate was upon me. He took advantage of the fact that I couldn’t immediately react while landing to tried and attack me. However, as soon as I landed, I kicked down on the ground hard, and the magic concentrated in my feet propelled me to the right faster than the blink of an eye.

I seemed to have overshot it, as I nearly hit the far wall. As I was grumbling to myself about how I still needed more practice with this new technique, the pirates all stared at me in shock. I took advantage of their confused state and kicked off the ground again. My sudden high-speed attack caught them off-guard, and I took down two of them at once with a deftly delivered sword strike. Now, all that’s left was their leader, Danyel.

“You move quite well, kid. I’m impressed, really I am. You should come work for me.” he rasped.

“Piss off.” I spat.

“Heh... Didn’t think so. How unfortunate for you...” he replied coldly.

Danyel lunged at me with his longsword, swinging wildly but precisely. I was able to read his movements, ducking and dodging past each slice. I kicked the ground hard, and found myself on the other side of my attacker. Just as Danyel noticed I was no longer in front of him, he turned around to look for me. But I was way ahead of him.

The second my feet touched the ground, I kicked down again, and I shot towards my foe with an unbelievable speed. As I swung my sword with an incredible amount of force and momentum, Danyel somehow managed to guard. However, what happened next truly shocked me.

Despite all of the force and momentum my strike had been carrying, the impact barely caused Danyel to budge.

He stared at me over his blade, grinning menacingly. He suddenly shoved forward, and I was pushed back surprisingly easily. I didn’t expect Danyel to have so much physical strength. I was caught off-guard, and was knocked back. I slipped on a small puddle on the stone floor and fell. Danyel didn’t miss a beat as he mercilessly swung his longsword down through the air.

As his blade closed in on me, it was intercepted by another weapon. Standing between me and Danyel was Layla, who was desperately trying to hold him back. However, Danyel’s overwhelming physical prowess was taking its toll on Layla, who could barely remain standing under such weight. I quickly made the most of this opportunity. While neither Danyel nor Layla could move, I quickly wrapped my left arm around Layla’s waist and kicked off the ground.

As Danyel’s longsword smashed into the stone floor, splitting the ground with a loud boom, I successfully managed to get Layla out of the way unharmed. We ended up back on the deck of her ship.

“You okay?” I asked her.

“Y-Yeah... Thanks, Alphonse...” she said in a shaky voice. “That guy’s strength is phenomenal...” she muttered.

I found myself feeling the same way. Danyel was definitely in command of a lot of physical power. This wasn’t going to be easy.

Without waiting for Layla, I quickly leapt back across the gap to meet Danyel in combat again. As I did this, I filled the Lokomo Sword with magic power. As the sword’s blade glowed a brilliant azure blue, Danyel stopped in his tracks.

I took advantage of his confusion and swung my sword with all my might, letting loose the pent-up magic power. My blade connected with Danyel’s in a brilliant array of sparks as the aura ripped through the air at Danyel’s body. Once all had settled, however, I once again wound up being shocked.

Danyel, who had taken the brunt of my strike, was only pushed back a few feet.

“What the...” I let out in surprise. I stood gaping at Danyel, who didn’t seem to be in much pain.

“That light...” he said suddenly. “You must be Alphonse, the Hero of Spirits.” As Danyel grinned wickedly, a few gold teeth flashed in his jaw. “I’ve heard many things about you. To think I’d actually get the honor of fighting you myself! Now I can finally test out this sword’s true potential!” he cackled.

“What do you mean ‘this sword’s true potential’?” I asked warily.

Continuing to grin, he said, “I bought this sword from a black market broker. This was forged in the Mystic Realm, the world of the Demons! It has a special property that negates all magic power, including that of the Spirits of Light!

I gasped in pure astonishment. “Negates all magic power? Is that even possible?!”

“It is! It’s made from a metal that naturally has anti-magic properties! It only exists in the Mystic Realm, so I paid a pretty penny for this baby. Looks like it was worth the coin!” Danyel yelled in excitement. As he laid the end of the blade in the palm of his left hand, he said with a wicked laugh,

“This sword is your bane, Hero of Spirits!”​

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Two more pirates tried to gang up on Layla from both sides, but she spun her lance around like a whirlwind, taking them both down effortlessly. The fifth pirate leapt through the air at Layla, but she swiftly she swung her lance towards him. The steel edge of the lance connected with the pirate’s torso in mid-air, forcing the man against the coral wall with a lot of force.
Just a minor typo ;)

It really gets good now Azure! The whole scenery with the bubble and the Light and jabun and Zora hall makes me think of a painting. What an artwork that would be :D Whoa Danyell is tricky!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
sexysexysexymegustamegustamegusta

Seriously, I loved this chapter. Still made me angry to see Layla's stupid "stern" side or whatever you call it, but it works out in the end! Oh, and this Danyel character sounds like he has a toy of sorts, as if he were fooled into going on the Demon's side or w/e. Can't wait to read more of his origins and what not! =)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you both so much! Alright guys, it's time for chapter twenty-six! I hope you all enjoy this one! Be sure to tell me what you think! :) Also, Chilfo Freeze and Terminus, your characters make an appearance in this chapter! ;)

Be sure to participate in The Hero of Spirits: Sign-Ups! I can't write the next chapter until I get more Gerudo characters, so please sign up!

Alright, enjoy the chapter!

I stood frozen in disbelief. A sword that can negate magic power? Such a thing actually existed? As I pondered this thought, I remembered my fight with Ghirahim in the oil mines. He was able to stop my burst of magic with two fingers. If it was something from his world, then maybe it wasn't so far fetched.

I gulped nervously, and prepared myself to fight. Danyel stood across from me grinning wickedly. I took a deep breath, and exhaled.

- If that’s the case, then I’ll do it without the powers of the Spirits.

Chapter Twenty-Six

I rushed at Danyel and swung my sword. He easily parried and returned a strike of his own. I dodged and continued to attack. We exchanged blows at close range over and over again. If I couldn’t beat him with the powers of the Spirits, then I’d have to beat him with my own skills as a swordsman.

Danyel swung his longsword in an uppercut motion. He managed to knock my sword up, creating an opening. As he thrust his blade forward in a stabbing motion, I kicked down on the ground. The magic focused in the soles of my feet propelled me in the air, out of the reach of Danyel’s attack. I did a backflip through the air and landed several feet away from him.

The second the heels of my shoes touched the cold stone floor, I shot forward and slashed with all my might. Our swords met in a flurry of sparks. But I didn’t stop there. The second our blades connected, I quickly maneuvered behind him and swung again. He managed to parry behind his back, and I zipped back in front of him as he was turning around.

I kept up this pattern of moving back and forth from his blind spot, attacking again and again. At last, I managed to graze him. Danyel quickly jumped away from me, but I wasn’t going to let him get away. I shot forward again with a slight spin, and managed to knock his sword back. Without missing a beat, I thrust my blade towards him.

- Got him.

However, Danyel quickly drew a small knife that had been concealed at his waist, and managed to parry my blow.

“Damn.” I breathed.

The force from my strike knocked the knife from his hand, eliminating the chance of him trying that again. However, while my blow was parried, he was in a perfect position to attack. But just as he tried, Layla jumped in.

She swung her lance with full force, and Danyel backed off. Layla and I stood side by side with our weapons at the ready.

“This guy is a real pain.” I moaned.

“Yeah. We’ll need to work together.” she said.

“In that case, can you stop the movements of his sword? I’ll only need a second.” I asked.

“Okay. Leave it to me.” she nodded.

With that, we set our plan into motion. Layla rushed at Danyel, who was directly across from us. She attacked with a powerful strike of her lance, but Danyel effortlessly blocked it. The two exchanged a few more blows, and eventually locked their weapons. This was the chance I was waiting for.

I kicked down on the ground hard, and leapt through the air past both of them. My feet touched down on the steel handrail at the edge of the stone floor, and as my boots came in contact with the cold metal, I kicked off again, flying towards Danyel’s open back. While Danyel’s weapon was locked with Layla’s, my plan was to attack his blind spot while he couldn’t defend.

Danyel suddenly raised his left leg behind himself and kicked me in the stomach just as I closed in on him. The force created from my own momentum knocked the wind out of me. I was knocked through the air and over the railing. I fell into Jabun’s pool and sank down beneath the water, stunned by Danyel’s kick.

“Alphonse!” Layla cried out in panic.

She tried to push Danyel away from her so she could come to my rescue. However, Danyel wouldn’t let her, and he pushed down with his full weight, grinning as he was pinning Layla to the ground.

My motionless body slowly floated down Jabun’s pool. Having had the wind knocked out of me, I didn’t get the chance to take a breath before I fell in. The lack of oxygen in my lungs caused me to fall into a daze.

As I slowly floated down, unable to move, still clutching the Lokomo Sword in my right hand, I noticed something out of the corner of my half-closed eye. It was a bright light.

“Damn it... Get off me!” Layla cried.

Danyel did not let up, and instead began laughing in a twisted manner.

As he continued to force Layla down, he said, “That boy went down rather easily. And here I was hoping to test out the abilities of this sword some more. Heh. Some hero he was.”

Something seemed to snap within Layla. “You... How dare you talk like that... about Alphonse...!” She suddenly felt a new strength welling up in her arms as she pushed against Danyel’s weight with all her might. “Alphonse is an incredible person! He saved my life, as well as the lives of my entire crew. You have no idea how much he’s helped me! Alphonse is a hero!” she screamed.

Finally, she managed to force Danyel back a little. A look of surprise flashed across his face. “Where is she getting this strength...” he muttered.

Layla’s strong feelings were giving her power. She pushed with all her might, and finally managed to slip out from under Danyel’s blade. Layla quickly rolled away and sprang up to her feet as Danyel’s sword slammed into the ground with a loud bang.

As Layla stood a few feet away, panting, she said, “You don’t know anything about Alphonse. You think he went down easily? Don’t make me laugh. There’s no way Alphonse would die from this!"

“Is that right.” Danyel said.

Beneath the waters of Jabun’s pool, I began to feel an otherworldly warmth envelop my body. Before long, I began to hear a deep voice echo throughout my mind.

“Young Hero of Spirits...” it called out.

“Who... Who are you?” I answered within my mind.

“I am the guardian deity of the Zoras. Jabun.” it replied.

“You’re Jabun?” I said in surprise. “Then please listen. A pirate named Danyel is trying to disturb your home. Even with Layla’s help, I can’t beat him. Please... Lend me your strength.” I pleaded.

“... Very well. I shall aid you in the protection of my home.”

The warmth spread across my entire being, and my body drifted into an upright position. Within the darkness, a brilliant blue light shone forth. The blue light was in the shape of a large bulb, and was attached to a single black antenna. I followed this antenna with my eyes to its source, and before me appeared the blue-black face of an enormous angler fish. Its deep white eyes stood out amongst its dark-colored scales. Its orange lips spread across its face emotionlessly. It had several strange patterns, also in orange, tattooed on its forehead, around the stalk of the lantern-like antenna. This was Jabun.

The deity nodded once at me, and I nodded back. The being drifted the top of its head below my feet, and sprung up. As I stood atop its head, Jabun lifted me to the surface of the water.

Layla continued to struggle in her fight with Danyel. He continued to send blow after blow in her direction, and each of Layla’s parries pushed her back further. Soon enough, she was backed against the coral wall. Unable to react right away, Danyel sent his blade howling through the air towards her. Layla squeezed her eyes shut and waited for everything to end.

A sharp metallic sound rang out through her ears, and Layla quickly opened her eyes. Standing between her and Danyel, holding off the malicious pirate’s blade with a sturdy spear, was a female Zora warrior clad in armor. This Zora woman was someone Layla met on various occasions while delivering goods to Zora Hall.

“You’re... Aquarta!” Layla said in astonishment.

The rather pretty Zora warrior looked back at her and flashed an encouraging smile. Aquarta then turned her gaze back at Danyel and pushed as hard as she could. Unfortunately, she couldn’t make Danyel budge. His physical strength was too overwhelming. Soon enough, he had Aquarta pinned on top of Layla against the wall. However, this wasn’t it for them.

A long and thin sword shot out from the right and forced Danyel to back away. As Layla and Aquarta looked to the source of the attack, their eyes came upon another Zora warrior. Layla knew him too. He was one of the ones who helped push her ship to Zora Hall yesterday morning. His name was Fynn.

Danyel grumbled in annoyance, and was about to attack Fynn when he heard footsteps rushing him from behind. Danyel quickly turned around and parried the incoming spear attack. This new weapon was held by Zordo. Danyel quickly backed off, avoiding another swipe from Fynn’s sword and then a jab from Aquarta’s spear. He was backed against the railing now. A look of anger quickly absorbed his face.

“We came when we heard the commotion.” Aquarta told Layla.

“I’m glad we made it in time.” Fynn added.

“We value you and your crew as customers and friends. Let us handle this one.” Zordo said confidently.

Layla sat leaning her back against the cold surface of the coral wall, panting. She let out a small laugh of relief and nodded.

The three Zora warriors inched closer to Danyel, who was cornered at the railing. He angrily tightened his grip on the hilt of his sword, and prepared to attack. However, the water in Jabun’s pool behind him suddenly began to rumble with sound and light.

Standing atop Jabun’s head, I was rushed to the surface of the water. We surfaced with incredible force, right between Zordo’s ferry and Layla’s ship. Jabun was far bigger than both vessels, and almost took up the entire expanse of the pool. However, his body seemed to pass through the two ships, as if he was nothing more than an astral body. This almost made me doubt he was real, however, the warmth I felt overflowing from his dark scales cleared all doubts.

Jabun towered high, almost thirty feet in the air. We were almost as high as the bubble at the top of the Hall that kept the seawater out. I looked down and saw Layla leaning against the wall in front of us. Three Zora warriors were standing in front of her. I recognized one of them as Zordo, but I didn’t know the other two. The three Zoras had backed Danyel up against the railing. However, none of them were fighting anymore.

Layla looked up at Jabun in astonishment, and then noticed me on top of his head. “Alphonse!” she called out.

The three Zoras stared up at Jabun in shock, and quickly dropped to one knee in a bowing position. Danyel, who was facing us, stared up at the benevolent behemoth, his body trembling in a fit of enraged fright.

Jabun bellowed fiercely, his deep voice resounding throughout the Hall like a golden bell. His jaw hung open, and he lunged his head towards Danyel.

Danyel let out a fearful scream, and swung his sword in a last desperate attempt. The wicked pirate’s body was enveloped within Jabun’s maw, and the existence known as Danyel was no more. I hopped down from Jabun’s head to where Danyel once stood. Jabun then swept his spectral body around the Hall like a broom, encompassing the nine unconscious bodies of the pirates. Their existences were wiped from the face of this world like dust from a floor.

Jabun lowered to my eye level as I stood facing him in front of the railing. Still clutching the Lokomo Sword, I held it up in front of me, parallel to my body. I gave a deep bow of thanks, and Jabun let out his golden bell-like voice once more. It echoed throughout the hall as Jabun vanished beneath the waters of his pool.

I sheathed my sword and turned around to see the three Zora warriors gaping at me in utter amazement. I looked past them to see Layla leaning her back on the coral wall. She watched me with a soft smile. I grinned back at her and let out a small laugh.

The restful night seemed to wash away the happenings of last night, and I awoke from my sleep feeling refreshed. I looked around the small room the Zoras had lent me, and then looked down at Zelda, who was still asleep on my pillow. She had slept through the entire incident last night, so I figured I should probably tell her what happened when she wakes up. I then looked to my left, and nearly jumped out of my skin.

Layla was sound asleep on the floor next to me.

I stared down at her sleeping figure with my jaw hanging to the floor in pure astonishment.

- What the heck is she doing here?! Did she crawl into bed with me last night?

As I looked down at her sleeping face, I couldn't bring myself to feel angry with her. She looked like a child, the way she was curled up on the floor next to me. She was actually... kind of cute.

I guessed that maybe she didn’t want to be alone, after what happened with Danyel and the pirates. There was also the factor of her emotional breakdown prior to the fight. However, I could only speculate.

As my head swam with all these different thoughts, a small and cute sounded escaped Layla’s lips. She tiredly raised herself up with her wobbly arms. Her slightly disheveled hair hung down messily. She looked to her left and right with half-closed eyes, and then centered her gaze.

I just stared back at her blankly. She suddenly perked up, and realized her current situation. Her cheeks filled up with color.

“Uhm... Uh... Uhhh...” she began to stutter.

The only thing I could say was, “Morning Cap'n.”

Nothing happened for a few seconds.

THWACK!

The loud sound of her fist hitting my skull echoed throughout the room. The sound even woke up Zelda.

“Hmmngh... Wha... What’s happenin...” she yawned drowsily.

Zelda examined the scene before her. I was crouching on the floor clutching my head in pain as a red-faced Layla kneeled in front of me.

“Um...” Zelda said blankly.

“Owowowowowowwwww...” I groaned. I suddenly felt myself welling up with frustration. “What the hell did you do that for?!” I yelled. “You were the one who snuck into my room!”

“Y-y-yeah, well, I was supposed to wake up before you! It’s your own fault for waking up first!” she answered.

- So she planned to sleep beside me and then leave before I woke up, to escape the embarrassment of me seeing her like this... Still, for her to blame this failed plan of hers on me is really childish.

“What kind of logic is that?! I can’t help it if I wake up first!” I snapped.

As we continued to argue back and forth like children, Zelda suddenly burst into laughter. Watching her tiny glowing body shake with joy seemed to calm the mood. Layla and I looked at each other, feeling pretty embarrassed.

During breakfast, I sat next to Layla in the Zora’s mess hall. This time, Layla’s crew was present for the meal. I still had a headache from when Layla hit me earlier, but the pain was pretty much gone.

As we ate, Layla and I told everyone about what transpired last night.

“I can’t believe we didn’t wake up during all that commotion.” Milkovich said.

“Hey, Captain...” Seryph began. “What were you doing with Alphonse before those guys showed up?” he asked with a smirk.

It was very obvious what he was implying. Layla’s face started to redden, and she shouted “It’s nothing like that, you moron!” and thwacked him on the head harder than she had hit me. Plenty of laughs resounded throughout the mess hall. Breakfast continued with lots of laughter and stories.

After everyone was finished eating, Layla’s crew returned to their ship. Layla and I waited by the railing.

“So, this is goodbye, huh.” I said.

“... I guess so.” Layla sighed.

I noticed she was still upset about us parting ways, so I tried to cheer her up. “You know... This isn’t goodbye forever.” Layla looked up at me. “We’ll meet again someday. I promise.” I said, showing off a warm smile.

Layla gave a smile of her own, and said, “Yeah... This isn’t goodbye for good, after all...” She suddenly perked up. “Hey, I know the Zoras were going to give you and Zelda a ride to the Desert Realm, but... How about we take you there instead? It’s the least we can do to repay you for saving us.”

I took a few moments to think about it. I honestly didn’t need them to repay me, however I realized that Layla probably just wanted a reason to prolong our time together. I didn’t want to deny her this, so I agreed.

After we said our goodbyes and thanks to the Zoras, Zelda and I boarded Layla’s ship. Soon enough, the water in Jabun’s pool began to bubble, and darkness enclosed the vessel. Before long, that darkness receded, and we found ourselves floating in the center of the three-sided reef on the surface of the ocean once again.

I looked up at the bright blue morning sky, feeling like it’d been forever since I’ve seen it. I looked around, and noticed a small vessel not far off. It looked abandoned. I figured this was the ship Danyel and his pirate crew used to get here.

“All right, you maggots! Set sail! Our destination is the border of the Desert Realm!” Layla called out.

The familiar simultaneous reply of the entire crew swept over the vessel, and the ship began to move. I stood at the starboard railing, thinking to myself about how happy Jasson must be about the engine finally being repaired.

The ship chugged along smoothly to the north. Layla surprisingly didn’t issue any commands to me this time, so I was actually able to enjoy the ride. I looked ahead to see a sandy-brown landscape entering the peripherals of my vision.

It wasn’t long before we reached it. The ship came to a stop with its starboard side parallel to the coastline. The sandy ground stretched endlessly to the horizon. There was nothing but desert sand and a few cacti here and there. The dunes seemed to stretch to the sky in places, and the sandy landscape seemed to steam from the sunlight flowing down from the heavens. It was a simple sight, yet the simplicity was beautiful.

“Well, this is goodbye. Thank you for everything.” I said, turning around to face the entire crew who had come up to the deck to see me off.

“Goodbye Alphonse. Thanks for all you’ve done.” Seryph said.

“I’ll miss you, fairy girl!” Milkovich said in a whiny voice.

“I’ll miss you too, Milkovich!” Zelda said in an equally whiny voice.

Layla walked up to me and extended her hand. “Goodbye, Alphonse. Take care of yourself.”

I shook her hand and said, “You too.”

With that, I turned around, hopped up on top of the handrail, and leapt off. Zelda followed me down. I landed on the shoreline. My feet hit the sandy ground and skidded a bit.

Layla watched me from the deck with a sad expression on her face. She let out a small sigh, and turned around. The whole crew was smiling at her.

“Wha... What are you all looking at?” Layla asked.

“It’s okay, Layla.” Seryph said. “Go on.”

“G-go on? What are you talking about?” she asked.

“Go with Alphonse. It’s okay. We all understand.” he replied.

“Wha-what?! Me... go with him? Why would...” she began.

Seryph calmly shook his head. “It’ll be okay. This is what you want, isn’t it?”

Layla didn’t answer him right away.

“Don’t worry about us. We’ll manage fine without you. And besides... Your father... Captain Linebeck would be proud of you.” Seryph said.

She looked at Seryph, and the encouraging faces of her crew. She turned around, and was surprised to see me standing on the sand down below, looking up at her, giving her the same encouraging smile.

“You want to come with us, don’t you?” Zelda said.

“Then let’s go!” I said.

Layla took one last look at her crew, and as she did, Seryph tossed her her lance. Layla caught it, and looked at it for several seconds. She looked back up at her crew, and nodded at them in understanding.

“Then... Then I’ll leave the ship in your care, Seryph.” she said.

“Ma’am!” he responded, saluting her.

The rest of the crew gave the same salute, and Layla strapped the lance to her back. She leapt up on the handrail, and after looking back at her crew once more, jumped off the ship to join me on the ground.

See looked at Zelda and me for a few seconds before saying, “D-don’t get the wrong idea here. I... I’m not coming with you because I like you or anything...” she said with blushing cheeks as she cocked her head to her right.

Both me and Zelda laughed and said, “Welcome to the family, Layla!”

She seemed shocked at first, but she soon smiled widely and nodded happily.

The three of us turned and faced the ship. We waved goodbye to the crew as the ship let out the sound of a foghorn and pulled away from the shore.

And now, here we were in the Desert Realm. A new adventure was beginning, and this time Zelda and I had a new companion.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Danyel sure was made out to be more than he really is. Disappointing end to a disappointing character. Oh well, I guess he'll have to make way for the backwash. DX

UNWELCOME LAYLA TO THE PARTY.

This was a great chapter all in all, maybe a bit too long for something that lasted ever so short, but I still loved it.

"I feel into Jabun’s pool" FEEL.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you both, Vanitas and Vanessa! Alright guys, it's time for the next chapter! I really hope you enjoy this one! Please tell me what you think! :)

At this point in time, I no longer need you guys to participate in my sign-ups. I will need new characters eventually, but not just yet. I'll make a new post on my sign-ups thread when I get to that point.

Okay, enjoy the chapter!

Chapter Twenty-Seven

“Come on, Layla! Keep up!” I called out.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” she answered back.

I was standing atop a large dune. My footprints in the sand trailed up its height, and Layla was hurriedly following them up the dune after me. It had only been about twenty minutes since we started our journey in the Desert Realm.

“Wow~...” I whistled as I gazed out at the expanse of sand before me. “It just seems to go on forever...”

The Desert Realm may be the smallest region in the country of Hyleigh, but that didn’t mean it was a small realm. The desert was still very big.

Layla finally reached Zelda and I at the top of the dune. “Thanks for waiting...” she said, out of breath. “Man, this sand is kind of hard to walk in...”

“Yeah, a bit.” I said nonchalantly.

“So... where exactly are we headed?” Layla asked.

“What?” I answered.

“Where is our destination?” she repeated.

Zelda and I looked at each other, and looked back at Layla. “We don’t have one.” we said in unison.

Layla was taken aback. “Wha... What?! You mean... You don’t know where you’re going?!”

“Nope.” I said.

“The... Then... Then how...” she began. She seemed too shocked to speak properly.

“Normally...”, Zelda began, “... We just start walking...”

“... And eventually we get somewhere.” I finished.

I turned away from her and and placed a cupped hand at my brow, shading my eyes. “It doesn’t look like there’s anything around here...” I said, looking off into the distance. “But, I’m sure we’ll find something eventually...”

My voice trailed off as I turned back to face Layla. She looked like her soul left her body as she stared at Zelda and I with the most dumbstruck expression I’d ever seen a human being pull off.

“Layla? What’s wrong?”

About half an hour had passed. We’d been walking the entire time, but we didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. At this point, we could no longer see the coastline behind us, and every direction boasted nothing but more sand and cacti.

I walked in front, marching along. Zelda floated to my left. Layla dragged her feet and walked like a zombie behind me. I guess she was still in shock over the way we travel. But I didn’t really mind that much.

“Hey, Alphonse. I’m getting a little thirsty. Have you got anything to drink”? Layla’s voice asked from behind me.

“Nope. But we can find something.” I answered.

Before Layla could berate me for being stupid enough to cross a desert with no water, I quickly strode over to a large cactus, drew my sword, and sliced a piece clean off.

I caught it in my left hand, taking care not to prick myself. Just as I suspected, there was water trapped inside the cactus.

“You see?” I said, presenting it to Layla. “The desert has plenty of water for us!”

“Huh... You’re surprisingly resourceful.” Layla said admiringly as she took the makeshift cactus cup from me. “Is... Is this safe to drink?” she asked.

“I have no idea. Let’s find out.” I said as I cut off another slice for myself.

Without waiting for Layla to say something back, I sheathed my sword, put the cactus cup to my lips and took a sip of the liquid it held. I gulped it down, and let out a satisfied breath.

“... Well?” Layla asked.

I stood still for several seconds. I then dropped the cactus cup to the ground and clutched my stomach, moaning in pain.

“Alphonse! Oh no...” Layla panicked. “What do we do?”

As I bent over, clutching my stomach moaning, Layla hovered over me with a terrified expression. Suddenly, my moaning turned into laughter. I was no longer clutching my stomach from pain, I was clutching it from laughing.

“Ha ha ha ha... You should’ve seen the look on your face!” I cackled.

Layla looked dumbfounded. “Ah...”

“Relax...” I said between laughs. “I was only kidding!”

“Alphonse... That’s just like you.” Zelda said with a sigh.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist.” I said, shaking off the last of my laughter.

Layla didn’t seem amused. “Alphonse...” she growled.

“Eh... Layla? Hold on... Wait...” I said nervously, quickly realizing the grave mistake I’d made.

THWACK!

About an hour had passed. Layla still hadn’t said a word to me.

“Layla... I’m sorry...” I apologized once more. I’d lost track of how many times that made.

She didn’t answer. She kept strutting on ahead of me with her arms crossed and her back to me.

“Layla... I’m sorry... It was just a joke. I didn’t think you’d take it so seriously...” I said.

She suddenly stopped. She turned on her heel and glared at me. Surprisingly, she had tears in her eyes.

“I know you were only joking... But... I was really worried about you, you know... Don’t... Don’t scare me like that again.” she said softly.

“Layla... I’m sorry.” I said, scratching the back of my head.

“Geez, Alphonse, you really have no tact whatsoever.” Zelda teased.

“Hey!” I snapped. “If I have no tact, then just how do I have a girlfriend? Huh?”

“Relax, I was kidding!” Zelda said with a chuckle.

“Girlfriend?” Layla said.

“Yeah. Her name is Naomi. Maybe you can meet her sometime.” I answered.

Layla didn’t answer right away.

“Um. Layla?” I said.

Suddenly Layla burst into laughter.

“A ha ha ha hah... A girlfriend? You? That’s just too rich...” she howled with laughter as she clutched her sides.

“H-hey! What’s that supposed to mean?!” I said unhappily. My cheeks were red with embarrassment.

“I... I’m sorry... I just didn’t see that coming is all...” Layla laughed. She tried to calm herself down, but it didn’t look like she could. “It’s... It’s just you’re so...”

“So what?” I asked, still feeling embarrassed.

“You’re so... You’re just so weird!” she finally managed to get out between laughs.

“...” I didn’t answer.

“... She has a point, Alphonse.” Zelda agreed.

Layla finally calmed down and wiped a tear from her eye. “Sorry. I just... I just couldn’t believe it.”

I cocked my head to the left, still feeling really embarrassed. But that all soon faded. As I looked to the left, I noticed that several yards away was a strange looking lizard creature crawling through the sand.

It looked like it was pretty big. Its scales were green, with a few black stripes along its back. Its long tail danced through the sand as it crawled along on all fours. It had a big frill around its neck too.

The lizard turned its head to its right, and looked me dead in the eyes. I stared back. Suddenly I felt my stomach rumble, and my mouth started watering.

“Hey guys, look...” I said without taking my eyes off the lizard.

Layla and Zelda followed my gaze and saw the lizard. “Ew... What is that thing?” Layla cringed.

“FOOD!” I shouted excitedly as I kicked off the ground and blasted toward it with my sword drawn.

The lizard seemed to sense my hunger, as it let out a yelp and quickly turned around. It got up on its hind legs and dashed off.

“Get back here!” I shouted as I chased after it like a wild man.

Layla and Zelda were left in the dust. They both watched me chase it down with stupefied looks.

“Well, that moment just died.” Layla said.

“That’s Alphonse for you.” Zelda said.

“How do you travel with this guy?” Layla asked Zelda.

“Alphonse may be kind of a weirdo, but he’s a reliable person.” Zelda answered. “He’s a great friend, and honestly, I wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for him...”

“I see. So you’re another one he’s saved, huh? When did you two start traveling together?” she asked.

“It's getting pretty close to four years, by now. He saved me from a gang of Stalchildren in the woods in the Forest Realm.”

“I see.”

“Alphonse may have this weird personality, but give it some time.” Zelda continued. “Before you know it, you’ll find this side of him to be pretty fun!”

“Fun, huh...” Layla said quietly.

I returned to where Zelda and Layla were, dragging the corpse of the defeated lizard, grinning widely.

“I caught lunch!” I said cheerfully.

“You expect me to eat that?!” Layla gasped.

“Well, not raw, of course.” I replied.

“... Even so, how are we gonna cook it?” she asked.

“That’s right, Alphonse. We don’t have any wood.” Zelda added.

“We won’t need wood.” I told her.

“Huh?” Zelda asked.

I walked over to another cactus, and chopped it down. “Layla, could you go gather a few more of these?” I asked her.

“What for?” she asked, confused.

“Cacti aren’t exactly made of wood, but they’re still plants. So, they should still be able to burn! I’m not really sure if they’d make a good fire, though.” I said.

“... You really are resourceful.” Layla said as she walked off to gather more cacti.

A few more hours had passed. My idea to use cacti to start a fire actually worked, however it took several more of them to keep the fire going than I anticipated. Nevertheless, we still managed to start a fire and cook the lizard properly. It was actually quite tasty.

Now that we were filled up, we had the energy to keep going. We still hadn't found any villages yet, though. I knew that there was a city in the Desert Realm somewhere, but I didn’t know where it was.

This city was home to the Gerudo people, a race of women who live in the Desert Realm. I’d heard they’re very hospitable and have a business in providing rest for travelers. However, we hadn't met any of them yet.

“It’s starting to get late...” Zelda observed.

I looked up, and the sky was turning from blue to orange.

“Maybe we should find a place to camp for the night.” Layla suggested.

“Good idea.” I said.

I ran to the top of a nearby dune and surveyed the area. I looked for something that we could use for shelter, but I couldn’t spot anything. There was nothing but sand and cacti.

As I strained my eyes and scoured the horizon, I spotted several silhouettes in motion a couple hundred feet away.

“Hey guys! I see people in the distance!” I called out.

“Really?!” Layla exclaimed as she ran up to join me.

She too strained her eyes and looked in the direction I was pointing. Soon enough, she spotted them too.

“You’re right!” she said excitedly.

“Maybe they’re Gerudos!” Zelda inquired.

“Yeah, maybe!” I said. “HEY!” I shouted as loud as I possibly could. “OVER HERE~!”

Nothing.

“I don’t think they can hear us.” Zelda said.

“They must be too far away.” Layla added.

It didn’t seem like any more shouting would do any good. There were no hard surfaces out here to reflect sound, so it made sense that my voice wouldn’t be able to travel very far.

“At this rate, we’ll lose them...” Layla moaned.

“Not if I can help it. Wait here.” I instructed.

“Huh? What are you-”

I didn’t hear the rest of what Layla said as I kicked down on the ground hard and shot forward.

I dashed through the sand, propelling myself forward with each step. I reached the silhouettes in no time at all.

I skidded to a stop in front of them, kicking up a lot of sand.

“Cough cough... Ugh...” I coughed as I waved away the dust.

I found myself standing before three Gerudo women and a couple of horses. They were staring at me with shocked expressions.

“Hi. Me and my friends are lost. Do you think you could help us out?” I asked, ignoring their stares.

The three Gerudo women each looked at each other, and shrugged.

“Where are your friends?” one of them asked.

“This way.” I said, leading them in the direction of Layla and Zelda.

After a lot of walking, we finally reached the two of them.

“Thanks for leaving us behind.” Layla pouted with her arms crossed.

“Sorry. It was the only way I could think to catch up with them.” I apologized. I turned to face the three Gerudos. “These are my friends, Zelda and Layla. My name is Alphonse.” I introduced.

The three women perked up. “Alphonse...” one of them said. “You wouldn’t happen to be that Alphonse? The Hero of Spirits?”

“That’s me.” I answered.

The three looked at each other with amazed expressions, and then quickly dropped to a bow.

“It is an honor to be in your presence, Great Hero.” she said respectfully.

“Uh... Thanks... But you don’t have to act so formal...” I said, kind of feeling embarrassed.

“Understood. May we just call you “Alphonse”, then?” she asked.

“Of course.” I nodded.

“Very well. My name is Taylor, and these two are Marluxia and Larxene.” she introduced. “You said you were lost, correct? We’d be honored to have you and your friends stay with us in our city.”

“Really? Thanks! That’d be great!” I said.

“Thank you so much!” Layla and Zelda said in unison.

“Think nothing of it. Now please, come with us. We shall take you to our city.” Taylor beckoned.

Zelda, Layla and I did as she said and followed them. We trekked through the desert to the northeast. As we walked, I examined what the horses were carrying. It looked like the carcasses of lizards. I recognized them as the same kind of lizard I came across earlier and had for lunch.

“So, you eat those things?” I asked.

“Yes. They’re a Gerudo delicacy. They’re called Komodo lizards.” Taylor explained.

“Ah. I caught one of those earlier. We ate it for lunch.” I told her.

“Y-you caught one?! On foot? These lizards are incredibly fast! Normally you’d need a horse to...” She suddenly paused. “... Now that I think about it, with your speed... Yes, now it makes sense...” she nodded to herself.

“So you three were out hunting, then?” Layla asked.

“That’s right.” Marluxia answered. “We were out catching Komodo lizards to feed our people.”

“I see...”

“You were lucky to find us.” Larxene chimed in. “Nights in the desert are extremely cold, and there’s nothing around here to use for shelter. You guys would’ve frozen to death.”

“I-Is that so...” Layla said, a little shaken. “So... We really could’ve died out here...”

“A little cold won’t bother me. I’ve felt the subzero temperatures of the Snow Realm’s crystal mountains first-hand! After that, I don’t think any cold could faze me anymore.” I said.

“Well that’s nice for you, but I really could’ve died!” Layla scowled.

“Eh... Right. Sorry...” I sighed.

We kept chatting back and forth as we walked with the three Gerudo hunters for several more minutes. Soon enough, we reached the edge of a cliff.

“Here we are!” Taylor said.

I rushed up to the edge of the cliff and peered over. It enclosed a vast valley in a sort of half-circle shape, and within the valley was a town. The houses were all made from stone, and were lined up in rows, creating several long streets like a grid. There was one larger building in the center. It seemed like it was fit for a king. I guessed that it was the home of the Gerudo King, the only male among the Gerudo, Ganondorf.

From our position at the top of the cliff, we could see several people walking up and down the streets of the city. They were all Gerudo, and naturally, all women.

“So this is it!” I exclaimed.

“We made it!” Layla said excitedly.

“Welcome to Nabooru, the Gerudo capital!” Taylor said grandly.

I'm gonna tell you guys right now, Ganondorf is not a villain in this story, and the Gerudo people are not evil either. I'm only telling you this so you don't get all excited for nothing. I know that Ganondorf is always a villain in the series, so I figure that when you guys see his name you'd assume he's a villain in my story too. I just want to let you know up front that this isn't the case, in order to clear up any misunderstandings. I hope you guys aren't too upset or disappointed by this, but that's just how it is. Either way, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please look forward to the next one!

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Rragh disapopoint everywhere ganinarf is not a villain!!1on1E

Awesome chapter! A bit too much dialogue if you ask me, but awesome regardless! Are the Gerudo evil in this story, by chance? That's something I'd like to know.

and, by the way, Marluxia is pronounced "Mar-loo-sha"

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I love the dialogue to be honest! A very tiny and small typo:
Layal finally reached me and Zelda at the top of the dune.

Great chapter once again and the jokming parts were funny! I wonder what will happen next now they are in Nabooru. And it is your story so who cares if ganondorf is the main villain or not? :yes:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks so much, you two! :) And Van, I edited the bit at the bottom to answer your question. The Gerudo aren't evil. ;) Okay guys, it's time for chapter twenty-eight! I hope you guys enjoy this! Tell me what you think! Also, I'll be making use of a lot of the characters you guys provided me in my sign-ups. :)
Friendly Warning: This chapter contains a short scene involving suggestive content.

Enjoy the chapter!

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Taylor, Marluxia and Larxene lead us through the bustling streets of Nabooru. It seemed they were leading us to the castle in the center of the city.

“Are we going to the castle?” I asked.

“That’s right. I’m certain our king would love to meet the Hero of Spirits and his friends.” Taylor answered.

“You mean... We get to stay in the castle?!” Layla exclaimed.

Taylor nodded.

“Ooooh, this is so exciting! I can’t believe we get the royal treatment!” she continued. Layla leaned over to me and whispered, “Being the Hero of Spirits sure comes with some perks, huh?”

“Yeah, I guess. I don’t normally take advantage of them, though.” I said plainly.

Layla seemed to be put off by my answer, as if she thought I was chastising her. I ignored it and continued walking.

As we walked, a lot of the townspeople were staring at us, particularly me.

I increased my pace to walk right next to Taylor and asked, “Why is everyone staring at me?”

“Well, as you know, we’re primarily a race of women. Many of the Gerudo have never seen a man before.” she explained.

“But your king is a man, right? Does he not make many public appearances?” I asked.

Taylor nodded.

“I see...” I said.

I began to wonder what kind of person Ganondorf, the Gerudo King, was. I decided against judging him before meeting him, and figured I’d find out once we got to the castle.

It wasn’t long before we reached it. The castle towered pretty high, however it still did not reach over the cliff we came down earlier. It was a golden sandy color like the rest of the buildings in the city, and the architecture was beautiful. It was sort of like an ancient gothic style I read about when I was little.

We entered through the grand doorway at the front of the castle, and Zelda, Layla and I let out a simultaneous “Wow~...”. The three of us were shocked beyond belief. The castle was full of beautiful decorations and paintings and tapestries, the kind of interior design you’d expect from a picture book about a fairy tale.

“This way.” Taylor beckoned.

The three of us followed her up a grand staircase and then down a long hallway. It really felt like we were walking through a picture book. We reached another grand doorway. Standing outside these doors were some Gerudo guards. Taylor explained to them who we were and that she wished to introduce us to the king. One of the guards nodded, and entered the throne room, shutting the doors behind her. We didn't get a chance to peek in while they were open for that short time.

After a few minutes, the guard returned outside. "King Ganondorf will see you now." she said.

We nodded. The guards opened the doors for us, and we walked into the large throne room. Sitting before us in a grand throne was who I presumed to be the Gerudo King, Ganondorf. He was an older man, who looked to be in his seventies. The signature orange hair of the Gerudos this man possessed was gray and faded, and tied back in skillful braids. He wore a golden headpiece atop his head, and black robes dressed his body elegantly.

Taylor motioned for me alone to approach him, and for Layla to bow. After Layla got down on one knee, Taylor did the same, and not knowing what to do, Zelda merely floated closer to the floor. I approached Ganondorf with a few quick strides, and bowed once.

“Hello.” I said.

Ganondorf stood up. “So you are him, then? The Hero of Spirits I’ve heard so much about?” he asked in a gravely voice.

“That’s right. It’s an honor to meet you, King Ganondorf.” I said.

“The honor is all mine, believe me.” Ganondorf said as he walked toward me. “It is very nice to meet you, Alphonse.” he said, extending his hand.

“Likewise.” I answered.

I shook his hand, and he showed me a soft smile. “You and your friends are welcome to stay here for as long as you need to.” he told me. “I shall have Larxene and Marluxia prepare a room for you.”

He nodded at Marluxia and Larxene, who hung back by the door, and they nodded back and walked off.

“Thank you very much.” I said.

“I also have something to ask of you, Alphonse.” he added.

“What is it?” I asked, not knowing what to expect.

“Tomorrow is my people’s annual Fighting Festival. Many of the Gerudo's finest warriors will be participating. I think it would be fun if you were to participate as well, Alphonse.” he said.

“Huh? M-me? Are you sure? I mean... If it’s like an annual thing... I don’t want to impose on your traditions...” I said nervously.

“It’s quite alright, my friend.” Ganondorf laughed. “Trust me, my people will jump at the chance to spar with one such as yourself!”

“Well... If you insist...” I finally conceded.

“Very good!” Ganondorf exclaimed, clasping his hands together. “The festival begins tomorrow at eleven o'clock in the morning. I look forward to seeing you there!”

“How did I get myself into this...” I thought to myself.

I was laying on the bed in the room Ganondorf provided for me, staring up at the ceiling. It was already late at night, and dinner was long past. Zelda was asleep on my pillow as usual. Layla was in the room next door.

I was mulling over this “Fighting Festival” Ganondorf wanted me to join in. I didn’t want to fight with the Gerudo. I didn’t even like fighting, and I certainly didn’t find it fun. I guessed the Gerudo just had a different culture than I did, so I didn’t want to be rude and turn them down... But still, I didn’t want to fight them.

I sighed. "Maybe I’ll go ask Layla what she thinks.” I said to myself.

I hopped up off the bed, and walked over to the door that joined my room with Layla’s. I knocked on the door a few times.

“Layla? You awake?” I called out.

There was no answer.

I shrugged and opened the door. I froze up.

Standing across the room was Layla, who was drying her wet hair with a towel. And that towel happened to be the only thing Layla had on.

My fight or flight response quickly refreshed my memories of what happened last time this situation occurred. I quickly backed into my room and closed the door as fast as I could.

“ALPHONSE!” Layla shouted angrily.

“I’m sorry! I knocked this time! And I called out to you! Why didn’t you answer?!” I yelled back, barricading the door with my back.

I was doing this because Layla was on the other side banging on the door like she was trying to break it down. I had no intention of being hit again.

“I was about to answer! Couldn't you have waited a few more seconds?! What, were you looking forward to seeing me naked again?!” she screamed back.

"Don't make it sound like I did it on purpose! How was I supposed to know you weren't decent?!" I shouted.

Layla suddenly stopped banging on the door.

“Um... Layla?” I called out.

“Geez, Zelda was right. You really have no tact.” her voice answered.

“... Yeah. I guess not... I’m sorry.” I replied.

I heard the sound of a towel being shifted around, and Layla soon said, “You can come in now. Don’t worry, I’m not gonna hit you.”

While wondering how Zelda wasn't woken up by all our shouting, I opened the door and walked into Layla’s room. I noticed that Layla had removed the towel from her head and wrapped it around her body. A fair amount of her cleavage was still visible, and that made me feel uncomfortable.

“You goddamn goofball." she said, pouting.

"I'm sorry." was all I could think to say.

"Well, what's done is done. Come on in."

Layla walked over and sat on her bed, and gestured for me to do the same. I closed the door behind myself and sat next to Layla on her bed.

Trying my hardest to keep my gaze focused on her face, I said, “W-Well, I wanted to ask you... What do you think I should do tomorrow? You know, about the Fighting Festival...”

“Huh? That’s all?” she asked. “Why do you want to know what I think you should do about that?”

“Well, I don’t exactly want to fight... But I don’t want to turn them down either.” I explained.

Layla sighed before continuing. “You know... You can really be hopeless sometimes.” she said. “But...” Layla leaned a little closer to me, which made me feel even more uncomfortable.”... The fact that you’re worried about how they would feel just means you’re a nice person.” she said sweetly.

“Um...” I began.

“Listen. I get that you don’t exactly want to fight people who have been so hospitable towards you, so don’t think of it as a fight. Think of it as a game.” she told me.

“A game?” I said.

“That’s right. And you’d better give it your all. Don’t let them take you lightly, Alphonse, because you’re strong. And you should be able to show them just how strong you are!” she told me encouragingly.

Think of this as a game? Show them just how strong I am? I hadn’t thought of it that way.

- Maybe... Maybe, if it’s like this, then I can fight after all...

I smiled and said, “Thanks, Layla. You really helped me there.”

“Don’t mention it.” she said.

Layla suddenly got up, grabbed me, and pulled me up off her bed. Just as I was wondering what she was going to do, she turned me around and pushed me towards the door.

“Now get out of my room!” she said.

It was now time for the Gerudo Fighting Festival. There was a stadium about a mile away from the city, and it was packed full with Gerudos. Cheers and applause poured down from the stands as I walked into the ring in the middle of the stadium. I was going first.

The festival was organized like a tournament. I fight someone, and then the winner moves on and fights the winner of another battle. This process continues until there are only two left. There were eight participants, including myself. We were allowed to use any tactics we wanted, but we weren’t allowed to attack the head or the heart. The first to draw blood or knock the opponent out of the ring wins.

We weren’t allowed to know who we were fighting next, and we couldn’t watch the other battles. Otherwise, we could develop a plan to defeat the opponent, and that wouldn’t be fair. Each battle was meant to be a surprise.

My first opponent walked into the ring. It was Larxene.

“So I have to fight the famous Hero of Spirits first, huh? Don’t let me down, Alphonse.” she said threateningly.

I just gave her a wry smile in response, and looked around the stands. Many Gerudos were calling Larxene’s name. I figured she had some fans. I could also hear Layla and Zelda cheering for me somewhere behind me.

- Sigh... Well, let’s get this over with.

All of a sudden, the stadium went quiet. Ganondorf’s booming voice echoed from the northern part of the stands, from a private booth.

“Let the 246th annual Gerudo Fighting Festival... Commence!” he called out.

The loud sound of a gong being struck reverberated throughout the stadium, and the cheers picked up once more.

“Let’s see what you got, Alphonse.” Larxene snapped.

She drew two daggers, and ran her tongue along the length of one of them. Seeing this action reminded me of Ghirahim, who did the same thing with his sword when I fought him in the oil mines. This memory sent an involuntary chill down my spine, and Larxene misinterpreted it as a sign of intimidation.

She grinned and charged me, expecting to catch me off guard. However, I drew my sword and very easily parried the blow. The dagger in her left hand was knocked from her grip and went flying out of the ring.

Larxene stared at her empty left hand in shock, and them back up at me just in time to catch sight of my palm thrust. The force from my blow that hit her in the stomach knocked her out of the ring.

The gong sounded again, and Ganondorf’s booming voice declared the match over.

“Wait... It’s over already?” I said to myself in surprise.

I heard Layla and Zelda cheering for me again. I sheathed my sword, and bowed to the crowd.

- Well, that was kind of disappointing...

The referee lead me inside the waiting room, where I sat by myself. I had to wait through three more matches before it was my turn again.

As I sat in a rather comfy chair, I listened the the sound of applause from the stadium outside, and I heard the sound of the gong signaling the match to start. About five minutes later, the gong sounded again, signifying the match was over.

“Sigh...”

I adjusted myself in the chair and continued to listen. Before long, the next gong sounded. It was the start of match three. However, something unusual happened. Less than thirty seconds later, the gong sounded again.

- The third match is over already? Then does that mean there’s someone as strong as me here?

As I thought about this, the gong signaling the start of the fourth match rang out. About four minutes passed by before it rang again. That marked the end of the first round.

I heard footsteps walk down my hallway, and soon enough, the referee, called Vee, entered my waiting room.

“You’re up, Alphonse.” she told me.

I stood up and followed her out of the waiting room and back outside to the ring. As I stepped outside, the cheers grew louder, and I could hear Layla and Zelda calling my name again. I walked to the center of the ring, and I was face-to-face with a Gerudo I did not know.

“Hi. I’m Alphonse.” I introduced.

“I’m Maika. I'm looking forward to a good fight!” she said politely and enthusiastically.

I nodded back to her, and smiled. Maika seemed like a nice person, so I didn’t really want to fight her.

Ganondorf’s booming voice called out that it was time to begin the first match of Round Two, and the gong sounded.

“Here we go!” Maika said as she drew the hook blade strapped to her waist.

I drew the Lokomo Sword strapped to my back, and prepared to fight.

Maika rushed at me and swung her sword with great precision. I blocked and dodged to her left, sending a strike of my own her way. She swiftly moved away and attacked again. We exchanged several blows. It was hard for me to keep up with her. She moved like she was dancing, and her unorthodox movements allowed for her to evade and parry each of my strikes.

Before long, she had me backed up to the edge of the ring. I gulped nervously, and parried another strike. As she moved to push me out of the ring with her next blow, I ducked and sidestepped behind her. I was in a perfect position to knock her out of the ring, but just as I tried, she leapt into the air and backflipped over my head. She gracefully landed behind me and continued to attack.

I decided to mimic her movements, and attempted to fight the same way she was. Before long, I got the hang of her style, and we were evenly matched. I noticed a look of frustration spread across her face as she realized she could no longer make me budge. Her attacks became more and more desperate, and she started gaining ground again. However, just as she tried to knock me out of the ring with one last blow, I delicately shifted my body to avoid her blow, grabbed her sword arm, and with a spinning motion, tossed her out of the ring.

The gong signaling the end of the match rang out, and before I went back to the waiting room, I shook Maika’s hand.

After returning to the waiting room, I listened to the other match. The crowd’s applause rang throughout the stadium as usual, and the gong signaled the start of the fight. However, this fight was also over in under thirty seconds. I assumed it was the same person who won the third match of the first round in a similar amount of time.

Now it was time for the final round. It was between me and this mystery warrior. I started feeling myself getting excited. I didn’t know if it was the atmosphere of the festival, but for the first time I actually found myself feeling eager to fight. I was curious about this mystery opponent.

Soon enough, the referee called Vee came in to fetch me. I quickly followed her out into the stadium, and I walked to the center of the ring. Standing across from me was something I didn’t expect to see; a boy.

This person was not a Gerudo. He had light skin and messy chestnut-colored hair. He wore a black waistcoat with gold trimmings over his chest with no undershirt, white knee-length trousers, and black open-toed sandals. He wasn’t carrying a weapon.

“I’m Regret.” he said. “It’s nice to meet you!”

The boy with the strange name smiled cheerfully. I didn’t realize there was another non-Gerudo taking part in the festival, so I was kind of caught off-guard. Nevertheless, I gave him my name as well, and soon enough, the gong signaling the start of the final match rang out.

“Here I come!” Regret shouted as he clenched his fists together.

I drew my sword and got ready to fight. However, something else unexpected happened.

Two spheres of red aura condensed around Regret’s fists.

- That’s... magic power! But how?! Normally, humans can’t use magic...

This was true. Only races like the Lokomo and the Demons could use magic. I was an exception, being the Hero of Spirits. However, regardless of this truth, this person could still use magic.

Regret suddenly lunged at me, and I quickly got my head in the game. I blocked with my sword, and his fist collided with a flurry of red sparks. A loud smack sound was heard, and I was pushed several feet back, right to the edge.

- Close call...

No wonder this guy won the other two matches so quickly. He used the magic power around his fists for an extra power boost.

I condensed my own magic power around the blade of the Lokomo Sword and rushed him. If he’s going to use magic then so will I, I thought to myself. Regret seemed surprised that I could use magic too, and blocked with his fists. Another loud smack rang out, and sparks of blue and red aura scattered everywhere.

Regret and I began to exchange numerous high-speed blows over and over again at this close range. While we fought, I felt an enhanced sense of perception. Time seemed to slow down, and the surroundings all but melted away. The cheers of the crowd gradually faded away as well. I could see every move Regret made clearly. I’d never experienced anything like this before. It was as if Regret was the perfect match for me.

Time dragged on and on as we exchanged blows like this, and neither of us were gaining any ground. As we fought, all I could think about was how he could use magic. Soon enough, something clicked within my memory.

- Wait a second...

Yes, it made sense now. I fought someone like him before. I recognized this type of magic. I felt a strong twisting feeling in my stomach as I came to this realization. Now I knew why he could use magic.

- I understand... This guys is...

At that moment, I slipped up. I had been so caught up in my thoughts, I’d made a grave mistake. I parried when I should have dodged, and this left an opening. Regret didn’t miss a beat as he thrusted his fist into my stomach. My body lurched as I was sent airborne. I fell through the air and landed outside the ring.

And just like that, I lost the fight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom