• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Skyward Sword HD Discussion

Skyward Sword HD

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member

So, it looks like Nintendo has made more changes in SSHD than they've bothered make clear so far. I don't exactly understand why, when something like a free camera is a really nice addition to the game (and can be seen near the end of the above clip. Gives the appearance that this is more low-effort than it actually is.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member

So, it looks like Nintendo has made more changes in SSHD than they've bothered make clear so far. I don't exactly understand why, when something like a free camera is a really nice addition to the game (and can be seen near the end of the above clip. Gives the appearance that this is more low-effort than it actually is.

Was Link’s voice always that deep in SS? Maybe I’ve just played too much HW recently, but it sounds way deeper to me then it should in that video.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Still have to get used to the buttons. And to change the camera direction by hand everytime isn't that great either. But hey, it's still early. I just reached the sealed grounds so plenty of time to get used to this stuff

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I've been playing for 3 minutes (so no gameplay yet) and already this is so much better- you can spam y to recenter the joycon during cutscenes which means I can make a super annoying beeping sound the whole time

EDIT: JK THE STAMINA WHEEL LASTS A MILLION TIMES LONGER AND ITS ACTUALLY SO EASY TO CONTROL WHETHER OR NOT YOU RUN UP WALLS NOW

Last edited:
So i'm about 5 hours into this game and here are my thoughts. I'm gonna go on a rant about the controls. I'll talk about the actual game later.

Firstly Motion controls and Button controls are both half assed.

Let me explain. We'll begin with the button controls

The button controls forces you to use L shoulder to control camera, that takes getting use to, but a more sensible option would have been to default to camera and have the button for combat or have an option to change it. Either way I feel like this was a major oversight and they cobbled together a solution without thinking about it. The sword Right stick has delays and isn't intuitive or responsive as it should be. Having a button for "basic" attacks would been a good addition for general overworld use like smashing pots or killing basic enemies. Randomise vertical or horizontal slash with it.

Now there are benifits to button controls in that the Stabbing and shield controls are vastly superior as are the throwing and Skyloft/Beetle. I just wish they would have allowed more customization with the controls like changing the L button for combat and camera as an option or changing L to LR for camera. These are basic things they could have implemented to make it more intuitive.

The Motion controls sword is far superior to buttons. its more responsive and accurate...with the exception of the abysmal Shield and Stabbing. The stabbing should have been assigned to a button. Its terrible with motion. With the garbage Nintendo joycon drifts being an issue i don't know how long you'll be able to use the right stick as a sword in the long run. It also messes with camera. Camera controls obviously vastly superior in motion mode as its seamless. Skyloft and Beetle controls are abysmal with motion. Especially on switch where you have to recalibrate the damn cursor every 2 mins. It worked better on wii but even then it wasnt' good. I think what they should do is scrap motion for skyloft/beetle all together. Its just Bad. Straight up Bad. Especially on Switch. I think the motion on the Wii was better for these sections. I dont' remember having so much trouble back then. Then again I didn't like them back then either.

I'm basically fighting between both Motion and button and after 5 hours...i still don't know which i prefer. I am getting use to some parts but it shouldn't be this hard

AS for the game itself..its vastly and i mean VASTLY superior to the original. Even with control inconsistencies(which an be ironed out in the future) the game looks better. Runs better(smooth 60FPS) and has been streamlined to perfection. Skippable cutscenes Fi not being an annoying ***** all the time and general good QoL improvements. Also despite my concerns with button controls..the ability to use the for the skyloft and Beetle is a major plus. Those parts should have never been forced motion in the original.

Skyward Sword was a 7/10 game for me on the Wii. Sometimes bordering 6/10 end game with its tedium. Its a solid 8 now although it can't go higher due to controls. My opinion might change. I know SS has some neat dungeons. Its great to play some more traditional dungeons again after BOTW which while an amazing game had some abysmal dungeons.

Still have to get used to the buttons. And to change the camera direction by hand everytime isn't that great either. But hey, it's still early. I just reached the sealed grounds so plenty of time to get used to this stuff

The problem is you can get use to it but when you play pretty much any other game out there you have to go back to normal controls.

I'm playing Scarlet Nexus as well and like 99% of games it has basic right stick camera. So does Rachet.

Mikey the Moblin

The button controls forces you to use L shoulder to control camera, that takes getting use to, but a more sensible option would have been to default to camera and have the button for combat or have an option to change it
Left trigger to center camera is not only how the regular skyward sword works, it's how games like oot worked as well. It's fine

I just wish they would have allowed more customization with the controls like changing the L button for combat and camera as an option or changing L to LR for camera.
Use the switch custom mapping

The Motion controls sword is far superior to buttons. its more responsive and accurate...with the exception of the abysmal Shield and Stabbing
I prefer Wii motion plus so far

Left Trigger to center the camera is an ancient outdated gaming mechanic. I'm never using that unless I need to quickly focus on stuff or shift to a certain position. I realize it was in the original and that was one of the faults. OoT is my all time fav game..but lets be real. Its an N64 game released in 1998. When you're charging $60 for what is a 10 year old game. I expect certain standards. Now granted....they did include full camera control but it has flaws. Internally changing switch controls is annoying because it changes the way i play other games. It could have easily been done in the game.

I think we can both agree that full camera control makes the game much better. ITs just a more immersive experience because you're in control of the surrounding and views. The old use Trigger to center camera isn't used in modern games. And lets get something straight. BOTW and BOTW2 have full camera movement. So did Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Games older than Skyward Sword.

SS not having full camera movement in the Original version was a major fault.

Mikey the Moblin

Oh forgot to mention that theres an option to control the camera via motion controls

There's nothing wrong with the switch mapping, you can use the preset feature to load up a map for a specific game. I do it for botw and I already swapped a and b for skyward sword. Is not hard

The camera wont move while you're sprinting which is a flaw, makes me rather walk everywhere
And twilight princess doesnt have a free camera either
The only wii game to have one was like mario galaxy and that was incredibly limited

The moment analogue sword controls were announced I thought they should have designated it for the free camera instead. I just assumed that we weren't getting a free camera in exchange for these sword controls.

However, I mentioned this to a couple friends aftet that announcement, that the R stick should have been the camera, but then have optional analogue sword controls occur while pressing the L-button. Since, you'd more than likely be using the L-target function for sword play anyway, and therefore already pressing that button before you would need to swing your sword. With the exception of BotW because of its different camera feel, I never felt compelled to spin the camera while L-targetting either, so that felt like the most natural way to go about implementing both sword and camera with the R-stick.

Imagine my surprise when the free camera was confirmed a few days ago, and it worked the opposite to what my idea was. They should add a setting to switch which thing is given priority, and which thing you should press the trigger button to use along with the stick input.

Mind you, I don't own SSHD (yet) so I have no hands-on experience accounting how natural or awkward the current mapping is.

Oh forgot to mention that theres an option to control the camera via motion controls

There's nothing wrong with the switch mapping, you can use the preset feature to load up a map for a specific game. I do it for botw and I already swapped a and b for skyward sword. Is not hard

The camera wont move while you're sprinting which is a flaw, makes me rather walk everywhere
And twilight princess doesnt have a free camera either
The only wii game to have one was like mario galaxy and that was incredibly limited

The motion camera is awful. truly awful. Go check it out. Maybe you're right, presets might be the way to go....or I can just use my Gamecube Controller which has the L button as the bottom shoulder. Ill have to try that out.

And TP did have camera control it wasn't the best but it did. MAybe you're thinking about the Wii version which imo is the worst version. I played TP the way it was meant to be played. On a Gamecube as Left handed Link with camera controls.

The moment analogue sword controls were announced I thought they should have designated it for the free camera instead. I just assumed that we weren't getting a free camera in exchange for these sword controls.

However, I mentioned this to a couple friends aftet that announcement, that the R stick should have been the camera, but then have optional analogue sword controls occur while pressing the L-button. Since, you'd more than likely be using the L-target function for sword play anyway, and therefore already pressing that button before you would need to swing your sword. With the exception of BotW because of its different camera feel, I never felt compelled to spin the camera while L-targetting either, so that felt like the most natural way to go about implementing both sword and camera with the R-stick.

Imagine my surprise when the free camera was confirmed a few days ago, and it worked the opposite to what my idea was. They should add a setting to switch which thing is given priority, and which thing you should press the trigger button to use along with the stick input.

Mind you, I don't own SSHD (yet) so I have no hands-on experience accounting how natural or awkward the current mapping is.

Unfortunately we'll have to get use to it. And thats a sad thing because SSHD will be the only game in history with these controls. No other game will use this option. So its like get use to these bad controls for one game and never use them again.

Nintendo were lazy full stop. They could have made more options and done more work. And judging by the actual added content in the game...seems like they wanted to do minimal work. But charge us $60 for it.

But I give them credit for 60FPS and putting a ducktape on Fi. Thats something at least.

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Got to the end of the first dungeon and so far it’s still just OK for me. I think I just need to get used to the new layout. ZR for the item wheel feels pretty unnatural, as does holding the joycons to be honest. They’re not as comfortable IMO as the Wiimote and Nunchuck were to play with for an extended period.

with the exception of the abysmal Shield and Stabbing. The stabbing should have been assigned to a button.
So far, this is one of my major complaints for this version. I’ve been finding that if you recalibrate (press y) before you thrust forward, it seems to help. I’ve also been having trouble crossing the rope wires on the Switch version. Not sure what’s up with that as I had no trouble on the Wii with that at all.

My other major complaint is the crawling text in cutscenes. I love the speed you can scroll through non-cutscene text boxes and wish I could do the same in cutscenes. T h e. T e x t. A p p e a r s. S o. S l o w l y. I, and assumedly most people, can read way faster. It annoyed me in the original, but it somehow feels even slower in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom