• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art The Hero of Spirits

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you so very much, Ark! Enjoy chapter thirteen, everyone! Friendly Warning: This chapter contains some content that may not be suitable for all readers. Oh and watch out for the cliffhanger ending! :O

Chapter Thirteen

- RENA’S CABIN -​

“Al sure is taking a long time to come back…” Saria moaned.

“Don’t worry, Saria! I’m sure he’ll be back in no time!” Zelda assured her.

Word of Alphonse’s triumph over Vaati had not yet reached their ears. Zelda was frustrated that Alphonse had left her behind without a word, but she also felt scared. She couldn’t be sure if he was dead or alive. She asked Rena that morning to inquire around a nearby town, Mayscore, to find out any news. She still had not returned.

“Alphonse…” Zelda whispered.

The thought of never seeing her closest friend again terrorized her. She didn’t want to think of a world without Alphonse. Saria could somehow tell that Zelda was worried.

“Zel, don’t be sad!” she said. “Al will be home soon, just like you said! So don’t be sad!” Saria said these words with a confident, innocent smile on her face.

“Saria…” Zelda breathed. It would be impossible to tell, but Zelda was surely smiling back. “You’re right. He’ll be home soon. He's definitely okay. He has to be...”

She wanted to believe that, but Zelda could not shake the feeling that Alphonse was in some kind of trouble...

- BACK IN THE OIL QUARRY -​

Ghirahim licked his lips in a sadistic manner as he approached me with slow, striding steps. I held up my guard, preparing for anything this opponent could try. But unfortunately, I wasn’t prepared enough. Ghirahim suddenly launched forward with shocking speed. His seamless transition from slow to fast threw me off for a second, allowing him the opportunity to grasp the upper hand. Using his momentum to his advantage, Ghirahim struck me with a palm thrust that sent me flying. The impact was taken by my blade, but I could not guard myself from the force. I managed to skid to a rough stop, but I almost slipped on the ice in the process. Ghirahim used this to his advantage, as well.

Before I could properly regain my footing, he was on me. He caught me with a roundhouse kick aimed at my head, but luckily I was able to block his strike with my left arm at the very last second. I skidded across the floor from the force of his blow, and my back hit the wall hard. The repercussions stalled me for just a second, but a second was all Ghirahim needed. He was before me in the same instant I hit the wall, hurling a curled fist at my head. I was just barely able to duck and roll forward, getting behind him. I took several steps back to gain some distance. The place where Ghirahim’s fist struck the wall was marked with a large indent that cracked the wall in several places around it’s epicenter.

- If he’d hit me with that punch… I’d surely be dead…

Now it was very clear to me. I was in over my head.

“Hmm…” Ghirahim mumbled. “Is this all you’ve got, Alphonse?” He chuckled. “I can’t believe that such a fragile child like you defeated Vaati! We Demons don’t go down easily, you know.”

“We?” I asked nervously.

“Yes, that’s right! I, myself, am a Demon! A Demon Lord, to be more precise. Just like Vaati was.” Ghirahim announced.

“So does that mean you’re one of Malladus’s followers?” I asked.

Ghirahim cackled wildly in response. “Ha! As if I’d take orders from that brat!” he shouted.

- Brat?

“I don’t take orders from anyone younger than me. That Malladus has some outstanding power, to be sure, but compared to me, he is still a child. And serving children is a very… undesirable concept to me.” he explained.

I could tell that Ghirahim respected Malladus’s power, but he had no respect for Malladus himself. “Malladus is younger than you?” I asked. I wasn’t trying to stall our fight; I was curious to learn more about the Demons.

“That’s correct.” Ghirahim answered. “He hasn’t been around for very long, just short of a hundred years. … Oh, right. I suppose that’s quite long for you humans, isn’t it?” He paused for a moment. “Hmm… I guess you could say he’s like a ten year old compared to a forty year old. I have been around for over four hundred years. We Demons live long, after all.”

“And you don’t respect him because he’s so much younger than you?” I asked.

“Yes, exactly! Vaati may have been content with taking orders from a child, but I have much higher standards. I prefer to lead than follow, anyway. On top of that, I don’t go off starting a silly war with the Spirits of Light.”

‘Wait, you mean Malladus did that himself? The other Demons weren’t involved?” I asked.

“Yes. Vaati was the only other Demon to get involved in this war. None of the other Demons wanted any part of it, including me.” Ghirahim explained. “The rest of us have no intention of getting involved in a war started by a foolish and impulsive child.”

“… Hold on a second. If Malladus is basically a kid, then does that mean his title as the Demon King is false?”

“Actually, no. He is a King.” Ghirahim began pacing back and forth. “That boy may be a brat, but he is a prodigy. He has amazing power, even for a Demon, let alone a Demon child. You could say his power rivals my own… He was able to rise to the rank of King very quickly…” He began to bite his thumb in frustration. “That little brat…” he rasped quietly. “Oh, do excuse me.” he said when he realized he was letting his frustration out. “I seem to have forgotten myself for a moment. It’s just… the thought of a young kid like him rising higher than me makes me quite… disagreeable.”

“He ranks higher than you?” I asked.

“He does. I must admit, envy is one of my flaws. I suppose it contributes to my lack of respect for him… But I digress. Despite my attitude towards him, Malladus is a Demon of remarkable strength. I hate to admit it, but he deserves his title.”

“So, if you’re not one of Malladus’s followers and if you don’t care about the war, then why exactly are you here? And what do you want with me?”

Ghirahim smirked. “Heh… It’s because you defeated Vaati. He was a Demon of the older generation, much like me, and as such he was one of the more experienced and well respected Demon Lords. It’s true he was an arrogant and ego-centric maniac, but he was one of us all the same. When I heard that Vaati had been killed, I decided I just HAD to meet the one who defeated him.” His smirked vanished. “But what do I find when I arrive? A weak, human child? Alphonse, you can imagine how that must make me feel… We Demons have a great sense of pride. When someone like Vaati is defeated by an insect… Well, I’m sure you can imagine the rest.”

My mind flashed back to Vaati's outburst of rage, sparked by a simple cut to the cheek. I shifted uneasily and took a step back. “So… Does that mean… You came here to kill me?” I asked.

Ghirahim laughed briefly and began to grin. “You are so perceptive, Alphonse.” he rasped. As he licked his lips in that sadistic manner of his, he created a black sword using the dark magic common to Demons. He ran his tongue down the length of the blade and said, “Play time is over now.”

Round Two was about to begin. After the incredibly one-sided Round One, I was afraid. I didn’t know what to expect. I wasn’t sure if I could win or not. But before I could finish mentally preparing myself, Ghirahim made his move.

Before I knew what happened, Ghirahim was upon me. He slashed quickly and powerfully with his sword, and I couldn’t completely guard against it in time. The force from his blow knocked down my guard, and he was able to cut across my chest. I staggered back, and thrust my sword forward. Ghirahim was already gone. I caught sight of a gleam out of the corner of my eye. I ducked just in time to avoid his black blade as it cut through the air above my head. This time, I quickly condensed my magic power and let a powerful burst of energy loose. Ghirahim then dashed any hope I had of victory in one fell swoop.

He caught my blade between two fingers.

I was frozen in disbelief. Not only did he stop my sword, he also completely stopped the burst of magic, as well. The aura quickly dispersed into nothing. Ghirahim did not as much as blink.

“Wha… What…?" I breathed.

I was dumbstruck. I had never even considered the fact that my magic power could be stopped so easily. I didn’t know what to do. I had no idea how I should act now. I was confused, and scared.

Ghirahim grinned menacingly, and before I knew it, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. Ghirahim released my sword from his grasp, and I tried to back off. But something made that difficult. I was unsure of why it hurt so much to move, and that’s when I heard a small, dripping sound. It sounded like water lazily dripping from a faucet. I looked down. And that’s when I finally knew what happened.

Ghirahim’s sword had pierced through my chest.

I started to tremble. My blood was dripping from the tip of the sword. The coat Firo had lent me was drenched with red. I tried to take a breath, but my attempt resulted in me coughing up a lot of blood. My legs felt weak. My grip was beginning to loosen. My head was growing cloudy. My vision was slowly receding. I collapsed to the ground, lying partly on my side, with Ghrahim's sword was still impaled in my chest. As I fell, the Lokomo Sword slipped from my hand. It was the first time I’d ever lost my grip on my sword in a fight. My golden eyes were starting to grow dull and blank. All the energy was escaping my body. I felt myself beginning to shut down. It was the first time I’d ever experienced this. This was the first time I knew for a fact that this was it.

I was going to die.​

Last edited:
T

theSageDarkSide

nice dude,ou have a talent for this, hey quik question, ever been to zeldacomic

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Awesome! This is probably one of the best fan-fics I've ever read. It's just so well done, even though you add in so many things. It really works.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you so much, all of you! Especially you, MikauIncarnate! That was really nice of you to say! ^^ Now then, enjoy the next chapter!
Friendly Warning: This chapter contains some graphic violence and content that may not be suitable for all readers.

“You are such a disappointment, Alphonse.” Ghirahim said with a disgusted expression.

As I lay on Death’s doorstep, a pool of blood seeping from my wound, Ghirahim stood over me. He towered over my body like a king towers over an ant.

“I expected much better from the Hero of Spirits. But it sadly turns out that you are nothing more than a weak child. And that is exactly how you shall die.” He raised his voice. “You shall die here, all alone, as nothing more than the weak, powerless child you are, Alphonse!”

With that, Ghirahim turned sharply and began to walk away, leaving me to lie there and wait for my life to finally slip away.

- This is it? I’m going to die?

Chapter Fourteen

Everything was white.

I felt as if I were floating in an empty, white void. There was nothing around me, but how could there be? I was dead, after all.

My eyes were shut.

Why should I have them open? There was nothing to see anymore.

“Is this really it?” I said quietly. “This is really where I die?”

Ghirahim’s words echoed throughout my mind. You shall die here, all alone, as nothing more than the weak, powerless child you are, Alphonse! I couldn’t help but feel like he was right.

“I really am nothing more than a weak and powerless child… Even being the Hero of Spirits can’t change what I am… I understand that, even more so now that I’m dead…” I spoke quietly. “I was right after all… How can someone like me hope to protect anyone?”

I paused. Upon speaking those words, I instantly thought of Naomi’s smiling face.

“No…” I breathed. “No, that’s wrong… I can protect someone… Naomi is able to smile like that because I was able to protect her….” I pictured Saria’s smiling face as well. “Saria can smile and be happy because I was able to save her, too…” Thinking of Saria made me think of Rena and Zelda. “That’s right… They’re still waiting for me to come back… And so is Naomi…” I paused. “Yeah, that’s right… Being the Hero of Spirits doesn’t change what I am, or who I am. It changes what I can do.”

A golden light began to shine around me, filling the emptiness of the white void. I opened my eyes, and it felt like I was doing so for the very first time.

All I could see was everyone’s smiling faces.​

“Yeah, that’s right.” I said again. “Becoming the Hero of Spirits has given me a blessing. It’s allowed me to gain the power to protect the ones I love. Now that I have that power, I can’t let them down.”

As I said those words, my golden eyes grew bright with the fires of determination. The golden light surrounding me began to change color. It melted away into a hue of azure blue. This azure light gave me strength, and warmth. I felt a power unlike anything I’ve ever felt welling up, deep within me. But it wasn’t just any power.

This was the power of my heart.

“That’s right.” I said again. “I can’t afford to die here, not with my friends waiting for me to come home!” With my fiery golden eyes gleaming with my unbreakable resolve, I put my right hand over my heart and spoke the most powerful words that ever passed my lips.

“With this power that burns bright in my heart, I will protect my friends!”​

Just then, the surrounding void full of azure blue light melted away, and I felt myself being raised to my feet by this strange new aura. The Lokomo Sword drifted through the air back into its rightful place in the grasp of my right hand. Its blade was no longer glowing with golden light; it was now azure blue. With my left hand, I grabbed Ghirahim’s black sword, which was still impaled in my chest, and ripped it out. Blood began to seep from my wound again, but the azure blue aura dissolved the blood and repaired the wound, healing me. I discarded the black sword, tossing it aside.

A shocked Ghirahim stood before me a few steps away. “But how?” he breathed. “You were dead! I know you were dead!” he screamed in confused rage.

I didn’t hear him. Without even realizing it, I swung my sword at a speed I'd never thought possible for me. Ghirahim didn’t see it coming, and my blade cut across his chest, letting loose a powerful burst of magic. This burst was less destructive than usual, but it was more controlled and powerful than before. It was surprisingly tame for the amount of damage it inflicted upon Ghirahim. His rib cage was shattered and his torso was torn open. A shower of crimson blood splattered the cold floor as his body was made airborne. He struck the far wall and collapsed to the ground. As he hit the floor, more blood from his wound splattered.

I didn’t seem to notice what I’d just done. I stood there staring at Ghirahim as he struggled to get back to his feet. I watched as his heaving breaths caused him to cough up more blood. I watched as his trembling arms attempted to gather the strength to lift his body back to its feet. I watched as his deep purple eyes glared at me with contempt and malevolence. I saw him, but I could not see him. I felt as if I was looking at him with someone else’s eyes. It was as if I were possessed. I wasn't aware of my actions.

“Damn you…” Ghirahim rasped. He put his hand to his chest, and an ominous violet aura glowed in his palm. This magic patched his wound. Now that the concern of bleeding to death was no longer an issue, Ghirahim was able to raise himself to his feet at last. “I can’t believe this…” he said disdainfully. “To think you could land such a blow upon me...” Ghirahim licked his lips sadistically as he created a new black sword. “Alphonse… I will not suffer this insult!” he screamed as he slammed his palm upon his patched wound. “You will suffer for this! I will not stand for it! I will make you go deaf from the shrill sound of your own screams! I will make you rue the moment you ever landed this blow upon me! Prepare yourself!”

Ghirahim clutched his sword in both hands, and a dark violet aura enveloped the blade. He began to charge me, and his sword was building up more power as he ran. I was still not myself. The next sequence of events went by very quickly, but for me it was like the flow of time around me was slowed.

My body began to lean forward. The next second, my body vanished. The next second, my arms thrust the Lokomo Sword through a shocked Ghirahim’s chest. The next second, my foot kicked him away. The next second, I was beside his body as it floated through the air. The next second, a burst of azure blue magic ripped and teared at Ghirahim’s body as he launched across the room. The next second, he impacted against the wall. In the last second, his body collapsed to the floor once again.

Ghirahim coughed up a large amount of blood as it poured from his wounds like a running faucet. His skull was split across its left side, and his left arm and chest were torn open. Blood spilled from his gut as he struggled to sit up. The sight that lay out before my eyes was absolutely horrifying, but I was still in this bizarre trance. Nothing seemed to reach me. Not even this.

Somehow Ghirahim was able to speak despite how gravely he was injured. "I never would have expected you to be this powerful..." he rasped. "I misjudged you... It seems I cannot defeat you at the moment... However... We will meet again, and when that time comes... I promise I will deliver upon you the most excruciating and merciless torment imaginable... You have my word... on that..." Ghirahim's words echoed as his body dissolved into a violet aura that quickly dispersed. He'd gotten away for now.

After Ghirahim's presence was completely gone from this place, my trance-like state came to an end. As it subsided, I instantly became aware of everything that transpired, including the gory mess I created. I collapsed to my knees, shaking and breathing heavily. My golden eyes were wide with horror. I couldn't believe that I was responsible for such a gruesome bloodbath. An act of violence on that scale was something I never would've thought myself capable of. I was truly terrified. I'd been scared for a while now that this war would turn me into a monster. I was beginning to think that was now happening to me. The thought of becoming such a monster was too much for me.

"What... what's happening to me..." I breathed.

"I see you're finally getting a taste of what this war is truly like."​

This familiar gravelly voice startled me. I turned around to find Anjean, perched in her little wagon-like chair.

"Anjean... what's...." I asked.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that Alphonse. I was worried that you may be forced to experience the hell of this war soon, but I honestly didn't think it would happen just over a day after you were named the Hero of Spirits..." She sighed greatly. "Alphonse, what you did to Ghirahim... That kind of merciless violence is what we're facing every day this war goes on."

I got to my feet and fully turned around to face her.

"Anjean... This is..." I paused. "This is just too much..." She watched me quietly. "This is all wrong..." I continued. "Why does senseless violence like this have to exist?!" I shouted. A few tears began to stream from my eyes.

Anjean lowered her head. "I'm sorry you had to be exposed to this at such a young age... I understand how you feel. This war truly is nothing more than senseless violence. However..." She looked up at me. "Alphonse, the violence you create isn't senseless. It has a purpose. You fight because you want to protect the people important to you. That alone gives meaning to what you do, isn't that right?"

I wiped my eyes and nodded. "But that's not all." I said. Anjean perked up. "I have a new reason for fighting now. This senseless violence... It has to end. You said it yourself, didn't you? That I am the one who will end this war?" Anjean watched me with a growing interest. "Well, I'm going to do just that. In order to protect the ones I love, and to put a stop to all this violence, I will end this war."

My words seemed to reverberate throughout the atmosphere. My golden eyes shined with the flames of my unbreakable resolve. I stood firm and tall now, and I was dead set on my goal. I wanted to save this world and the people in it, and nothing was going to stop me.

Anjean could sense all of this as she gazed at me with her serene black eyes. She smiled and said "Very good. You shall make the Spirits of Light proud, Alphonse."

Now that the fight was over, and my resolve renewed, I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I was able to beat out the feelings of fear and sadness with the power of my heart. I was proud of myself for that.

"Oh, by the way, Alphonse... Do you know what day it is today?" Anjean asked suddenly.

"Huh? The date?" I asked, confused. Anjean nodded. "Um... I think it's December sixteenth-"

I abruptly paused. I didn't even realize it until now. So much was happening all at once for me lately that I'd completely forgotten all about it.

"Heh... I guessed you remember now." Anjean said with a smirk. That smirk quickly turned into a happy smile as she said, "Happy Birthday, Alphonse."

- RENA'S CABIN -​

"I'm home." Rena announced as she opened the front door.

A simultaneous reply of "Rena!" was spoken by both Zelda, who was floating in the center of the room, and by Saria, who poked her head out from behind the green couch. Rena assumed they were playing hide and seek.

"Do you have any news on Alphonse?" Zelda asked desperately.

"Yes, I do. I heard from a villager in Mayscore that Vaati was defeated by a boy named Alphonse in the Snow Realm two days ago. He did it. He's all right."

Upon hearing those words, a heavy weight was lifted from Zelda's heart.

"Yay! Al is the best ever!" Saria cheered excitedly.

Rena laughed and patted her head, and turned back to Zelda. She was trembling. "Zelda..." Rena said.

"Thank you... Thank you so much Rena.... I'm so glad... that he's all right..." Zelda's quivering voice said softly.

Rena gave her a warm smile, and then said, "I don't know where he is now, though... Sigh... That idiot didn't even make it home in time for his sixteenth birthday." she laughed.

"Als birthday is today?" Saria asked. "We should throw him a party when he gets back!" she decided enthusiastically. "A big surprise party with lots of balloons and cake and stuff!"

Zelda and Rena laughed together and agreed. "Yeah, a big surprise party!" Zelda said excitedly. "Yeah...

"A big, Welcome Home party..."​

Last edited:

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Read the Prologue.....is nice, for sure Lord Vain approved…..oh, and Hackedon approves of the gushing blood and violence :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you very much, Vain! I appreciate you taking the time to reply for me. :> Now I can finally get this story back on track! All right, it's been a while since I've posted a chapter, so I hope you guys enjoy this one. :)

Chapter Fifteen

I stood across from Anjean in the center of the oil quarry with an astonished look on my face.

"How did you know it was my birthday?" I asked Anjean, baffled.

"My dear, I've been watching you for a while now. Do you honestly think I wouldn't know that much about you?" she said with a smirk.

"Good point..." I said. I paused for a moment, and then I said, with a slightly sarcastic tone, "Since you know so much, Anjean, I have something to ask you."

"Oh? What is it?" she replied.

“When I was fighting Ghirahim, it felt like I was possessed by something. Do you have any idea what happened to me?”

“Ah, you achieved your first awakening… I sensed it happen, which is why I came here. Alphonse, you are beginning to awaken to the powers of the Spirits of Light. There are two awakenings for the Hero of Spirits; the first one grants you the privilege of wielding the Spirits' magic.”

“The Spirits' magic power?” I asked.

“Yes, that azure blue magic power that you used to fight Ghirahim. Your former golden magic power was the power of my people, the Lokomo. Now that you’ve awakened, you can use the magic of the Spirits themselves.”

“I see… But what happened to cause my awakening?” I asked. “Is it because my life was in danger?”

“Hardly. The magic power of the Spirits is only granted to one who proves himself worthy of it. Perhaps the trigger for your awakening was something you thought or felt as you were dying…”

I remembered what I thought earlier while I was dying. With this power that burns bright in my heart, I will protect my friends! I realized this was probably it.

“I can tell by the look on your face that I was right.” Anjean said. “Something you said must have proved your worth to the Spirits, and they granted you your first awakening.”

“Okay.” I said. “But… Then, what was it that possessed me? The magic power?” I asked.

“It was probably the Lokomo Sword.” she conjectured.

“What? The sword?” I asked, confused. I gazed over the sword, which I was still clutching in my right hand. “It can do that?”

“Yes.” Anjean explained. “It is the physical embodiment of the Spirits’ great power. It has its own will. That will is probably what possessed your body.”

“But why would it do that?” I asked.

“I have a theory.” Anjean began. “Your life was in mortal danger, and since you awakened, you proved you are worthy of being the Hero of Spirits. Thus, the sword couldn't afford to let you die. So, it possessed you in order to fight off any threats, like Ghirahim. It also healed your wounds.” Anjean pointed at my chest. As she did this, I put my hand over the spot where Ghirahim had impaled me. An uneasy expression came over my face.

"I see." I began. "But, you know... The sword was really violent. It went a little too far... There was just so much blood... It was too much, Anjean..."

Anjean looked at me with stone-cold eyes. “Alphonse… Do you honestly believe you can end this war without having to commit such acts of violence?”

I didn’t answer. My golden eyes held a melancholic expression that told Anjean everything she needed to know.

"Tell me you're joking, Alphonse. You've been traveling around the Forest Realm fighting monsters on an almost daily basis. Violence is nothing new to you. Yet you break down simply because you make a gory mess out of Ghirahim?"

"This was different." I said. "It wasn't me doing the fighting. It wasn't my choice. And I don't want that, Anjean. I want to have the choice to fight my own way. I don't want to be forced to commit violence like that!"

"Alphonse, what happened here today was inevitable. You have to remember that this is a war, and you have been chosen to end it. You must be prepared to get your hands much dirtier than this if you want to prevail. You won't have a choice."

The melancholic expression in my eyes grew more intense. I knew what she said was true, and knowing that was painful.

“I know you don’t want to hear this Alphonse…” Anjean continued, “But you must face this truth if you want to end this war. You cannot stay a naïve and idealistic child forever.”

My fist, the one clutching the Lokomo Sword, began to tremble. Anjean sighed and said, “I have business to attend to, and I know you do as well. Put this out of your thoughts for the time being. For now, you must focus on saving the remaining Anouki.” And with that, she vanished in a sphere of golden light.

I stood still for a while, reflecting on what Anjean had said to me. Her words struck me deep in my heart. As much as I didn’t want to accept it, I knew she was right.

"I know I may have to commit all kinds of atrocities during the course of this war... But I don't want to lose myself to this senseless violence in the process."

I lifted the Lokomo Sword up a little and gazed at it for a few moments.

"This sword... It can't feel or think. It can't understand what it did the way I can. I don't want to end up like that, as someone who feels nothing. That's what I was trying to say, Anjean..."

I sheathed my sword and returned my focus to the task at hand. I still needed to find the last five Anouki.

I looked around for another path I could take, and I saw it across the room. I jogged over and found myself standing before another long tunnel. Minecart tracks stretched from the quarry into this tunnel. I followed it for several feet before I found myself in another room. This one was much smaller than the quarry, and it was littered with more wrecked oil drums and mine carts. I noticed the top of a threshold just barely visible behind a pile of oil drums at the back of the room. I assumed the Anouki made a barricade to protect themselves from the Wolfos. I headed for this spot.

As I approached the wall of drums, I heard a quick and quiet gasp. They must have heard me coming and thought I was another Wolfos.

“Hello?” I called out. “It’s okay, I’m a human! I’m the Hero of Spirits! I’m here to save you!”

I heard a few murmurs and hushed talking behind the barrels, and suddenly the wall collapsed. The oil drums rolled around across the floor, and I had to dodge a few of them. Behind the wall of barrels was a small cubby, and huddled inside were five Anouki with eyes flooding with grateful tears.

The sun was getting lower in the sky. It was about 4 o’clock.

“Man, it’s been a while since Alphonse left… Wonder if he’s all right.” Firo mumbled. He was standing on the outskirts of the Anouki village with Naomi, Ed and Simon. They were accompanied by many other Anouki who learned of the situation.

Wearing a coat much like the one Firo had given to me, Naomi stood in the snow with a worried look on her face. “He’s all right… I know he’s all right…” Naomi whispered. Her eyes held a look of concern that grew more intense by the second. She was scared that something might have happened.

“Wait! I see ‘em! They’re comin’!” Ed shouted.

He spotted me leading the five Anouki up the hill toward the village.

“Alphonse!” Naomi shouted excitedly.

I grinned and waved to them. After that, a stampede of Anouki charged up the hill past us and into the outstretched arms of their family and friends. While this reunion was going on, Naomi ran down the hill towards me, but when she saw the large bloodstain on my coat, a terrified look overcame her. She slowed to a stop in front of me.

“Hey...” I said.

Naomi’s lip started to quiver. “Alphonse…” she began. “Your coat…” She was referring to the large stain of blood that covered most of the coat’s breast. Her eyes started to well up.

All I could do was smile warmly and say, “... I’m back.”

Naomi sniffled and said with a shaky voice, "Welcome back."

She ran up and hugged me tightly as she started to cry. I hugged her back, and said, "Sorry to make you worry."

That night, there was a celebration of the return of the surviving Anouki, and a memorial for the seven that lost their lives. The atmosphere was full of both happiness and mourning. A small band of Anouki was playing swing music, which seemed to be a favorite of these people, and surrounding the band was a large group of Anouki dancing to the beats. There were tables here and there covered with food and drink. Anouki who weren't dancing were knocking glasses of foaming booze together and gulping it down. Others were stuffing their faces with this region's "special" crab. At the very center of it all was a large bed of blue flowers-- how they managed to grow flowers on this frozen mountain, I'll never know-- with pictures of the seven Anouki who died in the oil mines.

While all this was going on, I sat at a table with Naomi and Firo. I explained everything that happened in the mines; all about Ghirahim, my first awakening, and what Anjean had told me.

"Uh... Whoa... You're... Kind of imploding my mind right now..." Firo mumbled.

"So, now you're even stronger than before, right Alphonse?" Naomi asked.

"Well, I guess so. The Spirits' magic power is more powerful than the Lokomos'. So, I guess that would make me a bit stronger. I think..." I said.

"You don't sound very sure, Alphonse." she said with a laugh.

"'Course he's not. It's not 'bout the power, it's 'bout how ya use it." Firo pointed out.

"Something like that." I said.

"Oh. I guess that makes sense." Naomi said quietly.

"So all after this, I bet yer wantin' ta go home to yer stepdad, eh girl-y?" Firo asked.

"Yeah, we've been gone for a while now. Knowing Oz, he's probably worried sick." she said.

"Well, ya should rest up here fer the night before headin' back. It's dangerous ta go anywhere in this region at night. Too cold fer ya humans." Firo advised.

"Okay." Naomi agreed. "I hope Oz doesn't worry himself sick..."

"I'm sure he'll be fne!" I assured. "Now then..." I grabbed Naomi's hand and pulled her up. "This is a party, right? Let's dance!" I said enthusiastically.

Naomi started blushing."O-Okay! " she said excitedly.

We went over to join the crowd of Anouki dancing to the swing music.

"Except.... Um..." I began.

"What is it?" Naomi asked.

"I... I don't know how to dance." I said.

Naomi was speechless for a few moments before she broke out laughing. "Well, don't worry. I can teach you!"

We spent most of that night dancing wth the Anouki. Firo was definately the wildest dancer out of everyone. Naomi taught me a few different dances, but I couldn't get the hang of them. I turned out to be an awful dancer. This got a few laughs out of everyone. All in all, the celebration and memorial service was a blast. The Anouki really knew how to party. Naomi and I were exhausted by the night's end.

The next morning, Naomi and I woke up early and got ready for our trip back to Kakariko Village. We were both wearing fur coats given to us by the Anouki. We said our good-byes and met Firo by the village's front gate. The bright morning sun sparkled across the crystal mountains as well as on the snow beneath our feet. Firo waved to us as we approached.

"'Kay, you two ready?" Firo asked. Naomi and I nodded. "Then let's go!"

"Wait, you're coming with us?" I asked.

"Yep. Can't have ya gettin' lost again, right?"

"Alphonse isn't very good with directions, after all." Naomi laughed.

"Right..." I sighed.

And with that, we left the Anouki village on foot and headed back to Kakariko.

- OZ'S CLINIC -

"There you go, Mary. All better?" Oz asked a young, fair-haired girl. He had just finished bandaging her bruised arm.

"Yes! Thank you, Doctor!" Mary said happily.

Oz gave her an encouraging smile as her mother walked up to him.

"Thank you for patching her up, Oz." she said.

The mother reached into her purse to get some money, but Oz stopped her. "Payment is not necessary, Madam. Just seeing you two smile is enough for me." he told her.

She smiled and said "Thank you, Oz."

She beckoned for Mary to follow as she left. They waved goodbye and closed the clinic doors behind them. Oz returned to his seat behind the counter. He was all alone in the clinic now.

Oz's mind began to wander back to Naomi and Alphonse. It had been over a day since Naomi had been kidnapped and Alphonse had gone off to save her. Oz hadn't received any word from either of them yet, and had no way of knowing if they were safe. He was distraught with worry for the safety of his stepdaughter and her friend.

"No... I can't keep worrying like this." he said to himself. "Alphonse is the Hero of Spirits. I'm sure he's saved her by now. I just have to be patient and wait for them to come back."

Oz resolved to await their return, and to do his best to help the people who come to his clinic just like he always does. He cleared his mind and prepared himself to do just that as another person entered the clinic.

"Hello, how may I help you today?" Oz asked kindly as this person closed the doors behind him.

This individual was tall and had a large build. His black eyes complemented his black hair. This man wore a tan overcoat which covered most of his body, right down to his feet. His face and black boots were the only visible parts of his body.

"Are you Dr. Oz?" the man asked in a gruff voice.

"Yes, I am. Do you need a check up? Or, are you hurt anywhere?" he asked.

The man approached the counter. "I do have some business with you, yes." he responded. "But not that kind of business."

Without warning, this man leaped over the counter and grabbed Oz by the neck with his right hand, on which he wore a large, fearsome gauntlet with clawed fingertips. He'd kept it concealed in his overcoat. As Oz cried out in pain, the man forced him up against the wall.

"Now then..." he rasped. As Oz was struggling and choking in his vice-like grip, the man leaned in close to him and said, "I have a question for you...

"Where is the Hero of Spirits?"

Last edited:
P

pop546

I have to say that I'm impressed. I've seen some fanfictions, and they're fine, but this one is amazing. I like how you describe everything, and talk about how Alphonse feels. Really, I'm impressed. I'm not sure if I'll stop reading this. :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you very much, pop546! :) Now then, since I'm having trouble deciding how I should put the next part into writing, I decided to do something I've been planning for a while now instead: a "special chapter"! It's the story of how Alphonse and Zelda met! I've been meaning to do this for a while now, and I think after fifteen chapters, this would be a good place to put it. I might even do another special chapter after the next fifteen chapters... Either way, I hope you all enjoy this one!

“Remember to keep plenty of money with you, or you won’t be able to eat.” said a young woman with scarlet hair and sapphire eyes.

“Uh-huh.”

“And don’t forget to polish that sword every once in awhile. I was kind enough to give it to you, so take good care of it.” she said.

“I will.”

“And be sure to keep that directional impairment of yours in check!” she said jokingly.

“Hey! I’m not that bad with directions!” I snapped.

“And Alphonse... Be careful, okay? Make sure you come home safe sometime.” she said solemnly.

“Yeah, I promise Rena. Goodbye!” I said, waving to her as I walked off.

Rena stood in the door of her cabin in the woods, watching me walk off. “He’s really grown up, hasn’t he...” she said quietly. She then slowly closed the door behind her as she went back inside her house bearing a proud smile.

I wasn’t even twelve yet, but I was already setting off to explore the world on my own. Leaving behind the person who took care of me after my parents died, I set off to begin my life. I planned to live my life for the sake of living, just as Rena told me.

Special Chapter
Alphonse and Zelda

- SIX MONTHS LATER -

“What do you mean I’m banished?!” a frantic Forest Fairy cried out in distress.

This small fairy was in the presence of the Fairy Queen, guardian of the Kokiri Forest. This Fairy Queen bestows guardian fairies upon the Kokiri, the children of the forest. Each Kokiri child gets a fairy partner to remain with them forever. However, there was one fairy who remained partnerless.

“You have yet to be desired, young one.” the Fairy Queen spoke benevolently but coldly. “If a fairy should remain undesired by the Kokiri children, that fairy loses its sole purpose for living. You are a fairy with no purpose, and therefore you must be banished. Such is the law.”

“But... But... This just isn’t fair! Please, Your Highness! Give me another chance! I’m sure one of the Kokiri kids will want me eventually! Don’t you think banishment is a little harsh?!” the fairy pleaded.

The Fairy Queen could not be persuaded. “I am sorry. This is the law, as it has always been. There is nothing you can do but accept your fate.”

“But...!” the distressing fairy tried to protest.

“I am sorry.” the Fairy Queen repeated. “But this is the law, and it must be obeyed. Now, leave this forest and never return. You are hereby eternally banished from this forest, Zelda the Fairy.”

“Man, gimme a break! I can’t be this lost!” I moaned as I stood in the center of who knows where. I was surrounded by trees on all sides. Everything looked the same. Seeing the same surroundings in all directions was starting to make me feel dizzy.

I had spent the past six months wandering the Forest Realm by myself. Now twelve years old, I felt confident I could make it on my own. I’d spent a lot of time in the small village known as Mayscore, and now I’d decided it was time for me to be more explorative. I had been nervous about venturing out into the world on my own, but I felt I could handle it. Until now, that is. Right now I was hopelessly lost in the forest.

“Okay, if I keep going in the same direction, I’m bound to get somewhere...” I thought aloud. “I’m pretty sure I can get out of the forest if I go north... Which way is north?”

I thought about it for a few moments.

“Doesn’t moss grow on the north side of trees?” I wondered.

I walked over to the closest tree, and found the side with the thickest moss.

“That way must be north! All right, now I’m getting somewhere! I’ll be out of this forest in no time!” I said confidently as I walked off in the opposite direction without even realising it.

“Geez, I really am lost...” a light blue Forest Fairy muttered to herself. It had only been a couple of days since she was banished from the Kokiri village. She had been wandering the forest aimlessly ever since, unable to find her way out. She knew nothing of the outside world, so she didn’t know how to get out of the forest.

All of a sudden, a rustling noise came from a large clump of bushes to the fairy’s right. She yelped in surprise, and started shaking.

“Umm... hello?” she called out nervously. She was wary, because she didn’t think there was anyone else in this forest. “Hello?” she called out again.

The bushes rustled even more, and then a figure emerged.

“Um... I was going north, right?” I said to myself.

I wasn’t so sure anymore. I had been walking for a long time now, and the woods only seemed to be getting thicker.

“Maybe I’m going the wrong way...” I wondered aloud. “... Nah, couldn’t be. I guess I’ll just keep going.”

I walked further and further and even further into the woods. They just kept getting thicker. I was really starting to have my doubts about the direction I was going. However, that suddenly didn’t matter anymore.

“EEEK! GET AWAY FROM MEEE!” a loud, squeaky voice squealed in fright.

I looked around in shock, and discerned the location of the scream.

“GET AWAY!” it called out again.

I dashed toward the voice as fast as I possibly could, and soon came upon a group of about five Stalchildren. They were surrounding a frantic Forest Fairy, and it looked like she was about to become their food. I drew my sword and quickly ran to her aid as the Stalchildren were getting ready to pounce.

I thrust my sword through the first one’s ribcage from behind it, and ripped my blade through its bones. The Stalchild shrieked in pain as it collapsed into a pile of lifeless bones, which turned to nothing but dust. The remaining four turned their attention away from the helpless fairy to face their buddy’s attacker.

One of them charged me and tried to tackle me. I side stepped and slashed right through its bones. This one, too, let out a screech before collapsing into dust. Two more attacked me at once from both sides. It looked like they were going to try to pin me down. Holding my sword out firmly, I cleaved through both Stalchildren at once with a spinning slice. The last one, now frightened of my strength, gave up and ran away.

“Oh, thank the Spirits, I’m saved...” the fairy said while letting out a large sigh of relief. “Thank you so much for saving me!”

“No problem!” I said cheerfully. “My name’s Alphonse, by the way.”

“I’m Zelda. So, Alphonse, what are you doing this deep in the woods?” Zelda asked me.

“Well, I’m... kinda lost. I’m trying to find my way out of the forest.” I explained.

“Ah, so we’re both in the same boat, huh.” she said.

“What do you mean? Aren’t you a Forest Fairy? Shouldn’t you be in the Kokiri village?” I asked her.

“Well, you see, I was banished from there because no Kokiri wanted me as their partner. Now I have nowhere to go, and I can never go back to the village.” she told me.

This came as a shock to me. “What? You were banished just because no one wanted you? Why would they banish you because of something so ridiculous?” I asked.

“Well, it couldn’t be helped. It’s the law. It’s always been like that...” Zelda said quietly.

I was silent for a few minutes. This whole situation angered me. So what if no one wanted her? She doesn’t have anywhere else to go, so why shouldn’t she be allowed to stay there? It isn’t fair! … That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure if there was anything I could do about it. It was none of my business, after all.

Zelda could notice that I was thinking heavily about something. “Alphonse? What’s wrong?”

I didn’t answer her right away. I knew it wasn’t my place to do anything, but when I thought about how I had nowhere to go at one time, and about how Rena saved me and gave me a place to live, I just couldn’t let this pass me by. Influenced by my own experiences, I felt compelled to do something about this. I no longer cared that I had no business interfering with the Kokiri. This was wrong, and I wanted to do something about it.

“Zelda.” I said.

“What?”

“Take me to the Kokiri village.” I asked.

“Huh?! Why? What’s gotten into you?” she asked.

“I’m going to try to get them to lift your banishment.” I told her.

Zelda was speechless. She suddenly burst out into a frantic fit. “Are you insane?! It was the Fairy Queen herself who banished me! You actually think you change her mind?! That’s crazy!” she shouted.

“I won’t know until I try.” I said.

“Well, I know! It’s not going to work! She wouldn’t even hear me out! There’s no way she’s going to listen to an outsider like you! Outsiders aren’t even allowed in the village! I’m already banished! If I were to return, especially with an outsider, who knows what they’ll do to me!” she yelled.

“I’m still going to try. Please take me there.” I said.

“No! I’m not going back to that place!” she asserted.

“Please take me!” I asked again.

“I said no!” she shouted. “Why do you even care so much, anyway? This is none of your business!”

“Because I know what it’s like to have nowhere left to go! If you had done something wrong, it would be different. But you’ve done nothing wrong. You don’t deserve to be banished, especially for such a stupid reason! This is wrong! I can’t just leave this alone! I have to at least try! So please, take me there!” I pleaded.

Zelda was astonished. She fluttered quietly in front of me for a few moments. Finally, she gave up and sighed. “Fine... I’ll take you. But don’t blame me if something bad happens!” she said firmly.

“Thank you!” I said.

Zelda then led me back to the Kokiri village.

“This is it...” Zelda said quietly.

We stood before two enormous trees covered in moss and vines. These trees formed a sort of natural gateway into the Kokiri village. From outside the gates, I could see fields of green grass and a few brightly colored flowers here and there carpeting the forest floor. They wrapped around large tree stumps which were covered in moss themselves. These stumps appeared to be modified into makeshift homes for the Kokiri kids. There was a trickling stream running through the center of the village, filled with glistening blue water. A small bridge made of wooden planks stretched across it, probably so the Kokiri could cross the stream. That, too, was covered in a lot of moss. At the other end of the village, across from the gates, was a gigantic, moss and vine-covered tree with a large, hollowed-out space in its trunk.

“Let’s go.” I said.

Zelda nervously nodded and followed me into the village. She stayed very close to me, like she was trying to hide. I could tell she was scared. I didn’t know what would happen either.

As we entered the village, all the Kokiri children who happened to be outside stopped what they were doing and stared at us. They were all clothed in green, and accompanied by a fairy. I could hear them whispering to each other as they stared at us while we walked.

“Who is that?”

“It’s an outsider... What’s he doing here?”

“Doesn’t he know outsiders aren’t allowed here?”

“Isn’t that Zelda with him? I thought she was banished.”

“Why did she come back?”

“How come she brought an outsider with her?”

"I bet she's roped him into getting us to let her back into the village."

"Wow, that's pathetic. Just because none of us wanted her, she went crying to some stranger?"

“The Fairy Queen isn’t gonna let her off easily this time...”

“Yeah, she’s gonna be furious...”

I could see that Zelda was shaking in terror. I didn’t want to let this continue. I stopped walking, and spoke.

“Where is the Fairy Queen? I have something I need to ask her.”

All of the Kokiri kids looked around amongst themselves, holding bewildered experessions.

“You think we’d tell you that?” one of them shouted.

“Yeah, outsiders aren’t allowed here! Get out!” another yelled.

“I’m not leaving until I speak with her.” I answered firmly.

“Who do you think you are?!” shouted one of the Kokiri kids.

“Yeah, you can’t just waltz in here and demand to see our Queen!” another chimed in.

“That’s enough.”​

As this soft and benevolent voice spoke, all of the Kokiri children became quiet. I noticed Zelda gasp.

“It’s her...” she breathed.

“Are you the Fairy Queen?” I called out.

“I am.” the mysterious voice answered. It seemed to resound throughout the entire forest. “Why have you come here, young one? And why have you brought a banished fairy with you?”

“I need to speak with you about that.” I answered.

There was a short pause.

“Very well. Approach the hollowed-out tree, young outsider.” the voice responded.

I walked across the wooden bridge with Zelda following closely behind me. We approached the hollowed-out tree together, and the Kokiri kids formed a sort of half circle around us. Having an audience only made me more nervous, but I certainly wasn't going to back out now.

Suddenly, a figure began to appear from within the large hollowed-out space in the tree. Fairy wings unfolded around what seemed to be a very beautiful young woman wrapped in ivy. Fairy dust swept from the wake of her wings and settled on the ground beneath her as she floated in midair in front of the tree.

“I am the Fairy Queen.” she said in the beautiful, benevolent voice I heard a few moments ago. “What is it you wished to ask me, child?”

I stepped forward. “Why did you banish Zelda? She did nothing wrong!”

I heard a Kokiri kid somewhere behind me murmur “Who does he think he is? That's none of his business!" Another one quickly shushed him.

“Zelda the Fairy has been banished because she remains undesired by the Kokiri folk. Therefore, by law she is eternally banished from the Kokiri village.” the Queen explained.

“But that’s wrong!” I pleaded. “So what if nobody wanted her? That’s no reason to kick her out! Please, lift her banishment! She doesn’t have anywhere else to go!”

“I am sorry, young one. A Forest Fairy’s purpose in life is to become a partner and guardian to one Kokiri child. No child has desired her. Therefore, she has no purpose for being. As such, she must be banished. Such is the law, as it has always been.” she told me.

“But why?” I asked. “That’s just so unfair! Why do the fairies have to live for that purpose alone? Why can’t they be allowed to just live their lives?”

“Because they were created for the purpose of becoming a guardian for a Kokiri child, and for that purpose alone. That is the reason I have created them. That is the reason for their existence. A fairy that cannot fulfil its purpose should not exist. However, I would not kill one of my own kind, so banishment is the only option. Such is the law.”

“But why does it have to be that way? She’s one of your own kind, right? How could you just abandon her like that?! Don’t you see how wrong that is?” I said angrily.

“It is the law, as it has always been. I’m sorry, but it cannot be changed. I will not lift her banishment.” she decided.

“But that’s not right!” I shouted.

“Hey! Watch how you address Her Highness!” I heard one of the Kokiri kids shout.

“Yeah, that’s right! Show some respect!” another added.

“That’s enough, Alphonse... It’s hopeless... Please... Let’s just go...” Zelda whimpered.

I knew she was not capable of it, but the tremble in her voice was unmistakable. If she were more than a ball of solid light, she would surely be crying. This only angered me further.

“Can’t you see how sad she is?! How can you just turn your back on her for such a stupid reason?! Don’t you care about her at all?!” I yelled.

“Watch it, outsider!” one of the Kokiri kids snapped.

“I am sorry. She is a fairy with no purpose.” the Fairy Queen repeated. “She must be banished. Such is the law.”

Suddenly, I lost it.

“FORGET THE LAW!” I screamed.

Everyone was completely speechless. All of the Kokiri kids, as well as Zelda, stared at me in disbelief. Even the Fairy Queen, who appeared incapable of losing her composure, was taken aback.

“She shouldn’t be made to suffer just because no one wanted her!” I shouted. “You say she has no purpose? She’s alive, right now! That’s all the purpose she needs! She should have the right to live her life for the sake of living! She shouldn’t be bound by your stupid rules! She deserves the chance to live a happy life! If you can’t even understand that much about one of your own kind,

“Then you’re not fit to be a Queen!”​

I finally quieted down. After all that shouting, I was out of breath. I stood there panting before the speechless Fairy Queen, next to the speechless Zelda, surrounded by the speechless Kokiri kids. It wasn't long before all hell broke loose.

“How dare you speak to Her Highness like that?!” screamed one of the Kokiri kids.

“Know your place, you stupid outsider!” another one bellowed.

“You think you can get away with such disrespect? We’ll teach you!” a third one shouted.

All of the Kokiri kids picked up rocks and began throwing them at us.

“Get out of here, you stupid outsider!” one of them yelled.

“Go away, and take that useless fairy with you!” yelled another one.

Zelda and I were showered with rocks. I was continuously being hit from nearly all sides. They were even aiming for Zelda.

“Go away! Go away!” they chanted.

“Alphonse...” Zelda sobbed as she buried her face into my jacket.

I said nothing. I just stood still amidst the constant hail of rocks.

“Go away! Go away!”

The Fairy Queen said nothing. She was still speechless. She did nothing to stop the Kokiri kids’ assault. She did nothing but watch in shock.

“Go away! Go away!”

Finally, I let out a small, quiet sob of my own. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. I was saddened by everything that was happening. I couldn’t believe the Kokiri kids could be so cruel to Zelda. I couldn’t believe the Fairy Queen would just abandon one of her own kind like this. This entire situation was disheartening.

“Go away! Go away!”

At last, I turned around, and carried the terrified Zelda in my arms. She was shaking with fear and sadness. We left the Kokiri village, covered in bruises and carrying defeat in our hearts. Still being showered by the rocks thrown by the Kokiri kids, the words “Go away!” echoed throughout the forest all around us, as well as in our minds.

“I’m so sorry, Alphonse...” Zelda apologized after we were a ways off from the village. “It’s because of me that you were treated so badly...”

“Don’t apologize. It wasn’t your fault. It was my choice to go there in the first place.” I told her.

I could tell Zelda was still upset.

“Besides, I had to try! I wouldn’t have felt satisfied if I didn’t at least try.” I said with a grin.

“But...” she began.

“Really, don’t worry about it! Since you have nowhere else to go, and the Kokiri won’t take you back, then there’s no other choice. Why don’t you stick with me from now on?”

Zelda seemed shocked. “Alphonse... Are you serious?” she asked quietly.

“Of course I am! You’ve got nowhere else to go, right? Besides, I think this is the perfect chance for you to begin living your own life! If you stick with me, you’ll be able to see new places and experience new things! Most of it will be new to me, too! We can share those experiences together, as friends! What do you say?” I asked.

Zelda was quiet for a few moments. Although there’d be no way for me to tell, I'm sure Zelda was smiling just then.

“Yeah! Sounds good!” she said at last.

“Then it’s decided! From now on, you and I are partners! Now, let’s set off!” I said enthusiastically.

“Right!” she agreed.

“... First thing’s first, though. We need to find a way out of this forest. Moss grows on the north side of trees, right? ... Okay, so judging by this, north is that way! If we keep going straight, we should make it out! Now let’s go!”

“Wait a second, Alphonse! You’re going the wrong way!”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“You just checked the tree! How can you possibly go the wrong way after just checking it?!”

“So... Then it’s this way?”

“That’s the way back to the Kokiri village! Geez, how can you be so uncoordinated? It’s this way!”

“That’s what I said the first time!”

“It is not! What is up with you?!”

“... Are you messing with me?”

“Argh, forget it! Just follow me!”

And so, Zelda and I began our journey together. It was a journey that would soon become a grand adventure of a lifetime.

An adventure of two friends.​

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks a lot, Ocarina_Link! I'm glad you liked it! Now then, back to the regular story. This next chapter is kinda short, but there isn't much else I can really put into it. It would be better to save it for the next chapter. Either way, I hope you all enjoy this chapter! ^^

Chapter Sixteen

It was about midday when Naomi, Firo and I arrived at Kakariko Village. The sun was high in the sky, making the snow-covered village glisten brilliantly.

“So this is Kakariko, eh...” Firo said to himself. “First I ever been ‘ere.”

“It’s not as magnificent as your town, but it’s very peaceful!” Naomi said.

“Eh. Too warm fer me here.” he replied.

“Heh heh. I bet.” I laughed.

“All righty, then. You two take care now, y’hear?” Firo said to us. “Come back to th’ village sometime. Yer always welcome!”

“Of course! Bye, Firo! And thanks for everything!” Naomi said as she waved.

"Thanks a lot for escorting us, Firo!" I said. “I hope we meet again someday!”

And so, Firo set off to return to his own village. He waved goodbye with a big grin on his face as he walked away. We watched as the back of our good friend got smaller and smaller in the distance until it was completely gone.

"Well, let's go see Oz." I suggested.

"Yeah. I hope he's doing okay. He must be worried sick. " Naomi said.

We walked down the snow covered street to Oz's clinic. While we walked, Naomi seemed more chipper than usual.

“You must be pretty happy.” I said.

“Of course! We’ve been gone for a whole day! After what happened, Oz has probably worried himself silly by now. I can’t wait to see him and let him know I’m okay!” she said cheerfully.

“Yeah. He must get worried pretty easily.” I guessed.

“Yeah, he’s always been like that. I don’t blame him, though...” she said.

Naomi suddenly became quite solemn. She stopped walking. I stopped too and faced her. She had a pretty melancholic expression on her face.

“You see... When I was little, my father died... My mother took care of me on her own, until she remarried with Oz. But it didn’t work out, so they divorced.”

“I’m sorry...” I said quietly.

“They ended up sharing custody of me. My mother lived in Snowhead Village at the time, and Oz lived here, of course. I ended up having to go back and forth between the two towns every other week. But then, while I was with Oz here in Kakariko...” Naomi bit her lip and then continued. “... Vaati destroyed Snowhead Village. My mother was killed.”

I was shocked. I had no idea she lost her mother to Vaati. Having lost both my parents to that demon, I could identify with her.

“I’m sorry to hear it.” I said softly.

“Thanks...” Naomi said with a soft smile. “Oz is always worried about me because of that. He’s all I have left, and he doesn’t want me to ever feel lonely...”

“I see...” I said.

“That’s also the reason I...” she began. She started blushing. “That’s also the reason I hugged you like that after you told me you’d beaten Vaati. I was just so happy to hear that that monster was finally dead...”

“Oh...” I said quietly. “Well, you know...”

“Hm?” she asked. She looked up at me and saw that I was blushing a little.

“You know... You have me now, too...” I said in an obviously shy tone.

Naomi seemed a little surprised at first, but she smiled and said “Right! Thank you, Alphonse.”

I smiled back. I was really starting to fall in love with this girl. And I thought Naomi was feeling the same way, too. I was starting to feel really happy. I felt like this feeling was going to last forever... but it soon ended.

“Naomi?!” a voice from behind us called out.

Both of us turned to see a woman who appeared to be in her thirties standing there in the snow. She was wrapped in winter clothes and wore an astonished look on her face.

“Ah, Miss Mazenda!” Naomi said cheerfully.

“Oh, thank goodness you’re okay! I was so worried when I heard what happened yesterday... I’m so glad you’ve returned unharmed!” Miss Mazenda fussed.

“Thank you! It’s all thanks to Alphonse, after all!” she said, indicating me with a smile.

“Hello.” I greeted her.

“So you’re the Alphonse I’ve heard about? The one who defeated Vaati? The Hero of Spirits?” Miss Mazenda asked. I nodded. “I see! It’s an honor to meet you!”

“Oh, uh... Thank you.” I said shyly. I still wasn’t used to people treating me with such high regard.

“So, how is Oz doing? I hope he hasn’t been worrying himself too much!” Naomi asked with a laugh.

Miss Mazenda’s expression suddenly turned somber. Naomi and I noticed that something was off. “... I figured you would be asking that.” she said gravely.

“... Miss Mazenda? What’s the matter?” Naomi asked. There was a hint of concern in her voice. I was a little concerned too. It was obvious that something was wrong.

“Did something happen?” I asked.

Miss Mazenda’s expression became increasingly pained. She lowered her eyes to the ground. It seemed like she didn’t want to tell us.

“Miss Mazenda?” Naomi asked again.

Finally, Miss Mazenda looked back up at us and spoke softly. “You see... Oz, he’s... He’s dead.”

“... What?”

Later that day, I walked to the village’s grocery store by myself. Naomi had asked me to go there for her and get her something to drink. I agreed, knowing that what she really wanted was some time alone.

The late afternoon sky was stained with a morbid scarlet. The gloomy sunlight washed over the entire village, seeming to coat everything in sadness. The village had just lost a beloved person and doctor, but for Naomi, she had lost her stepfather. She lost the last person she had left.

As I walked through the snow to the store, I thought back on what Miss Mazenda had told us. She said Oz’s body was found in his clinic when a townsperson came in looking for a checkup. Oz’s body was laying at the back of the room against the wall, with his throat torn open. The wall behind him was splattered with blood.

I reached the grocery store. I walked inside. Hearing the doorbell ching, the store clerk looked up to see me.

“Hello. How can I help you?” he asked.

His tone seemed a little too dreary to attract customers, but I understood why. Even this man was saddened by Oz’s death. It was something that affected the entire village. Oz was a well-loved man, after all.

“I’d like a juice, please.” I said quietly.

The clerk indicated where on one of the shelves I could find them, and so I looked. There were a few different flavors, but I didn’t know which Naomi liked. I just picked one of the small juice cartons at random and brought it to the counter. I paid for it, the clerk put it in a small paper bag, and I left the store as he told me to have a nice day.

Walking back to Naomi’s house, I couldn’t help but think about Oz again. He helped me track down Vaati, encouraged me, and he saved my life when I was severely wounded. I owed him a lot. I also thought about how much not only Naomi but the entire village loved him. I couldn’t understand why someone would murder him.

I suddenly stopped walking. A horrible realization came over me.

“Was it because of me...?” I said to myself quietly.

I shook my head and kept walking. But I knew it wasn’t too far-fetched. When I saved Naomi from that group of thugs yesterday, their leader, Gray, had told me if I were to kill him, his friends would hunt me down. Since it was the place Naomi was taken from, it would make sense that Oz’s clinic would be the first place they look. That’s where I’d start looking. Even though I couldn’t be sure, I was starting to feel responsible for Oz’s death.

I arrived back at Naomi’s house. I put all of these thoughts out of my mind and walked in.

“I’m back.” I said as I opened the door.

After closing it behind me, I looked around and saw Naomi sitting on the bed. She looked over at me with a solemn expression, without saying anything.

“... Um, I got you your juice...” I began, “... But, I didn’t know which kind you liked, so I...”

While I was talking, she suddenly got up and ran over to me. She hugged me tightly. I was a little startled and almost fell backwards. I also dropped the paper bag along with the juice carton.

“Uh...Um... Na-Naomi?” I asked nervously.

“Alphonse...” she said quietly.

Naomi started to sob. I started to panic, trying to figure out a way to calm her down. I’d never been very good with these kinds of situations. She tightened her grip around me.

“Alphonse... I can’t...” she said through her sobbing.

“Uhm... Huh?” I asked in a panic.

“I can’t...” she said again. She looked up at me. Tears were rolling down her cheeks. “I can’t believe... he’s really dead...”

I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know how to deal with this. All I could say was, “... I’m here.”

Naomi shoved her face into my jacket and cried. I put my arms around her to comfort her as she let it all out. It was the only thing I could do.

“... I’m here.” I said again.

When she finally finished crying, she said quietly “Yeah... You are... I still have you, Alphonse...” She sniffled and looked up at me. “Can I still do it? What you said yesterday... Can I still come with you?”

“Of course.” I told her.

Naomi finally smiled again. “Good... Because... I don’t want you to leave me, Alphonse...” she said quietly.

Throb. When she said that, my heart skipped a beat.

“I don’t ever want to be alone again...” she said as she hugged me tighter. “Promise you won’t leave me alone?”

I was really caught off guard. I had no intention to turn her down to begin with, but how could I possibly say anything else?

“I promise.”

- SOMEWHERE IN THE SNOW REALM -

"So, did the old man have any information?" Vino asked.

"He didn't know anything." the man in the tan overcoat responded.

"I hired you to find and kill the Hero of Spirits, Byrne. This is to take revenge for Gray's death! I won't tolerate failures from you!" Vino shouted.

"I can't help it if he didn't know anything." Byrne retorted.

"Hmph. Fine, then. Do it the old fashioned way. Go back to the village and ask around there to see if anyone has seen the Hero of Spirits. And when you find him... Make sure he suffers!" Vino yelled.

"Yes, sir." Byrne said. He walked away.

Vino stood for a while in the snow. "Alphonse... I promise you, you will pay for what you’ve done..."

Last edited:

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Very good story! I like the running gag of "You're going the wrong way" and the ending is a nice full circle ending. I also like how very well structured it is, you certainly do have a future in writing.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you so much, Laz! It really means a lot! ^_^ Okay, the next two chapters aren't going to be very action-packed, since they're mainly for strengthening the bond between Alphonse and Naomi. Although, I'm not too fond of writing romance, so I'm trying to keep the mushy, lovey-dovey stuff toned down as much as I can afford. That said, there is still a noticeable romance going on between them.

All that aside, I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Chapter Seventeen

The following morning, Oz’s funeral was held at the town’s graveyard, in the eastern side of town. Everyone in the village was in attendance. The rising morning sun was bright and golden, bathing the entire cemetery in light.

Everyone was wearing black clothes save for Naomi and myself. We were ready to leave after the funeral. I was wearing my hoodie and yellow scarf, and Naomi was wearing a light blue winter coat and a purple scarf.

Mostly everyone here was crying. They were all walking up to Naomi to tell her how sorry they were for her loss. Lots of people took turns giving eulogies. Every one of them was moving. Standing next to Naomi, I could tell that hearing such kind words about Oz made her happy.

It was finally time to bury the casket. Naomi squeezed my hand as she watched it being lowered into the ground. After the burial was finished and the funeral ceremony was complete, everyone returned home. Naomi and I stood in front of the grave for a little while longer. The headstone read:

OZ BEZARIOUS
BRILLIANT DOCTOR AND LOVING STEPFATHER
REST IN PEACE​

“Are you ready to go?” I asked.

“... There’s still one last thing I want to do.” she told me.

She and I walked back to Oz’s clinic. She wanted to see it one last time.

As she stood in the snow in front of the building, she quietly said “... I have so many memories of this place. I’m really going to miss it.” Finally, Naomi turned around and said “... Okay, I’m ready to go now, Alphonse.”

I nodded. Together we walked down the street to the south entrance of town. On our way, we passed Miss Mazenda.

“Alphonse! Naomi!” she said as she approached us.

“Hello, Miss Mazenda.” Naomi greeted her.

“Hi.” I said.

“I’m glad I caught up to you two!” she said. “I heard that you were leaving, and I wanted to say goodbye.”

“Thank you. I’ll really miss this place.” Naomi said.

“I just hope you’ll stay safe. For Oz’s sake.”

“She’ll be safe. I’ll make sure of it.” I said.

“Oh, I know you will! Alright, you two be careful now! And come back sometime!” Miss Mazenda said as she waved.

We waved back and continued on. We reached the southern gates. Naomi took one last look at the village before we set off.

“Goodbye... Oz...” she said under her breath.

As we walked through the wide-open, snow-covered fields of the Snow Realm, Naomi asked about where we were headed.

“Where are we going first?” Naomi asked me.

“Well, first we’re going to the Forest Realm. I want to go home and let everyone know I’m all right.” I told her.

“Everyone? Oh yeah, you mentioned before that you wanted to get back to your friends. Do you have any family, too?” she asked.

“Well, sort of. My friends are close enough that I consider them my family.”

“That reminds me, didn’t you tell me when we first met that your guardian is a doctor?” she asked.

“Yeah, that’s Rena. She took care of me ever since my parents died when I was six.”

“Oh, I didn’t know about that... I’m sorry...”

“Thanks.”

We stopped talking for a bit. Naomi seemed reluctant to ask, but she did anyway.

“Can you... Can you tell me how they died?”

“They were killed when Vaati destroyed Aboda Village nine years ago.” I said.

Naomi clasped her hands over her mouth in shock. “... You lost your parents to Vaati too?” I nodded. “... I see. You’ve been through the same pain I have... You know, Alphonse, you’re really strong. To be able to move on like this... I wish I could be like you.” she said with a smile.

I started getting flustered. “I’m... I’m not that strong... I mean, it took me awhile to get over it... It’s thanks to Rena that I can smile like this today.”

“I see. Rena sounds like a nice person.” she said as we continued walking.

“Yeah, she is. She taught me all sorts of things. She even taught me how to use a sword.”

“She’s the one that taught you?” She paused for a bit. “So is she really strong?"

“She is. She’s a lot better at fighting than I am. I don't even compare.” I said.

“She really sounds like a wonderful person... I can’t wait to meet her!” she said with a grin. “So who else is there?”

“Well, there’s Zelda. She’s a Forest Fairy, and my closest friend. We’ve been partners for three years now. She can get a little fussy, but she’s a reliable companion.”

“Because she keeps you from getting lost?” Naomi asked jokingly.

“Ah- That... How did you...?” I asked. I couldn’t believe how close to the mark she was.

“Wait, you mean I was right?” she began laughing. “I was only kidding, but I’m surprised it wasn’t far from the truth!”

“Yeah yeah, I get it. I suck at directions. Can we move on?” I said, embarrassed.

“Oh come on, don’t get upset! Besides, I actually think it’s kind of cute!” she said.

- Cute? She thinks it’s cute?

My face started to flush with color, which made her laugh even more.

“Sorry, sorry, I didn’t mean to embarrass you!” she laughed.

“No, it’s... It’s okay.” I said shyly.

We kept walking. We were getting closer to the Forest Realm. I could tell from how warm it was starting to get.

“We’re getting closer.” I said.

“We’re not lost, are we?” Naomi asked.

“... Joking again?” I asked.

“Sort of.” she replied with a smirk.

- Ha ha.

“Don’t worry. It’s getting warmer, so I know we’re going the right way.” I assured her.

“Ah, now that you mention it, it is getting warmer...” she observed. “So, is it just you, Zelda and Rena?” she asked.

“Well, no. There’s a little girl named Saria, too. Zelda and I have known her and her family for a year now, but her parents died when Vaati destroyed the capital city a few days ago. Rena’s taking care of her now, just like she did for me.” I explained.

“Oh, I see... I’m sorry to hear about that...” she paused for a bit. “Vaati sure hurt a lot of people, didn’t he...”

“Yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised if we meet other people who’ve been hurt by him.”

“Well, now Vaati’s dead, and it’s all thanks to you! So, I’m sure those people can be happy now, knowing that the nightmare is finally over.” she said.

I thought about it for a bit. “Yeah, I guess...”

After walking for another hour, we neared the border between the Snow Realm and the Forest Realm. The farther south we walked, the less snow there was. Naomi was looking around with beaming eyes.

“Oh, wow... I’ve never seen so much green grass before!” she said excitedly.

“You’ve never left the Snow Realm?” I asked.

She shook her head energetically. “This is my first time! Everything is so green! And it’s so warm! It’s really nice.”

We soon reached the village of Whittleton. This was the village I stopped at before heading to the Snow Realm. It was close to the Forest Realm’s border, but there wasn’t a patch of snow around. It was like we crossed from winter to spring in an instant.

When we arrived, a townie spotted me and made a big commotion.

“Hey everybody! It’s Alphonse! Alphonse is back!” he shouted.

In no time at all, Naomi and I were surrounded by the kind-hearted villagers, all trying to thank me and congratulate me at the same time.

“You did great, kid!” one of them said.

“We knew you could beat Vaati!” said another.

“You’re amazing!” gushed a third.

“Thanks, everybody...” I said nervously.

“Who’s your friend?” one of them asked.

“Hello. I’m Naomi!” she greeted them in a very friendly manner.

I heard someone in the crowd say “Woah, man she’s cute!” and another say “That Alphonse sure is lucky!” and I couldn’t help but laugh.

The townspeople let us rest up for a little while and change into lighter clothes. I changed into a white, short-sleeved hoodie and a fresh pair of black pants. I was waiting to see what Naomi was changing into. I was standing outside the house of the village elder, who let us use it to change our clothes.

Soon, the door opened. Naomi came out in her new clothes. My jaw nearly dropped.

“Alphonse!” she called out excitedly. “So, how do I look?” she asked, spinning around once.

She was wearing a collared, baby blue t-shirt and a knee-high skirt that was a darker blue. But what caught my attention was her great figure. Not only that, but the outfit looked incredible on her.

All I could spit out was “You look amazing...”

“Aw, thanks! I really like these clothes! I’ve never worn ones like these before...” she said. “They’re so light, but they’re comfortable! And this weather is incredible! I’ve never felt warmth like this before! I really like it! And the scenery...” she said while spinning around as she walked up to me. “The scenery is so beautiful! I’ve never seen so much green in one place!”

Naomi looked at me with big, beaming eyes. “Thank you so much for taking me along with you, Alphonse! I’m so glad I got to see all of this!”

“You... You’re welcome...” I said shyly.

Naomi continued to look around, her eyes full of wonder. I couldn't help but get the feeling that she was diving into this new adventure to keep from thinking about Oz. I thought that maybe going to new places would be good for her.

As we enjoyed ourselves, the village elder approached us. “Finished changing, I see.”

“That’s right.” I said, turning to face him.

“Thank you so much for the clothes!” Naomi said excitedly.

“Think nothing of it.” the elder said with a smile. “You two are welcome to stay a while longer, if you’d like.”

“Thanks, but no thanks. I’d like to get home as soon as possible. Everyone’s worried about me, after all.” I told him.

“I see. I suppose this is goodbye, then.” he said, bowing his head. “Good luck with everything, Alphonse. Naomi.”

“Thank you!” we said in unison.

Naomi and I left the village together, heading for Rena’s cabin. As we left, the village people called out to us.

“Goodbye, you two!”

“Come back anytime!”

“See you later!”

We waved back at them and continued on.

“Those people were really nice, huh?” Naomi said as we walked.

“Yeah, I know. I stopped there before I went to the Snow Realm a few days ago.” I told her.

“Oh, really? That explains why they knew you.” She paused for a bit. “... I hate to bring this up again, but do you know where you’re going?” she asked.

“Yes.” I said. “Rena’s cabin is the only place I never get lost going to.”

“Really?” she asked.

“Yeah. I could never get lost going to the only home I have to return to.” I said.

- KAKARIKO VILLAGE -

Miss Mazenda was walking home holding a bag of groceries in her arms.

“Excuse me, ma’am.” a gruff voice asked.

Miss Mazenda turned around to see a large man in a tan overcoat. “Yes? What is it?”

“Do you know where I can find the Hero of Spirits?” Byrne asked.

“Oh, Alphonse! He left the village a while ago. I believe he was heading south.” she explained.

“Thank you.” Byrne said as he turned around and headed for the south gate.

“Excuse me, why do you want to find him?” Miss Mazenda asked.

“I wanted to meet him. He is the Hero of Spirits, after all.” he answered without turning around.

“Oh, I see. I hope you find him!” Miss Mazenda called out, never realizing she was speaking to the man who murdered Oz.

Byrne left the village through the south gate, thinking to himself how easy it was to find out where his target was headed. Though Vino wanted Alphonse dead for killing Gray, Byrne had no such grudge against him. For Byrne, this was just business...

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would say certain things but they're likely to get the inaprorpro talk from certain people. In the friendly tongue: this story is absolutely amazing. The only problem I have (that others may not feel) is that the progression at times from going to one villain to the next felt a little slow and at others it felt a bit rushed. I couldn't begin to tell you how to fix it as I myself have pacing problems, but it's a job well done anyhow! Keep 'em coming! :yes:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you so much, Van! Your feedback is much appreciated! :) All right guys, it's time for chapter eighteen. I really hope you enjoy it! Please tell me what you think. I love constructive criticism!

Enjoy! ^-^

Chapter Eighteen

It was mid-afternoon when Rena’s cabin was finally in sight.

“We’re here!” I said enthusiastically. “... Home sweet home.”

“So this is it?” Naomi observed. “What a nice-looking place.”

Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice call out my name excitedly. “Alphonse!”

It was none other than Zelda. She flew over to me in a hurry. “I can't believe you left me behind to go off and fight Vaati! How could you do a thing like that?” she fussed.

“Yeah, sorry about that. But would you have wanted to face Vaati?” I said.

“Uwahhh... Good point. But still, you're too reckless. We were really worried about you, after all." Zelda paused, as if she were shaking her head. Then she noticed Naomi. "Ah?! Who’s this?” she said.

“I’m Naomi. It’s nice to meet you! You must be Zelda. Alphonse told me about you!” she greeted politely.

“Hello! Yes, I’m Zelda. It’s nice to meet you, too! But enough about that, I’ve got to go back and tell Rena and Saria!” and without giving either of us a chance to answer, she flew off back toward the house.

“... Is she always this uppity?” Naomi asked.

“Not usually.” I said.

I shrugged and led Naomi to the house. I noticed one of the windows was open. I guessed that’s how Zelda got inside. It’s not like she can open a door, after all.

Once we reached the front door, I opened it and said “I’m home.”

All of a sudden, Naomi and I were met with a really loud welcoming.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALPHONSE!”​

This startled both of us. Especially me, since I’d already forgotten my birthday was two days ago.

Rena, Zelda and Saria all stood in front of us with smiles on their faces. Saria ran up to me and hugged me. “Congratulations, Alphonse, although it’s two days late.” Rena said with a smirk.

“Thanks, Rena.” I said, hugging Saria back.

“Good work defeating Vaati, too. I’m very proud of you.” she continued. Then she noticed Naomi. “Who’s your friend?” she asked.

“I’m Naomi. Nice to meet you!” she said, shaking Rena’s hand. She said hello to Saria, too.

“I met her while I was in the Snow Realm.” I told her.

“I see...” Rena said. She suddenly started grinning and began to pat my head mockingly. “You’re a hundred years too early to be bringing a girl home with you, Alphonse.” she said jokingly.

Both mine and Naomi’s faces went bright red. “It-it’s not like that!” I protested. Naomi didn’t say anything. But she was blushing even more than me.

“Oh, relax, I was only kidding!” she said with a laugh. Zelda was laughing too.

“Is she your girlfriend, Al?” Saria asked innocently. This only made Rena and Zelda laugh harder. It made me and Naomi blush even more.

We gave each other a quick, awkward glance, but didn’t say anything more.

“Well, we have cake ready. Why don’t you two come into the kitchen and have a seat? I’d love to hear all about your trip to the Snow Realm.” Rena said kindly.

Both of us nodded, and we all walked into the kitchen.

For what felt like hours, we sat at the table and talked. We each had plenty of cake-- except for Zelda, of course. I sometimes felt bad for her, since she can’t eat anything.

“This cake is delicious!” Naomi said.

“I’m glad you like it. I baked it myself.” Rena said.

“I helped!” Saria chimed in.

While we ate, I told Rena, Zelda and Saria all about what happened while I was in the Snow Realm.

“I see... So you became the Hero of Spirits. … Your parents would be proud. And you know I’m very proud of you, Alphonse.” Rena said.

“You’re the best, Al!” Saria said.

“You’re too reckless.” Zelda added.

- Of course she would be the one to say that...

I also told them about the incident with Naomi’s kidnapping, as well as about how I helped the Anouki, and also about my fight with Ghirahim in the oil mines. We also talked about how Naomi’s stepfather, Oz, was killed, and about how Naomi wanted to come with me. There was a lot to talk about.

The whole time we talked, Rena had a very distinctive expression on her face. She looked really happy; more happy than I’d ever seen her look in a long time. The only way I could think to describe it was... the pride of a loving mother.

Late that night, long after dinner was over, Saria went to sleep in her room, which is what used to be my room. Zelda was with her. Rena was in her study, probably reading. It was her favorite pastime, after all. I wasn’t inside, though.

I was standing outside, just staring up at the night sky. My mind was whirling with thoughts.

Even though I became the Hero of Spirits just three days ago, I’d already been forced into battle after battle. A lot of times, I almost died. I put Naomi in danger, and I made enemies with the Demons as well as with Gray’s friends. It was the heavy burden that came with the title. Even so, though I had all this weight on my shoulders, I was still a normal person. I could have a normal dinner with my family, and have a normal birthday, and have a normal relationship, too. Even though I had a responsibility to end the Great War between Malladus and the Spirits of Light, I could still have a normal life.

Thinking about that made me happy. I was glad I could still be a normal, sixteen-year-old boy, despite having so much responsibility. It was a great relief for me.

“... Alphonse?”

Naomi’s shy voice caught my attention. I turned around to see her standing behind me. She looked like she had something serious on her mind.

“What is it?” I asked.

“There’s something... I’ve been meaning to talk to you about.” she said nervously. She started blushing when she said that.

Gulp. My heart started beating faster.

“You see... Alphonse, I...” she started. Her face flushed with even more color.

My heart was pounding so hard it felt like it was about to burst out of my chest.

“There you are, Alphonse!”

I let out a large breath as Naomi and I jumped in surprise. It was Zelda.

“I was looking for you! ... What’s with that look?” she asked me.

I was giving her a look that screamed Why did you have to interrupt now, of all times?

Naomi’s face was bright red. It seemed like she didn’t want to talk anymore.

- Oh great. Thanks for killing the moment, Zelda.

“What do you want?” I asked in the most annoyed tone of voice possible. Naomi was still blushing like crazy.

Zelda was soon able to read the atmosphere, and immediately started fussing. “... Oh! Oh my gosh, I’m sorry! I... I didn’t mean to interrupt... I guess it can wait...” she said in the most apologetic tone of voice possible.

My business can’t wait.”​

All three of us looked around for the source of the gruff voice. We soon saw a large man in a tan overcoat standing before us. He looked very serious.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“My name is Byrne. Are you Alphonse, the Hero of Spirits?” he asked.

- Straight to the point, huh?

“I am.” I answered.

“Good. Just the person I wanted to see.” he said. He began to approach me.

I started getting wary. Lately when people wanted to see me, it was because they wanted to kill me. However, right now I was defenseless. I’d left the Lokomo Sword inside the house.

Unfortunately for me, I was right to be wary.

Byrne suddenly lashed out at me with a large, clawed gauntlet on his right hand. I didn’t notice it earlier since he had it concealed behind his overcoat. But just because I didn’t notice it right away didn’t mean I couldn’t dodge it.

I quickly leapt back as soon as I saw him lurch forward, and his swipe only struck empty air.

“Go back inside and get my sword!” I asked. Naomi nodded and hurried back to the house. Zelda stayed by my side.

“What do you want with Alphonse?” Zelda asked.

“I’ve been hired to kill him by a man named Vino. He wants you dead for killing Gray, Alphonse.” Byrne explained.

- So, I was right. Gray's friends are after me.

“You know, it was a real pain to find you.” Byrne continued. “I’m just lucky that woman in Kakariko Village knew where you were headed. She was certainly more useful than that old man in the clinic.”

I froze up. I couldn’t tell who “that woman” referred too, but I knew who the old man he mentioned was without a doubt.

“So it was you...” I breathed in shock.

“... You did it?” I heard Naomi say behind me.

I turned around to see her standing there with my sword.

“Naomi...” I said quietly.

“You killed Oz?” she said softly. “... You killed my stepfather?” Her eyes started to well up with tears.

Byrne said nothing. Zelda was quiet too. I couldn’t bring myself to speak.

“Why would you do that? … Oz was a doctor. He helped people.... What did he ever do to you?” she became frantic. “How could you kill my stepfather?! He didn’t do anything to deserve this! Give him back! Give me back Oz!” she screamed.

Naomi collapsed to her knees sobbing. For a while, all of us said nothing. Byrne finally broke the silence.

“I am sorry I had to kill your stepfather. I had nothing against him. He simply did not know where the Hero of Spirits was. He told me that you and Alphonse had not yet returned to the village. I killed him because I couldn’t have him warn you about me. However, he did say that he had no regrets. He said that since I was looking for Alphonse, it had to mean he saved you. He said since he knew you were safe, he had no more regrets.” Byrne said solemnly.

“He... He said that?” Naomi said through her sobs.

“Oz...” I said quietly.

“Like I said, I had no grudge against him. It was just business.” Byrne concluded.

I clenched my fist and walked over to Naomi. I knelt down and hugged her. “I promise it’ll be okay. I won’t let him get away with this. So please, don’t cry.” I told her sweetly.

“Alphonse...” she said through her tears.

I took my sword from her and stood back up. “Go back inside, okay? I don’t want you to have to see this.” I asked her.

Naomi wiped her eyes and nodded. She started to get up.

I turned back around to face Byrne. “Byrne.” I said. “If there’s one thing I hate, it’s people like you. I hate it that there are people out there who will kill for money. And I hate it that there are people who will pay someone to commit murder. And I hate it even more that you can pass it off as 'just business'! I may have killed Gray, as well as others, but that doesn’t mean I’m proud of it!”

I drew my sword and pointed it at him. “A life is a life! It’s not something you should be able to take away so easily! When you kill people, it hurts others! You make people suffer in sadness! That's not something anyone should be proud of, or find easy! And that’s why I’m going to defeat you!” I prepared myself to fight.

“I’m going to make you understand just how precious life is!”​

Byrne and Zelda were speechless. Naomi stood behind me in awe. I heard her whisper, “Thank you, Alphonse...” before running inside the house.

“I see.” Byrne said. “So this is the Hero of Spirits. You are true to your title.” Byrne held his gauntlet at the ready. “Very well, then. Show me the power of a sacred hero, Alphonse! Just try to make me understand!” he taunted.

I tightened my grip on my sword. Zelda floated next to me.

“You ready, Alphonse?” she asked.

“Yeah. Let’s do this, Zelda.” I nodded.

“We’ll fight together, just like always.” we said in unison.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom