• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Speak?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Considering Nintendo has yet to master the art of Voice acting i'd say no Link shouldn't get it, look at the shoddy work for BOTW, aside from that if they give him a voice he is no longer a Link to the player but becomes his own thing and that wasn't what link was about originally.

Theres a hell of a difference between random grunting and actual voice lines.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Considering Nintendo has yet to master the art of Voice acting i'd say no Link shouldn't get it, look at the shoddy work for BOTW, aside from that if they give him a voice he is no longer a Link to the player but becomes his own thing and that wasn't what link was about originally.

Theres a hell of a difference between random grunting and actual voice lines.

At the very least, I'd like some more involving text-based dialogue for Link. Stuff that actually develops his character and suggests a personality.

I'd actually enjoy if this game's story delves into Link being an emotionless quiet person, and he goes through a crisis where he ultimately realizes that he needs to be able to feel for things beyond just his sense of duty, and it ultimately results in him shouting out with tears in his eyes for Zelda's safety at a pivotal moment.

I think the issue here is not if Link speaks or not. The issue is how Nintendo does the story for Zelda games. I'll explain.

With mute protagonists, the story has to be told in the 3rd person. ie the NPCs and other playable characters have to be the ones telling the story. The main chatacter can be involved in the story but he can't directly influence it. Some good examples of this are:

Dragon Quest XI - The hero doesn't influence the story at all. He's just the unlucky one to whom the story unfolds onto. It's the other playable characters and NPCs that tell the story and get the hero to act all heroic like. They tell the story and the hero just acts it out.

Diablo 1-3 - In all three Diablo games, the playable character is just a passive witness to the story. It's the NPCs that tell the entire story. You are just along for the ride.

Metroid Prime - The story is told entirely by what you scan, be it enemies or bits of the environment or ancient artifacts. The story unfolds all around you piece by piece and you don't know it all until the end of the story so it's quite mysterious until the end of the game.

Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey - Not much of a story in both games, but what little story is there is all told to Mario by NPCs. Mario just says "uh-uh and "it's a me Mario".

The Legend of Zelda series needs to do the same, so the story is told totally from everyone else except Link. Link needs to actively participate in the game play (obviously) but only passively partake in the story. I'm not saying Link should be an empty avatar. Link needs personality and a purpose for existing. Of cause Link needs character development throughout the game too.

Link also needs to be partaking in the story. Not just staring at the other NPCs as they tell the story. It's a fine balancing act, to partake in the story without actively doing so. Look at Dragon Quest XI as a good example. The hero there is the one who does all the heroic actions and is the main centre point of every story moment but it's everyone else telling the story.

There's a real world way to explain this. It's a thing we sometimes do at Toastmasters.
Imagine you have to give a speech. In this case it's 1-2 minutes but the length of it doesn't matter. This speech is done by two people. One person speaks the speech but does not move at all. The other person is silent but acts out all the body language and actions of the speech.
Of cause in game the speaker (ie the NPCs and other playable characters) are not statues, they move and have actions too. But I think you get the point here.

The Legend of Zelda games fall down here because the story is told in spurts through the games, not continously throughout the whole game. Also most of the time it's just someone talking to Link. Boring. The story needs to come at pivotal moments of the game where Link is doing something important. Link is doing this important thing now. Why? The NPCs and other playable characters will tell you why and possibly partake in the important thing as well.

Silent protagonists have been done very well for decades by many games. The Legend of Zelda games are not in that list but they could be if Nintendo actually designed the game around the fact Link is silent and consider the above points I have said here.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Yes.

This idea that a player is incapable of relating to a character that speaks has always been nonsense. The protagonists of Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Fallout (to name a few) have consistent character voice that is more compelling than anything the Zelda series offers. Link is more of a cardboard cutout than he is a character. Link vacantly staring at NPCs without saying anything just isn't cool.

Either give Link a voice or give us the option to choose Link's gender. If Nintendo isn't going to put effort into his character, then there isn't any point in treating the character as more than an empty avatar.
I'd be down for Link's mute nature to be the result of a disability.
The reason why many people disliked SS was due to the fact that Nintendo tried to force everything possible into it to make it the prequel of the series.

I would rather prefer someone to voice Link than turn him into a disability.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The reason why many people disliked SS was due to the fact that Nintendo tried to force everything possible into it to make it the prequel of the series.

I would rather prefer someone to voice Link than turn him into a disability.

I'm not sure I see the connection between making Link's muteness a disability and Skyward Sword being a **** game.

:suspicious:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I was just taking it as an example as for what will happen if Nintendo unnecessarily try to push a backstory for Link being disabled.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I was just taking it as an example as for what will happen if Nintendo unnecessarily try to push a backstory for Link being disabled.

I don't think there needs to be some intense backstory. They could just show him communicating through alternate means.

(Unfortunately, Nintendo is often incredibly inept in their storytelling and might just try and force a complex backstory on Link's muteness.)

Maybe they should just give him the Mario treatment, give him a few lines of dialogue for gameplay and a few more for cutscenes but keep it moderation to see how people respond.
Though it'd probably be a negative reception no matter what they do

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I think keep him mute. It would be even cooler if he was like not able to speak at all, because of a disability or something like that. I think it would be another cool thing to add to his character.

Every Zelda game he’s been mute, I don’t think we need to make him just suddenly start talking, it would be weird.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I’ve really felt that him choosing not to speak exemplifies his character more than anything he could say. I’d prefer him to stay silent apart from dialogue options. Making him speak just feels like fanservice to me. While breaking conventions is well and good, it shouldn’t happen just for the sake of breaking conventions.

Link has spoken before. His first game speaking in text is Adventure of Link. His first game saying something that isn't a grunt or yell is Windwaker.

Even modern Zeldas still have most of their npcs speaking in text and monosyllables.

I'd settle for Link getting text again. But I don't really care to hear him or anyone else go off on long speeches. The only Nintendo game I was ever fine with this was KI Uprising, purely because the voices weren't annoying and embarrassing and the dialogue sounded natural and not forced or overdone.

For the record I've never seen Link as me. Link is Link and just because he may not have much character, doesn't mean he's an avatar for the player.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I’ve really felt that him choosing not to speak exemplifies his character more than anything he could say. I’d prefer him to stay silent apart from dialogue options. Making him speak just feels like fanservice to me. While breaking conventions is well and good, it shouldn’t happen just for the sake of breaking conventions.

I mean, what character? He just kind of stares vacantly and people while drool slowly runs down the corner of his mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom