• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate The Last TV Series That You Watched

dk902466

mamma mia
Star Trek: The Next Generation - 10/10

I know it's dated, and I know it's pretty long, but the series discusses a lot of topics that were both in depth looks at the human condition as well as analogous to events going on at that time in the world. Anyone that might be burnt out by the Star Wars universe and slightly intrigued by Star Trek will enjoy this trip.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Star Trek: The Next Generation - 10/10

I know it's dated, and I know it's pretty long, but the series discusses a lot of topics that were both in depth looks at the human condition as well as analogous to events going on at that time in the world. Anyone that might be burnt out by the Star Wars universe and slightly intrigued by Star Trek will enjoy this trip.

Now that you mention it, I should add Deep Space Nine. This ain't your granpappy's Star Trek. I've always maintained a moderate interest in Star Trek. I'm far from what you might call a fan. Wrath of Kahn is one of my all time favorite films, but the rest of Star Trek ranges from mediocre to outright poor.

But Deep Space Nine is a remarkable twist on the usual Star Trek lovey-dovey wagon train across the stars premise. DS9 subverts a lot of what you can expect from the rest of Star Trek with situational drama, character conflicts, and more nuanced takes on the oft glorified Federation and other political systems that you can't really expect of the rest of the series' rather one dimensional look at its subject matter.

The cast of characters and their actors blow every other series' cast out of the water for sheer engagement factor. Even returning series' characters like Miles and Worf are done tremendous justice. And Sikso is best Star Trek captain by light years. Instead of another Vulcan we get The Doctor Dax, who is far and again a better concept than the tired old wise Vulcan cliche the series can't help but go with over and over again. Bashir is the series' best doctor because he's an interesting and well portrayed character first and foremost. He really doesn't do medicine all that much in the show. Odo is a superior badass. Quark is the Quarkiest. And they managed to make Kira awesome without her coming off as a sexploitative ball busting b- (*cough* 7/9 *cough*). I even like the kids, Jake and his friend. And we all know how easy it would have been for Star Trek to make another one of the most insufferably obnoxious twits in television history (I'm looking at you, Wesley). Plain Simple Garak is endlessly intriguing. And the show keeps things fresh by routinely introducing new main and supporting characters and plotlines as the show goes on.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Friends

10/10

As a school thing i was making a script of Friends with some friends and they asked me to be Ross. I had never seen the show, and I had heard a lot about it so I gave it a try and lovrd it so much I binged a while season plus some. It helps that the episodes are only a half hour and luckily there are a lot of episodes per season. About 25.

Well, the project eas cancelled but now I found a great show

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Shadowhunters 9/10. I never thought I would say this but man this show has grown from something cheesy into a something very great!! The acting was so off but now halfway season 3 even the main actress has grown into her role (finally!). The story is dark and creepy but so good! I never expected me to say this: I CAN'T WAIT TILL SEASON 3 CONTINUES!!!!!!!! (They had midseason final a week ago and now I have to wait till sept or something for it to continue).

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix 10/10

I haven't read the books, but I am blown away by the show. This is one of the most hysterical dark comedies I've watched in a long time. Although as the recurring themes keep insisting, the humor is dreadfully true to life to be anything but equal parts morbidly funny and woefully disparaging. Awfully poignant for a series meant for children, and frankly, lessons that more kids need to understand if they're interested in paying attention. So I am glad that these books are so popular.

Outstanding acting from the entire cast, and the kids are no exception (which is much appreciated! the only thing worse than a bad actor is a bad child actor. jim carrey being the sole exception). These are some impressively talented young actors. I can never get enough of Patrick Warburton and I can not keep my eyes off Sunny. She's so ADORABLE!! :pikalove: And somehow she manages to have exactly the right expression for every shot! This is either CGI tomfoolery or one suspiciously charismatic baby!

The adult actors make for some of the most impressive villains I've seen in a while. I really really need to punch these jerks in the throat, and that's how you know you've played an effective villain. The expert combination of clever writing and outstanding acting makes the character's villainy and the humor really pop. The comedic timing is especially spot on. I always thought Niel Patrick Harris was amusing, but I haven't seen him flex his acting chops until now. He really pours his heart and soul into Count Olaf, but he doesn't over do it like a certain overactor who has shared the role before him.

K. Todd Freeman's Arthur Poe is especially loathsome. His performance is exquisite. But by far the best of the young actors I've seen so far is Kitana Turnbull, who plays the hysterically malicious and utterly vile Carmelita Spats. The directors really let the cast go wild with their performances. It's utterly delightful!

But the more grounded role of the Baudelaire children makes Malina Weissman and Louis Hyne's performances come off as rather stilted and robotic. I believe this is intentional. The chemistry between the two is remarkable, but there is really only one scene I've seen so far where their exchange really moved me. Usually they don't say much at a time, so there aren't many scenes of extended dialog between them. But the characters, much like their performers, do an adequate job of working together. The Baudelaire's cleverness and tenacity make for good heroic traits, and the writers resisted the temptation to write them as cliche gender tropes as many tv producers and young adult fiction writers tend to do.

The production design of the show is also fascinating. Understandably bleak and depressing, as fitting with the tone, but also remarkably unique and stylish as all get out. Mostly patterned after, perhaps, mid century aesthetics which I simply adore, the show's ruined interiors, stylish architecture and stark landscapes are a wonder to behold. The wardrobe and makeup lend the characters a cartoonish flair that is just grounded in realism enough to be uncanny and surreal, not to mention disturbing. The daily makeup session Harris must endure to become Count Olaf is remarkable dedication, but apparently worth it for a self professed fan of the books.

If there's one thing I can say I dislike about the show is the infrequent musical numbers, especially the godawful intro theme, which basically repeat the same word over and over again for far too long. And Neil Patrick Harris can not sing. Nor should he. Only one number I've heard so far was even remotely amusing, but I certainly could have lived without hearing it. But poor songwriting and vocal performances are acceptable abuse for enjoying such an outstanding show. BRAVO!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix 10/10

I haven't read the books, but I am blown away by the show. This is one of the most hysterical dark comedies I've watched in a long time. Although as the recurring themes keep insisting, the humor is dreadfully true to life to be anything but equal parts morbidly funny and woefully disparaging. Awfully poignant for a series meant for children, and frankly, lessons that more kids need to understand if they're interested in paying attention. So I am glad that these books are so popular.

Outstanding acting from the entire cast, and the kids are no exception (which is much appreciated! the only thing worse than a bad actor is a bad child actor. jim carrey being the sole exception). These are some impressively talented young actors. I can never get enough of Patrick Warburton and I can not keep my eyes off Sunny. She's so ADORABLE!! :pikaluv: And somehow she manages to have exactly the right expression for every shot! This is either CGI tomfoolery or one suspiciously charismatic baby!

The adult actors make for some of the most impressive villains I've seen in a while. I really really need to punch these jerks in the throat, and that's how you know you've played an effective villain. The expert combination of clever writing and outstanding acting makes the character's villainy and the humor really pop. The comedic timing is especially spot on. I always thought Niel Patrick Harris was amusing, but I haven't seen him flex his acting chops until now. He really pours his heart and soul into Count Olaf, but he doesn't over do it like a certain overactor who has shared the role before him.

K. Todd Freeman's Arthur Poe is especially loathsome. His performance is exquisite. But by far the best of the young actors I've seen so far is Kitana Turnbull, who plays the hysterically malicious and utterly vile Carmelita Spats. The directors really let the cast go wild with their performances. It's utterly delightful!

But the more grounded role of the Baudelaire children makes Malina Weissman and Louis Hyne's performances come off as rather stilted and robotic. I believe this is intentional. The chemistry between the two is remarkable, but there is really only one scene I've seen so far where their exchange really moved me. Usually they don't say much at a time, so there aren't many scenes of extended dialog between them. But the characters, much like their performers, do an adequate job of working together. The Baudelaire's cleverness and tenacity make for good heroic traits, and the writers resisted the temptation to write them as cliche gender tropes as many tv producers and young adult fiction writers tend to do.

The production design of the show is also fascinating. Understandably bleak and depressing, as fitting with the tone, but also remarkably unique and stylish as all get out. Mostly patterned after, perhaps, mid century aesthetics which I simply adore, the show's ruined interiors, stylish architecture and stark landscapes are a wonder to behold. The wardrobe and makeup lend the characters a cartoonish flair that is just grounded in realism enough to be uncanny and surreal, not to mention disturbing. The daily makeup session Harris must endure to become Count Olaf is remarkable dedication, but apparently worth it for a self professed fan of the books.

If there's one thing I can say I dislike about the show is the infrequent musical numbers, especially the godawful intro theme, which basically repeat the same word over and over again for far too long. And Neil Patrick Harris can not sing. Nor should he. Only one number I've heard so far was even remotely amusing, but I certainly could have lived without hearing it. But poor songwriting and vocal performances are acceptable abuse for enjoying such an outstanding show. BRAVO!

I love ASOUE it is one of my favourite series of all time. I even got the tattoo! I have rewatched both seasons twice now. The Ersatz Elevator is my favourite book and favourite episode too featuing Gunther, my favourite of Olaf's disguises. Olaf seems like such a fun character to play and NPH did a wonderful job. Though I also loved Carreys take on him which was slightly more menacing and less buffoonish.

I'm surprised you didn't mention your man crush Nathan Fillion in your review!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
I'm surprised you didn't mention your man crush Nathan Fillion in your review!
Actually I only just discovered that he's in this... from IMDB, minutes after I posted my review.

I only just started the 2nd season so... SPOIL AND DIE.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Actually I only just discovered that he's in this... from IMDB, minutes after I posted my review.

I only just started the 2nd season so... SPOIL AND DIE.

Oh! I assumed you had watched the entire show. But it is just the Austere Academy that you have seen so far? I enjoyed those two episodes a lot and especially enjoyed the Vice Principal.

Ninja

Well well well
Just started watching A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix. I loved the books and I'm enjoying the show so far.

Dark -10/10
It's my fav TV show now. I'm in Europe now but even here through proxy I can watch Netflix US content. That's so convy. Now I can watch any blocked content from every corner of the globe

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Just started watching The Office (US version) for the first time ever. I'm on Season 4 right now, and it's quite the experience!
I watched episode 1 of the office and stopped because I personally wasn't impressed.

I finished bingeing all of the Episodes of Friends and now I am super sad and feel like I never want to watch a TV show again

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I watched episode 1 of the office and stopped because I personally wasn't impressed.

I finished bingeing all of the Episodes of Friends and now I am super sad and feel like I never want to watch a TV show again
The first season of the Office isn't great. I watched that season once. If you ever feel like you want to give the show another shot, I'd recommend skipping to season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom