• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Happy Mask Salesmen?

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I'd have to disagree.

Perhaps the reason the Mask Salesman chose Link to retrieve his lost Majora's Mask was based upon his skill in mask trading as shown previously in Ocarina of Time. If my theory is true, then it's quite clear that our hero made quite an impression on him, seeing as he's the one whom managed to trade all of the masks.

Nonetheless, that's just speculation so it's up for debate. Makes sense in my mind either way. What do you guys think?

I too have always thought that the Mask salesman asked Link to get Majora's Mask back partly because Link saved Hyrule. And was therefore the best person to get the mask and save Termina. But dark_link01 does bring up a good point that the mask salesman didn't see any of Link's real hero work which was seven years into the future.

However, I do think the Happy mask salesman remembered Link which was one of the main reasons he followed him. Even though the salesman didn't see what Link did in the future part of OoT, he was well aquainted with Link because Link would sell his masks. So Link was really the only person he could trust to get the mask back.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
I think the HMS has so much crap wrong in his head that he couldn't remember if he wore underwear that day much less remember some kid who he used to sell masks in Hyrule.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
i haven't played oot in a long time, but after link defeates ganon and turns back to his original time, doesn't he get back to the point where he meets zelda for the first time? I'm not sure, but i think he haven't met the happy mask salesman before link met zelda, so the hms doesn't know him in MM.

i haven't played oot in a long time, but after link defeates ganon and turns back to his original time, doesn't he get back to the point where he meets zelda for the first time? I'm not sure, but i think he haven't met the happy mask salesman before link met zelda, so the hms doesn't know him in MM.

BANG! You got it Smitie. You're right, the HMS wouldn't remember him after he was sent back in time. Looks like we have our answer. And Link probably wouldn't have time to trade masks what with all of his spending time with Zelda, and keeping Ganondorf from the Triforce.

Kybyrian

I'd have to disagree.

Perhaps the reason the Mask Salesman chose Link to retrieve his lost Majora's Mask was based upon his skill in mask trading as shown previously in Ocarina of Time. If my theory is true, then it's quite clear that our hero made quite an impression on him, seeing as he's the one whom managed to trade all of the masks.

Nonetheless, that's just speculation so it's up for debate. Makes sense in my mind either way. What do you guys think?

You pose a good point there. I didn't think of that before, but still, he could have at least said something about it that referred to that he remembered you from before.

But still, very good point.

O

Oni Nick

You have to remember that when you travelled back through time, and ended up in the Castle Courtyard, it wasn't your first time there. You had alreday met Zelda, and Link just wanted to tell her that he had dealt with Ganon in the future. This is easy to consider: notice that Zelda turns around and sees Link, instead of him shocking her, like you do when you meet her for the first time. That means that you've already met the HMS, and he would defintely remember you, for bringing out his masks.

Now they all go to Termina. And I do think the HMS remembers you, not because of your heroic deeds in the future, but simply because of this quote from the game:

"Now don't think me rude, but I have been following you..." - Happy Mask Salesman

This is what he tells Link when you meet him for the first time as a Deku. When HMS was sleeping in the woods, Skull Kid came and stole the mask. HMS later discovered that, and he wanted to get it back. So he followed Skull Kid. Then Skull Kid confronters Link, and even though Skull Kid steals Epona, Link shows great courage and jumps at him. He actually chases down Skull Kid.

Get my point? HMS didn't want to get near Skull Kid, but Link seemed not to be afraid of him. So instead of getting the mask back himself, he wants you to do it. Therefore he haven't forgot about you. He knew you from OoT, he knew that you was one he could trust (because of the mask deliveries), and he knows that you can get to Skull Kid.

Chris

It has been awhile...
He does remember you because he asks you specifically and no one else. He also asks you to do something that requires trust, which he gained in Oot by selling all of his masks. So, knowing that you did this for him, he knew he could trust you to get Majora's Mask back.

S

skullkidsreveng

There have been some pretty complicated and intreging explaints to this thread, but it does seem likley that he just didn't remember link. who knows how many people he sees coming in to his shop? Though it is true that link did sell most of his mask for him...

Well... no matter what the case it isn't neccesarly inportant to the plot or gamplay, so I guess it's up to us fans to decide why.

Majora's Mask had a kind of bizarre, surreal nature to it, so several things don't make sense.

Maybe it's an alternate dimension sort of thing?

I

imthemailman

well the mask salesman could remember you or not its another zelda conundrum

HMS dosen't remember Link because he has been following him. He has been following him because HMS was in the Lost Woods, or Termina first whenever the Skull Kid took Majora's Mask from him. Most likely, he was following the Skull Kid to get it back, then noticed Link in the Lost Woods, then followed Link.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Why doesn't the happy mask salesmen remember you?

I always thought that he lost a bit of his memory when skull kid hit him on the head.

Cuz in the child ending that leads to mm it was as though the entire adventure link went through in oot never happened meaning link never met the happy (crazy) mask salesman. Or it could be that he didn't remember link because he lost some of his memory when skull kid attacked him.

Zarom

The King
I have three theories, here thay are:

1.The very reason why the mask salesman did not recognize Link :) at first, is because he was transformed in Deku.

But then, the HMS tells to Link that he knows a way to get Link's real form back, so that means he knows Link and that he followed him since Skull Kid stole Epona. Otherwise, the HMS wouldn't know that Link had been transformed in Deku. He must have told himself: Hey, I know this guy, he may be of help, he already help me selling masks. :D

2.But if the Mask Salesman DID really ''forget'' about Link, maybe that's because he didn't know him?

Because remember that when Zelda takes Link back to his childood, Link gets back to the time when he just has the first spiritual stone, or maybe the second. Why that? Because after you get the third one, Zelda :zelda: escapes the castle. And at that time, maybe Link hasn't meet the HMS already?

3. The HMS may not know Link for another reason.

You must remember that going in his shop and sells the masks isn't part of the adventure. It's a side quest. So that means we could do the WHOLE game without ever going in his shop and thus, never meet him at all.
So maybe the creators took only the elements from the MAIN adventure, not all others from the side quests, since you can do the game without ever knowing him.

That were pretty good and strong theories, isn't it? :cool:

fiercedeity619

Remember the name
id say that the happy mask salesman knows that he was in an alternate dimension so he might have thought link was was just a mirrored link and not the one he met in the store. so he probably said dont bother with it he'll just get scared and run.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
i think that nintendo made it that way so that people who had played MM but not OoT would still understand stuff, if he said 'ahhh i remember you, kid'' or whatever in that weird creepy tone of his, people who hadnt played OoT would have thought he was a pedo or something :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom