• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should They Add Branching Stories to a Zelda Game?

Pretty much every Zelda game is meant to play in a linear fashion and has the same ending every time. What if they made the game where you could make choices and it would change the course of your adventure? Imagine if you can play dungeons in almost any order, maybe even skip or add one you didn't get to play the first time through. It would definitely add replay value to the game. I also think they need to do two endings to the game, but with a similar finale in order to keep the Zelda storyline straight (though it's convoluted enough that this might not be required.)

I liked in GTA IV towards the end of the game you had different events and endings carry out based on what you chose to do. You could either have revenge and kill your long time enemy (and one friend dies) or go after a more recent enemy (and a different person dies). It's enough to make you play the game multiple times.

I know this is not a new thing in gaming, but I think it would be cool to see in a new Zelda game. I always have to wait like 5 years before I want to replay a Zelda game, even though I loved every second of it. I feel like the games are better when you forgot about certain things and it almost feels new.

Fig

The Altruist
That would be a great idea to develop! It would be cool to have a different version of the overall story and have a different experience than someone else who also has the same game but went through a different route. I guess you can say that some of the sidequests in Skyward Sword do branch out, since the player can choose which option to follow. One perfect example is how a player can collect all of the gratitude crystals. The majority of the crystals have more than one way to obtain them. In conclusion, your idea is a good suggestion, but it would probably be a long time before we are able to play a Zelda game with that kind of feature.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
An interesting thought. It would certainly be cool to see the decisions that you, as the player, made affect the outcome of the story. However, I think Zelda games are meant to be played in a linear fashion, so that you receive the same great story and game experience every time. But that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to make a Zelda RPG. The possibilities are endless!

I like the idea of is and I thought this is exactly what Skyward Sword was attempting to do in certain places when it asked you to choose your reply etc, but alas...

I'd love this to come about though. Ocarina of Time is the crux of the series as far as timeline goes and i think somewhere in the future when the timeline is a mess again (if nintendo don't tell us where every game goes from now on)or even now. Nintendo should release a Zelda with alternate endings, alternate choices and route and mess with the timeline like never before. It'd be the ultimate way to mess theorists around :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
inb4Horrible idea because this isn't how Zelda was made.

I agree with the concept of multiple endings and it is actually something I pushed for around late 2011/early 2012. I'm tired of Link always coming out on top; this is neither realistic nor is it ever exciting beyond the 15th time within the series. Sure, I enjoyed it back in the days of OoT, and a couple years ago with Phantom Hourglass/Twilight Princess (and it was cute in ST), but no more. Of course there are many more people that love the hero coming out on top, but what about those of us who don't? This is where multiple, nonlinear endings come into play. I'll cite a quick example and I know it isn't a prime example of what can be done with multiple endings:
[video=youtube;eRtJkYgSa7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRtJkYgSa7I[/video]

Yes, Shadow the Hedgehog for many different systems way long ago. Shadow can come out evil, he can come out good, he can be neutral, but in the end the canon ending is he is simply Shadow, nothing more nothing less.

I'd love to see a similar concept within Zelda. That way, we can all enjoy the game's plot. Nintendo would ideally have one "canon" ending (probably the hero comes out on top, as usual), with all other possible endings that follow suit.

This doesn't have to apply solely with endings, either. Like KawiNinjaZX was getting at, we could have a totally different set of dungeons that we could do, leading to different scenarios within the game world. This adds replay value, it adds a fun twist on things, and it makes dungeons that much more fun. I'm all for it. :yes:

Dan

I'm not sure if that's a wise idea. That will just mean people will waste more years of their time, talking about a video game timeline.
I think branching is unessential really, ooT branching made sense and was neat. We don't need anymore imo.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I don't want multiple choices in Zelda. It doesn't feel right. However, an overarching plot over a series of Zelda games, say, a trilogy, would be awesome.

A branching story would be an excellent method to increase the replay value of a Zelda game. The idea always seems specially catered to the Zelda franchise. From the NES original there was no set schematic of how to progress. Players could complete the dungeons in any order they desired with Level 9 being the one exception, always last. The idea was subsequently translated to latter installments including A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. In the quest to rescue the seven sages in each installment the player is free to choose which dungeon they complete first. The Fire Temple in OoT can be completed before the Forest Temple and vice versa. This freedom has been lost in contemporary installments. Why does the Arbiter's Grounds dungeon have to be completed prior to travelling to Peak Province? There is no justification for this in either the gameplay or story departments.

This idea is reminiscent of the Mass Effect franchise. Player's decisions come back to help or hurt them later in the game. Aiding a wretched civilian will provide for munitions whereas neglecting them will breed hatred and distrust. The Legend of Zelda could easily adopt this idea and further evolve its formula. In nearly every game the majority of NPCs are either neutral or working to oppose the principal evil. Perhaps a portion could turn rogue if Link fails to assist them. With respect to the idea of the hero failing this should only be implemented if there will be a logical followup. While a crucifix of programming on Nintendo's part, such an ending should contribute to an entirely different narrative in a sequel.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
as much as i liked how that idea worked in GTA 4 [it absolutely tore my brother up when chose to kill Dwayne on that one mission :lol:],its just gonna cause more timeline complications which is one of the last things a few of us want

also,there are a few instinces where this idea doesn't always work how it would seem [Star Fox Command]

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
inb4Horrible idea because this isn't how Zelda was made.

I agree with the concept of multiple endings and it is actually something I pushed for around late 2011/early 2012. I'm tired of Link always coming out on top; this is neither realistic nor is it ever exciting beyond the 15th time within the series. Sure, I enjoyed it back in the days of OoT, and a couple years ago with Phantom Hourglass/Twilight Princess (and it was cute in ST), but no more. Of course there are many more people that love the hero coming out on top, but what about those of us who don't? This is where multiple, nonlinear endings come into play. I'll cite a quick example and I know it isn't a prime example of what can be done with multiple endings:

Yes, Shadow the Hedgehog for many different systems way long ago. Shadow can come out evil, he can come out good, he can be neutral, but in the end the canon ending is he is simply Shadow, nothing more nothing less.

I'd love to see a similar concept within Zelda. That way, we can all enjoy the game's plot. Nintendo would ideally have one "canon" ending (probably the hero comes out on top, as usual), with all other possible endings that follow suit.

This doesn't have to apply solely with endings, either. Like KawiNinjaZX was getting at, we could have a totally different set of dungeons that we could do, leading to different scenarios within the game world. This adds replay value, it adds a fun twist on things, and it makes dungeons that much more fun. I'm all for it. :yes:

I fully agree with VanitasXII with all of his points. Having many branching stories within the game, from endings to different sidequests and beyond, can only innovate and rennovate the Legend of Zelda experience. Doesn't matter if it is "traditional", it will be FUN.

I don't really like this idea. Branching stories sound cool and all, but I don't think this fits Zelda at all. We are going to get more questions and nonsense that will just seem pointless and people don't want any of that. Plus, Zelda is doing fine without it. Sure, a lot of people complain that the stories in Zelda are too linear but branching stories will just make things worse. If this does happen in a Zelda game, then it's going to be similar to this.
[video=youtube_share;XcY9jlFeAtQ]http://youtu.be/XcY9jlFeAtQ[/video]

Just replace Shadow with Link and androids with an evil army or something like that. I do not want something like this in a Zelda game. :dry:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I personally dislike the idea. The legend of Zelda stories have always had a set ending and storyline. If everyone can do it differently we would be having very different experiences and the timeline could not say that one thing happened or else it would conflict with another persons experience. As far as story goes Zelda should have a linear story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom