• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda stay Medieval or more Steampunk?

Which Genre should the series follow?

• Steampunk Grit (Time period Ex: 1800s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Medieval Fantasy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I'm gonna go somewhat against the trend, and say that a limited amount of technology wouldn't harm the franchise at all. As long as they stayed with the whole Kingdom of Hyrule premise, I would allow some form of guns or non-horse powered transportation developed.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
Easiest poll ever :)

Medieval of course. I've thought it over again and again, and there's no way I can imagine Zelda with futuristic things like guns, lasers, or something. In my mind, you can't put a date on a Zelda game. It is better suited to be on some different land, Hyrule, of course, where it is much different from ours.

That is the point of video games, and that's what I love about Zelda :). It's good to use your imagination. Making Zelda "realistic" in the sense of modern for us, would ruin that for me.

Medieval fantasy, damn it. I'm sick of this technology crap. Where's the fricken' magic?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Steampunk thing, but I don't think it befits Zelda.

the magic helps to make zelda......well, magical
i don't much care for the machinery, but the lack of magic is just bad

I

ItsJustTheChad

Agreed. Even the train thing kinda threw me off, from Spirit tracks. But that's just me probably. Zelda always had a magical feel because is was a great Knight-in-armor type of adventure. I think the creators can explore of course, but maybe stay within those boundaries.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Based upon how I see the games going, I guess I should provide some feedback to this thread as well. I've noticed that more technology has appeared in the cel-shaded Zelda titles instead of the...uuhh...other looking ones. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess had their own technological innovations (i.e. bombchus, clocks, and a gear-based top), but I don't think any of those games have made reference to the steam engine, which appears quite often in Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

To be honest, steampunk works out great in the cel-shaded titles simply because they can pull it off greatly with the cel-shaded visuals without being awkward. However, the art style of games like Twilight Princess make me feel as though it must be restricted to medieval without feeling like it's stepping out of the realm of what was possible back then. I'm starting to enjoy steampunk, but it truly depends on the title and how they pull it off. I can defiantly see the Hero of Winds and his descendants living in a steampunk world; but for the Hero of Twilight, not so much.

So, to answer the question of the thread, it truly depends on if it's an adult timeline game, or a child timeline game...yeah, that was weird saying, for I'm not really a timeline theorist.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I wouldn't mind a single Steampunk Zelda game. It would be a nice breath of fresh air, and lead to an innovative plot, exciting characters and a unique gameplay experience.

BUT...

It's a slippery slope. I mean, look at Final Fantasy. The last time we had a truly fantastic Final Fantasy was IX, ten years ago! Ever since then, it's become more and more futuristic, most likely trying to recapture the success of VI and VII, forgetting that it was the story (VI) and characters (VII) that made those games great, not the setting.

Let's say that a Steampunk Zelda is good. Who is to stop Aonuma San from cranking out sequel after sequel in a non-fantasy setting after that? I don't want to see that.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Steampunk is fun but not in Zelda. The first game I played was TP, and I loved it because it was medieval. And if they really want steampunk, they can always make another serie instead of changing one

if link jumped in to a jeep and bombed gannon's tower with nukes i would never play zelda again so i say no tech more advanced then wagons and what not. canons are fine if u want to launch link across hyrule id b down with that

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Medieval for sure. It makes the Zelda series more magical than violent. It is also why The Legend of Zelda is what it is.:P

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Midieval Fantasy!

We've had cannons in Zelda. In TP, in the Snowhead Mansion Temple, there were cannons. We've had trains, FREAKIN TRAINS IN A ZELDA!?!?
It kinda blows my mind Nintendo did that for SP lol, but it's fine. I think that's the farthest Zelda will go with technology, SP felt a little bit steampunked with the steam trains. Stay with fantasy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom