• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Romance in Zelda?

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
In Oot I think Malon and Link go together (read theory that's not by me)
http://www.freewebs.com/linkopinko/malinktheory.htm
In TP, Ilia
I'm fine with Zelda at other games

Hoo boy, I read that link. Man, talk about misinformed. His "proof" that Zelda and Link can't be together are based on a theory with no proof itself (that Link and Zelda are siblings), and that if they did marry, the descendents would all be siblings (WHAT?).

Then he ends it with an insult. All TRUE zelda fans know that Link and Malon are meant for each other.

Can I email him a punch to the face?

Seriously, it all comes down to personal bias. Zelda isn't a romance series, so aside from the end of Zelda II, there are no proofs who Link likes or ends up with. He's a nice guy, he treats all the girls the same.

Personally, I'll always be a Zelda supporter. She's the original, she's the one that gets reincarnated with him to fight evil, and its obvious they at least have feelings for each other. Even in the games where there is less proof then others (Twilight Princess), I'll always stick up for my princess.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
that really changes my mind about everything link should either be with malon or zelda and I never heard of a theory about zelda and link being siblings ^^ but It makes sense based on what they said and it does seem like malon and link had few feelingsin Oot to me but i guess this is where a found the theory in the last post http://www.freewebs.com/linkopinko/malinktheory.htm

I don't think it would really fit in the Zelda series, or at least, I wouldn't really want romance in a Zelda game. In a way I think it would ruin it.
First and foremost, a majority of the time when there is 'romance' in something like a video game, it can be out of place, or just 'unfitting'. This isn't always the case, but I wouldn't want some awkward dialogue or cut-scene in the game.

Also, I like Zelda more the 'adventure' part. The exploration and so-forth.

Lastly, I've never actually taken any time to look into, or even care about, relationships, albeit possible relationships, between characters in a Zelda game. So, needless to say, I don't have any formal idea or opinion about such.

E

ergman

what can I say? links a lady's man. he saves the world, and then EVERYONE woud want him.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
I can't believe you people, pairing Link with Saria, pairing Link with Zelda, and pairing Link with Ilia. Does the word "close friends" mean anything to you? Saria and Link are just close childhood friends, in most games the same applies with Zelda, and the same again for Ilia. There are only a few possible couples I could see happening in Zelda.
Link X Midna
Link X Marin
Link X Zelda (in some games, it depends on the game for her)
Link X Navi (Mr. Miyamoto)
And Ilia X Epona. (Just joking there)
Point is, just because two people are close doesn't mean they like each other, I have best friends, and we're close, and we even hug each other, but that doesn't mean we're going to start daing.

Link x Zelda of course! 'Cause Old school is forevurr!!

I love the sentence "Every true zelda fan knows Link and Malon are meant together" while the official manga of Oot stated Eiji Aunoma prefers Zelda x Link.

Btw if anybody want to translate a french interview from Eiji Aunoma that nobody has translated yet on the internet (well good) note me.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Why are we all talking about Link when we're talking about romance? :) TV Tropes is right. He is the fandom's "Little Black Dress." (Goes with everything).

What about LoZ's actual canon couples? Majora's Mask has Kafei x Anju... Twilight Princess has Rusl x Uli... Rusl and Uli have kids together, man!

(Great, now I'm tempted to write a story about their life and how they met and came to the village and stuff... but fanfic is the least thing I should be doing right now).

As for non-canon, Linkless couples... I think the idea of Renado x Telma is cute, even though Renado seems to not be warm to Telma...

As for Link couplings... I have my preferences.

I like ZeLink (Link x Zelda) for most games/scenarios. I've written fanfics that featured it, though none of my stories are particularly "mushy." I made this eventual couple for an "orignal" Link and Zelda in an original-era story. Princess and the hero who saves her is just the fairy-tale classic, so it has that charm.

For Twilight Princess, I've got it *bad* for Link x Midna. It has such a wonderful tragic vibe to it, considering the ending. (And, oh, so many fan artists and fanfic writers have sought to "fix" this ending, including me with a AU-ending story).

I once wrote a one shot story ("Desert Sunset Painted in Shades of Fire" for anyone interested in looking it up) in which Link married Ilia, pines for long lost Midna, and is very good friends/non-romantic with Zelda. He did geninunely love Ilia in the story, the pining for his old memories of Midna comes from the fact that in the story, he's dying.

However, with the exception of the ending of AoL (and I believe Miyamoto is on record as saying that Original Flavor Link married Zelda and became King of Hyrule there)... I prefer the romance to be unconfirmed. I like this because... as a crazy fanfic writer person, this leaves possibilties open. It also works for the whole "Link is the player/controlled by the player" thing, because, with stuff unconfirmed, the player can imagine him liking whomever they want him to like. For instance, although I'm a straight female, as Link's player, I *like* to imagine him as straight and liking certain females. Another fangirl may like to imagine him with Shad or Dark Link or something. It all works out because nothing's confirmed.

It's refreshing after my last fandom (Trigun anime and manga), wherein there wasn't much romance at all in the story (just gunslinging, superpowers, philosophy, blood and thunder)... but there were massive shipping wars. I got right sick of being called "homophobic" just because I preferred main character Vash with petite but firey Insurance Agent Meryl, rather than with his chainsmoking priest best friend, Wolfwood, or with Knives, his genocidal twin brother. And the thing is, EVERYBODY had *evidence.*

So, yeah, with Link, I like some ships, but I like them to be unconfirmed, because I've survived fandom shipwars and know that they suck. Having a malliable main character is great, it's just great.

S

steffann55

Hi There!
This is Steffann!
I would just like to say that just because ruto thinks link has feelings for zelda doesnt make it true. zelda is a MISSING PRINCESS. obviously the hero is looking for the princess. EVERYONE should be looking for the princess, not just link so the fact that hes looking for her doesn't mean he likes her. its basically his duty.

Thanks!...
Good Luck!...

DesertDweller

Love Truth
Purely from what I would like to be the case, I'd say Link's a loner. Ruto thinks she's engaged to him, Saria likes him, Nabooru has her regrets ( ;) ) and Zelda her aspirations, Malon...I'm not too sure about, but Link ignores them all. Yeah, that definitely appeals to me a lot more.

Or, maybe the whole point they leave it open-ended is so that...people like us can discuss it? I mean, they try not to give Link much of a recognizable voice so each player can at some points in the game truly feel like THEY'RE playing. I think the Zelda creators were intentionally vague to let each player individually decide without some sort of textbook "right" answer.

S

Shade

Link and Midna should be together.

I concur :) this was perhaps the best pairing that made the most sense.
The way I see it... Link from OoT can keep Zelda, but in TP, which takes place 100 years after OoT, I believe there's more of a romance between Link and Midna. So there's room for different kind of romances and everyone is happy lol! :lol:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well Link is in love with Saria in OoT (however I believe he may have been a little bit heartbroken when Saria's true identity was revealed).

In TP Link is in love with Ilia.

In AoL it seems that Link is in love with Zelda.

Just three games where Link is given a 'partner' so to speak and even in those games it mostly save Hyrule and kill monsters. Very little romance. Honestly though I'd like to see more of it for Link (and Zelda) in future games cuz romance tends to add a bit more deepness and Kokiri likes things deep. *devours deep dish pizza*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom