• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword: The Worst 3D Zelda Title

This thread has gone on far too long and no-one is getting anywhere as no-one is willing to back down.

You have your opinions, other have their own. Can't we just leave it at that and be done with this bickering?

I disagree. There are still things we have to work out.

Did anyone else feel that the lack of a horse and field to ride it on was a step-up from previous games, or a step in the wrong direction?

I think some of the most fun I've had in Zelda was riding on my horse through Hyrule or Termina, I and would've loved that in Skyward Sword. Yet another reason I don't love it that much...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Did anyone else feel that the lack of a horse and field to ride it on was a step-up from previous games, or a step in the wrong direction?

Nope, because in this game they're experimenting with the Dashing ability. Don't worry, though; they'll bring Epona back in a future title, but Skyward Sword was a title where they try new things out while having it go along with a fantastic story. Despite their tests, it's still a very solid game. :)

I think some of the most fun I've had in Zelda was riding on my horse through Hyrule or Termina, I and would've loved that in Skyward Sword. Yet another reason I don't love it that much...

It was fun, but as I stated above they're going for new things--expanding the formula a little bit more. Such changes are welcome to me, because it allows us to go even further into the immersiveness of the experience.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That's what just makes my mind explode into a million pieces. Good is dependent on the beholder (like beauty). So, say a game has this aspect of it. I wouldn't say it is good if I do not like it, right? If I'm disappointed in something, it isn't good to me therefore the game has some bad aspects and it is not good. Augh, never mind, I can't think of how to properly word it.

I know exactly what you're trying to say, but there's a huge difference between personal disappointments and actual greatness. You've pointed this out yourself by saying you'd give SS a 10 by normal standards, but a 9.3 for personal reasons.

L

Linkalicious

Personally I love the game I'm still in the process of playing it and haven't found anything that I found lacking. I admit I do miss Epona but the replacement of getting to fly through the vast skies surrounding skyloft was well worth it... I mean when I heard wind waker would have a boat and Oceans in replacement I wasn't to thrilled with it but it has turnd out to be one of the best Zelda games to date. Also as was mentioned earlier this is supposed to be the beginning of it all and there won't be A huge thriving metroplis like in preveious game (which is an aspect I myself enjoyed). I found the game entertaining and exciting I have no complaints in my opinion best Zelda game yet.

Firstly, Epona's only really been in 2 of the games, and in one of them she wasn't even a necessity to beat the game, necessary to 100%, but not necessary to beat the game. So, given this knowledge and logic, she's really been only essential in 1 game, which was TP. How did we get over the field before? by walking and warping. The Loftwing was a great replacement for a horse we've only had to have once.

Now... don't get me wrong, I love Epona, she's a great companion, but if they have something to replace her, it's alright. I loved my bird, I thought he was pretty sweet. I only wish we could have named him, if that were possible, I'd probably love him as much as Epona.

You forgot the bridge to enter the Gerudo Fortress (Oot)

I'm not wrong, I said essential, and she wasn't essential for that. Essential to get there early, but not to get there. There's also the longshot that could get you across the gorge, still making Epona in OoT a luxury and not a necessity.

MW7

I'm not wrong, I said essential, and she wasn't essential for that. Essential to get there early, but not to get there. There's also the longshot that could get you across the gorge, still making Epona in OoT a luxury and not a necessity.

That's true. Did you forget Majora's Mask though? I'm 99% sure there isn't a way to beat the game without Epona (excluding glitches).

Majora's Mask skipped my mind... I tend to link Majora's Mask and OoT together since they're the same Link...

Hmm... I find it quite interesting that people are complaining about the smaller dungeons in Skyward Sword. I mean of course they were more dense, but they were also full of activity, and that was Nintendo's intent in the first place. You should have expected it, to be honest. You should have also noted that most of the overworld was very dungeon-like in and of itself. For instance, much of the Lanayru region felt like a huge puzzle; I actually could not wait to complete it and gtf out of there (lol). From that, I immediately picked up on the departure from the traditional flow that Aonuma-san so fervently asserted. I felt the overworld segments melded seamlessly into the dungeons. There were also some places - including dungeons - to which we had to revisit later in the game, and with each return came new surprises: There were tougher enemies, new puzzle elements, and the ability to reach areas that were originally inaccessible on our first visit; not to mention the Silent Realm, which brought to the experience a sense of stealth and urgency in alternate version of said areas. I personally thought those aspects were all resplendently done. What I got from Skyward Sword was an overworld - dense - but full of activity, which is why others felt that Hyrule Field was absent this time around when, technically it was, but was still there in spirit; it just received a face lift. Many of us were wishing for it, and we got it. All I can say is maybe some of us should have been careful what we wished for, eh? (< lol I've already used that twice) Here's hoping for the return to an overworld a la Twilight Princess in the next game. ;)

My only complaint - sticking to the topic of the overworld - was the disjointedness of the three provinces. In my opinion, this is nothing major, but it would have been nice if at some point in the game you could connect them.

Please note: I intentionally left out other sub-topics beyond the change in traditional formula. I feel as though much of what I've already said concerning anything else has become trite. :yes:

New Link

Link's Reincarnation
I do have to say something about the subject. I loved Skyward Sword! BUT! There has only been five 3d zelda games. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time, AND twilight princess better that skyward sword. This is because they have harder puzzles. Plus SS is just as linear as TP. I also liked TP better because it has more charecters I care about and things like that. I liked MM and WW better because i feel like those games had the REAL life stand point. WW (which is my favorite zelda) had the huge world which took longer to get around and had the great sidequests and things. MM had the best puzzles and just felt again more real). I loved skyward sword! But I wouldnt put it ahead of these great games! I feel like nintendo was just trying to fix the mistakes of TP and ST in this game. Dont take me wrong there is no such thing as a bad Zelda game

S

ShadowMoon

I am an avid Zelda fan (I've finished Oot like 13 times :p) and have to say that SS was the most disappointing Zelda game I have ever played so far. That is worse than link to the past, minish cap, majoras mask, oot, tp. I know this post is going to be flamed, and that is fine. You are entitled to your own opinions, and I am entitled to my own.

1. The game and story were incredibly boring and drawn out. Sure, it had some funny bits but it just seemed too wordy to me. For instance, it takes roughly an hour before you actually get to "do something." It makes you run around Skyloft and watch a tonne of cinematics. You start the game, and are interested.

In Oot, you watch a short intro with navi. You get out of bed and are instantly searching for a shield/sword. Say that takes you another 5 min. BAM. First temple in the Deku tree which is interesting. The spider web was clever.

In SS, blah blah controls blah blah Zelda talking for 10 min blah blah blah running around randomly blah groose. The groose scene was funny, but just went for too long. After that, you find your bird and do the race. There is no competitiveness to the race. I literally put down the controller and came back 20 min later and had no disadvantage. You can't lose the race. How boring is that? Eventually, you get to the forest and need to find kiwis. That is after talking to impa for ages... Kiwis are a joke, graphics wise. After spending maybe 30min searching for kiwis, your are bored out of your brain. FINALLY, we reach a temple. Temples are filled with stones that tell you exactly what to do. On the map, switches are marked. The temples are repetitive, boring and short. SS felt like I was just following an instruction manual.

The Harp. Wow. WORST instrument ever in a zelda game. In Oot and Mm, we had the ocarina. It let us play actual music on it. We had to remember the songs. In SS? No. You have to "strum" which basically means wave the wii remote crazily ( it works. You don't need to do it in-time ). Then, it plays the right song accordingly. That was so disappointing.

Bosses. Maybe give us some unique bosses instead of forcing us to kill the same thing, over and over and over. It's boring. Garaheem was funny, but when forced to kill him a third time? Not even Oot made you kill the same boss THREE times. Same tactic kills them. Ganondorf (or the Demise) was lame. Whack him a few times and he dies. Attacks are predictable and blocked easily using a wooden shield. I killed him ( lost 2 hearts without any potions ) and my sister ( who was watching, also a long time Zelda fan) was like.. "that can't be it, seriously...?"

Ok, so those are the major ones. Some aspects of SS I liked. Timeshift zones are amazing. I loved just running around and watching the world transform around me. Trial zones are a major improvement over TP. The spirit world looks pretty, and it's fun running from guardians when you accidentally fall into water. The trial rewards were lame. Fire earrings? Why not a fire tunic...? How exactly do earrings stop links clothes from burning?

Some names in this post are spelt incorrectly. I typed this on an iPad and it autocorrected them. I can't be bothered fixing it.

Also, what is with Zelda's cat? I threw it over the edge of Skyloft and it respawned behind me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I have to disagree with Skyward Sword being the worst 3D Zelda to date. I honestly think it is quite possibly the best from what I have played so far. The things I have enjoyed the story the most, the game play the most, and the characters the most out of all the 3D titles to date. Skyward Sword to me looks like Nintendo took almost all the good things in the Zelda franchise, put them together and added more amazing stuff in the mix. I'm going to talk about what I think makes it the best 3D Zelda to date now.

The story. The story this time around doesn't seem like it will be misleading and fail like Twilight Princesses. It looks like it will move along smoothly and be a very awesome story. It seems like it will be very story story heavy for a Zelda game, I don't know for sure because I am only halfway through Lanayru Mining Facility and won't be able to play until Christmas. The story is very interesting to me and I like good stories in games, and the Zelda series is not known for having the best and complex stories out there, so this is a breath of fresh air. I can say for sure that the only 3D Zelda game that has come close to having a story as good or better than Skyward Sword's is Majora's Mask. I can't wait to play more into the game so I can get more story revealed to me.

The game play by far is the best in all the 3D games. It is a joy to play they worked on the combat so much and made it so fun to fight even the littler more unimportant enemies. Everything has the potential to kill you and you have to react fast with your sword. The game play is much smoother and more fun to play overall. The only problem with it is that you have to calibrate so often. The puzzles are well thought out for Wii motion plus and are still as challenging and fun to solve as ever. The game play is what I think shines on the game most and with the addition of the dash meter, it makes it even more fun to play and adds even more to the experience.

Last but not least is the characters. The characters are fantastic this time around. They have a lot more depth to them than previous Zelda games and are a joy to talk to and hear. I can see why reviews can see why this game was begging for voice acting because not that I'm a voice acting enthusiast, but I think that it can be done well and I think Skyward Sword might have benefited from it. Groose and Zelda are possibly my two new favorite characters in the Zelda series as a whole. This incarnation of Zelda is fantastic she is very creative and probably in my top ten for the best Zelda characters. Groose like the Biff Tannen of the Zelda series and he's one of the most hilarious characters in the Zelda. I like all the characters, and I think Nintendo really stepped up on them this time around.

Those are the reasons so far why I think Skyward Sword is the best 3D game so far. I haven't beaten the game yet, so I think my opinion is very flexible at this point. I'll just have to see how the rest of the game plays out.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
YOU MAD BRO!

Seriously! People complained that Twilight Princess was too similar to Ocarina of Time. I understand that you like that game a lot, maybe a little too much, but make up your mind! I love Skyward Sword, and I love that Nintendo changed up the series for the best. Hey haters, guess what? Aonuma has announced that Zelda WiiU will be different, much like Skyward Sword, well at least you can't say they didn't warn you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom