• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should More Characters Show Interest in Princess Zelda?

I actually just noticed this, but pretty few characters ever show an interest in Princess Zelda herself. (Ganon and the foppish prince in the cartoon and Agahnim in the manga do not count) Of course the obvious character who shows an interest in Zelda, depending on the game and the plot, is Link. Whether she's a childhood friend (TMC/SS) or someone he just met that he grows close to (OOT/TWW/ST) he's the most obvious character who tends to show an interest in her. There are two other characters besides him.
The first being Vaati, the wind mage. Upon his introduction, he tells Zelda that to start his conquest of Hyrule he will marry her. We don't get much besides that other than text in Four Swords Adventures showing he's kidnapped many other girls in the past that caught his interest. The problem I think was that Nintendo didn't really use this as much as they should. This lust for girls was absent in The Minish Cap and it doesn't develop until years later. While Vaati's number one goal is to take over Hyrule, I also think it was better to keep his lust for Zelda as giving something he wants besides power, in this case companionship, made him a more interesting character.
Of course there is now Groose, Link's bully who is a rival, at least in his own head, for Zelda's affection. His main goal until the first battle with The Imprisoned was to outdo Link and get Zelda's interest. Afterwards, its clear from his actions near the end that he accepts that it is Link she needs and wants to be around. Like many, I thought of Gaston when I saw him and I thought it would have been interesting to actually have him try to fight Link, only to be outdone in a fight and realize Link isn't who he perceived him as.

Okay, so we've had the hero, a villain, and a hometown bully all having an interest in Zelda herself. Am I the only one who thinks the idea of having more than just the implied Link with feelings for Zelda wouldn't be a bad idea? I think it could work, giving Link a rival who is jealous of their bond or is someone who wants to marry her but feels someone lower outdoing him hurts his pride. Or even just a villain who has an obsession with her.
Tell me, should we have more characters interested in her?

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Nah, she's a princess and she gets alot of attention offscreen, so I think the few who pay attention to her that we see is enough.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Well being realistic, she is a princess, and therefore probably kept in privacy most of the time for safety precautions.

But I agree, i think the game is much better when other people show interest in Zelda, it leads to much better character conflicts. I loved showing up Groose in skyloft during SS.

P.S. you forgot Byrne and Chancellor Cole in Spirit Tracks, Zelda's body was a big key in their plot

P.S. you forgot Byrne and Chancellor Cole in Spirit Tracks, Zelda's body was a big key in their plot

First off, haven't played Spirit Tracks yet... it's on my list.
Second, by interest I mean romantic or at least attraction.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Yeses, that would be a great idea. It would make the game mmuch more realistic.

I think so.... Although Groose was a little creepy in SS I think it gave Link just 1 more reason to save the world... to beat some one who's trying to take his girl.... However, Nintendo should be careful not to overplay this role... We wouldn't want people liking the other Lover more than Link ;) 'caus that would just be flat out awkward....

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
Nah. Princess Zelda is a Princess. I bet there are dozens of unsuspecting people that have some sort of crush on her.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I think it would make the game more realistic. I think there should even be like an arranged marriage in one where Link slowly wins over the King and sort of conflicts with the man she is engaged to. I think that would lead to a semi-funny plot and possibly a confrontation for her hand. Not to far fetched of an idea. But I agree that there should be more people who show interest. It could really add to the game.

I think I would really like to see other characters be more involved with Zelda. I feel like sometimes her appearances are very vague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom