• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword: The Worst 3D Zelda Title

I haven't finished SS yet (I just completed the hero song except for levias part) and I can't disagree more with this topic statement. I played every 3D zelda title and SS still managed to surprise me with new stuff. The whole design of the surface making each area more like a puzzle than a plain boring area like old fashion Hyrule field is awesome. The items (especially the beetle) work very well and are very useful in many more places than just the dungeon you find them in. The story so far is very good. I don't mind that you can't skip the cutscenes too much, except for the boss introduction after I died for the 5th time. The dungeons are also a lot of fun. OK, the first dungeon is a bit more boring than the rest, but too be honest the deku tree in OoT is also quite boring if you really look at what you have to do in the dungeon. And the dungeons in lanayru are so creative with the timeshift stones that a more plain dungeon like the skyview temple can be forgiven. I really enjoy the game so far and like I said, it still manages to surprise me with new things while being the zelda that I know. I don't know exactly how long I'm playing the game and why should I care. No matter if I finish the game in 100 hours or in 30, I enjoyed every minute of it and that is what counts.

The only downsides I have with this game is the use of the shield and dowsing. Because the shield is breakable I barely use it and it should have deflected those grass octorock stones automatically instead of a shield bash. The lack of a shield gives the game more challenge though. And for dowsing, it is pretty useful but sometimes I don't understand the signal. When I was dowsing for goddess cubes in faron woods, I got a really strong signal at some point. I walked towards it and it was a transition to another area. Then the signal was weak again. So either that cube is somewhere hidden in the loading screen or behind the rocks. It just always annoys me when I get a signal and I end up looking at a unpassable wall...just tell me how I can get find the stupid thing and not that it is on the other side of a wall -.-

When the signal is really strong going into another area, that means the goddess cube is in that area and once you get into that area you have to locate where in the area it's at.

When the signal is really strong going into another area, that means the goddess cube is in that area and once you get into that area you have to locate where in the area it's at.

Yeah, dowsing works. Searching still somewhat involves work to find the object you're looking for. Objects can be found behind walls and/or on upper levels of certain locales, but dowsing works.

I never said it didn't... I was just explaining his trouble and situation so he could understand it a little better of why it disappears when he transitions to another area.

I never said it didn't... I was just explaining his trouble and situation so he could understand it a little better of why it disappears when he transitions to another area.

I never said you said it didn't work. I was agreeing with your statement 100%. lol Gosh, I seriously must be learn to be clearer... *facepalms*

BTW: Smitie's a she. :yes:

Ah... I see now what you were saying and how you were saying it. It was just a little odd worded... and my apologies to Smitie lol

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I didn't say the dowsing doesn't work. It just annoys me when I have been walking slowly with the sword trying to find a signal and then when I think I'm almost there I go to another area and have to basically start over again. It is just a minor complaint though, the rest of the game is awesome :D

and I accept your apologies crash :P

Epona

Ordon Village
Skyward Sword is one of my favorite Zelda games, if not THE favorite. I love pretty much everything about it. I strongly disagree that it's the worst. There are other games that I could consider far worse.

Okay, for one, you say, "If you don't like the game, don't play it.". This doesn't make any sense how can you know if you don't like it if you haven't played it. This being besides the point, didn't we all love the vast open land that was Hyrule? Skyward Sword has taken this vast, open land that we call Hyrule and changed it into a "go here, then go here". I don't want to just go here, then go there. The sky is large and explorable, but there is largely nothing to do within it. When there is, it's usually gathering various goddess chests you have obtained already from the land below. This only made me have to go to some tiny little island that is already marked on my map, so I have no reason to explore any further, and then solve some tiny and obvious puzzle using the item I had just received. I don't know if I would say this is the worst 3D Zelda title, but they took Hyrule from me, and that is infuriating.

I am just part way through it. I am moving to a larger home, going out of town for a few days, and my daughter is coming to live with me so I will sadly be on hiatus from it for probably a good two to three weeks while I get everything situated. It kills me but that's life. Anyway I can't wait until I can get back into it. So far I would say it's probably in the number two or three spot but I am far from finished so I'll to reserve judgement until I complete the game and I have remained spoiler free so I have no idea what is going to happen yet.

Okay, for one, you say, "If you don't like the game, don't play it.". This doesn't make any sense how can you know if you don't like it if you haven't played it. This being besides the point, didn't we all love the vast open land that was Hyrule? Skyward Sword has taken this vast, open land that we call Hyrule and changed it into a "go here, then go here". I don't want to just go here, then go there. The sky is large and explorable, but there is largely nothing to do within it. When there is, it's usually gathering various goddess chests you have obtained already from the land below. This only made me have to go to some tiny little island that is already marked on my map, so I have no reason to explore any further, and then solve some tiny and obvious puzzle using the item I had just received. I don't know if I would say this is the worst 3D Zelda title, but they took Hyrule from me, and that is infuriating.

Actually I disagree and I based this on fact that the over world in OOT and TP were quite barren and empty especially TP which is bigger then both OOT and MM. We did establish early in this thread that SS won't appeal to everyone and that SS not having a over world in the same manner will make some their least favorite game in the series. Personally I think SS's over world actually had meaning to it and I still felt the sense of exploring areas even when the over world was somewhat smaller then TTW and TP. Just finding those goddess cubes, bugs for the potions, items for upgrading, and any hidden heart pieces or chests give me a sense of exploring. I would rather Zelda not become completely non-linear and be nothing but a Elder Scrolls knock off with a huge empty over world. That is why many of us have no problem with SS's format and this is why I consider TP to be the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion of the series and that's what it feels like to me.

I see what your saying but that's how LoZ started. I've been playing LoZ since my first copy of ALttP when I was very, very young, and that is still my favorite Zelda to date. With such a diversity in temples and items, a huge (for that time) overworld to explore, practical uses with items both for combat and puzzles, perplexing dungeons, amusing and funny characters and the crazy and ominous Dark World, it's hard for SS to compare IMO. While SS does still has amusing and funny characters, it doesn't appear to have any of the other things I mentioned. The side quests are fun, but still just..... different. SS is a good game but it's definitely changed a key element and makes it feel a less like Zelda. TP is also a big offender, as for OoT, you have to forgive it in that respect, as it had plenty else to bring to the table.

E

Emperoreddy

I can't disagree with with the OP more, but then that is what opinions are and the problem with throwing around the terms "Best" and "worst". I mean all our opinions, even our objective ones are effected by our experiences of playing the actual games. For example, I actually rank Wind Waker near the top of my list of Zelda games (it switches in and out of number 1 with MM, LttP, and now SS), there is just something about the look, the feel, the plot, etc that really grabs me, much more so then say OoT (I think it has to do with WW IMO being the one true successor and companion to OoT, but that's another story). Point being is that many MANY people knock WW down because of the Triforce quest towards the end, and if you actually write and and explain what the quest is I actually would agree that it sounds terrible. In practice though I really enjoyed it, the idea, the exploration so I don't knock WW down at all and leave it at the top. TP I just want to bury in a hole on the other side, the regular gameplay makes me want to play OoT or Wind Waker, and the Wolf parts just made me miss Okami.

Point being, if you didn't like flying around and not having a connected overworld, you are going to knock this game down despite what anyone says and you have a right to think the game is inferior for it. It is a feature that is changed and different, and can be argued both ways on whether it is better, worse or neutral. I think for this game it works really well, the lack of an overworld is implemented well and I don't really miss it here (but I don't really want it to become a regular thing in the future)

Somethings though are stretching it in here. I don't get the low ranks on Skyloft, especially in comparison to TP's Castle Town (which was rather uninteresting and barren). Also not fair to have expected Clock Town, I'm sorry but I doubt we will see one town that diverse again. The whole game was literally built around it, so the town HAD to be like that or MM fails badly. Would I have liked a 2nd town, maybe, but I think the lack of towns really works with the theme of this primordial Hyrule where all the races either don't exist yet, or are more tribal, just sort of starting out (or long since dead with the robots). Same with Skyloft, actually bookends nicely with Wind Waker which felt very similar, but only because civilization was on the downswing (sorry really digging my Zelda trilogy of SS, OoT, WW in my head)

SS is as good as it gets in my book, but there are definitely flaws. My biggest complaint was Fi, Fi, Fi. Navi was like a silent saint in comparison. In cutscenes and story breaks her analytic deadpan snark sort of worked and I developed some emotions towards her, but during gameplay it failed terribly (in comparison to Navi who even when being annoying during gameplay still had some charm). I get I am low on hearts, the damn heart alarm is going off, I don't need more reminders. Also I didn't 100% buy the Imprisoned as a threat, its wiggly toes made it look so goofy, and the boss fights were more frustrating then epic or fun (more so with its dumb arms blocking my road to the head.)

there are better zelda games, but it is absolutely not the worst. It has great graphics and brand new puzzels. I don't know what people are complainin' about.

yeah i can tell what you mean, skyward sword was my first thought, a cheesy title. and i dont like how that sword is represented as a main part, either. always it was the master sword. and not the skyward strike, either, i prefered the spin attack as the more main line of offense. I do wish there were more cities too. too many sidequests happened to be on skyloft which makes it seem more crowded. having more towns, too, did give a sense of security to me so i could always just go and heal up or something. i also really wish their was hyrule, too. Hyrule is like the main place, right? And although playing the harp is pretty, it lacked what all the other zelda instruments had: PLAYING ACTUAL NOTES. i felt that was an enourmous hole in the game. But there were several things that i did love too. i do think it is my second favorite game in the entire series, next to wind waker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom