• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art The Hero of Spirits

I caught up through Chapter Four. In both plot and how well it is written, it gets better as it goes. It started good, and it keeps on getting better.

I'll probably catch up on the rest of the chapters tomorrow. I'm anxious to read them. Good story!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you once again, Hero of Time! Well, enjoy the next chapter everyone.

Chapter Seven

“You’re... Malladus?” I asked in fear.

“That’s right.” he answered. “I am the Demon King.”

Malladus appeared as a male in his twenties. He had pointed ears like Vaati, the characteristic of a Demon. He wore a white jacket with a popped collar, unzipped halfway down. He wore tan samurai trousers and black boots, and he had black cloth faulds wrapped around his waist. He was tall and lean, with pitch black hair and eyes a bloodier red than Vaati's.

“You know, Alphonse, I’ve been dying to meet you.” Malladus said.

“What? Me? Why would you...?” I asked as my voice trailed off.

Before I knew what happened, Malladus was right in front of me, just a few inches from my face. I flinched slightly, but did not move an inch. I was too scared to move at all.

“I have a feeling that you will be a major player in the war.” he explained.

“What? Me?” I said in shock.

“Yes. Alphonse, there is more to you than even you know about.” he said.

He began to grin. I was becoming progressively more nervous, although I was curious about what he said.

“What... What are you getting at?” I asked uneasily.

He backed off from me, but I was still unable to relax. “I mean that you have the potential to drastically affect this war. In fact, by defeating Vaati, you already have affected it!”

“But... You’re the one who killed Vaati.” I pointed out.

“Yes, I did finish him off for you...” he said, turning a lazy glance at Vaati’s dismembered remains behind him. “... However, all I did was dispose of a pile of garbage that already on the verge of death. You defeated Vaati.”

I just watched him quietly. Malladus noticed the concern in my expression.

“My, you look quite frightened. Don’t worry, I’m not here to kill you.” he assured me. I finally felt myself begin to breathe again upon hearing this. “I just wanted to meet you, nothing more." Malladus turned around and walked away. “I look forward to seeing how things turn out with you. I’ll see you again someday, Alphonse.” His last word echoed as he vanished.

I let out a great sigh of relief, but my fear did not subside. My thumping heart could not be calmed, even as I clutched my chest. That was the most afraid I'd been in my entire life. Standing before the Demon King himself, it was obvious that he could have killed me as simply as blinking. It was a miracle I was still alive.

- He says I could be a major player in the war... There has to be some mistake. I can't be that special...

I shook my head to relieve the spinning thoughts. Now was not the time to think about this. I was just happy to be alive. But, then it hit me; I was left all alone in a snowy tundra in the middle of the night, severely wounded.

- I have to get back to Kakariko Village, and fast, or I really am going to die...

I limped through the snow as quickly as I could. I left a trail of blood through the snow as I struggled to get back to the village.

- Come on... I’m almost there...

My vision began to fade.

- Damn it... Come on... I can’t afford to die here...

I collapsed into the snow, a few miles from the village. My limbs felt stiff. I couldn’t move. All the while, my vision was fading faster and faster.

- Damn it... Get up... Get up!

I was screaming at my body to stand up and keep moving, but the cold locked my joints in place. I just couldn’t move.

- Come on! I can’t die here! Zelda and Rena and Saria are still waiting for me! I can’t... die here...

My consciousness finally slipped away.

My vision slowly began to return to me. Before long, it became clear that I was staring up at a wooden ceiling.

- I... was saved?

I quickly became aware that I was laying in a bed. I tried to sit up, but I felt a sharp pain in my gut. It was where Vaati stabbed me. I cringed from the pain, and as I did, a wet towel fell from my forehead onto my lap. I then noticed that my left arm was wrapped in a cast. It must have been broken in several places. After shaking that thought from my mind, I decided to look around.

The room was small, and looked like part of a cabin. Across the room was an empty coat rack, with my sword propped up against the wall next to it. The wall at the back of the room contained a fireplace, which was lit. A pot seeming to contain soup was cooking over the fire. On the opposite end of the room from that wall was the door. It was in the far left corner, near the coat rack.

- This doesn’t look like a hospital... Then whose house am I in?

It was just then that the door opened. I practically jumped out of the bed.

“Oh, Alphonse, you’re awake!”

“Naomi?” I said in surprise.

She rushed over to me, placing the bag she was carrying next to the bed. She took the towel off of my lap and wrung it out over the bucket of warm water next to the bed.

“You need to lie down.” she said sweetly as she gently eased me back down. She placed the towel back on my forehead.

“Th-Thank you.” I said. “So, where is this?” I asked.

“You’re in my house. Oz didn’t have an open room in the clinic, so after he treated your injuries, we brought you here.” she explained as she walked across the room to the coat rack. She removed her winter coat and hung it up.

“Oh... Sorry for all the trouble.”

“Oh, it’s no trouble, really!” she said, smiling.

As she walked back over to me, I noticed how great her figure was. I was then reminded of how stunned I was by her when we first met. I began to blush a little.

“Oh, no, is your fever acting up again?” she fussed.

- She thinks I’m blushing because of a fever?

“N-no, it’s not... I’m all right.” I said. “So, how long have I been here?” I asked.

“About a day.” she told me as she pulled out a light gray hoodie from the bag she brought in. “Here, this is for you. Your other jacket was kind of ripped up, so I bought you a new one.”

“Oh, thanks!” I said. I wanted to try it on right away, but the cast on my arm was in the way. "I guess I'll have to wait for this cast to come off before I can wear it, huh?" I sighed.

"Yeah." Naomi said. "Anyway, Alphonse... About those wounds?"

“Yeah?”

“You got them in your fight with Vaati, didn’t you?”

“That’s right.”

“So you really fought him?!” she exclaimed. “Did you... Did you kill him?”

“Yeah.” I told her.

Naomi’s shock-filled stare turned into a huge wave of awe.

“Oh, Alphonse, you really beat him! That’s amazing! You’re incredible!” she said as she hugged me.

My face went completely red as she hugged me.

“Oh, is that your fever again?” she asked worriedly.

“N-no, it’s...” I started.

“Eh, oh well. If it’s not your fever, then I guess I don’t need to worry.” she said as she let go of me.

“So, do you know how long it'll take for my arm to heal?” I asked, trying to change the subject. My face was still a little red.

“Oz said it should take around six weeks.” she answered.

“I see...” I said, feeling a little downcast.

- That's quite a while. I'm really gonna make Zelda and Rena wait.

“We can't really afford to wait six weeks, can we?”​

Naomi and I jumped in surprise at the sound of this voice. All of a sudden, a golden light enveloped the cast around my left arm.

“What the-” I started to say.

Just then, the cast burst off my arm, and my arm was completely healed.

“Whoa!” both of us exclaimed in shock.

“My arm... It’s as good as new!” I said in surprise.

Not only that, but I could feel that the pain in my gut was gone, as well.

“But... But how?!” Naomi wondered.

“You’re welcome.”​

That same anonymous voice spoke again, but this time it had a sarcastic tone to it. Naomi and I looked around, and then we saw where the voice was coming from. Someone else was in the room.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“And how did you get in here?” Naomi added.

That was something I wondered myself. Neither of us noticed this person come in. Although, I was more concerned with who this person was than how she got in.

This person was an older woman, with rosy hair held up in a strangely shaped bun. She had a slanted nose and black eyes that seemed very pure and serene. Her body was kind of small and dressed in violet robes, and her arms were crossed at her chest. She was sitting in what looked like a small, rounded wagon, but it only had two wheels. On this strange wagon was a depiction of half a gear enclosing a gem.

“I am Anjean.” she explained. “And I am a Lokomo; a servant to the Spirits of Light.”

Last edited:
T

Tadock

This is a great chapter. I like what you did with the story. It is very interesting.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Sorry for the random hiatus, but I've been busy with a lot of things recently. Also, Microsoft Word suddenly decided to say "Screw you!" and now I can't even so much as copy/paste text in it. -.- Alas, now I have to write during school and email the chapters to myself so I can actually post them (since my school blocks Zelda Dungeon). All that aside, this hiatus is now over. Enjoy chapter eight! :)

Chapter Eight

"A servant? To the Spirits?" Naomi asked.

"Yes, that's right." Anjean answered.

“So… You did this?” I asked, indicating my newly healed left arm.

“Oh, I can do much more than that.” she said with a laugh. “Magic power is an amazing thing, my dear. For example…” she said as she held her right arm above her head.

A golden sphere enveloped all three of us. Naomi and I looked around in shock as the golden sphere began to condense. Suddenly, my mind was blurred. I couldn’t move. It felt like I was being dragged through a tiny crack in a thick wall. Then, in the next second, everything became clear again.

All three of us were in what looked like some sort of lobby. All structure around us was colored in a pale gray. The ceiling stretched high above our heads into darkness. There were four large thresholds in each corner of this expansive room, each filled with more darkness. There was a small altar in the center of the room, with a sword in a pedestal at its center. To the north side of the room was a large staircase that led up to another enormous threshold. The stairs continued up and to the left as they rose through the threshold into the darkness.

"Are you all right?" I asked Naomi.

"I'm fine." Naomi said.

"That's good." I said with a sigh of relief. Then I turned to Anjean and asked, "Anjean, where is this?"

"This, my dear, is the Tower of Spirits, situated in the Sacred Realm of the Spirits."

“Why did you bring us here?” Naomi asked nervously.

“I have something to show you.” she answered. “Alphonse, come here.” she commanded.

“Um, okay…” I said uneasily as I approached her.

“I have been watching you, Alphonse.” Anjean explained.

"Huh? Me? Why?" I asked in shock.

- What would a servant to the Spirits want with me?

"I have a feeling that you are the one who will save this world." Naomi and I perked up. "I've been watching your deeds as of late; fighting moblins and other monsters throughout the Forest Realm and helping people. I watched as you carried Saria to Rena’s cabin despite your exhaustion. I watched as you valiantly fought and defeated Vaati. And I watched as you held your ground when confronting Malladus.” Upon hearing Malladus’s name, Naomi looked over at me in surprise. “Your courage is vast and noble, Alphonse.” Anjean continued. “I believe you are the one who shall lead this world to the path of peace and prosperity. This is your destiny, and you must accept it."

I stood before her, completely speechless. Naomi was just as shocked. I didn't know what to say.

"I..." I breathed. I couldn't find the words.

"Whether you accept it or not is irrelevant. The fact remains that you are the one who will end this war." Anjean told me.

I was lost in thought.

- I’m the one who will end this war? That means that I’m the one who has to defeat Malladus... But is that even possible for me? The only reason I survived my fight with Vaati was because his arrogance got the better of him. And from what I saw, Malladus has unimaginable power. I doubt what I saw was even half of it! How could someone like me... I’m just a kid. How could I ever hope to defeat someone like Malladus?

“I… I don’t know if I can.” I said honestly.

Anjean’s serene eyes stared at me, expressionlessly. “If you think that, then give up.” she said coldly.

“What?” I asked in surprise.

“If you don’t think you can do it, then give up and go home.” she commanded. Her gravelly voice showed no hint of compassion.

“But… I can’t just give up!” I shouted. “I have people I love… I can’t just give up and go home! I have to protect them!” I told her.

Without hesitation, she said, “If you don’t want to give up, then stop doubting yourself.

“If you don’t believe in yourself, how can you hope to protect anyone?”​

I was moved. Naomi listened quietly in awe.

“You must have more confidence in your own power.” Anjean continued. “You have the determination to protect the people you love. Believe in it. It shall be the power that courses through your blade. It’s the very reason you fight, so you must never waver as you move forward. Trust in the strength you have, and use it to fight for the people you love.”

I stared at her quietly for several moments. My eyes were wide with awe. At last, the awe became fire as I said, “I understand.”

I put my hand to my heart and said, “I will defeat Malladus.”​

“Alphonse...” Naomi breathed.

There was a hint of captivation in her soft voice. My determination seemed to have moved her. She watched me with shinning eyes as I continued talking.

“In order to protect the people I love, I will never give up. I will keep them safe, no matter what.” I told Anjean.

Anjean watched me quietly for a few moments. At last, she smiled and said, “It seems I was right about you after all, Alphonse. You are qualified to bear the sacred title, reserved only for those recognized by the Spirits themselves to be true heroes. While you may not be the last, you are the first of a great line of heroes.” Anjean shifted her gaze to the sword in the pedestal at the center of the room. “Alphonse… ascend the altar.”

I did as she said and stood before the sword in the pedestal. Now that I was closer, I could properly examine it. The sword's hilt and guard were colored an azure blue, and the guard was shaped like half a gear. It extended out from the golden gem in the center of the guard. The hilt was long enough to grasp with both hands. The silver blade extended out from the golden jewel, and was about four and a half feet long. It ended with a point ideal for impalement, and both sides of the blade had a faded crisscross pattern that ran its length.

As I stood before this magnificent sword, it started glowing with a mystical golden light. The sword seemed to be emitting a quiet, almost angelic sound. A vortex of whirlwind began to surround the entire altar.

"Now, take it, Alphonse!" Anjean yelled over the sound of the wind.

I looked back at her, then to Naomi. She was watching attentively. I returned my gaze to the sword. I reached out cautiously with my right hand, and then quickly grabbed the hilt.

I drew the sword.

All at once, the whirlwind suddenly stopped, as if frozen in time. The angelic sound ceased, and the mystical golden light faded. Suddenly, the suspended whirlwind quickly condensed into the sword. Before I could blink, the whirlwind and the golden light pulsated vigorously, scattering in all directions. I lifted the sword above my head, gazing up at it respectively. As I raised it, a pulsation of wind blew across the room, emanating from the sword.

Naomi stared in amazement. “Wow…” she said under her breath. She was absolutely awe-struck.

"That is the Lokomo Sword." Anjean explained as everything settled. "It is the Sacred Sword of the Spirits. I believe you are the one meant to wield it, Alphonse. It is now yours. Use it as you see fit." she said as she respectfully bowed. "From this day on..." she announced,

"You are the Hero of Spirits."​

I nodded, and then turned, holding the sword out in front of me. I thrust it down once, and then swung it upward. Then I grabbed it with both hands and brought it down and around in a spinning motion. A second more vibrant pulsation of wind blew across the room as I did. Anjean watched me with a satisfied expression on her face. Naomi’s beaming violet eyes were fixated on me. I noticed her expression was beginning to show the same infatuation I’d felt for her when we first met.

“I’ll send you two back now.” Anjean told us.

Naomi’s fixation broke and she nodded a “thank you” at Anjean. As did I.

“Alphonse, I shall expect great things from you in the future.” she told me. The golden light sphere surrounded Naomi and I again. Before my mind was blurred, I heard Anjean say, “We’ll meet again someday, Alphonse.”

The next thing I knew, Naomi and I were back in her room. I noticed the Lokomo Sword was now in a black sheath. I figured Anjean did that as she sent us back, and ignored it. That’s when I noticed Naomi was looking up at me with an anxious look on her face.

We locked eyes for a few moments. “Alphonse…” she began.

“Yeah?” I asked nervously. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

“This is…” she said quietly. Her head was lowered.

I wasn’t sure what to expect her to say. All of a sudden, she burst out in excitement.

“Alphonse, this is incredible!” she exclaimed as she hugged me. “It’s amazing! The Spirits actually named you a hero! Wow!” she gushed on and on.

As she hugged me tightly, my face went red again.

“Oh!” Naomi said suddenly.

“Is that your fever again?”​

Last edited:

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Once again, a great chapter. I really like the description of the Lokomo sword and the Tower of Spirits. Nice job.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks, MikauIncarnate! Well, enjoy the next chapter everyone! Friendly warning: contains some suggestive dialogue, violence and swearing.

Chapter Nine

A day later, Naomi suggested to me that I visit Oz for a check-up.

“Even though Anjean healed you, it's probably wise to get a check-up, just in case.” she explained.

“All right. Should we go now?” I asked.

“Yeah, we should. Before his clinic gets busy.”

And so, we left Naomi’s house. It was near the clinic, just a few blocks away. She lived in a small cabin, and Oz lived in his clinic. As the only doctor in the town, he was always flooded with patients, so he never left the place.

It was early in the morning, and daybreak was beginning. The small, golden sun rose slightly above the rooftops of the village, making the snow glisten brilliantly in its rays of light. It was snowing, but very lightly. The cold air nipped at our noses as we walked at a steady pace through the snow. I was wearing my new light gray jacket and a yellow scarf that matched my eyes coiled around my neck. I carried the Lokomo Sword strapped to my back. Naomi was wearing a pink winter coat, a matching pink scarf, and snow boots. Her ears were veiled by purple earmuffs.

“So, when are you going to leave, Alphonse?” Naomi asked me as we walked. There was a hint of anxiety in her voice, as if she were afraid I’d leave her soon.

“Probably tomorrow. I need to get back to my friends.” I answered.

“I see…” she said sadly.

I noticed she was upset to hear this, and so I thought for a minute on what I should say to cheer her up. And without even realizing it, I’d said it.

“Would you like to come with me?”

Naomi abruptly stopped. I almost walked into her and stepped back a bit. She turned to me with an astonished look on her face. Her eyes seemed extremely hopeful.

“Do you really mean that, Alphonse?” she asked me quietly.

Her hopeful eyes looked as if they were screaming for me to say yes. Her body leaned toward me aggressively, and her hands were clasped together at her chest. Her body language seemed to crave vigorously for my answer.

“Yes, of course.” I told her.

She stared at me silently for a few seconds. Before I could even blink, her cheeks flushed with color and the biggest grin I’d ever seen stretched across her face almost instantly.

“Oh, Alphonse, I’d love to!” she cried out with overflowing joy.

She hugged me tightly, but there was something different about the way she hugged me this time. Before when she hugged me, it was always joyful. Now, it seemed to be more intimate. A more powerful feeling than joy was present here.

My face went bright red as she hugged me and said, “Thank you so much, Alphonse!”

“Um, n-no problem…” I said shyly.

I began to notice something. A certain feeling that welled up inside me. I’d never really felt this way before, but I was sure I knew what this was.

Love.

I sat in an examination room, on an examination table. Naomi was in the waiting room. Oz was giving me an examination. I’d already explained to him how I was healed, and he accepted it without any questions.

“Everything seems to be in order.” he said, pushing his glasses back into place with one finger. “I’d say you’re good to go. But I’d advise you to take it easy for a few more days. Just because you're healed now doesn't mean you should go crazy, young man.”

“All right, thank you.” I said.

I put my jacket back on, wrapped my scarf back around my neck, and strapped my sword to my back. Oz told me to wait in the room while he goes to get Naomi. After he left, I waited quietly, thinking about my feelings for Naomi.

- I’m pretty sure it’s mutual, but I’m not sure… I want to talk to her about it, but what if it’s just wishful thinking? That would be embarrassing…

My train of thought was broken by the sound of shouting. It sounded like it was coming from the waiting room. I couldn’t hear any words clearly. I heard a loud crash, and then a scream. The voice of the scream sounded like Naomi.

I rushed out of the examination room and down the hallway to the waiting room. As I did, I almost ran over Oz, who was rushing back to see me.

“Alphonse, it’s terrible!” he cried.

“Oz! What happened?!” I asked desperately.

“Some hoodlums came barging in… They… They demanded money… I told them I work for free so I didn’t have any… Then they… They… They…” He was on the verge of tears.

”They kidnapped Naomi for ransom!”​

As soon as I heard him say that, it was like a black void of fear enveloped my heart. I was terrified. What would I do if they hurt her, I thought. I wanted to save her, and nothing was going to stop me.

“Please, Alphonse… You have to save Naomi!” Oz pleaded.

“Of course. I promise I’ll bring her back safe.” I assured him.

With that, I rushed out of the clinic. I looked around in all directions. West, south, east, and when I looked to the north, I saw them. Naomi was being dragged by a group of thugs to a group of horses, unconscious. Seeing Naomi like that infuriated me.

As they tossed her onto the back of a horse, I sprinted toward them as fast as my feet could carry me. They noticed me, and one of them stayed behind while the other three rode off with Naomi.

“Stop right there!” I shouted as I drew my sword.

The thug that stayed behind was holding a mace. Our weapons clashed, and he shoved me back with ease. His build was quite large, and was a lot bigger than me. He was dressed in all black, and his dark hair and sunglasses matched his attire flawlessly. He grinned, showing off a gold tooth.

“Prepare to die, little brat!” he said menacingly.

He swung his mace down through the air at me. I dodged and pressed forward with ease. He may be big and strong, but his form and skills were seriously lacking. Unlike me, he had no training. He was nothing more than a common thug.

“What?!” he shouted as I closed in on him. He had no time to react as I sliced through his gut.

A shower of blood stained the snow as he collapsed. I sheathed my sword and mounted the horse he'd left behind.

“Hyaa!” I shouted as I cracked the reigns. The horse whinnied and galloped off after the others.

- Just hang on Naomi… I promise I’ll save you, no matter what!

The horse I was riding galloped at a fast pace. I followed the tracks left by the other horses in the snow for several miles northward. Eventually, I found the rest of the horses tied to stakes outside a cave.

- This must be their hideout…

I dismounted the horse I hijacked and tied her to the open stake. I then turned and faced the opening of the cave. Flickering candlelight was the only source of light in the dark tunnel.

- Here I come!

I rushed in, and dashed down the tunnel for several feet before it opened out into a wider room. This room was filled with tables covered with weapons and gear, most of which were outlawed in our country. A mace is one such banned weapon. There were also pistols and javelins in the mix. Aside from the weapons, the room was empty. There were a few more tunnels I could take. I picked one at random and rushed onward.

Candles lit this tunnel too, and as I ran, I began hearing someone speak.

“Man, the girl’s a cutie. Maybe we should sell her instead of milking her old man for cash. A young dame like that would fetch a hell of a price!”

"Why don't we keep her to ourselves for a while first? I'm sure she'd be great!"

"Yeah, but they sell for more when they're fresh."

"Hah, good point."

This disgusting conversation was followed by a laugh of agreement and the banging of beer glasses together. That only infuriated me further. My trembling fists were clenched so tightly they started to bleed. I walked forward toward the room the voices were coming from.

“Hey, is that you, Dune?” a voice asked after hearing my footsteps.

As I rounded the corner, the two thugs realized I wasn’t their buddy.

“What the hell?!” one of them freaked. He picked up the javelin next to him on the table and attacked me. I had no trouble parrying his attack as I drew my sword and cleaved through his shoulder. I sliced his left arm clean off.

As he screamed in pain, blood spurted from his wound, splattering across the table and floor. The other one fired shots from his pistol at me. I evaded his random and sloppy shots as I charged him. I grabbed him by the neck and forced him against the wall.

“Where is Naomi?” I demanded.

“W-who?!”

I tightened my grip and shouted, “The girl you took from Kakariko Village! Where is she?!"

“T-t-the hold! The holding cell! Down the hall to the left!” he stuttered fearfully.

I tossed him aside, and he sunk down in a sitting position as he gasped for air. As much as I wanted to rip him to shreds, Naomi was my top priority, so I left him alone and moved on down the hallway to the holding cell. I turned the corner and saw Naomi lying in the back of the cell. She was still unconscious. I rushed over and sliced through the bars like butter. I sheathed my sword and rushed to her side.

“Naomi! Come on, wake up!” I pleaded as I held her in my arms. She didn’t open her eyes.

I carried her on my back as I left the cell. Just as I did, the thug I spared earlier appeared wielding his pistol with trembling hands. He fired a few sloppy shots at me. I ducked past them as I charged him. He cowered as I got closer and closer. He was clearly not over the shock of what I did earlier. I used that to my advantage and ran right by him as he cowered in fear, and headed for the exit. He was too busy cowering to notice I’d gotten past him.

I didn’t want to fight anymore. My first and only concern was getting Naomi to safety. I reached the large room with the weapons again. There was the last thug, blocking the tunnel that lead outside. He was holding a large guillotine blade, which was dripping with blood.

“I’ve killed all the horses, boy! Even if you do beat me, you’ll never get back to the village without freezing to death!” he rasped.

He was right. Without the horses, we wouldn’t make it back to the village before we froze, dressed as lightly as we were now. But that was the least of my concerns.

- If I don’t defeat this guy, he’ll kill both me and Naomi. There’s no way I’m going to let that happen.

I laid Naomi down on an empty table and drew the Lokomo Sword as I walked over to face the last thug.

“Come, kid! Show me what you got!” he shouted.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks again, MikauIncarnate! Well, here's chapter ten everyone!

Chapter Ten

I wasted no time to make the first move. I charged at the thug, swinging my sword, and he parried and swung back. I side stepped and attacked again. He easily blocked that strike, too. I could tell this guy had some skill compared to the other thugs. He swiped with his greatsword, and I jumped back to avoid it. He then charged at me. Our blades clashed, and he easily pushed me away from him, towards the wall. I kicked off the wall and slashed again. This time, I grazed his arm as he tried to dodge.

“Tch.” he grunted as he backed off.

He ran over to a table and grabbed a mace. He threw it at me with incredible force. I barely dodged it, and it split the wall behind me. As I tried to get closer to him, he grabbed a pistol and fired a few shots. These shots were more precise than the other thug’s. I managed to avoid the first two, but the last one ripped through my left arm. Blood dripped from it as I continued to attack. He tried to fire a few more shots, but I cut the barrel off the gun before he could. He tossed it aside and slashed with his sword again. I parried it and got closer to him. I thrust my sword forward, and I managed to rip through his left side before he moved out of the way.

“Damn…” he said as he stepped back. He clutched his bleeding wound. “Heh… You’re pretty good, kid. What’s your name?” the thug asked me.

“Alphonse.” I said.

“Alphonse, eh? My name is Gray.” He paused for a moment, and then he continued. “Listen, Alphonse. I run the underground in these parts. I have many friends who would do anything to help me. You know what that means, right? If you kill me, there will be dozens of people out there who will hunt you down and kill you, as well as your family and friends. They’re ruthless brutes who specialize in vengeful murders. So just give up. I respect your courage, so if you agree to just leave the girl here and go home, I’ll forget you ever even came here. It just might save your life. What do you say?”

My hands started to tremble. “You expect me to just leave her here?” I said through clenched teeth. “You think I can just abandon her like that?!” I shouted.

Suddenly, a golden aura began to envelop my body. The blade of the Lokomo Sword glowed with the same golden light.

“What the?!” Gray gasped.

Anger welled up inside me. “Do you really think I would do that to her?!” I screamed.

The golden light became more intense. I tightened my grip on the sword’s hilt. The energy condensed around the blade.

“What is this kid?” Gray breathed. He shielded his eyes from the light. “What... What are you?!”

As the golden light intensified, a steady force of wind blew across the room, emanating from me. I spoke the last words Gray would ever hear: “I am the Hero of Spirits.”

I propelled the condensed energy forward with one swing of my sword. It rocketed with unimaginable speed and rammed into Gray’s body. The force of the blast indented him into the wall by a few inches as it tore away at his flesh in one fell swoop. His body fell to the ground with a thud. It was all over.

I took a few moments to take in what I just did.

- That light… It was the same as before, in the Tower of Spirits. Anjean used it too. So this is... magic power?

I trudged through the snow and the cold and the wind, carrying Naomi’s unconscious body on my back. Since Gray really did slaughter all of the horses, I had to walk. But it was too far. I was still several miles away from the village when I finally collapsed. My body was freezing cold, and my joints were stiff. I was developing hypothermia. I was more worried for Naomi, since she was still unconscious. If she stayed in this cold for much longer, she might not wake up.

- Damn it, come on! I have to get her back to the village. I promised Oz that I’d get her back safely! I can’t afford to waste any time lying down!

I tried to get up, but my joints were frozen. I couldn’t move well enough to stand up, especially while carrying another person.

- Damn it… Come on! I can’t let her die!

The cold was sapping all of my energy. My body was shutting down. I continued to struggle, but it was no use. At last, I passed out as I lay in the snow with Naomi.

I woke up to find myself staring at an unfamiliar ceiling.

- Déjà-vu…

I looked around to get a grasp on my surroundings. I noticed that the room was circular, and quite large. The structure looked like it was made from ice, but the room was surprisingly warm. I noticed Naomi lying in a bed next to mine.

- Thank God she’s all right…

I sat up. I noticed my bullet wound was patched up. The Lokomo Sword was propped up at the foot of my bed next to my boots, and my gray hoodie and yellow scarf were folded neatly at the end of the bed. I was still wearing my black pants. I put my jacket back on and walked over beside Naomi. She looked like she was sleeping comfortably. I let out a great sigh of relief. I then got my yellow scarf and wrapped it around my neck, slipped into my boots, and stepped outside.

Cold.

I was instantly assailed with a cold unlike anything I’d ever felt before.

- It’s freakin’ freezing!

“Ah-! Hey!”

An unfamiliar voice came out of nowhere, and before I even got a chance to look around for it, I was hurriedly shoved back inside by… something. He couldn’t have shut the door fast enough.

“What do ya think yer doing?! Ya can’t go outside dressed like that! Ye’ll freeze to death in a matter o' minutes!” he told me.

Now that I was able to get a good look at this person, I could see that he was a member of the Anouki race. He was about my height, but his body was round and furry. His pale gray fur suited his brown antlers. His beady black eyes examined me carefully.

“What happened to ya anyway, boy-o?” he asked. Before I could even open my mouth, he continued talking as if he hadn’t just asked me a question. “I found ya lyin’ out in the snow outside the mountains with that girl-y there, and ya were bleedin’ so I broughtcha home with me ta fix y’up.”

His strange way of talking seemed to fit his appearance. Before I could even start to think of how to explain to him what happened, he continued his interrogation.

“What’s yer name anyway, boy-o?” Before I could speak, he said “My name’s Firo. Nice ta meetcha!” and then he vigorously shook my hand. Without missing a beat, he asked, “Ain’tcha gonna say anythin’?”

- Is he messing with me?

“Uh, I’m Alphonse. It’s nice to meet you too. Thank you for saving us, Firo.”

“No problem-o, boy-o.” Then he said, “Ya kinda talk funny, y’know that?”

- Okay, now I'm sure he's messing with me.

“What happened t’ya, anyway?” Firo asked again.

I explained to him about Naomi’s kidnapping and how I fought to save her. The whole time I talked, Firo had a very strange expression on his face. He looked ridiculously intrigued by my story.

“That’s... That’s so moving~!” he shouted. He held his right arm in front of his eyes while tears streamed from them like a flash flood. “Ya risked yer life to save this girl-y, and even when yer life was threatened, ya still never gave up~!” he screamed through the tears. “So… So moving~!” he wailed.

This whole situation felt totally scripted.

- Is he for real?

Just then, Naomi started to stir.

“Naomi!” I said as I rushed to her side.

“She’s awake!” Firo shouted as he wiped the remaining tears from his eyes. He joined me beside her bed.

Naomi’s eyes slowly opened. She awoke to see me hovering over her with a worried look on my face.

“Alphonse?” she said.

“Are you all right?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” she said as she sat up. “You… Did you save me?”

I nodded.

She smiled and hugged me. “Thank you…” she said sweetly. “I’m sorry I made you worry.”

I smiled warmly and said, “It's okay.”

This made me happy. It felt like the love I had was beginning to well up even more vividly. I noticed she was really starting to feel the same way, too. It was now that I realized it.

We really were in love.​

“Oh, by the way, this guy is Fi…” I said as I turned around. He was gone. “...ro.” I finished.

Naomi and I looked down to see Firo rolling around on the floor leaving a trail of tears while screaming “So moving~!” Naomi giggled at this sight. I couldn’t help but laugh a bit too.

I began to relax for the first time in a while. Naomi was finally safe and sound, and seeing her happy like this made me feel complete. I felt like I needed nothing more than to see her smile and to know she was safe. I truly felt at peace, for the first time since my parents died.

I couldn’t help but remember how Rena told me to live my life for the sake of living. To meet new people, make new friends, experience new things… I think now I finally understood what she was talking about.

She wanted me to find love.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thank you both! Now, here's chapter eleven! Enjoy!

Chapter Eleven

“What do you mean I was going the wrong way?!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, boy-o. Ya were headin’ north. Kakariko’s to the south.” Firo told me.

Naomi laughed and said, “You’re not very good with direction, huh, Alphonse?”

“It actually saved yer lives. If ye’d gone the right way, ye’d never’ve made it back to the village alive. Goin’ the wrong way caused ya to go my way. If it weren’t for that, I’d never’ve found ya.”

“Huh. I guess your directional impairment actually came in handy!” Naomi said excitedly.

“Hmm… Ya kinda talk funny too, girl-y.” Firo said.

“Huh?” Naomi asked, confused.

“Well, I guess it’s time we get ya two some food, eh?” Firo said as if he hadn’t heard Naomi.

“What do you have?” I asked.

Firo hopped up and waltzed over to a pot suspended over a fireplace. He opened the lid to reveal soup filled with meats I’d never seen before.

“What’s in it?” Naomi asked.

“Crab.” Firo said.

“Crab? This far north?” I asked, bewildered.

“Not that kinda crab. This one’s… different.” He explained.

“Different how?” I asked him.

“The crabs up north here are… special.” He said.

“What do you mean... special?” I asked.

“Well, y’see…” Firo began. He drew me in close. “It’s kinda like the Snow Realm’s special crab. It’s different than the ones in the Ocean Realm.”

“Different how?” I asked again.

Firo drew me in closer, and whispered in my ear the secret.

“Our crabs are blue.”

Naomi and I stared at him with the most dumb-struck expressions a human being could hope to pull off. Firo didn’t seem to notice.

“Y’see, the crabs down in the Ocean Realm‘re different! They’re red!” he exclaimed excitedly.

“Um… Firo… That’s not much of a difference…” I explained. “And besides, the Ocean Realm has blue-shelled crabs too…”

Firo seemed to be frozen still for several seconds. Just as I was about to ask him what was wrong, he threw back his head and held up his arms and shouted “WHAAAAAT?!”

Everyone was still and silent for several seconds. The silence was broken again, but this time things were more serious.

Another Anouki barged in, practically breaking down the door. “Firo!" he screamed distressfully.

“Whatcha want, Ed?” Firo asked, crossing his arms.

“It’s… it’s bad, Firo! Really, really bad!” Ed fussed.

“What’s going on?” I asked him.

“Some Wolfos barged into to the oil mines and are tearing the place apart! Some villagers are trapped inside, too! They'll all die if we don't do something!” he cried.

Firo was quiet for several moments. Before anyone had a chance to speak, he screamed at the top of his lungs, “WHAAAAAT?” throwing back his head and holding up his arms like he did before.

“What’re we gonna do?!” Firo panicked.

“What’re we gonna do?!” Ed repeated.

“I could stop them.” I suggested.

Firo and Ed looked at me like I’d just said something highly inappropriate.

"Boy-o, you can't be doin' any fightin', yer still hurt." Firo said.

“He’s the Hero of Spirits.” Naomi told them. “If anyone can do it, it’d be Alphonse.”

At the mere mention of the title "Hero of Spirits", Firo and Ed gasped in amazement.

“You’re…?” Firo began.

“The Hero…?” Ed continued.

“Of Spirits…?” Firo finished.

I nodded.

All of a sudden, Ed sprang forward, grabbed me by the shoulders and started shaking me.

“You’re the Hero of Spirits?! What luck! You have to do something! My brother is still in the oil mines, along with several other Anouki! Please, Hero! You have to save him!” Ed pleaded frantically.

“I promise I’ll save them.” I told him.

“Here ya go, Alphonse. You’ll need this.” Firo said as he removed his blue parka and tossed it to me. “If ya wear this, ye’ll be safe from the subzero temperatures.”

“Thank you.” I said as I put it on over my clothes.

As I zipped it up, I noticed how warm and comfortable it was. It was easy to move in it, too. It seemed to conform to the shape of my body.

I walked over to my bed and grabbed my sword. As I strapped it to my back, I said, “Naomi, wait for me here, all right?”

“Of course.” she said. “Good luck!”

“Thanks. All right,” I said as I turned to Ed, “Show me the way to the mines.”

Ed nodded and led me out of the house.

This time when I left, the subzero weather didn’t affect me. I didn’t feel cold at all.

“Wow… These clothes are really something else.” I said.

“Yeah, they’re specially made for this weather.” Ed explained.

Now that I was protected from the cold, I finally had a chance to take in the sights of Anouki Village. All around me, the area was blanketed in white, shinning snow. The homes were all colored in an icy blue, and the streets were paved with what looked like blocks of ice. It wasn’t slippery, though. It was late in the afternoon, but the sun hadn’t begun to set yet. Above me, the sky was splashed with wispy white clouds of all shapes and sizes. The sky was colored the same icy blue as the homes in the village. But the most magnificent sight of all was the mountains themselves.

All around the village, the mountains towered into the sky at unreal heights. They were mountains of icy blue crystal, and they sparkled beautifully in the light of the sun. Clouds surrounded their peaks as they reached into the heavens. The sight was truly amazing.

“Wow…" I gawked. I’d never seen anything like this in my life.

“Hey, Alphonse! This way!” Ed called out to me.

I looked around for him. He was already several feet down the road. I followed after him quickly.

We hurried down the ice-paved street, leaving the village and entering a small wooded area. The trees were all evergreens, and the forest was dense. The path continued for several miles until we reached the foot of one of the crystal mountains. There were tracks for a mine cart at its base that led into a dark cave.

At this close distance, I was able to properly admire the mountain. Up close, you could see all the intricate edges and patterns in the crystal, and it was too breathtaking for words. But this was no time for gawking.

“This is the entrance to the oil mines.” Ed told me. “Good luck, Alphonse.”

I nodded, and approached the entrance to the mines. A large staircase stretched downward next to the mine cart tracks into a black void of darkness. I took a deep breath, and walked down into the mines.

After descending the stairs for several feet, I came out into a large room, full of ice and snow. It was dimly lit, but I could clearly see all of the mine carts and tracks throughout the area. Oil drums scattered the ground next to the carts, with puddles of oil beneath them. It was at this point that I began to notice the destruction. The entire area was ravaged, with minecarts overturned and oil drums busted.

- This must be the Wolfos’ doing.

I took a few more steps forward, and then I heard the cry of a wolf. I turned to see a large White Wolfos lunging at me. I quickly drew my sword and blocked its claws. It growled hungrily from behind fanged teeth, and I pushed forward. It did not budge; instead, I was the one who was pushed back. The Wolfos used its body weight to shove me back and onto the ground. It howled again and tried bite at my neck. I craned and twisted my neck out of the way, and then I felt a surge of power.

A golden light enveloped the blade of my sword, and the Wolfos yelped in pain as its claws were sliced clean off. I stood up as the Wolfos cowered back, whimpering and licking its wounds.

- That was magic power again. It was just like when I fought with Gray. I wonder if I can use this power freely.

I focused my mind into the blade of the Lokomo Sword. As I did, I felt another surge of power and light.

- I get it. This must be the magic power of the Lokomo Sword.

The Wolfos turned back to me, now enraged, and roared towards me with its fangs bared. I used the condensed energy in the blade of my sword to let loose a powerful burst of golden aura. Just like what happened to Gray, this power ripped through the Wolfos’s body, leaving it in pieces.

- I think I'm starting to get the hang of how this power is used. I could still use some more practice, though...

And so, with sword in hand, I continued through the mines in search of the trapped Anouki.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks once again, MikauIncarnate and FrostFlame Sage! Enjoy chapter twelve, everyone! Friendly Warning: This chapter contains some dialogue and language that may not be suitable for all readers. Just a friendly heads-up. ;)

Chapter Twelve

- AT THE THUG’S HIDEOUT -

“Speak up, Maiza! Who was it that killed Gray?!” shouted a tall, angry man dressed in black.

His glaring crimson eyes and his matching crimson hair made his anger that much more intimidating. The person he was interrogating was the only thug that survived Alphonse's raid. He’d witnessed Alphonse’s fight with Gray. The person interrogating him was a friend of Gray’s, one of the people he threatened would go after Alphonse should he be killed.

“V-Vino… I can’t… breathe…” Maiza chocked.

Vino released his vice-like grip and let Maiza fall to the floor, gasping for air. “I’ll ask you again…” Vino rasped menacingly as he towered over the terrified Maiza. “Who was it that killed Gray…?”

“Some… some kid callin’ himself Alphonse…” Maiza coughed after a few heaving breaths.

This information infuriated Vino. “You mean to tell me Gray was done in by a child?! That’s ridiculous!” he shouted in anger. Vino kicked Maiza in the gut, and he gasped for air. “Tell me the truth!” Vino screamed. “What happened?!”

“I… I’m tellin’… the truth…” Maiza coughed. “The kid… He was no ordinary kid!” he tried to explain.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Vino yelled as he lifted up Maiza by the collar.

“The kid… had some strange power!” Maiza blubbered.

“Strange power? What are you talking about?” Vino asked.

“The… The kid! He said he was… He said he was the Hero of Spirits!”

At the mention of Alphonse’s title, Vino froze up for a few moments. He let Maiza drop to the ground. Maiza scurried away in fear. He had no intention of being subjected to any more interrogation.

“The Hero of Spirits…” Vino whispered. “That boy… He’s the one who defeated Vaati. Now it all makes sense. There’s no way Gray could lose to a mere child.”

Vino began to show a devious grin.

“I know just the man for the job.”

- BACK AT THE OIL MINES -

Clutching the Lokomo Sword in my right hand, I walked through an open threshold at the back of the room. This led me into a wider room. Like the last one, this room was dimly lit and the floor was covered in patches of snow and ice. Oil drums littered the area, some broken and leaking oil, others not. There was a steep drop a few feet ahead, and mine cart tracks crisscrossed the gap. There was a cart at the start of the tracks that was still in good condition. As I walked farther into this room, I heard a blood-curdling scream somewhere on the other side of the gap.

- That must be one of the Anouki!

I rushed forward, but then remembered the drop.

- How can I get across…?

I looked around for any kind of bridge, but there was nothing. It made me wonder how the Anouki get across. Then I thought of something.

- Yeah, that could work.

After sheathing my sword, I rushed over to the mine cart and pushed it forward. It moved surprisingly easily and started off on the tracks faster than I expected. I nearly missed my chance to jump in it for a ride across.

I clutched the sides and used my own weight to keep the cart balanced on the curves as it sped along the tracks with impressive speed. I reached the other side in no time. I hopped out of the cart as it came to a rough stop and rushed around a corner. I saw someone cowering in a corner behind a bunch of oil drums. I couldn’t see his body, but I recognized those quivering antlers peeking out from behind the drums. He was an Anouki. On the other side of the makeshift barricade this Anouki constructed was a large White Wolfos howling and scratching at the drums, trying to break through and get to its lunch.

I drew my sword and rushed the beast, and it heard me coming. As I swung my sword down through the air, the Wolfos dodged to my right and tried to pin me. I wasn’t going to let that happen again. I backed off quickly and prepared for my next strike. The Wolfos charged me, and I dipped and thrust my blade through its gut. As I ripped my sword through its side, a shower of blood splattered the snowy ground. The Anouki stopped quivering once it noticed the Wolfos had gone quiet. He poked his head over the drums and peered over at me.

“Are you alright?” I asked him as I sheathed my sword.

The Anouki did not respond. He just stared at me with quivering eyes that were beginning to tear up. Without warning, he leapt over the oil drums with outstretched arms, a stream of tears flooding from his eyes, and snot dripping from his nose. I flinched from surprise as this Anouki hugged me tightly while sniveling compulsively and hiccupping the words “Ya saved me~! Ya saved me~!” through his joyful tears.

After the Anouki calmed down, he told me his name was Simon. He asked who I was, and when I told him I was the Hero of Spirits, he gasped in awe in a very cartoonish manner.

“Yer the Hero of Spirits, Alphonse?!” he gasped.

“That’s right. An Anouki named Ed asked me to come here and save you guys.”

“Ed did?! He’s my brother!” Simon yelled in excitement. “So he made it out, after all!” Simon covered his eyes with his arm as another stream of tears sprayed from his eyes while he screamed “I’m so happy~!”

- I’m beginning to think all the Anouki are this eccentric…

“How many more of your people are left here?” I asked him.

“About five more o' us are still ahead.” Simon explained. “There were originally thirteen o' us. But… Th' others were all…” Simon began to shake.

I understood right away. I put my hand on his shoulder. “I promise I’ll save them.” I said with a warm smile.

Simon gave me another gratitude-filled hug before he took the mine cart back across and left. I continued on through the mines. After traversing a lengthy corridor, I came across a large steel door that was bolted shut. I drew my sword and, after condensing some of my magic power into its blade, cut down the door. As the door collapsed, a putrid stench rushed out and filled my nostrils. I almost choked because of it. I had to cover my nose with my scarf as I entered the room. I looked around to see where the stench came from, and I saw it; the gruesome result of the Wolfos’ attack.

All across the room were the bloody, chewed up, torn apart remains of several Anouki. There were at least seven of them.

My eyes widened with horror and disgust at the sight of this bloodbath. That’s when I figured out why the steel door was bolted shut. It was to keep the Anouki from escaping. This was a massacre.

- A Wolfos couldn’t bolt a door shut. There’s something more to this than just a Wolfos attack. Someone else must be playing a part in this. But who could it be?

I quickly passed through the room and removed my scarf from my face. After traversing a short hallway, I found myself in the biggest room of all; the oil quarry. A large drill was positioned within an encirclement of steel bars in the center of the room. Mine cart tracks lined the room. Oil drums littered this room as well. The ceiling was high, and lined with icy blue crystal like the mountain itself.

I walked over to the drill, and noticed it was broken. At first I thought it was the Wolfos’ doing, but then I took the drill’s size into account. It was far too big for even a whole pack of Wolfos to break.

- Things are starting to seem more and more like this isn’t just some random raid…

“What is going on here?” I whispered.

"That is an excellent question, my boy!”​

I quickly turned around to find where this relaxed voice had come from. Standing before me was an unfamiliar man. He was tall and lean, and he was wearing a crimson cloak and had silver hair. He was wearing purple eye-liner and white lipstick, which complemented his pale skin along with his deep purple eyes. He was wearing gray spandex beneath his cloak. It wasn't exactly the best thing to wonder at the moment, but I was curious about how he could stand this cold, dressed as lightly as he was.

“Who are you?” I asked him warily.

“Ah, another excellent question! Allow me to give you an excellent answer. My name is Ghirahim. Although…" he paused for a minute. He briefly ran his fingers through his silver hair before he continued. “Although, I much prefer to be indulged with my full title; Lord Ghirahim. But no need to worry, because I’m not fussy. Now, what, pray tell, is your name, child?” he asked me.

“… Alphonse.” I answered.

“Ah, Alphonse!” he said excitedly. He seemed to perk up at the mention of my name. “So you’re the one! The boy who defeated Vaati!”

I disregarded his previous statement and asked, “Why are you here? Are you the one responsible for this raid?”

“Well, it’s true I did organize that pack of Wolfos…” he said coyly, “But I prefer to leave the credit with those who do the dirty work. That said, the only thing I’m responsible for is bolting that door shut and destroying the drill.”

“So it was you…” I said. “The Anouki have done nothing wrong! Leave these people alone!” I shouted.

“My pleasure! To be honest, the only reason I had these little Anouki slaughtered was because I was getting tired of waiting. So I decided I should find a way to amuse myself for a bit!”

This infuriated me. “You bastard…”

Ghirahim chuckled arrogantly to himself and continued. “But now that you’re here, Alphonse, I no longer need to wait! The surviving Anouki are free to go. I have no more need for them now. After all, the only one I have business with is you, the Hero of Spirits.”

As Ghirahim said my title, he licked his lips sadistically. This sent a shiver down my spine. "You see, I set this whole thing up because I thought it would be a fun way to draw you out." he explained. "And here you are! It certainly worked like a charm. Not to mention, it was quite fun to watch those poor creatures scream as they were ripped to shreds. Quite fun, indeed."

At this point, I'd had enough of his sadist comments. I drew my sword and took a step forward. "Yeah, here I am. I'm not gonna let you get away with what you've done." I said.

“Ha ha hah… You want a fight, don’t you, boy?” Ghirahim taunted menacingly. “I shall happily oblige you.” Ghirahim licked his lips again, and slowly approached me.

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Ohmygawsh Ghirahim!

I love the dialogue in this story. It's very descriptive and keeps a clear image floating around in my head as I read it. :O

I lurvs it, Azamataz ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom