• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rouge, Warrior, or Mage/Priest?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
So, any regular player of the role playing game is aware of the basic archetypes from which pretty much every class combination is derived from.

The Warrior, Rouge, or Mage/Priest.
The Warrior is tough.
The Rogue is cunning.
The Mage is a damage dealing spell caster while the Priest tends to be a group healer.

Which do you prefer as your vocation of choice in roleplaying games?

Me? Well, it depends on the game of course. Warriors almost always seem to be the safest bet. Some games even favor the warrior classes in particular. But I am also partial to rouges, though, and much more as of late. Some RPGs still don't quite do rouges justice, however. Sometimes rouges don't do as much damage as a warrior and can't take as much either. While Rogues can require some technique to play, Mages tend to be the trickiest to play as, since the the often clunky spell casters tend to be the most physically weak, and straight-up priests can be a bore if all you do is spam the heal spell over and over.

Some RPGs also don't do ranged combat very well. Ranging was completely busted in Dragon Age, for instance, but I found ranging to be superior in DA's successor. Dragon Age seems to favor the rogue classes anyway. You'll constantly encounter traps and lock chests that only rogues can open, might as well be one.

Mages can be fun to play as in RPGs because, seriously, slinging spells around is just good fun, but sometimes they're clunky and not very intuitive to play (and tend to drop dead if they're hit with so much as a fist-bump)

Deeds

no text
I'd normally pick rogue. I love using projectile weapons in games, you simply cannot get anything cooler than a bow and arrow.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Well you can always have different subtypes of those 3 archtypes. DPS warriors, Tank warriors, DPS mage, healing mage, Ranged DPS rogues, even Tanking rogues (with high enough dex).

Personally I prefer being a tank or melee dps, so I'll choose a warrior or rogue archtype. I've dabbled with DPS mages, but I'm not a huge fan of ranged characters or healers.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I made a thread asking this exact same thing a year ago: Warrior, Rogue, Or Mage.

Here's one of my own responses:
I never really go with the warrior classes just because they have way too much raw power. Video games these days are getting easier and easier by the year. Going as a rogue or mage requires you to use more strategy than just raw, wild power. I always also go with the lightest armors possible for the same reason. Games are too easy. Intentionally using something that gives more of an interesting challenge can be more entertaining. In the latest RPG I'm playing, I'm going with a mage/rogue combo and it's working pretty well.

I usually just go with what looks cool, in the online games I play CO (Don't try it, it's not good) the warrior when pure weilds twohand and shield, which I really like, but the archers have the best looking armor and there is another class called trojan (they dual weild) which is really cool as well.

I don't like choosing just one class, but I usually like lance and shield, and I also like the idea of mages like in fire emblem, but no cast time or range, so basically they would fight with punches and kicks, but use magic with it, kinda like avatar characters but better looking.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
If I had to pick, I'd definitely pick mage/priest. I'm obsessed with cool magical stuff cuz its very specialized. Anyone can swing a sword around & learn archery, but it takes a true master to heal & attack magically. I mean think about it, humans have always had the power to use a sword & bow; only a powerful person can have a bunch of cool spells!

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Rogue/mage hybrid like a bard in in D&D. Ranged attacks, trickey, and a little supporting magic.

I like being a mage. Sniping enemies and sneaking up on them aren't my forte, and I find the warrior class a little boring after awhile. So I like to hang back and cast spells. I most prefer characters that can both do a little healing/support and cast awesome spells.

Warriors are my army for close combat situations. Mages are great from attacking from afar. I give the slight edge to mages for their range; if you put a strong allied unit between them and the enemy forcing the enemy to attack the warrior instead with the mage going unscratched, you can reek so serious damage.

Rogues don't fit with my play style. They are very weak and die easily.

It depend on the RP. I have three categories: Responsive, reactive, and video games.

In responsive Rps such as Challenger, I'll usually go with whatever strikes my fancy. I've had a cat woman ninja/beast master, with more rogue/stealth abilities, and a seductress/femme fatale who I would say is more of a mage due to her magical hotness. You know, whatever I want at the time, but I typically go for more rogue characters because I don't rely on brute force much.

In reactive RPs such as Dungeons and Dragons, I tend to go as a warrior. A good DM can limit increasing strength, and spellcasting is a hassle. They can take more damage, and I take a lot of damage...yeah. I also prefer close-range with reactive RPs.

In video games(this is what you meant, isn't it?), I will always, always choose a mage or rogue/mage. I love magic. And in video games, range hassles isn't a huge problem. They're so much fun to play, too.

I may also make my class line up with my character. I hold plot and characters above all else in RPs. Hey, I learned on D&D with actors and storytellers. So if I want to use Melica or Keriki, I'll have a warrior, if I want to use Kirinen I'll choose Rogue, if I want Marceren I choose Mage or Dark Priest... call em crazy. I do it, too.

Mage all the way:D Have played Warcraft for a while ive grown used to dealing insane damage while remaining at a comfortable distance encase i need to run when my teams screws up:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom