• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Speak?

Gorozoron

wild ride
Link should be mute and speak in sign language
they could have animations and stuff
I mean that would require a lot of work to have to do that for every piece of NPC dialogue but still...
I never want to hear Link speak again * Points at the rusty cd-i in the corner *

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
I liked the way they did it in BotW, with Link not actually speaking at any seen point, but the characters confirm that he does actually talk.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Link should be mute and speak in sign language
they could have animations and stuff
I mean that would require a lot of work to have to do that for every piece of NPC dialogue but still...
I never want to hear Link speak again * Points at the rusty cd-i in the corner *

I honestly have to agree with this one. There is a VERY good reason Link doesn't speak, and it's bound to be a cursed video if he does.

On a different note, even though Link is his own person, he is still your link to the game. You don't say "Link saved the princess", you say "I saved the princess." I think giving him his own dialogue would make him too much of his own person, players couldn't put themselves in the game as much because "Well, I wouldn't say that". If you ask me, Link should stay mute for a looooong time.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I think giving him his own dialogue would make him too much of his own person, players couldn't put themselves in the game as much because "Well, I wouldn't say that". If you ask me, Link should stay mute for a looooong time.
Huh? It doesn't matter if it's in a dialogue box or voice. If it is something I don't agree, my reaction is gonna be "Well, I wouldn't say that ". "Putting themselves in the game" would definitely be more immersive in voice acting because there're many games where you can feel more connection to MC that are voice acted compared to connection to Link, who isn't given a voice acting.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I don't know, I don't know if I would want Link to have full blown conversations. I'm okay with like one word answers, I don't think I could get used to Link being completely voiced. If it ever does happen I'll have to get used to it, but I'm okay with how it is now.

They should first give him his usual yes and no answers, as well as some other quick and simple lines when necessary. That is the way he actually speaks, we just don't get to see it or hear it.

They can experiment with a fully vocal Link sometime later if they ever feel so bold, but I also wouldn't mind if he just became a full player avatar, I just want Ninty to make up their minds already.

Link should only speak if the story needs him to. Right now, only in the BotW memories would that have been necessary because that is the only time where the Zelda story is a stand-alone thing separate from the gameplay.

Archer

Whatever
Yes. He needs to have some spoken lines at some point. Go out and get someone like Kyle McCarley, Todd Haberkorn, Robbie Daymond, or Josh Grelle to voice Link, but Vic Mignogna and Quinton Flynn can STAY AWAY

I think the reason as to why Link doesn’t really speak or have much of a personality is because they’d possibly be afraid if people didn’t like his personality or voice.

It’s not to prevent ruining your connection with him, it’s to prevent ruining your image of him.

I suppose giving him some lines wouldn’t hurt. How much or how little is what I’m confused over.

If Nintendo did it right, they could pull it off. But at this point in time I'm not liable to trust them with such drastic, risky things. Maybe that will change in time. Either way, I'm okay if he never does speak besides the basic question replies and very, very rare comments.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
I for one would like to see him speak... I'm sure he has a very pretty voice, based off those little grunts he does... But thirst aside as cool as it could be it does make it harder to self insert.
I think giving him his own dialogue would make him too much of his own person, players couldn't put themselves in the game as much because "Well, I wouldn't say that".
Take FF7, I like it because you get to form solid bonds with the other characters. While having Cloud say stuff I wouldn't say did make it harder to relate to him, I think it was essential for the level of characterization they wanted the other characters to have in relation to you, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom