• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Community Portal Project

Austin

Austin
Introduction:
Zelda Dungeon has a front page for Zelda related news. This gives reason for our Zelda fans to keep visiting our site. However, this doesn't award our true fans (the users of the community). They not only visit our front page, but keep our community active. For this, they deserve to have some their own special portal for various updates. This is where the Community Portal comes in. This will let our active users see their username on a news page, and giving them a feeling of an award for being active in our community. This will help some users who may not be as active as they want keep up with stuff. Finally, it helps visitors become new users and fit in more quicker.

Motive:
Help improve our community experience.

Tentative Plan:
I don't know how to really explain this without directly stating it. Some of you may already know some about this.

I want to have various updates each day based off various stuff. For example, Mafia Updates, Contests, Random Stuff, etc.

Here are some ideas I have in mind for things we can post on.

1) Mafia Update
The mafia game has become fairly big. Some people may have difficulty reading through posts, keeping up to date, etc. I don't play mafia, so I don't know the details that well. I hope someone who has played mafia, can give me some insight on this.

2) Contest Updates
Let it be graphics, fan fics, etc, we have various contests. This lets our community get more active and have fun with competitiveness. One of the difficulty of having contests is letting everyone know without spamming and annoying them. The community portal can help with this.

3) Various Form Updates
These updates can be rule update, new feature, etc. It sort of difficult to make a thread for this that everyone reads. I also don't like sticking threads if I don't have to. The community Portal can help with this.

4) Mini Podcast
Yes, I know that our site does monthly podcasts. These would be smaller quicker podcasts. The monthly podcast takes a month because a lot has to be done. I know that Din-Nid and Rish do a lot for these. However, what if someone wants to do one quick without waiting a month. Well with this, they can make a short few minute podcast, and it can be heard in the same week. Also, these mini podcasts can be used in the big podcast. Especially, with the ability of users to leave constructive criticism.

5) Poster of the Week/Day OR Post/Thread of the Week/Day
We occasionally do this on our main site, but they really don't intrigue our visitors. They most often pull in the fewest comments. I believe this is due to many of our front page visitors don't know the poster. With the community portal, this will be different. I believe that this will encourage users to post more and higher quality with the idea of seeing their username on the portal. Also, this may encourage a visitor to register just to post a comment on it.

6) Mini Articles, Theories, Etc
Again, we sort of already do this each Friday on the main site. However, I sort of want to feature more theory threads or mini articles. This is seems more like #5, but it doesn't hurt to state it since this is all tentative.

7) Random Stuff
I have no idea what else to call this. Example if what I mean would be a Meme of the Week. This is where I would think of a random thing to do, and users may do it. For example, posting lyrics to Mamma Mia on Miss North's Visitor Message. Another may be a random quote/saying/picture in the signatures or avatar. This can be sort of creative if you got any ideas.

8) Group Stuff
Vbulleting has a group feature that I don't know how well it is. Maybe this portal can be used to increase popularity with it. I can't think of anything right now, but feel free.

9) Blog Stuff
Maybe do a blog/blogger of the week/day. I don't know if we would include this for the poster/post. I'll let you guys decide.

Anyways, I hope you guys get a general idea of what I was thinking off. Maybe add or modify one of the ideas.

Volunteers:
I'm going to talk to Mosley and see if I can get the .psd of the image thing under the username. I also may do a user color. My hope is these two things may encourage users to volunteer with this idea. I'll try and do one thing a week, assuming people would like my meme of the week or whatever. Like our news cast, they know that to keep something up to date take steam work.

If you are curious, I do have a test forum up where I've been learning this feature. Feel free to play around with it. PM me if you want access to play around with it. Its set up at: www.zeldadungeon.net/Justin/forum/content.php

Conclusion:
Like I said, I hope that this will benefit the forums a little. I also consider it like a toy to the forums (similar to the blogs). I also have future plans for this for a Camp Hyrule idea, but that will be a thread/discussion on its own. I really hope we get some volunteers soon. I plan to get this in a week or so, but I don't exactly.

Please comment! Thanks!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well this sounds fun and that it could go a long way.

7) Random Stuff
I have no idea what else to call this. Example if what I mean would be a Meme of the Week. This is where I would think of a random thing to do, and users may do it. For example, posting lyrics to Mamma Mia on Miss North's Visitor Message. Another may be a random quote/saying/picture in the signatures or avatar. This can be sort of creative if you got any ideas.

David

But you called me here...
This sounds like a great idea Justin. I'd love to help with it if I can.

Djinn

and Tonic
I like this idea, it sounds fun...

Maybe you can revive 'Music Community Competition' and make it monthly (or every 2 weeks) competition...

Actually there has been a little bit of talk about extending the Community Competitions to every other week due to lack of entries. Some people could use the extra time to make something they otherwise would not have been able to with only a single week and the subject constantly changes.

Is it lack of interest or lack of time Djinn? One joy of having them be weekly is if people don't like the theme they don't have to participate and they aren't waiting endlessly for the next competition to begin.

I'd sign myself up for the mafia section - someone would have to work with the game mod, and it would be mostly day/night scenes... pretty much like a news report of what has been occurring. Perhaps if it gets more advanced articles on playing tips could be made as well.

Member of the week/month/day blah blah blah - Member Spotlight essentially... Excellent Idea, allows various people to get their time to shine.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
This.

I think that it would be a good idea, as the for the greatest poster thing, I'd make it each week personally, seems better than each day or month.

This. :P

Seems like a brilliant idea! I think this should be fun and I would love to help. :3

Kybyrian

Justin said:
5) Poster of the Week/Day OR Post/Thread of the Week/Day
We occasionally do this on our main site, but they really don't intrigue our visitors. They most often pull in the fewest comments. I believe this is due to many of our front page visitors don't know the poster. With the community portal, this will be different. I believe that this will encourage users to post more and higher quality with the idea of seeing their username on the portal. Also, this may encourage a visitor to register just to post a comment on it.

Actually, these usually pull in quite a few comments. Some users even register on the forums for the sole reason of posting in the featured thread. The least comments a featured thread has gotten was 54 comments, and a couple have reached well over 100 comments. The norm is around 70-90.

Also, this idea = great.

Jedizora

:right:
I suppose there could be a fanfic of the month, or something. Just a way for the writers of Zd to get a spotlight.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
I serioulsy have never heard such a good idea.

Like this (as you say) we could feel more experience. I wouldnt mind at all helping with updates or anything, since I log in almost eveyday I might help.

And I have a little suggestion (though it sounds bizarre and it migth hurt some privacy) As you know the SB can get kind of, random, so why not post or whatever with it so new users like the idea, and are encouraged to post and remain here to join it. :)
And have...a good laugh :lol:

Last edited:

Din Akera

Sniper
I'm totally on for this idea and I am more than will and can probably contribute to the portal once things settle down on my end. I think this will give the community more incentive to be active and good posters as well as encourage joining of the forums by individuals that come to the ZD main page and read what is posted. I'm in!

4) Mini Podcast
Yes, I know that our site does monthly podcasts. These would be smaller quicker podcasts. The monthly podcast takes a month because a lot has to be done. I know that Din-Nid and Rish do a lot for these. However, what if someone wants to do one quick without waiting a month. Well with this, they can make a short few minute podcast, and it can be heard in the same week. Also, these mini podcasts can be used in the big podcast. Especially, with the ability of users to leave constructive criticism.

This, however, concerns me. The main reason that Z-Talk only comes out once a month is actually to do with involvement. Because there has only been 8 Z-Talks there still isn't a lot of involvement from the community and this is precisely what we aim to do. Have everyone have their say and as many different people in one episode as possible. I worry that doing this will take away possible contributers when we are already running a little low. Of course I have absolutely no problem with this idea, i just worry that it may pull from contributing to the larger podcast.

A thought i did have though would be video casts. That is something we don't do really. Again, that might pull from the Z-Talk pool a little. But if this is something that everyone wants to do, then lets do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom