• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should Link Level Up in Zelda U?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I hope for a hyrule that is open to explore from early on in the new game with many mini dungeons and secrets to uncover. I think a great gameplay mechanic to implement in zelda u would be a levelling up system. Even though the world would be largely open I don't think everywhere should be safe to travel right away. There should be danger zones on the map, places that you are going to be completely annihilated if you go there before you are powerful enough to take on the dangerous foes and wildlife present. If whilst traveling across Hyrule's vast planes to an advised location e.g Hyrule castle town and spot Gerudo desert in the distance, you would see it on your gamepad map as a danger zone. You could indeed go there, but with no hope of survival at this stage of the game.
This takes out the need for blocking a lot of areas off with physical barriers and would create a more natural feel to the overworld design.

I think that levelling up adds an even bigger sense of reward to a game as there is always something to aim for, and when you reach it, there is always the next level to aim for.

I liked the idea of upgrades in Skyward sword and i think they should continue item improvement in the next 3d title.

What do you think of levelling up in Zelda U? Do you see it as something that could be utilised to make the series better?

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Well, they said that they're gonna look The Elder Scrolls for inspiration so this isn't an impossibility. I think it would be good if executed well, the item upgrades in Skyward Sword were awesome, as you mentioned, so they could work from there. Also, I think the Adventure of Link would be one of my favourite Zeldas if it wasn't so frustrating, purely based on its leveling system.
I think it could work really well, could make for some interesting challenges also. :)

Salem

SICK
No, no levelling up, that will make the game into an RPG.

As for upgrading, I prefer the system in ALBW because you find things to help you upgrade instead of farming/grinding for more upgrade materials.

Pen

The game is on!
I agree with you on that Nintendo should improve the exploration value of Hyrule the Wii U Zelda title. And add a bunch of secrets and mini dungeons, as you said. However, I don't think giving the game a leveling system would be that good. Sure, if they did decide to do it I would still buy the game, and I'm sure I would still enjoy it, but at the moment I really like Zelda for being what it is, without a leveling system. The item upgrade system in Skyward Sword was wonderful in my opinion since it gave the player a way to improve the items without leveling, but by simply gathering materials and upgrading them.

Besides, in a way we already do have a leveling system for Link's HP with the Heart Containers and Pieces of Heart that are progressively found by the player throughout each game, so your idea about an open world without any physical barriers (which I really like by the way) could perhaps work anyway thanks to the player's amount of Heart Containers.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Besides, in a way we already do have a leveling system for Link's HP with the Heart Containers and Pieces of Heart that are progressively found by the player throughout each game, so your idea about an open world without any physical barriers (which I really like by the way) could perhaps work anyway thanks to the player's amount of Heart Containers.

Unless link can end up with 50 hearts and certain areas contain enemies that do 10 hearts of damage each hit, the heart thing would not be adequate to keep link out of certain places. Most Zelda games can be finished with a mere 3 hearts.
In SS links sword becomes more powerful throughout the game because of scripted events, with a levelling system the player can take this kind of thing into their own hands.

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
Yes! I'm all for this! I would love to see an Open World, with tons of secrets and mini-dungeons, also: lots of Side-quests! And a level system will just makes things rewarding and more awesome! I totally want that!
:D

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Well, ther is no reason why there shouldn't be a leveling system. With leveling comes unlockable abilities, access to more powerful weapons, etc. I think that it would increase total play time, and maybe add replayability if a class system came along too.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Kind of. I don't think there should be a traditional level-up system like in most RPGs and the series' own Zelda II, but I DO want a skill tree to be implemented. I actually discussed this in an article I wrote a while back.

Moving on into the realm of things that Zelda could adopt from other franchises, a skill tree could be introduced in the future. Link could gain experience points by defeating enemies or completing tasks and gain different skills after obtaining enough of said points. Some people would probably initially consider this idea too similar to Zelda II‘s leveling mechanic, but it wouldn’t necessarily have to play out like that. The experience points could easily function like a currency and be spent on skills rather than being awarded on level-up. Implementing this mechanic would also provide ample opportunity for magic to return; players could start out with things like basic fire, ice, and electric spells and work their way up to more powerful versions to unleash devastating attacks and provide them new combat options. I’m sure some people would be skeptical about the idea of a skill tree even with the things I’ve said, but as long as it is properly executed, I see nothing but positives from it.

A good example of this is Far Cry 3. It actually works out pretty much exactly like I suggested (conceptually), and that game came out after I wrote the article, so I was pretty amused, to say the least. Seriously, though, after playing FC3 (and Darksiders II), I absolutely MUST have a skill tree in all future 3D console Zelda games. It's just too damn awesome to not have.

Well, they said that they're gonna look The Elder Scrolls for inspiration so this isn't an impossibility.

Aonuma clarified that this was a misconception. He only played Skyrim because of the similar name to Skyward Sword.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I can see some sort of skill tree implemented in a future Zelda game. Like, one example I can see really working well would be: after you defeat a boss instead of just getting a Whole Heart you can get either a Whole Heart or an expansion to either your stamina, magic gauge, wallet, etc.

If we're gonna use a skill tree I would rather you earn your "level-ups" through in-game achievements like defeating bosses and completing sidequests rather than "defeat X amount of goons to level up". I get enough of that in Pokemon games, I don't need that in Zelda.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I think it would definitely be interesting, but I'm not sure it would fit "Zelda" if that makes sense. Zelda has been one way for very long. Although thinking about it, Zelda II worked well. Hmm, now I'm not really sure.

Fig

The Altruist
As much as I love the RPG genre, I would prefer for the Zelda franchise to stay away from it as much as possible. Sure, you can add elements of RPGs into the Zelda franchise, much like how Skyward Sword did and it worked alright in my opinion. Zelda Wii U really needs to vamp up its exploration much like Pendio stated above, but I don't think implementing a leveling system would suffice for a Zelda. Zelda Wii U needs to make sure that it is filled with content in terms of quality, but I don't think making the game to feel more like an RPG is the best route to take for the latest installment of the Zelda franchise for the Wii U as I am positive that many fans will be displeased for a sudden in the series and might even give them more of a reason to not purchase a Wii U, which the console needs in the first place, more people buying the system. I know Nintendo has something in store for us at E3 for Zelda U and I hope people will enjoy the first look and design for Zelda U.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I've started playing more games where you have to level up, and sometimes it can be kind of a drag. I like how in Zelda you can improve but you don't have to do it by grinding for hours while you get enough xp to defeat the next boss. They should stick with upgrading weapons (I liked that idea a lot), acquiring new skills and items, that sort of thing.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
I'm not so sure about levelling, but I do want the next Zelda to add more RPG elements, like a quest system. The Zelda series already have side-quests, but they're very different from the quests in western RPGs. I'm talking about quests you receive from average NPCs in the towns and villages. Upon completion you should receive rupees, not a Piece of Heart. That said, rupees should become a lot more important.

No, no levelling up, that will make the game into an RPG.

It already is, considering the player IS Link. That's the very reason he's called Link. Levelling and stats are important in many RPGs, but they don't make them RPGs. Ever played Fable 1 or Fable 2? No levelling. No stats. They are still considered to be RPGs. On the other side there's the games based on The Two Towers and The Return of the King. You can level up in those two games, and even choose an upgrade. However, they're not RPGs.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nah, Zelda isn't a stat-based RPG. Zelda's focus should be on exploration and adventure, I feel like all the numbers would slow things down, and I shudder to think of Zelda ever having RPG grinding in it. Sure, Link can get upgrades, but flat-out FF-style leveling up? No thank you sir. I prefer a more open game focusing where exploration is key and combat is based on quick-thinking and skill with the blade,

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Nah, Zelda isn't a stat-based RPG. Zelda's focus should be on exploration and adventure, I feel like all the numbers would slow things down, and I shudder to think of Zelda ever having RPG grinding in it. Sure, Link can get upgrades, but flat-out FF-style leveling up? No thank you sir. I prefer a more open game focusing where exploration is key and combat is based on quick-thinking and skill with the blade,

Ditto. I'd want more sophisticated fighting. You should be able to beat enemies because of skill, not because you ground up enough xp until you were stronger than the enemy. Not that there's anything wrong with those games, but if I want to play that kind of game I would. Zelda is different from other rpgs and I think should stay that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom