• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask The Experience

Hey Guys

Just like everyone else on this forum I love the Zelda franchise, in fact it's by far my favourite.

I recently beat a playthrough of Majora's Mask and it got me thinking..........That was an awesome experience!:):)

I made this thread becuase I wanted to find out what other peoples experiences of the game were and what you thought.

I'm planning to make a video about the Majora's Mask experience and I want to know what other people thought of the game and it's mechanics.

Thank you for Reading

:):):):):):):):):):)

Pen

The game is on!
Before I had beaten Majora's Mask I was actually very negative to the game in general. I didn't like the three day cycle, and I thought the game had mimicked too much from Ocarina of Time. Anyway, once I decided to just beat the game I did it, and by the time that I reached Great Bay I started to love the game. I really don't know what happened but from that point I enjoyed the game more than any other game.

Since then I've beaten the game once more, and this time around I liked the game from the start. And I do agree with you, FK, that beating Majora's Mask was an extraordinary experience. The game is without a doubt the hardest 3D Zelda title, and I think that perhaps beating Majora's Mask made me look on the Zelda franchise a little bit in a different way.

I hope this could inspire you in some way for the video you're making. And I'd love to watch it when it's done! ;)

I agree with you

After Majora's Mask a persons outlook can shift slightly. I think it's the depth in each character that makes it different, it made you want to converse and learn about every individual in Termina.

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
Not only is Majora's Mask my favourite Zelda title, it's my all-time favourite game. For so many reasons, some of which I can't even pinpoint.

Firstly the many tropes within the game; from the positive aspects of friendship, forgiveness, to the negative of death, despair, etc. The game has a massive amount of emotional value to the game. Not only are there emotional story arcs around the central characters, (The Deku Butler, Darmani, Mikau) but many of the background characters also - (Grog, Kamaro, Anju/Kafei, The Townspeople).
The character mirroring/duplication was a really clever concept, although some people see it as being lazy game design. Like the Happy Mask Salesman being a psychotic weirdo, Koume and Kotake being good guys, the "sell me something with c" character as a banker, I think that it's all ingenious!
Moreso, the gameplay - it improved vastly on what Ocarina of Time had started, but unfortunately will never step out of it's shadow. The controls, the graphics, the depth. Link, being more agile, reacting differently with different masks, etc. Plus the enemies were a lot more difficult, skulltulas provided more of a challenge, in that they turned more frequently, lizalfos were more difficult to fight, etc.
The dungeon designs are challenging, but getting to them is even more so. A nice addition was the option to battle the bosses again, something Ocarina lacked. The rewards from playing the game are so, so satisfying. I can say the same for the collectibles - Fairies, Masks, Skulltulas.
The visuals in some places are really trippy and intense, (inside the astral observatory, fighting Odolwa, and of course fighting Majora)
The final thing I love about the game is the "doom and gloom" of it. The morbidity of the whole thing. You have to ease so many people's suffering, there's a freaking MOON about to land on Termina, while everyone in Clock Town just waits and accepts it. Plus, there's a canyon of death filled with stalfos, gibdos, invisible ninjas, etc.... Ikana, basically. One of the most challenging, and definitely the most Interesting area in Zelda that I can think of.

I <3 MM. So much.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
The thing that always makes me happy when restarting majora's mask is walking around clock town on day two before you get the ocarina. it just makes me feel nice

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
After playing Ocarina of Time and finding out they were making a new Zelda game with the same engine I got estactic because I love the way the gameplay was. So when I played Majora's Mask for the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it and the first thing I noticed that was different was that when Link jumps, he now does flips which I was like OMG that's awesome because it was something new. And the fact that you have 3 days until the game technically could end, you have to know how to manipulate the time so that you can get everything you need within those 3 days and beat the game. I loved having to go back and forth through the 3 days constantly. Majora's Mask is an experience that I will NEVER forget.

Thanks you All so much for your responses, these are amazing replies and thoughts.

I just finished recording the Majora's Mask footage and hope fully I'll get the voice over and editing done by tomorrow. Ill put a Link in a new thread for you guys to it tomorrow.

This game is not only different for a Zelda title, its pretty different for a game.

The 3 day cycle was brilliant! The way the game play worked around it made it seem almost flawless. Not being able to save anywhere made it so you wouldn't be able to save right before a boss fight or puzzle and turn off the game once you figure it out, otherwise the game would be much to easy. But instead they implemented this amazing saving system that worked perfectly(except for there being to few of them)!

Now look at the dungeons! They weren't only difficult because of the time strain, which made you feel pressure to finish them faster, but they also were just plain difficult. Not to mention creative. A dungeon where once you finish it, you have to complete it UPSIDE DOWN, that was frustrating, but made you feel amazing once it was done! AWESOME

We can not forget the NPCs! People say SS recreated this, I say not. In MM, the NPCs did not only feel alive, but the characters weren't walking aimlessly around not realizing the fact that they were gonna be crushed by the moon, no; they had emotions and fears and no idea of what would happen when the moon got a little to close. They were effected, not only by the moon itself, but by the skull kid. Some were cursed, some even killed, but they all had something that made you feel for them. And some even cried.

So you know what? This game gave me one of the most unique experiences, its very well done, with immerse characters, hard puzzles, and an amazing time cycle. I <3 it! :)

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
I just finished the game yesterday (wasn't planning on it, but one thing just sorta led to another) and I gotta say, it's one of the best games I've ever played. My fight with Majora was incredibly intense and epic. Here's what it was like right before I landed the final blow: No arrows, Ghot's mask (which I just wasn't able to kill) shooting balls of energy at me every once in awhile, 2 hearts left, no fairies or any other way to regain health (I was stupid enough to forget to get something), no way to get off the moon other than beating Majora so I was trapped there, it was getting to be close to the time to get to bed (had school the next day), if I didn't beat Majopra then I'd have to exit without saving, and I knew that I hadn't saved since before the final dungeon so if I was forced to turn the game off I'd have to do it all over again.
So yeah, pretty epic.
Also the characters were awesome.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
It's such a morbid and depressing game and the atmosphere reflects that quite well. I like how the Clock Town music speeds up and the moon gets closer - it really adds to the panicked feeling and the "ohmygod I can't escape". The Anju and Kafei side quest is also highly emotional and intense - you're getting a couple together to get married the night they die. I haven't finished it but I've watched so many Let's Plays and I look forward to completing my playthrough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom