• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Ending Discussion Thread (OoT and SS Spoilers)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I honestly don't think this is possible. The only reason there's a split at the end of OoT is because Zelda created one when she sent Link back to his own time. There's only a linear span of time in the 1000 years that passed after Demise was defeated. Since there's no split, there's no way there can be two splits in the timeline. It's not a bad theory, but it's, sadly, misguided. (It's sad because it'd be the perfect way to accurately place the FSS.)

Last edited:
I don't think SS causes a new split, but if it does create one, it would be a good place to have the FSS on. Nevertheless, I think JuiceJ is spot on when he pointed out that it was Zelda's actions as the Sage of Time that caused the split. The OoT split has no cause in the changing of the past (since Link does that all the time). Notice that there are no other (confirmed) splits after the other time travelling games (i.e. MM, OoX and perhaps TP).

But Nintendo might change their minds, who knows.

/Blue Window

BakerGuy

Wielder of TheBakerSword
I honestly don't think this is possible. The only reason there's a split at the end of OoT is because Zelda created one when she sent Link back to his own time. There's only a linear span of time in the 1000 years that passed after Demise was defeated. Since there's no split, there's no way there can be two splits in the timeline. It's not a bad theory, but it's, sadly, misguided. (It's sad because it'd be the perfect way to accurately place the FSS.)

This was actually making alot of sense and you had me going SilentLink. . . until he posted this. Then i got the logic of his idea in my head and it makes more sense.

Your thesis though was very well done. (for a silent link that was loud :)) I can see how you could see the possibilites. It makes sense both ways you see it.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
We have a discussion thread for this.

While I can't fully support JJ's argument (it's an issue that's been nagging me the whole time - what's really different between Link being sent back in time in OoT and Ghirahim going back in time?), SilentLink's poses some problems as well. The biggest one I think is that after this supposed split, Link and Zelda somehow managed to jump from the one timeline to the other. This has commonly (logically so) been believed to be impossible.

The other thing is that we know that Link travelling back and forth through the Gate of Time doesn't cause a split - why would Ghirahim's travel be any different?

Last edited:
S

SilentLink

We have a discussion thread for this.

While I can't fully support JJ's argument (it's an issue that's been nagging be the whole time - what's really different between Link being sent back in time in OoT and Ghirahim going back in time?), SilentLink's poses some problems as well. The biggest one I think is that after this supposed split, Link and Zelda somehow managed to jump from the one timeline to the other. This has commonly (logically so) been believed to be impossible.

The other thing is that we know that Link travelling back and forth through the Gate of Time doesn't cause a split - why would Ghirahim's travel be any different?

Its not the time travel itself that causes the split. its Ghirahim awakening Demise would cause the split, since something that had been destroyed in the past cannot exist in the present, unless the destruction of Demise caused a split where in one universe Link destroys Demise, and Another where he simply re-seals him with the same incantation or magic used by the goddess originally. Although its nearly impossible to argue either way because both instances (split or not) cause one or more paradox. One being that if Ghirahim's action of starting the spell to re-awaken Demise is the action that caused the split timeline. then what happened in the other universe to make demise continue to be sealed away? and if it was because of link, then would that cause a looping timeline? if there isn't a split, then how does demise exist in the present if he was destroyed in the past? unless somehow he broke free from the sword after link defeated him and Impa had to re-seal him.

another arguement would be that the door of time takes link to a different universe, although that can't be true because of the tree of life being moved.

Although, if you look at it like the "LOST" time traveling of "whatever happened, happened" and that the universe course corrects. then the split timeline is impossible because an action no matter how great cannot change what has been. Eventhough this logic was broken in the
show when daniel told desmond to find his mother and save them. also in the game with the tree of life not being there then being there.

so its such a complex subject that its best to not get into the nitty details and look at the broad ideas to see which fit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody noticed that the overworld in Skyward Sword mirrors that of Ocarina of Time and GCN Twilight Princess? The desert is in the west, the volcanic region is in the north, the lake is in the south-east, and the forest is south.

H

Haruhi Suzumiya

Yeah now it kinda makes sense... since the master sword can do something like altering time or something....

A

ALinkToTheTea

It confuses me that link travels foward in time and seals ganon, then goes back, doesn't that mean ganon won't be sealed and he will have to do the same thing 7 odd years in the future:/

Interesting.. quite a thought, though I really wish you would base it on A-theory. Some people (new to LoZ) thought that SS would produce another split timeline. What do you think? I mean, your pretty much going from the Most distant past to a past even more distant than that (respective to the Zelda series)

R

reekfish

How do we define "significantly different"? If Demise being sealed in the Master Sword instead of the sealing spike isn't significantly different, why is Ganondorf being sealed in the Twilight Realm instead of the Sacred Realm significantly different? How much does an event have to change in order to create a paradox or split?
Zelda's bracelet is an example of a constant, not a change. Impa always had the bracelet, even when you first met her at the beginning of the game. Zelda giving it to her only fulfilled what the timeline expected; it did not create a "small change" like the magic beans did. Another example is Zelda' crystal in the back room of the Sealed Temple. There are examples of the OoT bean mechanic as well though, such as the Tree of Life.

I'd also like to point out two other inconsistencies I found regarding the ending:
The first, just an odd small one, is that while Impa states that you returned to a time just after Hylia sealed Demise, Demise claims that he has been waiting to be revived for eons. Is this simply a case of the writers and/or translators/localizers messing up, or is there a logical explanation?
Second - and this may be important in this discussion if taken seriously - After Ghirahim goes to the past to revive Demise, old Impa is quite worried that Demise will return and destroy everything. Is she just too frightened to realize that everything would have been destroyed by now if he had succeeded? Surely if Ghirahim had changed the past, it would be reflected in the future: she would know that Demise was sealed in the Master Sword (like in the case with Groose and the Tree of Life described in above posts).

Saying Impa in the future "knows demise died already" is like saying Groose knows Link was going to plant the tree seed and make it grow.
The changes Link makes in the past alters the future.

If Link squatted on his bum and decided he was never going to get Zelda back from Ghirahim, Demise would have eaten her soul.
Do you have any "chronological theories" on how a God reborn as a mortal's soul affects time? I didn't think so.

The key element is the whole destiny/Gods/Triforce thing.
This issues an ultimatum in the storyline. You can't really speculate logically on a FICTIONAL story about Gods.

Also, did you notice the bracelet and Zelda hibernating were NOT results of Links actions?

Keep in mind, this entire story is from the third person perspective of Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom