• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Solomon’s Key 2 (aka Fire and Ice) for NES. Top quality and addictive little puzzler, quite tricky in parts but VERY good fun, simple and well made. Well worth finding a ROM if you have an emulator set up. 9.5/10

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Balan's Wonderworld
Yes, I did actually buy it. It wasn't as bad as I had feared when people was talking about the demo, but I do agree that it needs a lot of polish. If they would be given some more time, I think it could have been an amazing game, now it was closer to "meh" on the scale. It still has some good qualities, but the bad ones affect the gameplay too much, which is terrible in a platformer.
The music is amazing, as is the character design, so no complaints there.

Becasue of that, I'm willing to give it a 6/10.
But bear in mind that the 6 is a weak 6, I just couldn't really find it in me to make it a 5... It could have been worse

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 6.5/10

I hate to say it, but this was one I really lost interest in after a while. I think it's a nicely done game overall, but the gameplay style just doesn't do enough to hold my attention. So much so that I'm dropping it because I don't feel like continuing. That said, I think the visual design is excellent, the music and atmosphere are nice, and the levels themselves are really creative. There were a few moments where the controls got me frustrated (looking at a boss in the latter half of the game specifically), but for the pace the game typically goes at, it's not too bad. Good game, just not for me. I guess that's why it sat in my backlog for over a year before I returned to it, eh?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Balan's Wonderworld
Yes, I did actually buy it. It wasn't as bad as I had feared when people was talking about the demo, but I do agree that it needs a lot of polish. If they would be given some more time, I think it could have been an amazing game, now it was closer to "meh" on the scale. It still has some good qualities, but the bad ones affect the gameplay too much, which is terrible in a platformer.
The music is amazing, as is the character design, so no complaints there.

Becasue of that, I'm willing to give it a 6/10.
But bear in mind that the 6 is a weak 6, I just couldn't really find it in me to make it a 5... It could have been worse
how accurate is dunkey's video

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Grandia 2

you know what, I love this game, I had such a great time w/ it despite all of the little problems I have w/ it, heck the responsiveness of battle I think even felt better in the first Grandia, but I just vibed w/ the journey so much that I just wanted to keep playing, and Millenia's the breast best, wish she showed up more in the later half of the game

and I don't know why the cast is almost filled w/ Metal Gear voice actors but that's a giant plus in my book

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. A good solid game, worthy of the franchise. Not the toughest Castlevania game out there but plenty of challenge and enjoyment to be had. It would be a 9/10 if not for the magic seal mechanic. Unfortunately this hasn’t aged well and feels really gimmicky now, so it’s going to be an 8/10. Don’t let this put you off if you’ve not played it though - it’s definitely worth a few playthroughs!

TahDiscoBall

He does what Ninten-shouldn't.
Freakyforms: Your Creations Alive! - 6.4/10.

You know, for a game intended for a very young audience supposedly, it's actually not half bad for them. The customization is very intuitive, the controls work decently well and the side modes are also fun. The main gameplay isn't really that deep, but it's still pretty nice to go around and do tasks for the locals. All in all, if you're looking for a proper game to play, you should look elsewhere. But, it is quite a nice distraction if you're bored.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nier Replican't finish the game - 6/10

Very few people can accomplish the colossal task of blending humanistic storytelling and existentialistic ideals into a bleak post-apocalypse setting, emphasizing the struggles of the last remnants of mankind. But Yoko Taro somehow pulls it off by dwelling on isolated, internal conflicts of the main character--out to save his sister from an invading darkness--and the supporting cast--a pariah exiled from her village and a boy who could once turn anyone to stone at a glance. Some sidequests also present emotional moments--the man with the red bag and the remaining Junk Scrap brother come to mind. These character-building instances are the meat and bone of Replicant.

And can I just take a second to talk about the music? I've listened to the original's soundtrack extensively, but to actually see it in the full context of the story is something else. Keiichi and his sound team at Monaco deliver again, as does Emi Evans with her spectacular vocals.

However... The game is severely handicapped by an archaic design flaw that wasn't even that acceptable at its initial release a decade ago. Being a remastered port of the original, Replicant offers very little in the way of QoL features. This is very noticeable from the outset, as you set off to one place, take care of business, go all the way back to the Village, and talk to the administrator, only to get sent back to the place you just came from. All this without any "fast travel" until halfway through the story. The game is riddled with backtrack quests, and even the "fast travel" option is so inconvenient because there are so few of them and so far out of the way that it's pointless to use them.

Conversely, there are mailboxes used for saving the game all over the world nearby the majority of objectives, but the game is designed to draw itself out as thinly as possible. So why not just use the mailboxes as warp points in addition to saving? The aforementioned red bag man's quest, for example, is one of the mandatory story missions, but it makes you go between the Village and Seafront about three to five times to discover his whereabouts. And the real kicker is that he was the one in charge of the ferry/fast travel option. Yes, his story is emotionally investing, but the process of completing it is nothing short of a waste of time. And that's a damn shame.

In fact, the same could be said for the majority of the sidequests, which can be summed up as glorified fetchquests. It's always an outrageous number such as, "Gather 10 moonflowers for me!" or "Catch me 10 sardines!" Seeing stuff like this wore thin for me because it was all artificial lengthening.

Lastly, I simply wasn't able to beat the game because of something I can only assume was a bug. I did beat the final boss and save the protag's sister, but in typical Taro fashion there always has to be a gimmick at the end. The catch here is that I had to enter a custom name, EMIYA, into the textbox in order to stir Yonah's (the sister's) memories, but the game wouldn't allow it go through. I tried putting a space before and after to no avail, and the name that I entered at the beginning of the game wouldn't register. Finally, I decided to reload the save hoping that it would set me back to a decent spawn point. Instead, it loaded at the beginning of the final dungeon, meaning that another hour's progress was gone with the wind.

I wanted to see this game to the end, but there's a good chance that the same bug would pop up if I tried going through it again. There's plenty to like about Replicant, such as its combat and extensive weapon editing to inflict numerous statuses, in addition to some awesome spells. It's just a pity that the backtracking wasn't trimmed down some.

Whelp, time to go talk to Popola again! (¬_¬")

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
bloodborne is prolly a 4/7
I'm enjoying it more on this revisit than I did the first time around, but a lot of that is due to having online access and therefore being able to join custom chalice dungeons, one of which granted me enough souls to level up about 100 times before being even a quarter of the way through the game.
There are a lot of problems with blooborne's design execution, particularly around the healing mechanics; while the concept behind regaining HP is sound, in execution you often aren't given many chances to heal HP except against slow moving mob enemies. Since the entire game is designed around this mechanic it creates a domino effect with things like blood vial usage
one of those cases where good design leads to weak gameplay

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Resident Evil VII

I’ve been putting this one off for ages due to RE 5, 6 and those spin off titles that were pretty much using a franchise’s clout to generate sales (Operation Racoon City, Revelations 1 and 2), but was pleasantly surprised. Despite the first person perspective, the game feels like it channels the spirit of the original tank control games with all the modern improvements you would expect. A very solid 8/10 for me at the moment. Very much looking forward to what VIII has to offer now.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Touhou Luna Nights - 9/10

Tight as heck gameplay, nice pixel art, banging music. All around really good metroidvania.

Only thing I wish is that there were more of it to play.

Just kinda short for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom