• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Cutscenes Be Skippable?

Should Cutscenes be skippable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HaruHaru

The one with pickles
For all of you guys who think that cut scenes should be skippable, I have to disagree.

Cut scenes are what make a game interesting, and they are what give a game a story. If there were no cut scenes, the game would be boring as hell.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Cut scenes are what make a game interesting, and they are what give a game a story. If there were no cut scenes, the game would be boring as hell.

For you. But there is not "one true gaming experience." On a personal level I always look forward to the next cut scene on my first play through exactly for the reason you mentioned - they are often what move the story along, and story is pretty important to me in a game. But someone playing a speed run (such as the one this site is doing on July 3rd) would probably like the option to skip as many as possible, and disallowing that option entirely would detract from their experience.

I also think of it like when I re-read a book. Sure, sometimes I may read the thing from start to finish again. Other times I just skip ahead to a section I know I like. It seems odd to say a person must always play it this way or not at all.

Austin

Austin
Yes. I'm typically against a video game forcing anyone to do something. While I certainly won't be skipping any cutscenes the first time around, I wouldn't deny people the right to be able to. That's just ridiculous. If they aren't interested in the story you can't force them to be. However, I hope they'll require some obvious effort to skip. I've had times where I've accidentally skipped an important cutscene due to the fact that a finger slipped or something. A button combination or even a commonly unused button would be good.

Epona

Ordon Village
Yes because if you're playing the game for the 5th time or something you don't necessarily want to see the full cutscene every single time.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I like being able to skip the cutscenes myself. While the first time you play through, I think it's important to watch them as so you know what's going on and you don't miss anything, but after that if you don't want to watch them, there's no need. I personally don't care for cutscenes and after I play a game again, I usually don't pay attention of them. They take away from the time I could be playing! I don't mind a few here and there, but I think TP had too many of them. I'm hoping that SS had a lot less of them, and more play time.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I'm the big nerd who pays attention to every cinematic in just about every game to get every single ounce of plot details, etc. There are people who play Zelda just for hacking and slashing in an attempt to compare the series to Mario (which isn't that big on plot development). I have a few friends who skip cinematics, and when they do, I slap them on the wrist. I am a fan of having a big story, but I don't like having a big story that forces linearity. Ocarina of Time had a big story, yet you had the ability to (during adult years) complete any dungeon in almost any order.

So, to have the cinematics skippable? I wouldn't like that, but Nintendo is trying to get the younger and people with less-of-an-attention-span players, so it seems as though Nintendo is forced to do that. I think that perhaps for the new people who wouldn't appreciate the games that much would like the feature, but sooner or later, they would love to see cinematics and the world of Zelda develop.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Yes, definitely. If you don't want to watch the cutscenes on your first run, that's fine, but after you've played it more than once and already know everything that happens, it's good to have a "skip" option.

I personally love watching cutscenes. I honestly don't know why some people hate them. :(

B

Bandersnatch

My answer is no, I like watching the cutscenes, I accidently skipped so many in Twilight Princess, that I had to restart, becuase I was worried I missed something important, Besides you only get to see them once a playthrough, why not!!!

My opinion on this is that cutscenes should always be skippable. Sometimes people might be rushed and not have time to get through entire cutscenes due to time limits, so I feel they should let you skip them.

They should also have a Vault option on the title screen so you can view any cutscene at any time just in case you had to skip one, or just want to watch them again.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I'm in between, but I'm more stuck on yes. Sometimes, I prefer to get past the scenes that drag on and on. I'd like to point out though that in TP you were able to skip the cutscenes. As much as I love some of the scenes that Nintendo concocts to surprise us and keep us entertained, I really don't like watching some of them sometimes.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
As much as I love some of the scenes that Nintendo concocts to surprise us and keep us entertained, I really don't like watching some of them sometimes.

I agree. I've never played TP, but in OoT .. while I like watching & reading most of the cutscenes even though I know how they go, it would definitely be nice to have the option to skip some of them, like the scenes with the Owl (forgot his exact name and don't wanna butcher it ... it starts with a K & G). Thankfully they were merciful enough to let you scroll through most his dialogue super fast.

Oh and also the cutscene with King Zora moving aside after he reads the letter. OMG it's so irritating.

Last edited:

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
Maybe on the first playthrough they shouldn't but maybe if you start over after you beat the game you could skip them. Just an idea but I voted yes.

Beeker

Wild Card
I'm sorta between each but have to say yes for the general reason of skipping extremely long cutscenes(Finally someone metioned King Zora!)

I love story in Zelda, they always amaze me. I never skip cutscenes because I love following the story, even if I've done it several times before. The only cutscene I really skipped in TP was the one about the Interlopers(it just creeped me out.o_O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom