• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Gerudo: The Mechanics of Life

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I've always figured the Gerudo to reproduce asexually, and for whatever reason in their culture's biology, one male is produced every century.

Djinn

and Tonic
They do appear to be more of a tribal community and less of an actual kingdom. In communities like that one you will have a chieftain leading the people living there but they will be related to many if not most of the members. That does not mean that there is a specific royal family with a separate lineage from everyone else. Just one small family are the defacto leaders.

However the one male is almost certainly the father of the next leading to a form of lineage among the tribe. There is just not a specific royal family since the one male is essentially the father of a large amount of the tribe if not all of it. Whatever magical properties the tribe has that causes only a single male to be born once within a century requires the tribe to forgo a lot of normal rules and traditions. I'm wondering if that same magical property is what protects the tribe from dying out due to a total lack of diversity in the gene pool. There is also the fact that they are not human, or hylian, they are a separate species of people that very closely resemble Hylians. They might have a completely different world view and do not consider things like families and royal blood, only the tribe, and the single male is the leader.

The Gerudo taking mates from the people of Castletown is an interesting addition. Now this leaves me asking if the children will always be female Gerudo regardless of their half blood parentage or if they are truly a half Hylian hybrid. And would that cause a higher percentage of then being born male even before the 100 year timespan between male births. It's situations like that which leave me thinking that there is some more magical elements in the Gerudo history (or possibly a curse) since what else would maintain the once a century method if not by way of magic or divine intervention.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
However the one male is almost certainly the father of the next leading to a form of lineage among the tribe. There is just not a specific royal family since the one male is essentially the father of a large amount of the tribe if not all of it. Whatever magical properties the tribe has that causes only a single male to be born once within a century requires the tribe to forgo a lot of normal rules and traditions. I'm wondering if that same magical property is what protects the tribe from dying out due to a total lack of diversity in the gene pool. There is also the fact that they are not human, or hylian, they are a separate species of people that very closely resemble Hylians. They might have a completely different world view and do not consider things like families and royal blood, only the tribe, and the single male is the leader.

What makes you say it has to be a direct descendant? I'm not saying that's not true, but it could just be that a deity (or maybe Twinrova) makes one random child be born a male. Or maybe it's both combined, who knows? I'm just saying I don't think it 100% has to be a direct descendant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom