• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Fig

The Altruist
I was expecting Yoshi like every other fan here. :( I still believe that we have a chance in seeing his reveal, after it is rare to see a character be revealed be depending on the North American release of a game as Diddy Kong is so far the only character who's reveal was inspired by the North American release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. We still have a chance to see our lovable dinosaur be revealed when the Japanese release of Yoshi's New Island comes around. Yoshi just has to return to the next Smash game, he just has to! Smash without Yoshi will never feel the same! :(

Inb4 Yoshi is replaced by Yarn Yoshi. :rolleyes:

Oh no, I really hope that doesn't happen. I can understand a stage based on Yarn Yoshi, but I can't see Yarn Yoshi himself as the playable Yoshi for Smash 4.

I was expecting Yoshi like every other fan here. :( I still believe that we have a chance in seeing his reveal, after it is rare to see a character be revealed be depending on the North American release of a game as Diddy Kong is so far the only character who's reveal was inspired by the North American release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. We still have a chance to see our lovable dinosaur be revealed when the Japanese release of Yoshi's New Island comes around. Yoshi just has to return to the next Smash game, he just has to! Smash without Yoshi will never feel the same! :(

I hope at least he'll be revealed when Japan gets the game. When does the game get released over there anyway?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 17th March
zlCfzRow_BkAKVazUB

That item that brings victory one step closer...the Smash Ball! Of course everyone wants it! Come to think of it, I haven't introduced any of the Final Smashes yet... Then again, if I introduced every single one, it'd take over a month's worth of posts.
Booyeah, now we're talking. Although we are sure to not get every character's final smash shown off via a pic of the day, it is not hard to predict that we will be informed on occasion, as with Assist Trophies and Pokéballs.

Tuesday, 18th March
zlCfzRpCLAEzC-LqC4

Here's some info on the Nintendo 3DS stage called Super Mario 3D Land! First, it advances by side-scrolling…

zlCfzRpCLfEXjgpdwk

Then you continue into the valley--it's in 3D Land, after all. The protruding stone blocks change the angles of the platforms.

zlCfzRpCLsc42ZpA7g

After that, back to side-scrolling. Now it gets you moving--you'll have to trot downhill here.

zlCfzRpCMHYUiQh7v1

And finally, you get back on rails to go farther into the stage. It takes roughly two minutes to complete a lap, and at the end you go into a giant pipe that takes you back to the beginning. …I know this sequence goes above and beyond a traditional Pic of the Day, so consider this a little something extra on the side from me.
This was one of the first stages unvieled for the game, but it's always nice to have a proper explanation of how it works. The post is very reminicent of the Brawl Dojo, with its healthy amount of information and several screenshots. Any more of these I would welcome with open arms.

Wednesday, 19th March
zlCfzRpSRLAc2J3uzd

Fallen Rosalina. Strange how calm and nonchalant she looks even when she takes damage. Is it because she's from outer space?
It's been the a while since we've received a good ol' filler pic. This is one instance I'm perfectly fine with it.

Thursday, 20th March
zlCfzRpn48gcISagrY

The Peanut Popgun now deals a powerful attack when it explodes. It'll be difficult to hit your target, but when you succeed, the explosion will really blow your enemies away. Give it a shot when you break someone's shield.
Far from easy to do, I can't imagine this holding back on the power. Anybody who actually manages surely deserves themselves a kill.

Friday, 21st March
zlCfzRp9xjUkiqVOYH

The most powerful commander of the Forces of Nature, Lightning Flash Phosphora!!

zlCfzRp9yR4PMOWxQl

…is a Trophy. The detail in her scarf is amazing.
Sakurai has great taste. This is the third trophy revealed; the second on Wii U. It is just as notable for the fact Phosphora only appeared in a handheld game and is in the selection of Wii U trophies regardless.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
What game is this trophy from?

It is from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Yeah, sorry, I should have brought that up.

Today, images of pages from a Japanese Magazine have been circulating the internet. The one page from the official source (http://www.famitsu.com/dswii/) is shown below.
tachiyomi_cover_03.jpg
Thankfully, the other SSB4-related pages have found their way online, four in total. Let's look at them all.

The first page is the same shown above. It relates to the most recent veteran revealed, Diddy Kong, and the most recent newcomer, Little Mac. Every screenshot on this page is new. Unfortunately, there is no absolute new information about either character.
2zs5r36.jpg
The second page is of all four previously-revealed newcomers. All screenshots on this page are reused daily pics and official site images.
rlgi6w.jpg
The third page showcases every other character. The images for Mario, Bowser, Olimar, Sonic and King Dedede are new.
28v4uub.jpg
The fourth and final page shows elements such as items, assist trophies and pokéballs, not to mention the refined ledge-grabbing mechanic and trophies. They are all reused screens. There's also some hand-drawn fanart to end off the Smash Brothers section.
28i5dz7.jpg

There's the odd thing in these pages we see for the first time, such as Sonic's returning forward throw and the fact Giga Mac can grab characters. Translations floating around state that none of the descriptions are too noteworthy, apparently. Even the Zelda picture, despite showing the mysterious and infamous Phantom, is nothing more than the same speculation we have seen up to this point (ie. Is this a new move? Will Sheik return as a transformation?). Xerneas, the Dark Emperor and the male Wii Fit Trainer are unknown what they are to us right now, so make of all this as you will.

Credit goes to Smashboards user Venus of the Desert Bloom for these photos in particular. Bless Google Image search.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 24th March
zlCfzRrFjJ4-_JuNwq

Never bully Cuccos. Seriously, attacking them is out of the question! This has always been a cardinal rule of The Legend of Zelda series.
New item? If so, this is our third from Zelda, and sixth overall. I can imagine the chaos of the Cucco already; attacking the creature to spawn dozens more in a frenzy.

Tuesday, 25th March
zlCfzRrYKTkwJNfwDa

Here's a comparison of characters with and without their outlines on the 3DS version. They also give off a different impression in 3D, so customize the look however you like.
I believe this is the first comfirmation of 3D in the game, which is nice. The addition of optional outlines is understandable when looking at the characters from distance, making them easier to differentiate from the background.

Wednesday, 26th March
zlCfzRrtpFQ02MRGOR

Here's a giant attack item, the Ore Club! It's made of minerals mined on the mountain of the gods. This bulky weapon can even unleash tornadoes.
Make that seven new items. This is the definitive club weapon from Kid Icarus: Uprising, and if it were to act anything like it is there, the Ore Club should boast great power at the cost of slowing down the user tremendously.

Thursday, 27th March
zlCfzRsFF4IjCXxbun

Oh, Uncle Andross. He really isn't very considerate.
Andross comes from Star Fox, making him only the second element from that series to be in the game so far, after playable Fox McCloud. This appearance comes from the first Star Fox game on SNES, and it is just how Andross featured when he was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, his 16-bit form. Assuming he takes the same role here, this makes him the seventh Assist Trophy and forth returning one.

Friday, 28th March
zlCfzRsYCeYgFkrGML

Here's the Prism Tower stage for the 3DS version! The battle begins on ground level right in front of the tower.

zlCfzRsYC_cAAno1p8

You'll have to climb the tower by securing footholds like these moving platforms!

zlCfzRsYDSY9uwVhQZ

By the time you reach the top, the sun is already setting. The view from up there is quite a treat.
Another 3DS tour. This is of the very recently revealed Prism Tower stage from Pokémon X & Y. The one screen we saw before was a nighttime setting, meaning it comes after these new images.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 31st March
zlCfzRtfkzArFiSDuo

Luigi might be thinking, "Who would've thought I'd get to show off the Poltergust in Super Smash Bros.?!" Wondering if it's going to suck something in? Yeah, it probably will.
The first hint at a new Final Smash of a veteran character. The Negative Zone sure was beautiful, although the Poltergust has seen its desires. This is one element we're going to have see in action to do it justice.

Tuesday, 1st April
zlCfzRt1pTQQ2NtXrn

This may look like a side-scrolling action game, but it's actually one of the stages.
Very mysterious stage given the vague comment. It bears similarities to the Palutena Temple stage we have seen so little of, but the sections are completely different. This would mean either a very large stage, like Temple, or a transitioning stage, like Castle Siege. The Spring is unfamiliar to this area, and it looks like those in the Supspace Emissary and Stage Builder in Brawl, suggesting the stage could be something from one of those. The Spiked Ball hazard (which may or may not be Kirby) is just another aspect that makes pinpointing an origin difficult.

Wednesday, 2nd April
zlCfzRuL6KsKcL-Kru

The Gust Bellows can blow opponents away with its powerful wind blasts. When someone drops it, though, the gusts run wild! Out of the new items, more than a few will be from The Legend of Zelda series. We'll take the most interesting and straightforward ones and reformulate them to match the Smash Bros. world.
This second item from Skyward Sword, the first being the Beetle, should create more than a few wacky situations. It's good to see plenty of new Zelda items, especially since previous Super Smash Bros. games added only one each, for a total of three in Brawl. We already have that beat in this title alone. It is hinted we will see even more Zelda items in the future, so look forward to those.

Thursday, 3rd April
zlCfzRunBOsVbl0S85

Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash! From left to right, you can see this combo starting with Pikachu throwing the opponent upward, Meteor Smashing with the lightning strike, and then directly attacking. Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently, but when it does, it sure feels good!
This will certainly be bringing new tactics with the returning move. The bolt of thunder seems to be a quick strike instead of creating a pure wall like before, which is good news for those who still must avoid it.

Friday, 4th April
zlCfzRvAFKkPNj4zaJ

Hello fighters! I'll assist you with fresh-picked fruit from my town!♪

Congratulations on your appearance Isabelle!
I also have another important announcement.
On 4/8, at 3 PM PST (8/4 11 PM UK time), we'll be airing a Super Smash Bros. Direct!! There will be all kinds of info about the new Smash Bros. games on this simultaneous global stream that will be delivered "directly" to you, so don't miss it!
You'll be able to watch the stream from the official site (www.smashbros.com).

Our fourth new Assist Trophy. Coming from the Animal Crossing series, Isabelle is the second assist orignating from it, after Mr. Resetti in Brawl.

We also have a Nintendo Direct dedicated to Smash Brothers next week. Mark your calenders, folks. :ssb:

Beeker

Wild Card
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/04/new-nintendo-direct-to-focus-on-super-smash-bros

Woah guys, check this out!

tumblr_n3hyhtOa0K1qfwzeuo1_1280.png

That's for the UK, but North America will also get a Direct, around 3(PT) or 6(ET) pm, depending on your timezone. Usually when in a Direct, Smash Brothers news involves a newcomer reveal. But with a presentation dedicated exclusively to it, we could hear about perhaps another new character and so much more!

What do you think they'll discuss? Game modes and other features, or maybe a release window?(that's what I'm hoping for at least anyway...:sweat:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom